How The Warehouse Should Be (Screenshot Mockup)

67 replies to this topic

#21 Adverse Reaction

• Pip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:21 AM

I like the information of D, but the look of C

#22 Big Tin Man

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:24 AM

Option C is the best. I think Option D for ballistic and missles would be a lot of empty space with the slot requirements.

Great work!

#23 Alexander Garden

Producer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:42 AM

I've added this post to the Known Issues and Suggestions list, under functional and visual.
  • Suggested re-design of the Warehouse Posted Image
I really like this....

#24 Khanahar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 560 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:06 AM

Logged in to like and comment. Really nice work. C for sure.

On a side note, can we request the scroll bar be wider if they're not going to fix mousewheel scroll speed?

#25 QuantumPolagnus

Rookie

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:10 AM

Definitely option C. Thank you for your work.

#26 RedEagle86

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:18 AM

C is awesome. Only things I would change: To make it easier on PGI so we can have this sooner rather than later - remove the mini-icons.

Have the quirks be visible if you hover over each affected weapons maybe, not just that you've got positive or negative, but showing what they are (either by text or symbol as in "D").

All in all, fantastic work.

#27 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:23 AM

Option D would look the same as C, except there's visual size differences with D?
Then D is the obvious one to go by..

It would be great to be able to identify a weapon by it's visual size.
That all improves readability and actually makes the most sense.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 08 May 2015 - 10:30 AM.

#28 AdamBaines

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:33 AM

View Postsabujo, on 08 May 2015 - 06:39 AM, said:

Awesome Design Stuff

I like C and D. I like how D shows visually the number of hard points needed to fit the weapon into a space.

#29 Xolin

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 42 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 08 May 2015 - 11:25 AM

I love the "C" layout...

#30 sabujo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 11:26 AM

Thanks for all the great feedback, guys!

View Postvetal l, on 08 May 2015 - 08:17 AM, said:

Guys, notice one thing - both C or D variants have one important thing - SORTING!

Can you describe - which criteria used for this sorting? This is intuitive sorting - but, imagine if it would be sorting by name? will it still be useful?

Other side of medal - we can (potentially) sort by any column (notice small triangle on the first unnamed column).

In ecommerce platforms you usually have the option to default a product category listing to something custom, so that you have control over what is displayed first or based on special rules. Using the name (alphabetically), tonnage, slots, price, etc... is a blind sorting method that is very specific. By default things should be sorted under a more intelligent manner and if you want to be specific, no problem - use the sorting options.

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 08 May 2015 - 10:23 AM, said:

Option D would look the same as C, except there's visual size differences with D?
Then D is the obvious one to go by..

It would be great to be able to identify a weapon by it's visual size.
That all improves readability and actually makes the most sense.

D also has the quirks discriminated by type (icon).

View PostBig Tin Man, on 08 May 2015 - 09:24 AM, said:

Option C is the best. I think Option D for ballistic and missles would be a lot of empty space with the slot requirements.

Great work!

I agree, even though I think there should be a way to reach a compromise between space wasting and a ubiquitous slot information.

View PostRedEagle86, on 08 May 2015 - 10:18 AM, said:

C is awesome. Only things I would change: To make it easier on PGI so we can have this sooner rather than later - remove the mini-icons.

Have the quirks be visible if you hover over each affected weapons maybe, not just that you've got positive or negative, but showing what they are (either by text or symbol as in "D").

All in all, fantastic work.

The mini-icons I presented were done in 20 minutes. They do require more thought, but I believe a symbolic and minimalist approach is always preferable (from a design viewpoint) and new user friendly rather than the technical blueprints of the guns themselves. My approach was based on function and behavior of the weapon.

Even though I believe they help, I do agree that they could be removed with small prejudice as they are not essential.

#31 jay35

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 11:26 AM

Option C, but maybe have the colors adjusted so that the Missiles color is made more green and the interface buttons are gold (or blue) instead of green. That sort of consistency goes a long way.

Also, the overall text sizes in the mechlab are too small when using a normal/common desktop resolution like 1920x1080 or larger, but I'm sure others have mentioned that already.

That and the lack of the more visual mech selection screen are the most apparent issues with this test lab UI. I don't care for the dropdeck mech selection UI being used for my entire collection. Not only is it not pretty, it's also more painful to navigate. :)

Edited by jay35, 08 May 2015 - 11:37 AM.

#32 BattleHymn

• Pip
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 11:33 AM

Would love a cross between C and D options (slot width is a nice touch). Perhaps the quirk icon (which is a super cool idea, imo) could just "expand" to more detail on mouse-over or something.

Great work on the mock-up! o7

#33 SpiralFace

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 08 May 2015 - 11:36 AM

The only thing I like from D is the quirk icons easily indicating which weapons receive quirk benefits.

Beyond that I still maintain that C is a much cleaner layout with the color coding plus the roll downs.

#34 sabujo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 11:38 AM

View PostAlexander Garden, on 08 May 2015 - 09:42 AM, said:

I've added this post to the Known Issues and Suggestions list, under functional and visual.
  • Suggested re-design of the Warehouse Posted Image
I really like this....

Thank you, Alex! I really hope all this opinion collection really makes through and does not end like in the first PTS where dozens of people, me included, carefully and repeatedly pointed out the major problems with the UI (some still exist) with solutions, and nothing was made. I've seen the forums and there are so many good suggestions that it would be a waste if we simply ignore all this input like before.

#35 DrXitomatl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 138 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 08 May 2015 - 11:57 AM

Option C FTW.

#36 shellashock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 439 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 11:57 AM

I definitely prefer C.

#37 vortmax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationNorman, OK

Posted 08 May 2015 - 12:00 PM

C is for ... well, you know.

Excellent work.

#38 Treysef

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 12:14 PM

C is perfect. Nothing too busy, no over-abundance of buttons, no overwhelming details. Those can be saved for hover-over pop outs. That info could even be put in the empty panel space at the bottom.

#39 pyrocomp

• Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 01:20 PM

That is a really good suggestion. Option B for me is visually not much better than A, still difficult to find anything and it feels like counterintuitive. Option C is great, I hope it'll go into the game. Option D is... well, intuitive crits are good, but how to make it less sloppy in visuals... Maybe instant switch in item size when trying to drag'n'drop to account for that will suffice.

#40 Buehgler

• PipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 01:48 PM

Great suggestion. I very much like C. The filter mechanic in the current test build is far too cumbersome to be functional and I think your proposal provides similar or better functionality that will be very usable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users