Brandon's Builds: Atlas

38 replies to this topic

#21 Tahribator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 03:41 AM

You have some originality, I have to give you that. But, what's the purpose of posting these builds here? Most of your builds are just . . . rather not good. Crazy mixed-weaponry builds which are effective at neither close or long range. Ridiculous armor distribution. If these are mild trolling attempts just say it and I'll understand. But otherwise this is me seeing these threads every time:

Spoiler

Edited by Tahribator, 08 May 2015 - 04:25 AM.

#22 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 08 May 2015 - 03:45 AM

View PostHit the Deck, on 07 May 2015 - 10:39 PM, said:

I have the Loyalty version as a reward but I'm too afraid to take it too a ride :wacko:

set it up for brawling.

Stay with your assault lance

profit.

#23 DjPush

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 05:32 AM

View PostThe Mech Daddy, on 08 May 2015 - 01:03 AM, said:

Saw you in game with one of your atlases, if I recall correct, you did like 50 dmg.

But instead of coming here laugh at your builds every time you post some, maybe I could give a couple of hints;

Armor values. Every build you post has like a million tons of rear armor. You really don't need 20+ points. I'd run with 9-13, which is enough to protect your ass from a single alpha. If you're unlucky, you'll only get hit in the ass once.

Also, on assault mechs such as the atlas, it's safe to strip arm armor below 60, as those are never the first ones to blow before your sides. Not even when you're "torso twisting". Legs can also go to around 65, which you've done already on some builds.

Not a big deal, but head should be at 16 points (if no armor quirks are present). 16 points means 31hp total, which is enough to block twin gauss deaths. 33 provides no advantage, as arty headshots can still happen, as arty is 35 damage.

As for the builds, keep it simple. For example, you could stretch a std340 on your DDC, which currently sports 325 because of the UAC+AC10 combo, which provides little (or almost no) advantage over twin AC5. AC20 would allow a 350, but you'd lack the range there.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...be01e1f3f17c48c

Also, std300 is a big no no. You're not a dire wolf, you'll never reach DW levels of firepower, not even close. So just speed it up.

I can't be uber all the time Brah...

#24 DjPush

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 05:45 AM

View PostTahribator, on 08 May 2015 - 03:41 AM, said:

You have some originality, I have to give you that. But, what's the purpose of posting these builds here? Most of your builds are just . . . rather not good. Crazy mixed-weaponry builds which are effective at neither close or long range. Ridiculous armor distribution. If these are mild trolling attempts just say it and I'll understand. But otherwise this is me seeing these threads every time:

Spoiler

Pride I suppose. I do rather well in the builds. I like to share these builds when I see people say a particular mech sucks. Then I post the screen shots, some video of the builds doing work and then change the world! I want people to see you dont HAVE to play the quirks, meta or follow the sheep to win at this game. I get a kick out people saying the builds suck. Then I know I have found something unique to myself, when I get 1000 damage in one then the pants come off!!
Seeing how the majority of the players that read these posts just come on here to trash the builds. Makes me really happy! I know I won't see anyone else using it. When I do well in these builds.. I know I have a unique skill set in the game. So please, continue to nay say and frown!

Why the back armor? I got sick of Huggins and other lights. taking my back side out.

#25 DjPush

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 05:58 AM

View PostPaigan, on 08 May 2015 - 02:17 AM, said:

Wait.
So what's the point of your builds threads then?

You obviously don't post builds that you consider viable to suggest to others, but you post stuff you tinkered together because it was laying around in your mechbay?
So this is not a socially intended helping thread, but just a "look what I have" bragging thread?

Also, as another one said, no smurfy links.
You didn't even take the 2 minutes it costs per build to provide others with a proper valuable loadout link, but post cumbersome images instead?
Probably again to brag about you having them really standing in your mechbay and having a (subjectively) cool camo on them.

I can't stress enough how I despise of people who post something superficially helpful but are actually just bragging with little to no intention of actually helping.
Go to hell :angry:.

PS:
WHY do you have EIGHT XL 400 in the first place?

Edit:
Also, because I find to just too amusing:

The fact that you think these builds are not viable is a YOU issue. I post these threads in the hopes that someone DOES try them. I hope that people start to play this game as it was intended in the beginning. LAYRED, THINKING, COMBAT.

People buy mechs for quirks and high alpha pinpoint. THey get into their laser vomit or dual gauss builds and just click a button. LRM's SRM's UAC,s all spammed.

I like to post my builds as kind of challange. I dare you to try one and succeed using one. Post some video of it. They take a different approach to the game and make you think a little differently (In my opinion). I doubt anyone is willing to step out of their comfort zone though.

#26 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 08 May 2015 - 05:58 AM

View PostDjPush, on 08 May 2015 - 05:32 AM, said:

I can't be uber all the time Brah...

And with this statement you prove yourself wrong. ;)

#27 Lostdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 08 May 2015 - 06:23 AM

View Postmeteorol, on 08 May 2015 - 02:53 AM, said:

If you don't torsotwist, any DW will toast you in seconds. They have 80-90 pts alphas they can do twice, and they often run coolshot. You either waste the UACS dps or you will get killed with two alphas, especially since you only run 98 front CT armor.

Shhhh... I don't want my dakkawolf to run out of Atlai to eat.

#28 InRev

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 08 May 2015 - 07:00 AM

View PostDjPush, on 08 May 2015 - 05:58 AM, said:

The fact that you think these builds are not viable is a YOU issue.

Posted Image

#29 MechWarrior414712

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 07:04 AM

Umm they play around quirks and high alphas just because they're proven better. I do wish too we could use mixed loadouts.

#30 DjPush

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 07:22 AM

View PostThe Mech Daddy, on 08 May 2015 - 07:04 AM, said:

Umm they play around quirks and high alphas just because they're proven better. I do wish too we could use mixed loadouts.

Then use them. There is nothing wrong with that. Play with the game! It's ok to lose lose sometimes. I'm just trying to share things with the community that I have found to be fun. After 2 years of playing this game I just got fed up with having kills and top damage be the goal. Now, I make builds like these and try to win with them. These "crazy" builds are the ones I have the most success with. Hours of drops, failures and successes. Everyone looks at these builds and just says: "those are garbage, they will never work." But they do! They have also breathed hours and hours of new life into the game for me.

I could not give any less shietz about the "meta," quirks and what everybody else thinks is optimized. I spend my time in the game finding new ways of winning. Playing with friends, drinking beer and cracking fart and johnson jokes. I don't see any other point to playing a game.... Just have fun with it.

Edited by DjPush, 08 May 2015 - 07:26 AM.

#31 The Dreaded Baron B Killer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 07:25 AM

View PostDjPush, on 08 May 2015 - 05:45 AM, said:

When I do well in these builds.. I know I have a unique skill set in the game.

Mhmmm.... Comments like that make it hard for me to take you seriously...

This game is very situation and luck based, mixed with general skill...

I've had games where i got 4-5 kills and 1000+ damage in my Atlas & others where I got 90dmg... Its not because I suck.. Or because I'm awesome.. it's situation.. some games I'm in the right place facing off against the right opponents.. and some games I turn a corner and have a lance facing me alpha'ing me to smithereens...

However, when I tear up a bunch of enemy mechs.. it's not because I am "unique" or skilled.... It's down to many factors like:
- my team mates have torn them up already and have them on the run pretty well supporting fire
- a lesser opponent skill wise not aiming properly and in a non-assault class mech
- a weaker / poor build
- non twisting enemy

lots of times I've faced off against other players and gotten my ass handed to me... and I'm sure you have too. Saying you are unique on a game like this where there is such a limited selection of weapons and "workable" loadouts (especially on a limited hardpoint mech like the atlas) is just flat out ridiculous...

#32 MechWarrior414712

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 07:28 AM

I do enjoy quilty pleasure mechs sometimes. One of my favourite oddball builds is the 6xac2 King Crab. Overheats in 5 seconds, moves like a daishi (and has less firepower). But most people prob here feel that the builds you post are meant to be good, instead of gimmick mixed loadouts (no offense here, as you later stated they're not meant to be meta).

Edited by The Mech Daddy, 08 May 2015 - 07:28 AM.

#33 Christof Romulus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 898 posts
  • LocationAS7-D(F), GRF-1N(P)

Posted 08 May 2015 - 07:30 AM

Interesting.

Good on you, DjPush, for playing the venerable Atlas.

I, too, pilot the Atlas as one of my most competitive mechs - but I won't be posting their builds here... too valuable =P

#34 DjPush

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 07:39 AM

No no no... These builds are not meant to be "meta" in any way. I'm sharing ideas that I have found to be effective while providing a break from the every day builds that people are using. They are meant to provide a different approach to the game, a different way of playing. That's it.

#35 DjPush

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 07:42 AM

View PostThe Dreaded Baron B Killer, on 08 May 2015 - 07:25 AM, said:

Mhmmm.... Comments like that make it hard for me to take you seriously...

This game is very situation and luck based, mixed with general skill...

I've had games where i got 4-5 kills and 1000+ damage in my Atlas & others where I got 90dmg... Its not because I suck.. Or because I'm awesome.. it's situation.. some games I'm in the right place facing off against the right opponents.. and some games I turn a corner and have a lance facing me alpha'ing me to smithereens...

However, when I tear up a bunch of enemy mechs.. it's not because I am "unique" or skilled.... It's down to many factors like:
- my team mates have torn them up already and have them on the run pretty well supporting fire
- a lesser opponent skill wise not aiming properly and in a non-assault class mech
- a weaker / poor build
- non twisting enemy

lots of times I've faced off against other players and gotten my ass handed to me... and I'm sure you have too. Saying you are unique on a game like this where there is such a limited selection of weapons and "workable" loadouts (especially on a limited hardpoint mech like the atlas) is just flat out ridiculous...

Meh.. Maybe "skill set" was the wrong term to use.

#36 Nocifer Deathblade

• PipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:41 AM

View PostDjPush, on 07 May 2015 - 10:14 PM, said:

The best of the bunch is the BH. You can go through 3 or 4 alphas before shutting down on a cold map. On a moderate temp map, 2 or 3. On Tera Therma you need to chain the pulse lasers. It takes some practice but those pulse lasers and the BH quirks make it a mean mofo. Not to mention enough speed to escape if need be. You just have learn to protect your side torsos. 71KPH in a 100 ton mech is rediculous!

Oh yeah! BH is my most favorite type of Atlas class of all! 71 KPH is so beautiful along with 6 med pulse lasers, 10 ac and srm 6 to boot that it's just crazy. BH is only Atlas class that I can flank and assault the rear of their forces pretty well. 400 XL engine scares me at first when I bought it only to discover that it's actually awesome engine and I don't get death from engine too often cuz I survived most battles in BH thanks to awesome speed+dps that BH got as well as max armor that I put on it.. Best modules is med pulse laser range and cooldown to amplify the 6 med pulse laser power that BH got by large margin..

BH torso twist is best of all Atlas thanks to 400 xl engine that I don't fear lights in a brawl fights. It can be bit tough to aim at them fast to shoot right but they have hard time to hit my back thanks to BH..

Edited by Nocifer Deathblade, 08 May 2015 - 09:46 AM.

#37 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:50 AM

The uac5 + ac10 makes zero sense.

#38 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 08 May 2015 - 11:37 AM

View PostDjPush, on 07 May 2015 - 10:14 PM, said:

The best of the bunch is the BH. You can go through 3 or 4 alphas before shutting down on a cold map. On a moderate temp map, 2 or 3. On Tera Therma you need to chain the pulse lasers. It takes some practice but those pulse lasers and the BH quirks make it a mean mofo. Not to mention enough speed to escape if need be. You just have learn to protect your side torsos. 71KPH in a 100 ton mech is rediculous!

There's really no protecting the sidetorsos in a Boar's Head, it's an Atlas, and it's very easily identifiable as an XL engine build due to the speed. Most competent players will either aim for the cannon to take that out, or XL check you... by aiming for the cannon because that's where everyone else will be shooting.
Personally I just go straight for the CT if I'm positive it's not an XL build, but this is a really obvious one.
I run mine with a standard 350, 2 large lasers, 4 medium lasers, an AC/20 and an ASRM6.

Edited by Satan n stuff, 08 May 2015 - 11:38 AM.

#39 DjPush

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 12:34 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 08 May 2015 - 10:50 AM, said:

The uac5 + ac10 makes zero sense.

Have you ever tried it?

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users