What will you name your Clan at launch?

32 replies to this topic

#1 Seth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 785 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:48 AM

By now everyone knows when the game is released the Clan will not be a playable faction nor will they even be publicy known of in 3049. So when you form your merc groups, what will you named yourselves? The reason I ask is I would cringe to see a merc group called Clan Wolf or Clan Smoke Jaguar. That would just be stupid and I have a feeling the devs wouldn't allow it anyways. My Clan (Clan Jade Falcon) will call ourselves the Red Corsairs for a suspected CJF supported bandit group that tried to undermine the Truce of Tukayyid. (In turn, they took the name from the pirate band of the 3020s) We're planning on having a similar RP role as the Dragoons before they went native. So what will you name yourselves?

#2 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:30 AM

Hmmm, good idea.

I could potentially go for Steel Wolves or Wolf Hunters as a tribute to the DA era factions.
I could alternately simply join with Wolf's Dragoons.

Edited by Stormwolf, 29 November 2011 - 05:30 AM.

#3 Black Sunder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:46 AM

Clan Carebear. We're the cutest and most destructive clan to travel space. Don't get infront of our Carebear Stare....

#4 Stormwolf

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:47 AM

View PostBlack Sunder, on 29 November 2011 - 05:46 AM, said:

Clan Carebear. We're the cutest and most destructive clan to travel space. Don't get infront of our Carebear Stare....

LOL :)

#5 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:59 AM

View PostSeth, on 29 November 2011 - 04:48 AM, said:

By now everyone knows when the game is released the Clan will not be a playable faction nor will they even be publicy known of in 3049. So when you form your merc groups, what will you named yourselves? The reason I ask is I would cringe to see a merc group called Clan Wolf or Clan Smoke Jaguar. That would just be stupid and I have a feeling the devs wouldn't allow it anyways. My Clan (Clan Jade Falcon) will call ourselves the Red Corsairs for a suspected CJF supported bandit group that tried to undermine the Truce of Tukayyid. (In turn, they took the name from the pirate band of the 3020s) We're planning on having a similar RP role as the Dragoons before they went native. So what will you name yourselves?

I remember the Red Corsair incident. Well done. I was thinking of using sub-units nicknames instead of the formal names. So instead of announcing ourselves as the actual unit name (on the left) we go by the nicknames (on the right in brackets). e.g.

Posted Image

I would think any of these would work, except for the Keshiks. :)

Edited by Jaroth Winson, 29 November 2011 - 07:01 AM.

#6 Amarus Cameron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 703 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationDropping with the 2nd Jaguar Guard

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:42 AM

We will name ourselves something along the lines of the Dragoons and the Red Corsair, do not worry you will see no Clan Smoke Jaguar as a mercenary unit. I cringe at the thought as well. Currently the Clan is in deliberation as to what our name should be.

#7 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:07 AM

May I make some suggestions?

#8 Kyll Long

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:11 AM

Not that you need my approval or anything but I actually think this idea for naming is a great one.

View PostJaroth Winson, on 29 November 2011 - 06:59 AM, said:

I remember the Red Corsair incident. Well done. I was thinking of using sub-units nicknames instead of the formal names. So instead of announcing ourselves as the actual unit name (on the left) we go by the nicknames (on the right in brackets). e.g.

Posted Image

I would think any of these would work, except for the Keshiks. :)

#9 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:58 AM

Thank you sir. It kills two birds with one PPC. (no that is not a jade falcon, ice hellion or snow raven joke)

1. Speaking from a character perspective, registering a merc unit as The Stalkers or The Ghost Hunters would be seen as normal & would not raise any eyebrows. I think even The Big Bad Wolves could pass here without suspicion as the people at the MBRC would think of it as a homage to the children's tales. Going to register your merc unit as Theta Galaxy Command Binary will have the Successor States various intelligence agencies on your *** faster than ants at a picnic.

2. If there are a few units who claim the same Clan, they can all play together without arguing over whoever is the "real" xyz Clan. Yes we know units can probably have a Trial of Possession for the right to use the name, but Earth is a big place with LOTS of BT/MW fans. Suppose there were 10 units who all wanted to be Clan Steel Viper. Would you really want to be constantly trialling for that?

Everyone is under the same umbrella just with different names for each group. This not only allows harmony ("Who are we? Oh we are The Anacondas, who are you? What did you say? The Black Mambas? Oh hey! Welcome trothkin! Hey guys guess what? These guys are Steel Viper too!") but it also allows each group to keep their individual command structure intact. (wait we are all coming together? Who is gonna be in charge? Who the #*#@ is that guy? what the hell is going on here? What happened to Barry? Barry is MY khan! what do you mean keep quiet? I sound as if I do not want us to be united? aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh)

Edited by Jaroth Winson, 29 November 2011 - 09:05 AM.

#10 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:49 AM

Night Howlers Merc Corp Using
Posted Image
As our banner

Tribute to the Ghost Bear's Beta Galaxy, from which the unit had its members from. Our Khan Tseng called and those who felt compelled to honor the call went. They were breifed on the Wolf's Dragoons information as given by the Wolves. Not fully trusting most of the information they were primarily sent to 'proof read' the Dragoon's information, and to gather their own. As the founder Sandra Tseng was originally from the Cappellan Confederation Khan Tseng decided that would be a wise area to start and in 3046 the Battalion was first spotted in along the CC and FWL border. They are report back to the Khan in 3051 after a 5 year venture.

#11 Cyber Carns

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 203 posts
  • LocationArc Royal

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:51 AM

You could also do the same with Wolfs in Exile as well, might be little overlap with Clan Wolf tho:

Clan Command Trinary The Golden Keshik
4th Wolf Guards Cluster Wolf Bane
1st Wolf Legion Cluster Stalking Death
1st Wolf Strike Grenadiers Snapping Jaws
6th Wolf Guards Cluster The Dragoons
13th Wolf Guards Cluster The Wolf Spiders
2nd Wolf Legion The Blood Kits
16th Wolf Guards Battle The Golden Marauders
2nd Wolf Strike Grenadiers The Maulers
Command Trinary The Bronze Keshik
1st Wolf Guardians Cluster Night Runners
2nd Wolf Guardians Cluster Sradac’s Rogues
3rd Wolf Guardians Assault The Cerberus Cluster

#12 Brakkyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:57 AM

I think the term "clan" should be superseded by the term "unit", for the sake of confusion.

#13 Seth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 785 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:42 AM

View PostAmarus Cameron, on 29 November 2011 - 07:42 AM, said:

We will name ourselves something along the lines of the Dragoons and the Red Corsair, do not worry you will see no Clan Smoke Jaguar as a mercenary unit. I cringe at the thought as well. Currently the Clan is in deliberation as to what our name should be.

Can I suggest "The Fidelis"? The name comes from the survivors of Clan Smoke Jaguar in the dark age. It has a connection to CSJ the same way the Red Corsairs do to us and is obscure enough for the uninformed player to not know any better.

#14 Amarus Cameron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 703 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:45 AM

View PostSeth, on 29 November 2011 - 11:42 AM, said:

Can I suggest "The Fidelis"? The name comes from the survivors of Clan Smoke Jaguar in the dark age. It has a connection to CSJ the same way the Red Corsairs do to us and is obscure enough for the uninformed player to not know any better.

I understand you suggestion and thank you for the thought, but my fellow brethren and I must regurgitate any food that we have eaten at the thought of paying homage to anything that has to do with Mechwarrior Dark Age, it was an affront to the Lore of the Battletech Universe and I speak for all of my clan when I say that we want no part of any connection to that abortion.

#15 rucus

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationFort Washingtond, MD

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:50 AM

ok i just found this sight recently and have one question, when will the game be launched?

#16 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:52 AM

Summer 2012, the date in the Inner Sphere will be Summer 3049

#17 Amarus Cameron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 703 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:56 AM

I imagine they will release it on September 21st 11:59PM 2012...that is the last day of summer 2012...and I gotta be honest, I have NO clue how they will make that deadline

#18 Mister Freeze

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:26 PM

I'd expect a similar-sounding name, but without the "Clan" precedent.

Mist Cats
Serpentine Raptors
Sky Serpents
Spirit Grizzlies
Lunar Dogs

Etc.

#19 Kevin Kirov

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:06 PM

I will be joining the Wolf Spiders unit of the Wolfs Dragoons because the Dragoons were trained by Clan Goliath Scorpion, many of whom left to join the dragoons, and it would be a great option for a seeker(which i want to RP)

#20 Seth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 785 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:54 PM

View PostAmarus Cameron, on 29 November 2011 - 11:45 AM, said:

I understand you suggestion and thank you for the thought, but my fellow brethren and I must regurgitate any food that we have eaten at the thought of paying homage to anything that has to do with Mechwarrior Dark Age, it was an affront to the Lore of the Battletech Universe and I speak for all of my clan when I say that we want no part of any connection to that abortion.

Yeah, but how do you really feel about it?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users