And The Non-Defense Defense Begins!

48 replies to this topic

#21 t w

• PipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:05 AM

View PostLord0fHats, on 01 May 2015 - 11:27 PM, said:

The Ghost drop timer was not a fix to the issue. A single 12 man can make 4-5 ghost drops in an hour (because it only takes 2-3 min to finish a ghost drop). 2 or 3 12 mans, like we often see in large coordinated attacks, can blow through a planet in an hour and capture it even without ghost drops.

This is an improvement over the previous status quo (though I'd still prefer something better, like a score board to decide capture).

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

#22 Tasker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:15 AM

Very amused to see that player who intentionally timer scam and try to force ghost drops as method of CW combat decide to post thread crying about own tactics.

Ha Ha Ha.

#23 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:21 AM

View PostTasker, on 02 May 2015 - 07:15 AM, said:

Very amused to see that player who intentionally timer scam and try to force ghost drops as method of CW combat decide to post thread crying about own tactics.

Ha Ha Ha.

A lot of factions don't have 100+ players on.. Sometimes the best we can pull is 1, 12man. When you're limited on players you do what you can. I don't blame anyone for doing everything in the rules to win. Doesn't mean you can't ask for a change.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 02 May 2015 - 07:22 AM.

#24 Ron Ron

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 162 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:24 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 02 May 2015 - 07:21 AM, said:

A lot of factions don't have 100+ players on.. Sometimes the best we can pull is 1, 12man. When you're limited on players you do what you can. I don't blame anyone for doing everything in the rules to win. Doesn't mean you can't ask for a change.

I blame them, and will call them big baby men who cry baby tears cause they can't win and try to just make the game miserable for all other people involved

#25 Aresye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:15 AM

View PostGrizzlyViking, on 01 May 2015 - 01:10 PM, said:

While solving the attack/defend issue for Tukayyid PGI has unintentionally caused a more far reaching problem for day-to-day regular CW. The new alternating attack/defense modes have effectively doubled the amount of time it takes to ghost drop on a planet. If you have 2 very committed 12-mans who have nothing to do for 2.5 hours (MINIMUM), then you could take an enemy planet by ghost drop. However, that is not the point really. The real point here is that any faction that decides to ignore enemy attacks can let things go for 2.5 or more hours depending on how dedicated the attackers are to their cause. If there is only one company attacking, then you can add another hour to make it 3.5 hours. In reality we may as well round up to make it 3-4 hours of ghost drops for only the most diligent groups of attackers. Everybody who plays CW on a regular basis knows that no unit/12-man group is going to spend much time ghost dropping for little to no reward, especially when it takes hours just to top the 50% mark. I predict that no defense will be the new popular defense mode until PGI changes things again.

If your 12man spends the enormous amount of time to fully ghost drop it to capture it, wouldn't the defense have the same issue once you leave? Like, wouldn't it take the same amount of time for them to ghost drop it back to defend it?

The way I see it, this change has prevented the whole last 1-2hr planet spam, which is good. A planet should be captured over the course of the entire attack window. Not the last 45min.

#26 InRev

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:23 AM

View PostAresye Kerensky, on 02 May 2015 - 09:15 AM, said:

If your 12man spends the enormous amount of time to fully ghost drop it to capture it, wouldn't the defense have the same issue once you leave? Like, wouldn't it take the same amount of time for them to ghost drop it back to defend it?

The way I see it, this change has prevented the whole last 1-2hr planet spam, which is good. A planet should be captured over the course of the entire attack window. Not the last 45min.

What he is saying is that players like me are going "**** this ****" and leaving CW completely because nobody is dropping on defense because ghost drops take too long to be a credible threat.

The 100% best way to defend a planet now is to not defend it at all because the attackers will just gouge their eyeballs out from boredom due to having to ghost twice to get a zone.

#27 GrizzlyViking

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:31 AM

View PostTasker, on 02 May 2015 - 07:15 AM, said:

Ha Ha Ha.

I know I am right on track when I get your attention Tasker. heheheheh :)

#28 GrizzlyViking

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:40 AM

View PostAresye Kerensky, on 02 May 2015 - 09:15 AM, said:

Yes it would take them the same amount of time, but does any unit have 12 or more players who will spend 3-4 hours a day ghost dropping against turrets and beacons? Nobody wants to ghost drop, even for 1 hour much less 3-4 hours. While I don't disagree with the idea of preventing last minute planet flipping, I don't think the current system is a good way to do that.

Edited by GrizzlyViking, 02 May 2015 - 09:41 AM.

#29 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,740 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 02 May 2015 - 11:42 AM

The change has both a positive and a negative side to it. The next phase should include NPC, both mechs and tanks. The AI level would be determined by canon Clan and House units garrisoned / with beachhead, to be determined by PGI. So instead of a ghost drop it becomes a PVE drop with an unknown AI level each drop and the forces aligned again the unit should not be even.

Besides a PVE, the other option would be to reduce the number of assault/defense available planets at the start of each session, to funnel players. Other vectors can be opened once the original objective has been taken. But if planet would need to be kept to allow the winning the next objective to open up the next target. Think of it as a supply line setup. Even though your faction may own the planets next to the 2nd or 3rd objective, the supply line is not coming from those planets.

There would still be the issue of leading a horse to water but can not force it to drink. Maybe it is best to have either one defending or one attacking planet per border. And have the defend/attack option switch each session until improvements are made and/or population increases.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 02 May 2015 - 11:53 AM.

#30 Lord0fHats

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 619 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 06:42 PM

View Postt w, on 02 May 2015 - 07:05 AM, said:

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

You're just mad you can't roll a planet at will anymore :P

#31 Lord0fHats

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 619 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:11 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 02 May 2015 - 11:42 AM, said:

The change has both a positive and a negative side to it.

To be clear, there is no problem with this change per se. The old method was profoundly broken, as victory went to the more numerous side by default via the ability to trap attackers in counter-attacks and force ghost drops.

Rather now the change has highlighted not a new problem but a problem thats been around since CW started; there just aren't enough active CW players. We have 10 factions with 17k players spread among them during a major event; and of that 17k, half only earned 10 points (or less) during the event. 10 points over an entire week. Those players must have only played 1 or 2 games, maybe 3, a day the entire week taking for granted those same players played games where they earned no points. Many probably played 2-3 games period.

The reality is that there is a big galaxy to fight over, a game mode that assumes players want to fight over it, and the hard truth that there aren't enough of us that actually want to fight over it.

Edited by Lord0fHats, 02 May 2015 - 07:14 PM.

#32 ZenFool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 414 posts
  • LocationOrion's Bible Belt

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:25 PM

View PostLord0fHats, on 02 May 2015 - 06:42 PM, said:

You're just mad you can't roll a planet at will anymore :P

Umm...As a clanner you realize that PGI is fixing it for you right?

This was literally mentioned as a major game breaker one week in by IS and clanners ridiculed. Then the big CW event where clanners won 53% and still managed to lose a massive number of planets.

So. This fix. Now no one can win any planets. It simply takes too long. No one is willing to play against no opponents for hours on end to win a planet when winning a planet means NOTHING. I don't log in to NOT play!!!!!!!!!!!

#33 Lord0fHats

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 619 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:30 PM

View PostZenFool, on 02 May 2015 - 07:25 PM, said:

Umm...As a clanner you realize that PGI is fixing it for you right?

I was not playing when CW first launched but don't worry. Had I been there I'd have been pointing it out. It's what I do B)

Now no one can win any planets.

Several planets have already been taken and lost (and retaken).

No one is willing to play against no opponents for hours on end to win a planet when winning a planet means NOTHING.

Give it a week and be patient. Lots of units and players are burned out after the war for Tukyyiad. CGBI's Euro players were up hours past their normal log off times fighting the good fight in the last few hours of the event :P After a mad rush week of CW, the last thing a lot of us want is moar CW.

Players will come back and maybe the problem will go away. Or maybe it won't and my point still stands; there just aren't enough people wanting to fight for this galaxy for it to actually function.

Edited by Lord0fHats, 02 May 2015 - 07:31 PM.

#34 ZenFool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 414 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:36 PM

View PostLord0fHats, on 02 May 2015 - 07:30 PM, said:

I was not playing when CW first launched but don't worry. Had I been there I'd have been pointing it out. It's what I do B)

Several planets have already been taken and lost (and retaken).

Give it a week and be patient. Lots of units and players are burned out after the war for Tukyyiad. CGBI's Euro players were up hours past their normal log off times fighting the good fight in the last few hours of the event :P After a mad rush week of CW, the last thing a lot of us want is moar CW.

Players will come back and maybe the problem will go away. Or maybe it won't and my point still stands; there just aren't enough people wanting to fight for this galaxy for it to actually function.

I don't think you've looked at the map. Are any of the things you say based in reality? There is obviously a huge problem that anyone that has played CW for any amount of time recognize and you claim WE'RE the ones that don't know what we're talking about?

#35 Lord0fHats

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 619 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:43 PM

View PostZenFool, on 02 May 2015 - 07:36 PM, said:

the ones that don't know what we're talking about?

I said no such thing (actually I'm fairly certain that was a comment direct at me by another).

There is obviously a huge problem

Yes there is. Maybe actually read my posts before responding and you'd be able to respond to what I said actually said instead of responding to me about what someone else said :P

#36 ZenFool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 414 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 08:13 PM

I've read your posts. Two pages of nonsense in this thread alone. Your claims are not based in reality. There is a huge problem in the new system, worse than the old system. We are all trying to point that out. Your are simply trolling or, worse, actually believe what you are saying.

#37 Gladewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 464 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 02 May 2015 - 08:19 PM

Ok....trying to get my unit to do more CW....won 3 matches in a row, but because there is one other team playing...we keep getting defense missions, can't take the planet if we never get to attack. This needs to be fixed. Haven't ghost dropped yet.

#38 Lord0fHats

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 619 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 08:22 PM

View PostZenFool, on 02 May 2015 - 08:13 PM, said:

Your claims are not based in reality.

Reality is there are 77 people actively defending Clan planets at the exact moment I write this sentence. So sorry. A bunch of people sitting in a message board bemoaning how "there are no defenders" is not reality just because they whine such.

For context, 77 is only slightly lower than what I normally see around 11:30 CT (yeah, Clans start getting pretty dead this time of night). I can point to 5 planets that have changed hands, so planets are being taken and defended.

There is a huge problem in the new system, worse than the old system.

I see no logical reason to believe the new system is the problem. It's the same problem CW seems to have had for weeks now; not many people are playing. It is actually possible for the what people are upset about in this thread to simply be a symptom of another problem rather than a problem in itself.

Your are simply trolling or, worse, actually believe what you are saying.

Such well thought out arguments :P

Edited by Lord0fHats, 02 May 2015 - 08:25 PM.

#39 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 02 May 2015 - 08:57 PM

Oh man, 77 clan players total!

Sounds like a great success. For comparison purposes, my actual hardcore chinese cartoon fighting game has 210 people on at this precise moment.

#40 Lord0fHats

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 619 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:02 PM

Down to 68 now, which is still fairly close to normal in my experience (missing about a 12 man's worth of people for this time of day).

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users