#321 Damocles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:09 PM

View PostL`zard, on 16 May 2012 - 11:50 AM, said:

Well, Paul is using the G940 so you can't go wrong with that, lol!

After reading soo many bad things about the G940 (which I am aiming to buy myself), I would love to hear Pauls' review on it.

#322 Tombstone Jackson

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 17 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:27 PM

Microsoft Force FeedBack2 which I purchased back in the late 90's. Still works great, its very durable and weighs about as much as a bowling ball. I'm all about the durability, not sure if there's anything out there now that could withstand the punishment I've put the FB2 through.

#323 CyBerkut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationSomewhere north of St. Petersburg

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:47 AM

View PostSeagon, on 18 May 2012 - 02:38 AM, said:

I decided somewhere last year i should invest in a proper HOTAS setup and after seeing the Saitek products, i settled for the X-65F system.
It has been explained before, and i'm not sure if any of you guys have it (I only could read the first 8 pages before giving up on the other 9), but in my opinion it's a great stick.
It has been modelled after real jet fighter sticks, though there is a difference.
Real combat pilots complained about the real stick not having some degree of movement, making it hard to "feel" what you are doing to the aircraft, so they added a bit of movement, but not much which improved control.

Not i figured, why not make a base mount that has some slack as well (Having some slack also decreases the tension on the hand/wrist as you can't predict on how far you can push before the maximum theshold is reached for the force sensing).
Right now, i mounted it loosely with velcro strips, which makes it less sturdy in it's feel. But i'm thinking of mounting it on my desk, but added with some form of tight springs or suspensions on 4 sides.

We had a discussion related to this over on SimHQ. I don't know if the OP ever implemented a mod though.

http://simhq.com/for...tml#Post3504406

#324 VarietyOfCells

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 904 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNYC

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:12 PM

Finally figured out a great control setup for MWLL. I wanted to use my thrustmaster HOTAS to keep the immersion, but the actionmapper in MWLL is not very good. Can't really blame the creators of the mod because it's just a mod, but there's no non-linear curve settings for the joystick sensitivity, so it's quite difficult to be precise when aiming; especially when zoomed in. I heard about how a lot of people use the joystick in the left hand and the mouse in the right, but i didn't like the idea of having to put constant pressure forward or backward to keep the mech moving. I prefer the throttle where I can set it and leave it until it needs changing. Feel much more like a tank or plane that way.

So here's my compromise: there's a rocker on my throttle that can control the rudder on planes if you don't like the twisty stick (which I don't), so I mapped that to turn the mech, have the mouse in my right hand and forget about the stick. Works great. Much more precise now. Even the turning is more precise, and I still keep some of the immersion.

I do hope there are better configuration options in MWO, but at least now I know I have a setup that will work and I'll still remain competitive.

Edited by VarietyOfCells, 18 May 2012 - 12:14 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users