A Module Or Console That Allows Strikes From Overview Map Too Op?

24 replies to this topic

#1 CocoaJin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:39 AM

It seems there should be some type of Command Console or module feature that allows users to deploy strikes from the overview map in game.

Edited by CocoaJin, 06 May 2015 - 12:25 PM.

#2 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:42 AM

This is what Command Console should have done, and it should have been necessary if you wanted to use strikes at all so that only command mechs were calling them in.

#3 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 12:28 PM

View PostFate 6, on 06 May 2015 - 11:42 AM, said:

This is what Command Console should have done, and it should have been necessary if you wanted to use strikes at all so that only command mechs were calling them in.

I'd actually be ok with that. Basically all wall us to buy strike consumables, allow us to place the request for it and where...but have the Command Console guys actually confirm the strike.

#4 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 06 May 2015 - 12:34 PM

You could balance it by increasing the delay before the strikes land and letting Bitching Betty warn players who are inside the danger zone. E.g. "Warning, incoming artillery fire." or "Warning, enemy airstrikes detected."

Ideally, I'd also like to see mechs with Command Console being able to use A&A strikes multiple times, maybe with a 4 minute delay, for example. And I also like the idea of letting mechs with Command Console using other player's consumables, but then you would need a very clean and simple HUD feature to work it out. For example, a big red box appears on your side with grid coordinates for the strike and you have to press the U key (or whatever) to approve the use of your artillery / airstrike.

#5 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:09 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 06 May 2015 - 12:34 PM, said:

You could balance it by increasing the delay before the strikes land and letting Bitching Betty warn players who are inside the danger zone. E.g. "Warning, incoming artillery fire." or "Warning, enemy airstrikes detected."

Ideally, I'd also like to see mechs with Command Console being able to use A&A strikes multiple times, maybe with a 4 minute delay, for example. And I also like the idea of letting mechs with Command Console using other player's consumables, but then you would need a very clean and simple HUD feature to work it out. For example, a big red box appears on your side with grid coordinates for the strike and you have to press the U key (or whatever) to approve the use of your artillery / airstrike.

I'm not to thrilled with free strikes on a timer though. There just doesn't seem to be a need if you get to use other player's. But I'm ok with the console having a consumable slot that allows for an extra strike over non-CC mechs.

#6 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:13 PM

Yup to OP

I would rather WoT doesn't effect MWO

#7 Shae Starfyre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationThe Fringe

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:17 PM

I would be on board with this if it was a call for an already implanted consumable on the team and that team member has the choice to comply.

What the command console would do is allow for indirect placement based on that command feature in the map.

Not an extra dropped bomb.

#8 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:43 PM

Maybe another approach would be the CC allows the user to place strike requests and other players can use their strike consumable to fulfill it...but only where a CC user places a strike box.

Ideally, the strike holder can also designate a location to drop a strike, but a CC user needs to place the strike box so the strike holder can place his strike within it. The CC strike box could be a grid square, or it can be modeled as a place-able box as big as a 1/4 sized grid square.

The box needs to fulfill two functions: 1) provide some sense of directing fire by have spatial restrictions...2) but being large enough to allow the strike holder to make the final placement adjustment within the defined area.

#9 Timuroslav

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunsho-ni
  • Gunsho-ni
  • 672 posts
  • Location米国のネバダ州のリノで住んでいます。

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:57 PM

I think the biggest issues I can think of, is that the spawn locations are a known variable and people would just guess accurately, where the lances are going. But, this is balance by the fact the cool down timers in the very beginning of the match.
I like this idea quite a bit actually. Satellites still exist in this era.

Would it use other peoples' artillery or just the person with the command console?
Because it would be kind of a waste of a command console just for ONE artillery strike that may or may not hit.

#10 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:16 PM

View PostTimuroslav, on 06 May 2015 - 02:57 PM, said:

I think the biggest issues I can think of, is that the spawn locations are a known variable and people would just guess accurately, where the lances are going. But, this is balance by the fact the cool down timers in the very beginning of the match.
I like this idea quite a bit actually. Satellites still exist in this era.

Would it use other peoples' artillery or just the person with the command console?
Because it would be kind of a waste of a command console just for ONE artillery strike that may or may not hit.

It would use other people's...or it can allow other's to use there's...or both. That's something we can all hash out.

#11 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:27 PM

View PostFate 6, on 06 May 2015 - 11:42 AM, said:

HECK YES.

As it stands, I despise artillery with every fiber of my being. The game should be about who can outwit and outshoot their opponents, not who can click an i-win button first.

Add it to the command console!

#12 The Blood God

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 233 posts
  • Locationchester england

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:45 PM

View PostKiiyor, on 06 May 2015 - 03:27 PM, said:

HECK YES.

As it stands, I despise artillery with every fiber of my being. The game should be about who can outwit and outshoot their opponents, not who can click an i-win button first.

Add it to the command console!

have i missed some thing last i checked strikes drop a big visible plume of smoke to warn people that the area is gona go boom in 4 seconds which is plenty of time to get lights meds and heavies out of the way unless you lack wits and most assaults can shrug off a strike or 2 where is this i win button you speak of............................................................................................found it its my push to talk button

sorry to rip but just seems a silly point to make

Edited by MAX909, 06 May 2015 - 03:46 PM.

#13 Stonefalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,373 posts
  • LocationProselytizing in the name of Our Lord and Savior the Annihilator

Posted 06 May 2015 - 04:01 PM

View PostCocoaJin, on 06 May 2015 - 12:28 PM, said:

I'd actually be ok with that. Basically all wall us to buy strike consumables, allow us to place the request for it and where...but have the Command Console guys actually confirm the strike.

That's just what we needed. The Company Commander should be able to view Arty and Air requests in the map view, click on them then select confirm or deny. Given however that to confirm or deny these requests would take time, the time for the strike to land should be shortened to 2 seconds from 4. This rewards the team and the commander, damage should still go to the person who requested the strike though.

#14 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

View PostMAX909, on 06 May 2015 - 03:45 PM, said:

have i missed some thing last i checked strikes drop a big visible plume of smoke to warn people that the area is gona go boom in 4 seconds which is plenty of time to get lights meds and heavies out of the way unless you lack wits and most assaults can shrug off a strike or 2 where is this i win button you speak of............................................................................................found it its my push to talk button

sorry to rip but just seems a silly point to make

Unless the plume is behind you. Or in front of a building. Or behind a hill. Or beside you. Or on top of a building. Or under a garage roof. Or under a tunnel entrance. Or on a bridge above you.

I hate the things, but all I do now is try to find creative ways to use them.

Dropping them on someone's face without them even seeing the plume is trivial.

#15 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

View PostMAX909, on 06 May 2015 - 03:45 PM, said:

have i missed some thing last i checked strikes drop a big visible plume of smoke to warn people that the area is gona go boom in 4 seconds which is plenty of time to get lights meds and heavies out of the way unless you lack wits and most assaults can shrug off a strike or 2 where is this i win button you speak of............................................................................................found it its my push to talk button sorry to rip but just seems a silly point to make

The delay isn't nearly enough for assaults to get out of the way, and the majority of the time you can't even see the smoke.
I think the delay needs to be increased and Betty needs to announced to all nearby players that a strike is on the way.
0 tonne damage options are kinda lame.

#16 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 04:02 PM

It's certainly isnt an I-win button. What it is, is a great stun grenade for a well coordinate push on a defended position. I use it to do SWAT-style "Bang and Push".

It does kill the occasional mech that's heavily damaged. I think I've gotten two kills from artillery...out of countless strikes.

Edited by CocoaJin, 06 May 2015 - 05:03 PM.

#17 Sergeant Random

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 462 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 06 May 2015 - 04:04 PM

My dual gauss KGC-000 has my single command console. Where are my artillery strikes?

#18 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 04:09 PM

This is what Command Console should have done

yep. the game needs different roles and command should be one of them. the commander should be able to designate target priority by marking targets as well as deploy strategic assets like strikes/artillery.

#19 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 06 May 2015 - 04:11 PM

The need to carry TAG, could be another way to add tonnage for Strikes.

And I don't mean needing to lase an area to drop a strike, just have TAG equipped on the mech at least.

Posted Image

#20 The Blood God

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 233 posts
  • Locationchester england

Posted 06 May 2015 - 04:16 PM

View PostKiiyor, on 06 May 2015 - 04:01 PM, said:

Unless the plume is behind you.= push to talk

Or in front of a building. Or behind a hill............ is it close enough to wreck you really? may be in a light (keep moving)

Or beside you.= push to talk

Or on top of a building.......see buildings and hills

Or under a garage roof......hahaha thats funny if it hits gona have to try that on crimson

Or under a tunnel entrance.=don't stand on top of tunnel entrances

Or on a bridge above you..............do strikes penatrate bridges ??? tend to use them as strike cover my self

I hate the things, but all I do now is try to find creative ways to use them........player progression yes

Dropping them on someone's face without them even seeing the plume is trivial........ why trivial

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users