#161 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 August 2015 - 09:45 PM

Rule of thumb for ammo
1 ton of ammo for every 5 tubes to maintain a minimum battle loadout.
You're best bet would be to do this +2 tons to double that depending on the mech. If it is your primary weapon, you do not want your tubes going dry.

So if you have 40 tubes, take a minimum 10 tons ammo. 20 tubes, 6 tons

#162 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 30 August 2015 - 11:20 PM

View Postheimdelight, on 03 August 2015 - 01:54 PM, said:

Sure, you can play them, but they are significantly worse weapons than almost anything else available. I'd also like to say as a competitive player, I have never lost to LRMs and never taken them into a competitive match. Again, LRMs can be used in a competitive match, but it would end extremely bad.

I disagree. There are worse weapons available: Machineguns and Flamers. Then again, a machinegun/flamer mech will beat a LRMboat in a 1vs1 duel :-)

PS. Battlemaster BLR-1S may be one of the best LRM mechs out there, but you would you use LRMs when you can install 4xLPLs? Large Pulse Laser is one of the best IS weapons, and when you add quirks (+25% range, -10% heat generation -12.50 % duration) it becomes beastly.
4xLPL Battlemaster will deal 44 damage, from 500 meters away, to the CT of a LRM Battlemaster before it even achieves a lock. It will take 3,125 seconds for the LRMs to travel 500 meters. It's enough time to go to the toilet or make yourself a coffee, then come back and move back into cover.
4xLPL Battlemaster does not fear ECM, or a back-stabbing light mech. At 78 kph, he is the one that does the back-stabbing. And when I'm in a light mech, I fear IS LPLs more than I fear streaks...

PS2. Lately I've been using Hellbingers in solo queue. Haven't been killed or disarmed by LRMs even once... 104 matches and counting.

Edited by Kmieciu, 30 August 2015 - 11:24 PM.

#163 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 30 August 2015 - 11:28 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 15 August 2015 - 06:56 PM, said:

Ah yes. Nothing finer when the archer kills a swordsman with their dagger.

That's how my Pain Train got it's single ML renamed the "Mighty Medium Lazor of DOOOOOooooommmmmm!"

My Orion uses a pair of MPLs and a pair of MGs.

Some games I've gotten more kills with those than the LRMs.

Also, the most important note of "being a pro LRM player":

Pros don't use LRMs, as LRMs are situational and hence utterly depending on how much ECM is in the area, the map, and so on. While you can be a pro with LRMs, you'll be laughed at against high-tier players as you die frustrated from a lack of targets and a hail of laserspam. LRMs do not even touch the bottom rung of the meta, with the possible exceptions of the Hunchback-J and Trebuchet-7M- and that only because of their really, really powerful quirks. You will plateau in effectiveness as player skill (and equipment choice) is refined.

That being said, I don't really give a flying fig. I just like lobbing missiles. Realize a good LRM player paints a big "YOU WERE BAD AND SHOULD FEEL BAD" on any group that eats death after death from your launchers. You will be hated. You will be called horrible, nasty things.

You will be able to make a list of the truly horrid, no-skill players in the game by these chimplike rage noises. Relish it. God's in his Heaven and all is right with the world.

#164 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 August 2015 - 11:28 PM

View PostKmieciu, on 30 August 2015 - 11:20 PM, said:

I disagree. There are worse weapons available: Machineguns and Flamers. Then again, a machinegun/flamer mech will beat a LRMboat in a 1vs1 duel :-)

PS. Battlemaster BLR-1S may be one of the best LRM mechs out there, but you would you use LRMs when you can install 4xLPLs? Large Pulse Laser is one of the best IS weapons, and when you add quirks (+25% range, -10% heat generation -12.50 % duration) it becomes beastly.
4xLPL Battlemaster will deal 44 damage, from 500 meters away, to the CT of a LRM Battlemaster before it even achieves a lock. It will take 3,125 seconds for the LRMs to travel 500 meters. It's enough time to go to the toilet or make yourself a coffee, then come back and move back into cover.
4xLPL Battlemaster does not fear ECM, or a back-stabbing light mech. At 78 kph, he is the one that does the back-stabbing. And when I'm in a light mech, I fear IS LPLs more than I fear streaks...

PS2. Lately I've been using Hellbingers in solo queue. Haven't been killed or disarmed by LRMs even once... 104 matches and counting.

You'd love my "Worlds Biggest Kintaro" loadout for the 1S then.

#165 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 30 August 2015 - 11:34 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 30 August 2015 - 11:28 PM, said:

That must have been before the quirk pass? Because nowadays LPLs ob BLR-1S have 493 meter range (module included).
Personally I don't like to install any missiles on the ST, because it enlarges the hitbox and makes you extremely easy to kill.

#166 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 August 2015 - 11:38 PM

Yeah, that video is about 8 months old from when I took it. Just couldn't find the right music or edit to make it work for me.

#167 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 30 August 2015 - 11:46 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 30 August 2015 - 11:38 PM, said:

Yeah, that video is about 8 months old from when I took it. Just couldn't find the right music or edit to make it work for me.

Your video proves my point though. 3xLPL is enough of a weapon for an assault mech, while LRM5s are solely to make noobs panic. If the last Stalker had 6xLL, AC20+2xLPL or even if it was a SRM build, you would be dead.
If the last Catapult was a 2xGauss build, it would probably one-shot you. Instead, the enemy used LRMs and that sealed their fate.

#168 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 August 2015 - 11:48 PM

Actually, the LRM5s gave me a great deal of tactical flexibility and yes, the ability to psy op and control the battlefield.

And your points are well taken. It's the problem with convergence right now. If LRMs were allowed the same convergence, most of those mechs would have died from the constant pounding of up to 20 damage on singular componants. It's why we need to bring in cone of fire for all grouped/simultaneous DF weapons to balance out the game and increase TTK for better matches.

#169 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:03 AM

lrm battlemaster... you know, it reminded me one game when i chased down and burned some mechs in the vicinity of an lrm battlemaster simply ignoring the lrm rain and then ran away alive while the master cried something like 'you no skill streakboat, return and fight!', was pretty funny. hint, direct fire battlemaster would be impossible to ignore... consider to use direct fire weapon on your assaults, lrm assaults don't even differ much from lrm mediums by firepower...

Edited by bad arcade kitty, 31 August 2015 - 12:03 AM.

#170 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:04 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 30 August 2015 - 11:48 PM, said:

It's why we need to bring in cone of fire for all grouped/simultaneous DF weapons to balance out the game and increase TTK for better matches.

I'm also tired of the pinpoint meta, but I seriously doubt that's going to ever happen.
Best you can hope for is a LRM spread quirk for some iconic LRM mechs.

#171 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:08 AM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 31 August 2015 - 12:03 AM, said:

lrm assaults don't even differ much from lrm mediums by firepower...

LOL, that's true. LRM50 Battlemaster has 17,6 DPS (with LRM15 and 10 cooldown) while LRM20 HBK-4J has 16,2 DPS. Not a difference worth 35 tons IMO.

#172 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:12 AM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 31 August 2015 - 12:03 AM, said:

lrm battlemaster... you know, it reminded me one game when i chased down and burned some mechs in the vicinity of an lrm battlemaster simply ignoring the lrm rain and then ran away alive while the master cried something like 'you no skill streakboat, return and fight!', was pretty funny. hint, direct fire battlemaster would be impossible to ignore... consider to use direct fire weapon on your assaults, lrm assaults don't even differ much from lrm mediums by firepower...

I agree. Although the outcome was bad, this was a blast to do. If it does not start at 6:22 fast forward to it.

https://youtu.be/wQPckyLi8y4?t=6m22s

#173 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 06 September 2015 - 04:12 AM

And yes...I, in fact, did run a match with the author of this thread in HPG Manifold (I was packing lasers at the time, however) and watched the LRM5pocalypse Of Doom in real time.

It was impressive. Most impressive.

#174 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 06 September 2015 - 04:15 AM

View PostChados, on 06 September 2015 - 04:12 AM, said:

And yes...I, in fact, did run a match with the author of this thread in HPG Manifold (I was packing lasers at the time, however) and watched the LRM5pocalypse Of Doom in real time.

It was impressive. Most impressive.

Seen her in action more than a few times. Not thrilled when she's not on my team because I know I'm going to need my bumberchute.

#175 Chados

• 1,948 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:08 AM

Thread needs a bump.

#176 Wolfhagen

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 37 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 September 2015 - 07:21 AM

Nice guide and best video tutorial ever seen.

Missed some information.
Whats the average amount of damage in need to kill a (for example) Atlas with LRMs?
In view of your average accurracy (profile-stats-weaponsstats), how long does it take to inflict effects to the enemies fighting strength and how long does it take to kill him ?

#177 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 04:41 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 30 August 2015 - 11:28 PM, said:

Sorry but I have to 1 up that

"Worlds Biggest Kintaro" + Cannons Build for the 1R

I have made the Kintaro comparison with the Mauler 1R a few times, pretty well how I play it.

EDIT: THIS THREAD SHOULD BE A STICKY.

Edited by Tractor Joe, 29 September 2015 - 04:58 PM.

#178 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 11:40 PM

View PostKmieciu, on 30 August 2015 - 11:20 PM, said:

LRM 1S used to be a favorite build of mine...been doing the 4 ERLL with XL400 lately though. 911m with range module but 4 high mounted LPLs sound fun.

#179 Chados

• 1,948 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 01:25 PM

Worth yet another bump.

#180 Chados

• 1,948 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 01:35 PM

View PostTractor Joe, on 29 September 2015 - 04:41 PM, said:

Sorry but I have to 1 up that

"Worlds Biggest Kintaro" + Cannons Build for the 1R

I have made the Kintaro comparison with the Mauler 1R a few times, pretty well how I play it.

EDIT: THIS THREAD SHOULD BE A STICKY.

An outstanding display of LRMishing, Tractor Joe. This is how you LRM. Up close and personal, with liberal use of lasers and autocannons. When the Mauler is out for Cbills, I may need to test out this concept!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users