Making Omni-Mechs Omni

2 replies to this topic

#1 DoctorZuber

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 01:21 PM

It has been bugging me for a while that the true advantage of the Omni-Mech is irrelevant in MWO. The whole point of their modular design was that they could be repaired or even reconfigured in hours rather than the days or sometimes even weeks it might take to do similar changes in an IS Mech.

What if Omni-Mechs could be reconfigured mid battle in Clan Wars? Not when the mech is in the field fighting of course, but during the 30 second window when waiting to drop, what if we could change our load out? To do so effectively in only 30 seconds we would have to be able to save some pre-configured options for each omni-mech letting us reserve some parts for such quick changes. In fact realistically we would need to own and save entire omni pods, since effectively that is what is getting swapped out.

Think about it. It would give a lot more life to the concept of the Omni-Mech by bringing back at least some of its historical significance.

Now, I realize there would be serious balance issues to be considered in such a change. But try to ignore that for a moment. Instead focus on whether or not Omni-Mechs in the current iteration actually feel Omni. I really don't think they do. I think something like this, would give them a bit more character and make them feel different than their IS cousins.

As for the balance question, yes, it could affect the balance, but only in the context of CW. And that could easily enough be adjusted as necessary by changing the drop tonnage again if it becomes necessary.

#2 DoctorZuber

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:36 PM

Here's one more thought to chew on. There's a thread raging in general right now basically underlining the idea that in the eyes of many, Omni Mechs are anything but Omni. The general consensus seems to be that people would like them a lot more if they did away with omni pods all together and made them just like IS mechs, fully configurable, but with fixed hard points.

Now, Historically in the game system this was always an option. The clan did make and field second line mechs i.e. non-Omni-Mechs. They lost the advantage of quick change pods but were fully configurable. They also always had the option (though it was rarely used) to give up the advantages of an Omni-Mech and customize a chassis to taste losing the ability to quickly swap Omni-Pods in the process.

I would be interested in seeing both things in MWO. Currently allowing Omni-Mechs would be all bonus with no drawbacks. But if my suggestion of allowing Omni-Mechs to do a quick load out change mid battle in CW was in play, then it becomes a choice. Do you want more configuration options, or do you want to be able to change your load out during a battle?

That . . . could be a hard choice to make.

Edited by DoctorZuber, 02 May 2015 - 02:39 PM.

#3 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,685 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:10 AM

Also people think Omnies are not "Omni" because they seem not very customizable compared to the free, almost complete and 100% easy with 0 risk customization of IS BattleMechs.. Which is kind of right, it is what happens when you have one side sticking to most rules and and the other skipping over customization time, cost, risk and resources needed, which are a very big factor in BT...

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users