22 replies to this topic

#1 Syncline

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 205 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:56 PM

You know what would be a cool quirk set for the Urbanmech, since its hardpoints and engine cap limit its viability? Make that thing a freaking light tank. Significantly buff the structure of all torso and arm locations. It's short and squat and designed to fight in the urban jungle, so quirk it that way. Give that sonovagun +15 structure to each torso+arm, or something along those lines.

EDIT:
The community, myself included, understands that there is a lack of functional diversity among light mechs. Making the Urbie a tanky light would create more diversity in the light mech weight class.

EDIT2:
Clearly if we buffed durability, we would need to remove weapon quirks for balance. I'm just sick of PGI balancing mechs by giving them weapon quirks to compensate. We're all sick of the overused, overquirked Thunderbolts and Stalkers and Firestarters because they all get obscene, unnatural firepower. Why can't we get some unconventional mechs with purely defensive quirks instead?

Edited by Syncline, 07 May 2015 - 01:29 PM.

#2 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:57 PM

Why? :huh:

#3 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:58 PM

The biggest buff Urbie needs is viable low-tonnage ballistics.

Secondarily, not being penalized with external base sinks (lol sub-250 engines) would help.

Also, it's 30 tons instead of 35 tons, which is never a plus...

#4 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:00 PM

Fup...
It's an URBANMECH!!!!
It is, was, will evr be a one trick pony. Orit's not an UrbanMech.

#5 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:01 PM

View PostSyncline, on 07 May 2015 - 12:56 PM, said:

You know what would be a cool quirk set for the Urbanmech, since its hardpoints and engine cap limit its viability? Make that thing a freaking light tank. Significantly buff the structure of all torso and arm locations. It's short and squat and designed to fight in the urban jungle, so quirk it that way. Give that sonovagun +15 structure to each torso+arm, or something along those lines.

Urbie is fine the way it is....

They are not that fragile honestly and they spread dmg like water over rocks.

I put up 400- 500 dmg and a kill consistently in my Urbies.

#6 Syncline

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 205 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:01 PM

Why? Because its hardpoints and engine cap prevent it from being an effective gunboat, yet it is forced to fight at ranges that make it die really quickly.

#7 Nathan Foxbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:02 PM

View PostFupDup, on 07 May 2015 - 12:58 PM, said:

Secondarily, not being penalized with external base sinks (lol sub-250 engines) would help.

A full 10 of true dubs would go a long ways on many lights. Might even be able to cut back on light quirks with that route.

#8 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:03 PM

View PostFupDup, on 07 May 2015 - 12:58 PM, said:

I have inquired about heat dissipation quirks for sub 250 engine robots...no comments yet.

They'd still lose on heat cap and crit slots, but at least they don't need to pay 2 tons and up to 6 crit slots to match Firestarters with only 10 DHS.

#9 Syncline

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 205 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:03 PM

Another good reason to make it a light tank is because it's a joke mech. Wouldn't it be cool to see a light mech that can tank damage like a medium?

#10 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:07 PM

View PostSyncline, on 07 May 2015 - 01:01 PM, said:

Why? Because its hardpoints and engine cap prevent it from being an effective gunboat, yet it is forced to fight at ranges that make it die really quickly.

According to who? Just you?

I run...

1x ERPPC, 2x Sm Pulse Lasers and 3 x MGs on one

1x A/C2, 3x MP Lasers

1x LPL, 2x Med lasers and 4x MG's

Each one of those have range and can fight mechs at just about any range they also all go over 100khp. I dont see your point....

Just the other night I literally DESTROYED a BNC in my AC2/MPL build....he even said something in chat about "that is the best Urbie action I have seen, ripped my BCN apart!"

Just because you are having a hard time in them does not mean they are bad....they are not god tier either but they are NOT SUPPOSE TO BE.

Its hardly a joke mech, everyone thought that is what it would be but the Urbie High score thread that was floating around for a while showed the MWO world just how viable that 30 tons of fun can be.

Edited by DarthRevis, 07 May 2015 - 01:09 PM.

#11 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:07 PM

View PostSyncline, on 07 May 2015 - 12:56 PM, said:

Er, it already has +10 to the arms and +7 to the legs...

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ght_innersphere

#12 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:13 PM

>You know what would be a cool quirk set for the Urbanmech, since its hardpoints and engine cap limit its viability?

inner sphere is dizzy of their overquirked hardpoint-inflated mechs with custom engines
100 kmh is slow for them, several large lasers on lights is few for them, they want quirks, quirks, quirks

#13 Syncline

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 205 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:17 PM

I think the problem is that PGI wants to quirk weapons too much to give a mech a niche role. Why the hell not give it a different role than "SHOOT ALL THE GUNS?"

#14 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:20 PM

View PostSyncline, on 07 May 2015 - 01:17 PM, said:

I think the problem is that PGI wants to quirk weapons too much to give a mech a niche role. Why the hell not give it a different role than "SHOOT ALL THE GUNS?"

Because that's all there is to this game?

#15 Kristov Kerensky

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:21 PM

CW, 12 man Clan Wolf team, top 5 from the Event no less. I have a Urby in dropdeck, don't laugh either, because I got 7 kills with my Urby against that Clan Wolf team, 6 Solo Kills, the 7th was Most Damage and Kill Shot. Don't try and tell us the Urby needs to be made any better than it currently is, it's almost too good.

It's a 30 ton WALKING TRASHCAN! It's an iconic BattleTech Mech that was ALWAYS considered a joke, but that's why we wanted it in the first place, after all, it can only beat a 1 Legged Atlas in a race, and that's only if the Atlas lets the Urby have a head start.

#16 Syncline

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 205 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:25 PM

View Poststjobe, on 07 May 2015 - 01:20 PM, said:

Because that's all there is to this game?

So you would rather PGI just continue prioritizing weapon quirks, instead of diversifying mech functionality and letting mechs fulfill different, unconventional roles? We have enough mechs with absurd weapon quirks. We need mechs with strong defensive quirks, and the UM is an obvious choice.

Edited by Syncline, 07 May 2015 - 01:26 PM.

#17 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:29 PM

View PostSyncline, on 07 May 2015 - 01:25 PM, said:

So you would rather PGI just continue prioritizing weapon quirks, instead of diversifying mech functionality and letting mechs fulfill different roles? We have enough mechs with absurd weapon quirks. We need mechs with strong defensive quirks, and the UM is an obvious choice.

I'd rather they reworked large swathes of the game to something at least resembling BattleTech, but I can wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which one fills up first, yaknow?

At the moment, and for the foreseeable future, the game is an arena team deathmatch on really small maps, and in such a game it makes zero sense in not getting "absurd weapon quirks", because it's all about getting the kills.

Being good at taking damage won't earn you either CB or XP, doing silly amounts of damage will.

#18 Kristov Kerensky

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:29 PM

View PostSyncline, on 07 May 2015 - 01:25 PM, said:

So you would rather PGI just continue prioritizing weapon quirks, instead of diversifying mech functionality and letting mechs fulfill different, unconventional roles? We have enough mechs with absurd weapon quirks. We need mechs with strong defensive quirks, and the UM is an obvious choice.

You should read a bit on what the Urby is...
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/UrbanMech

This is not a tank, this is not a brawler, this is a peek, shoot, JUMP away Mech for urban enviroments.

#19 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:32 PM

View PostKristov Kerensky, on 07 May 2015 - 01:21 PM, said:

it can only beat a 1 Legged Atlas in a race, and that's only if the Atlas lets the Urby have a head start.

bs

urbi can go 107 kmh with the max engine and speed tweak
atlas can go 64 kmh with the max engine and speed tweak

urbi can bear heavy weapon for its weight and have 360 rotation

your 'walking trashcan' left in the lore

#20 Soy

• 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:42 PM

Urbie is a ******* boss mech.

If you happen to be a huge dingus that dislikes the mech or think it sucks, well, it's already settled isn't it... no use convincing people about what they should enjoy or perceive as meta.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users