#421 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:22 PM

View PostTriordinant, on 12 May 2015 - 12:10 PM, said:

There are people with such low self esteem that their only sense of accomplishment comes from seeing their name on a leaderboard.

I actually used to know a few people who cheat to find out how soon they can be caught, if at all, and I am talking not just about games.

#422 Coordinator Toxic Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 129 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:25 PM

View PostHarathan, on 12 May 2015 - 10:51 AM, said:

Ooh, that's an interesting angle. They get away with trolling by calling it RP, so maybe they can try claiming the cheating is RP too, and we're just butthurt and not getting it? Maybe "Die, clanners" is a euphemism for "Wait while I turn my hack on". Thanks, Space Pope!

If cheating was RP, maybe NKVA would be a non-inner sphere clan. Die, davion clanners.

#423 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:30 PM

View PostElizander, on 12 May 2015 - 11:26 AM, said:

Part of the issue is that the server is sending all information to everyone it seems, even if it's not necessary. The server can determine if a mech is visible/targetted and etc and then process to which players the mech information is sent too. The server can even determine things like cover and withhold information on units that are on the other side but reworking it to be like that is probably going to take some time.

Can't sniff what isn't sent to you.

Again, this is probably done for performance reasons. It's usually best not to second guess a professional developer on this stuff, only to analyze/critique what they have come up with.

Like the idea of piping the TacMap data out of the game to a second monitor so you can play the game on one monitor and have a full tacmap on the other, which would markedly increase battlefield awareness for a team drop. But I'm pretty sure that you could also unmask all the enemy positions so you can see them on that TacMap regardless of having line of sight to them. That would definately be a bannable thing, and I can think of two or three ways to detect that.

#424 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:31 PM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 12 May 2015 - 12:20 PM, said:

There is a graphics glitch that does this on the PC client side. The glitch has been patched for a while now, but an exploit can cause it on purpose. (For whatever reason, the local PC code renders the terrain and determines if line of sight / line of effect is blocked. I suspect this is for performance reasons.)

Are you saying that LOS is not calculated on the server as well? That seems rather incredulous to me. :unsure:

#425 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:31 PM

View PostMystere, on 12 May 2015 - 12:22 PM, said:

I actually used to know a few people who cheat to find out how soon they can be caught, if at all, and I am talking not just about games.

I can totally empathize if you were on the receiving end of that...

#426 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:33 PM

Egomane ?

https://eu.survarium...=1219&start=220

Not every company is like PGI

Edited by Rad Hanzo, 12 May 2015 - 12:36 PM.

#427 Iothil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 383 posts
  • LocationMan-at-Arms' couch...

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:33 PM

Posted Image

Very reassuring that PGI does pursue this topic, sad it has to be done.

Edited by Iothil, 12 May 2015 - 12:35 PM.

#428 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:35 PM

View PostTriordinant, on 12 May 2015 - 12:31 PM, said:

I can totally empathize if you were on the receiving end of that...

Fortunately, I was never on the receiving end. I was just a witness who soon afterwards wanted to have nothing to do with each and every one of them.

Edited by Mystere, 12 May 2015 - 12:36 PM.

#429 Repasy Cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:37 PM

View PostThatGuy539, on 12 May 2015 - 12:14 PM, said:

If this is true, Beef has lost a lot of credibility in my books. :( If he knows that it's happening, he shouldn't be covering for it. And if he's doing that....well, I hope he's not cheating too. His vids are fun, and he looks like he's dropped a lot of money on the game.

Although I imagine after this that anyone who was cheating won't be now...at least for a while. It will be interesting to see if the matches get any easier in the next few days.

I'm glad you brought that up buddy. I'm sure PGI thought as well about "If we notify the community of a high-profile ban, other cheaters will be scared into hiding and start to play the game legitimately to cover for themselves."

Unless PGI already has a laundry list of cheaters.

Who's to say they don't? In, say, the drug war, it's a very common tactic in police enforcement to let 'small fish' go unawares that they're being watched, so they can lead the police to 'bigger fish' to fry.

The use of this tactic of course would imply there's no way of knowing who those big fish are / what they're doing to hack this game, unless the small fish lead PGI to these offenders. But you guys have to understand that there's a war being fought by programmers against hackers every day! Hackers will ALWAYS find a way around security, but these security hacks are eventually identified AND resolved in a timely manner. You're never NOT going to hear about some game or website being hacked.

I have 100% faith in PGI. I'm sure they've already put the finishing touches on a countermeasure to the hacks in question.

#430 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:37 PM

View PostMystere, on 12 May 2015 - 12:31 PM, said:

Are you saying that LOS is not calculated on the server as well? That seems rather incredulous to me. :unsure:

At least in part, yes. I'm certain it's a complicated answer. All terrain and rendering is a function of your local graphics card and probably has final say on conflicts to prevent lag shielding or something. Doing those calculations on server side would slow your connection speeds considerably.

#431 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:58 PM

I've never understood the reason behind why some people have to win at any cost

#432 Henchman 24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 529 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:00 PM

View PostCoordinator Aigis Kurita, on 11 May 2015 - 09:55 PM, said:

I'd really like more information about what forms of hacking they're addressing and how they're doing it, so I'm going to go look this up now.

This is the biggest eyeroller. Even when I was a kid playing Brood War UMS games with a maphack (which is analogous to walling) I knew this. Aimbotting, much less something much more subtle like walling, doesn't require any data to be transmitted to and from the server that would be subject to verification, much less directly altering game files. Blizzard, a much larger company with a much larger budget, can barely, if at all, catch people maphacking in Starcraft 2.

Regardless of the specifics of how the final jam chance is calculated, it either demonstrates a lack of understanding about something very basic in their own code or demonstrates that whoever was working on quirk values can't do basic math. The end results of the UAC jam chance quirks they initially put in the game was very different from the effect they clearly intended. Compare the UAC jam chance quirks before: http://mwomercs.com/...h-notes?id=1132

and after: http://mwomercs.com/...h-notes?id=1159 . Somehow this made it through? This is a very unnecessary discussion and I only brought it up to illustrate that a basic mistake like this, something caused and fixed by changing a few numbers, no new code necessary, made it through. Even if they never made a mistake like this, I don't think that would actually increase the odds of PGI making an effective anticheat.

Perhaps a better analogy would be that you have a disembodied consciousness that can fly around while on the tour that no one else can see, allowing you to see more than the tour operators intended. And also the guards have glaucoma. This is very imperfect, as it does not include any mention as to how your fellow tourists' experience was harmed by your actions, as cheating would certainly do, but it is an analogy.

You realize many cheats in the past have altered the runtime IN MEMORY so as to spoof A/C tools right? Since like Quake 2 FFS. Eyeroller? lol

View PostMagic Murder Bag, on 11 May 2015 - 07:35 PM, said:

/Inbound steam out of bad rememberance/

I'm sure you remember the ol' flame war generator Vassaigo Rain and his "representation of the people threads", right? I have this feeling he's still lurking about passing out tinfoil (hell he harasses the Hawken players forum wise still and even plans to incite flame threads when MWO comes to steam).

/end steam out

Personally, I'll just watch and see, like I've always done before since I joined in back in 2012.

Man it seems he just can't quit being annoying for the sake of attention. You can list Star Citizen as another of his haunts. He's shot himself in the foot so many times he needs a wheelchair to get to his cockpit.

#433 Harvey Batchall Kerensky at Law

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 322 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:04 PM

View PostRepasy, on 12 May 2015 - 12:37 PM, said:

I have 100% faith in PGI. I'm sure they've already put the finishing touches on a countermeasure to the hacks in question.

Seriously though, after the history this company has with weird design decisions, lack of fleshing out features, economic model that suggests that funds aren't exactly in surplus, and past community engagement, why would you have 100% faith in PGI about anything? Isn't blind faith bad?

#434 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:10 PM

Id rather suck on my own term, and i do, than make my time meaningless with cheats.

I saw something about why people cheat on Discovery News last week too.

Edited by DAYLEET, 12 May 2015 - 01:10 PM.

#435 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:14 PM

View PostMadWOPR, on 12 May 2015 - 01:04 PM, said:

Seriously though, after the history this company has with weird design decisions, lack of fleshing out features, economic model that suggests that funds aren't exactly in surplus, and past community engagement, why would you have 100% faith in PGI about anything? Isn't blind faith bad?

I have faith in them too. Why? Because I used to play games from EA and from SDEnternet. When they screw up, they WRECK games. PGI is saintly by comparison. :rolleyes:

Plus, I love battletech. :wub:

#436 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:14 PM

View Postxeromynd, on 12 May 2015 - 12:15 PM, said:

Well, it should be noted that for those of us who run ballistic boats (4x UAC Jag, 6x AC2 Jag, 6x AC2 DWF, etc...), using the macro for RAPIDFIREAWESOMESAUCE mode is simply a workaround for the fact that attempting to rapidfire a single, chain fire-enabled, group of those same 6x AC2s DOESN'T WORK like it does with lasers.

With, say 6 lasers in the same weapon group, and chainfire enabled, they fire as fast as you can click (great fun), but for ballistic weapons (at least at the time I last played, pre May 5th patch) this method doesn't work.

So, calling out people for wanting to do something that the current build of the game cannot do, isn't really fair.

and something you can do with a razer naga

#437 Repasy Cooper

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:16 PM

View PostMadWOPR, on 12 May 2015 - 01:04 PM, said:

A lot of the history you speak of has more to do with IGP's earlier involvement in the game. I can honestly say that since IGP's departure (and BANKRUPTCY) the success of this game has been exponentially greater.

Lack of fleshing out features? Low funds? You DO realize this is a free-to-play game, and a NICHE game on top of that. They're doing GREAT considering..

Edited by Repasy, 12 May 2015 - 01:16 PM.

#438 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

View PostMystere, on 12 May 2015 - 12:31 PM, said:

it IS pgi..

#439 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Great minds discuss ideas seeking resolution and peace.
Mediocre minds discuss events seeking a cause.
Lesser minds discuss people seeking to blame.

We know which category the PGI haters fall into.

#440 Felbombling

• 2,978 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:21 PM

I'd like to see a kill counter somewhere that tells us how many cheatin' scumbags you've bagged thus far, PGI.

49 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 49 guests, 0 anonymous users