How The Warehouse Should Be (Screenshot Mockup)

67 replies to this topic

#61 sabujo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:10 AM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 10 May 2015 - 08:46 PM, said:

It looks terrible, is clunky, and fails several UI design heuristics.
The mechlab UI is the part of you game you'll spend almost 50% of your time with, so it is definitely worth investing more time and effort into to make it as fast and simple to use as possible, while also putting effort in to make it look good.

As someone who has studied UI design and spends a lot of time with software, a bad UI can be the difference between someone using your software or just giving up and using something else. It doesn't matter how powerful or how many features it has, if it's ugly and hard to use people will go elsewhere. Why do you think Apple is doing so well in the mainstream while the superior Linux barely gets use?

I quit my previous job due in part to an "upgrade" to our software that made it nigh unusable, and I also quit MWO for several months after UI2.0 released.
How bad do you think it will be for the casual Steam player who tries out the game? If first impressions aren't good the UI will likely drive away thousands of new players.

So much true on that. And that's what I am worried about: new players that are non-BT fans. If we want the game to grow, we need to appeal those. They couldn't care less for a Marauder.

And just to give a complement to your words:
  • There isn't such thing as good usability for good usability should be completely transparent, but bad usability can rip an interaction experience apart
  • Bad usability is highly subjective, but we can try to average things out and resolve most of the potential interaction problems, either through heuristics, either through test sessions
That's why, like Troutmonkey said, this is a very important matter and cannot be ignored.

#62 Darkblood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 370 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:43 PM

D is amazing

#63 Arctur

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 118 posts
  • LocationMinsk, Belarus

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:58 PM

Nice ideas, nice pics!
I also want, as all of us, to see in item list filter "all owned", include installed in mechs. Or, at last, at "AMT" column - all my items, not only at warehouse...

#64 Jack Shayu Walker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:14 AM

C all the way! If they bring back the mech select grid from the current version of mechlab and implement the C version shown here, the new mechlab will be beautiful!

#65 RustyBolts

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 12:42 PM

C! C! C!

#66 Scanz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 783 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:20 PM

BEST UI EVER !
C with quirks from D

Edited by Scanz, 13 May 2015 - 11:22 PM.

#67 Sarlic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:29 AM

Did you email your thoughts to PGI and or did they take note?

#68 sabujo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 01:04 PM

View PostSarlic, on 19 May 2015 - 08:29 AM, said:

Did you email your thoughts to PGI and or did they take note?

It's on the feedback recollection list already, but I don't know what will be done with that list.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users