Bring Back The Old Ui

11 replies to this topic

#1 WDBDBloodyTriggerZ

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 05:01 PM

Posted ImageI really don't like how they keep editing the UI now and making it a lot worse with one little good thing. I really dont understand why PGI cant just bring back the old UI with a few updates and upgrades. The old UI was the best and it just needed some tweaks such as full screen and higher resolution, the ability to turn your mech without having to go to the cammo spec, and the ability to see how much the equipment and armor the mech has in each component before purchasing it. Besides that the old UI was flawless.

Edited by WDBDBloodyTriggerZ, 07 May 2015 - 05:03 PM.

#2 Gaussfather

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 310 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 07:53 PM

It was simple, easy on the eyes, and worked with less mouse clicks than we need currently to do anything.

#3 Mordynak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 374 posts
  • LocationThe United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:23 PM

For the love of god no. Are you both high?
Posted Image

Edited by Mordynak, 07 May 2015 - 09:24 PM.

#4 Timuroslav

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunsho-ni
  • Gunsho-ni
  • 672 posts
  • Location米国のネバダ州のリノで住んでいます。

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:25 PM

the Old UI/ Mechlab is what got us into this whole "Change Mechlab fiasco"
The redeeming quality of it was the 4 readied mechs. That was about it.

#5 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 07 May 2015 - 10:00 PM

UI 1.0 was harder to use than what we have now. In many, many ways, the new UI is better. But God almighty, the original UI was a hundred times more beautiful.

It also had the intuitive feature of highlighting components you'd selected by clicking on them.

It also had a drop deck quick-selection of your favourite mechs.

It also had a cool player portrait.

:ph34r:

Edited by Alistair Winter, 07 May 2015 - 10:00 PM.

#6 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 08 May 2015 - 12:32 AM

No, sry having to scroll through 100+ mechs on that bar on the bottom? NO need to play scrollwarrior online.

#7 ZuFFuLuZ

• PipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 64 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 May 2015 - 04:38 AM

Oh god, no. I only had like 20 mechs at the time and the scrolling was already annoying. I can only imagine what it would be like with 150 now.
That UI was terrible and you guys have a serious case of nostalgia.

#8 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 May 2015 - 04:52 AM

View PostWDBDBloodyTriggerZ, on 07 May 2015 - 05:01 PM, said:

Posted ImageI really don't like how they keep editing the UI now and making it a lot worse with one little good thing. I really dont understand why PGI cant just bring back the old UI with a few updates and upgrades. The old UI was the best and it just needed some tweaks such as full screen and higher resolution, the ability to turn your mech without having to go to the cammo spec, and the ability to see how much the equipment and armor the mech has in each component before purchasing it. Besides that the old UI was flawless.

The old UI may have been a bit easy on the eyes (if you have had less than a dozen mechs to worry about), but it had a lot of problems in the code.

Most people look at UI 2.0 and see the outside, but the code for it is much smoother, and allows PGI to adjust things in there much faster, and easier. Along with upgrading the structure in a smoother way.

Basically the old UI was user friendly at first, and a coding nightmare underneath.

While UI 2.0 has some user problems, but a much better organized coding structure.

Hopefully the new UI will be better than both (I missed my chance to test it out).

#9 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 May 2015 - 05:20 AM

I much prefer how the old UI had you looking up at your mech from below - it made the mechs look massive and it really had that "wow factor" to it. And also how it would move the camera around your mech as you worked on the various components. They really need to bring that back! It was so satisfying and made you feel good about owning these hulking metal monsters. With the current straight-on view... it's just so boring and uninspiring.

#10 Gaussfather

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 310 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 06:49 AM

Sure I'm being nostalgic, but frankly the current and new beta version of the mechlab is a "hunt and peck" mess. Actually I've come to terms with the current one - with the main exception being the module locating/removing/equipping system - which wastes more of my time online than anything else.

But some benefits of the old mech lab was the clean and relatively uncluttered interface -- whoever designed it deserves kudos for something easy to work with -- and I seem to recall it being faster to equip and save mechs.

Anyway, this should be about the new version -- and how to improve it. So I'm done discussing the old one for now.

#11 Troutmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:27 PM

The ability to have over weapon system to see where they were was incredibly useful.

It was also really useful to have the mech doll available to quickly flick through different components, over even the ability to just click on the mech arm/torso/leg etc to select that section.

Posted Image

#12 sabujo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:34 PM

I say we import some of the good left out features in 2.0 that were present in 1.5, namely:
  • Weapon hardpoint overlay
  • Click on the 3D mechpart to configure it
  • Favorite list!
Besides that, no thank you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users