Alpine Is The Worst Map.

60 replies to this topic

#1 Kazvall

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:51 AM

It really needs a rework. Every game is the same thing. Can candy mountain be removed? Thanks.

#2 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:59 AM

Been a while since we had one of these "I can't control my pugs so the map is crap and must be removed/reworked" threads.

The map is fine, the pug tactics are not. Note: I've won and lost on both sides of the issue here. It's not the map.

#3 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:04 AM

Alpine is fine, you just need to convince your team there is more map than just the mountain. like the other mountain behind it.

What map really sucks is Forest Colony.

#4 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:12 AM

All the maps are ok, but FC is too small... Needs to be enlarged (which I believe is in the works). IMO all the maps should be about the size of Alpine/Crimson/Tourmaline.

#5 LT. HARDCASE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:15 AM

No way. Not in a world where Terra Therma exists.

#6 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:17 AM

View PostKevjack, on 19 December 2014 - 09:15 AM, said:

Much, much better map than forest colony, river city and frozen city in a 12 v 12 environment.

#7 Aiden Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:39 AM

Alpine is fine. It's one of the few ranged maps where have. The only problem with alpine is the mentality of many people that play it.

Ok so the enemy takes the hill on h10. Why do people feel it necessary to poke at them from the low ground or siege them out by charging the hill when they already hold it? If the enemy is on h10, a better option would be to take the hill on H11. Anything on H10 will be in the open and have no cover from your ranged weapons unless they fall back. If they try to charge you, then guess what? They are now fighting from the low ground!

The problem in PUGs is often people don't know when fall back as well. Example - you're working an entrance on Terra therma, you lose 1 mech....2 mechs. People don't realize it's not working and move to try a different angle. No, they prefer to sit there in the same position and get hammered 1 by 1 until the enemy team goes into mop up mode. Same could be said about peeking the H8 corner on alpine and losing mechs 1 by 1.

#8 0bsidion

• 1,653 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:43 AM

View PostKevjack, on 19 December 2014 - 09:15 AM, said:

I have to agree, I'm so not a fan of Mount Doom or the rest of Mordor for that matter.

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 19 December 2014 - 09:17 AM, said:

Much, much better map than forest colony, river city and frozen city in a 12 v 12 environment.

Sorry but that's a matter of opinion, and I wouldn't call Mordor a much better map than anything. It's pretty much the bottom of the list for me.

#9 Dorion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:47 AM

Alpine is to cold. Heater doesn't work right in my mech and my battery powered socks won't interface to my mech for extended warmth. Its difficult for me to receive mail from home on this map as is size is presents difficulty recovering the mail drop from the postal mech. There is a lack of good restaurants here and despite the radio towers, no good radio stations. I can't see the other lances when we start so its always difficult to use our super secret hand signal codes through the windows. I like to do snow angels in my humaniod mechs but am having trouble doing so on this map. On the flips side, very easy to make snow cones here. :D Sorry, couldn't resist.

All seriousness. Have no problem with this map. I like some maps more than others, but I'll takem all becuase I enjoy the variety. Night time maps are the ones that make me groan the most, but again I'll take the variety any day!

#10 LordMelvin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 567 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:55 AM

View Post0bsidion, on 19 December 2014 - 09:43 AM, said:

I have to agree, I'm so not a fan of Mount Doom or the rest of Mordor for that matter.

Sorry but that's a matter of opinion, and I wouldn't call Mordor a much better map than anything. It's pretty much the bottom of the list for me.

Nascar Valley is pretty low on the list too. Basically any map with a centralized landmark is a flame for the moths to flock to.

Forest Colony, River City, and Frozen City aren't bad maps layout-wise, they're just too small for 12v12. I'd actually like more maps like them. Plenty of cover, multiple tactically sensible positions, nice killboxes for brawling. Just make them the size of Alpine and we've got a deal.

#11 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:15 PM

View PostLordMelvin, on 19 December 2014 - 11:55 AM, said:

Nascar Valley is pretty low on the list too. Basically any map with a centralized landmark is a flame for the moths to flock to.

Forest Colony, River City, and Frozen City aren't bad maps layout-wise, they're just too small for 12v12. I'd actually like more maps like them. Plenty of cover, multiple tactically sensible positions, nice killboxes for brawling. Just make them the size of Alpine and we've got a deal.

Those three maps are fine for 12v12, at least as much as something like Terra Therma is. We really just end up running into problems of strategic choke-points where mechs get stuck grouping up. Forest Colony has no cover in the river which forces people into the canyon and tunnel, Frozen City likewise with the small city vs going over the open hill. River City doesn't really have many issues other than the fact that the lower city spawn is too spread out because charging down from the upper city is too easy and you get caught in the open water - so basically just a matter of moving spawns around, because the map has lots of areas to fight in, more than any other imo.

I've started to hate Alpine too because for such a large map the fight literally takes place at the same hill every time, and often it is decided by how far away the assaults spawn. I like the overall idea of the map, but some of the map flow could use work to keep games more diverse. At least with maps like Terra Therma there are a few different routes to take to move around. On Alpine flanking is impossible because of the sightlines.

Edited by Fate 6, 19 December 2014 - 12:18 PM.

#12 Variant1

• 1,148 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:44 PM

All the maps are good. The only 2 that i have a problem with is alpine and caustic valley because of the lack of cover. Alpine is quite a nice and open map even if the meta is to take the hill, its still pretty neat. I sometimes get games were people don't immediately rush the hill, were the battle is scattered it's pretty interesting soemtimes. I can agree as to why you dont like it because of the main hill i mentioned but removing it will add more problems then solve them, right now we need a lot more maps so we dont get bored from playing the same one.

#13 Xyroc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 855 posts
  • LocationFighting the Clan Invasion

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:58 PM

View Postcdlord, on 19 December 2014 - 08:59 AM, said:

Been a while since we had one of these "I can't control my pugs so the map is crap and must be removed/reworked" threads.

The map is fine, the pug tactics are not. Note: I've won and lost on both sides of the issue here. It's not the map.

... no one is saying they cant win. OP stated the battle only revolves around the one mountain and he doesnt like it. I happen to agree.

Edited by Xyroc, 19 December 2014 - 12:59 PM.

#14 Dulahan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 361 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:04 PM

Alpine's probably my favorite map, personally.

Least? River City (Day or Night). Statistically I should say Forest Colony, because somehow my win percentage on that one is... abysmal, like WAY out of the margin of error. Seriously, all my others are within .3 of a 50% win/lose ratio. At most. But basic Forest Colony? .35 - that's it. It's .35. My next worst is like .83. And best is 1.42 for the other aberration there. But really, really boggled by how apparently bad I am on FC. Especially when FC Snow is 1.04.

#15 zortesh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 624 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:29 PM

View PostW A R K H A N, on 19 December 2014 - 09:39 AM, said:

Alpine is fine. It's one of the few ranged maps where have. The only problem with alpine is the mentality of many people that play it.

Ok so the enemy takes the hill on h10. Why do people feel it necessary to poke at them from the low ground or siege them out by charging the hill when they already hold it? If the enemy is on h10, a better option would be to take the hill on H11. Anything on H10 will be in the open and have no cover from your ranged weapons unless they fall back. If they try to charge you, then guess what? They are now fighting from the low ground!

The problem in PUGs is often people don't know when fall back as well. Example - you're working an entrance on Terra therma, you lose 1 mech....2 mechs. People don't realize it's not working and move to try a different angle. No, they prefer to sit there in the same position and get hammered 1 by 1 until the enemy team goes into mop up mode. Same could be said about peeking the H8 corner on alpine and losing mechs 1 by 1.

Sniper mindset.

H11 is great for snipers, heck as my spider its my favorite place to hang out.

but regular mechs are better off charging the hill then they are taking h11, becuase in h11 they would be out of there effective range with no ability to close range.

For instance as a brawler that rush up the hill and into close range is the only real choice.

As my lrm narc combo i love so much, h11 is useless as noone is within narc range, but going strait up the hill lets me narc and drive back everyone from the edge, and then push them back behind layer of cover after layer of cover til there all dead.

#16 Captain Stiffy

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:33 PM

View PostKazvall, on 19 December 2014 - 08:51 AM, said:

It really needs a rework. Every game is the same thing. Can candy mountain be removed? Thanks.

Needs dislike button.

#17 Kirkland Langue

• Bad Company
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:51 PM

The worst Normal Queue maps are easily Tourmaline Desert and Viridian Bog. Both are "pretty" - but the environmental hit boxes on each are so abysmal that any value of having a pretty map is thrown away in favor of having a map that actually behaves properly.

#18 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:54 PM

View PostKirkland Langue, on 19 December 2014 - 01:51 PM, said:

The worst Normal Queue maps are easily Tourmaline Desert and Viridian Bog. Both are "pretty" - but the environmental hit boxes on each are so abysmal that any value of having a pretty map is thrown away in favor of having a map that actually behaves properly.

How can you talk about hotboxes and leave out HPG?? O.o HPG is the worst for it imo....

Still love the maps though, all of them!

Edited by cdlord, 19 December 2014 - 01:54 PM.

#19 F4T 4L

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:54 PM

View PostKazvall, on 19 December 2014 - 08:51 AM, said:

We really need an in-game poll, so questions like this can be put to the player-base, rather than just forum try-hards, I think.

#20 Grey Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 661 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:56 PM

I don't know if I dislike the map Caustic Valley, or just how PUGs tend to play it every... single... time...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users