72 replies to this topic

#1 Fate 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 05:39 PM

http://mwomercs.com/...resistance-deal

New Resistance 1 variants with the purchase of both top tier resistance packs (similar to the Mad Dog).

Aside from the Panther variant which I think we can agree is absolute garbage, these variants all look to be products of power creep. 3 Energy, Ballistic, 3 Missile Zeus giving you the best of 2 variants (3E+B, 3M), 8 torso/head mounted energy hardpoint Hopper (3 will be high mounted, if not 5), and the Enforcer is basically Yen-Lo-Wang on steroids (and better than the other ballistic Enforcers if you don't have your heart set on JJs).

I understand PGI has to sell mechs, and I'm not complaining that we get some potentially useful mechs (the Enforcer looks great to complement my YLW, and the Grasshopper looks like it might actually be the Heavy IS so desperately needs), but do we have to always get the best mechs in these money-grab packs? The 4th variants for Clan Wave 3 and Resistance 2 are the better/unique ones as well. Lets get some love for the lower-paying customers so that there actually ARE lower paying customers instead of go big or go home.

Edited by Fate 6, 12 May 2015 - 05:40 PM.

#2 Moomtazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 577 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 05:48 PM

Are you saying these mechs won't be available for MC and Cbills at some point?

#3 Anarcho

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 538 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 05:50 PM

I want to buy the resistance 2, but no one can tell me if it really comes with 36 colours or not... Sent a email to PGI and no answer yet...

#4 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:00 PM

Well, the Zeus drops a ballistics and Energy hardpoint for 2 missiles.

Last I checked the current Meta is Lazors, Lazors and MORE LAZORs, with a supplemental in Ballistics. And that Missiles were kinda crap again. So not sure how that's creep, even though I like the layout.

Grasshoppers doesn't have ape arms, so don't see a huge advantage to all torso energy. A little more durability for a lot less aimability. Maybe appeal to the armlock crowd. Shrugs.

The Enforcer has no JJs. Pretty big tradeoff on a Medium Mech. Arm is nice and aimable, but also a low mount. Kind of a hybrid between a HBK-4G and CN9-AH. Nice to have an AC20 option for people who want to run Enforcers. Not going to have the tonnage to heavily utilize the energy slots and enough ammo and DHS, especially at speed.

And the PNT looks cute and fun, and kinda bad. Now if it had a pair of medium lasers instead of the SRM slots? Might be kind of interesting.

Not exactly seeing a TimberWolf D or A being added here.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 12 May 2015 - 06:10 PM.

#5 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:18 PM

The new Zeus looks interesting, but power creep? Really? It's a 9K Victor that trades jets for an extra missile point and a 5 point higher engine cap.

The new Enforcer? Looks interesting, maybe even comparable to the YLW. But you lose the shield arm, which is actually a selling point on the YLW. I expect the new Enforcer to have no lateral movement in the arms, like the YLW and CN9-AH.

New Grasshopper offers nothing new, unless we can get confirmation on how high those extra torso points are.

New Panther... is strange. Might make for an odd s***s n giggles build with AC2 and 2xSRM4.

Not seeing power creep in this.

#6 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:20 PM

View PostEscef, on 12 May 2015 - 06:18 PM, said:

The new Zeus looks interesting, but power creep? Really? It's a 9K Victor that trades jets for an extra missile point and a 5 point higher engine cap.

The new Enforcer? Looks interesting, maybe even comparable to the YLW. But you lose the shield arm, which is actually a selling point on the YLW. I expect the new Enforcer to have no lateral movement in the arms, like the YLW and CN9-AH.

New Grasshopper offers nothing new, unless we can get confirmation on how high those extra torso points are.

New Panther... is strange. Might make for an odd s***s n giggles build with AC2 and 2xSRM4.

Not seeing power creep in this.

Yup. Even the PNT having a much higher engine cap is offset by the lack of energy hardpoints. Either you have a big engine and SRM4s and MGs, making it a poor mans Huggin, or you have a bigger Dakka and can't use that bigger engine anyhow.

Whoopty Doo, lol.

#7 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:22 PM

View PostAnarcho, on 12 May 2015 - 05:50 PM, said:

I want to buy the resistance 2, but no one can tell me if it really comes with 36 colours or not... Sent a email to PGI and no answer yet...

Anarcho, I have your answer https://mwomercs.com/resistancetwo

For each package, there is a number of colors you get. If you buy the full package, you will get all 36 colors. If you buy the Wolfhound, you pick 1 faction pack (6 colors.) Crab gets you 12, Black Knight gets you 24, Mauler gets you all 36.
Look at the "Faction Content" slightly above the buy button for each tier.

#8 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:24 PM

The Panther has 4 total hardpoints, 2 of which are ballistics. That's not power creep, that's power REGRESSION.

Beyond that, this feeds into the forum fear/theory that PGI is literally living from paycheck to paycheck. They just keep trying to pile on more and more wacky bonuses to get people to buy the packs.

#9 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:26 PM

The Grasshopper overall is such a good mech that I will not buy any Mauler pack and simply wait for it to be available for CBills, even if it has 4 high shoulder hardpoints.

#10 Anarcho

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 538 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:27 PM

View PostMoldur, on 12 May 2015 - 06:22 PM, said:

Anarcho, I have your answer https://mwomercs.com/resistancetwo

For each package, there is a number of colors you get. If you buy the full package, you will get all 36 colors. If you buy the Wolfhound, you pick 1 faction pack (6 colors.) Crab gets you 12, Black Knight gets you 24, Mauler gets you all 36.
Look at the "Faction Content" slightly above the buy button for each tier.

I got that, but those letter near the second set of colours make me wonder if they are toed to the faction skin or they are just for people who bought the resistance 1, or something else that PGI will change last minute. I will wait till end of month just to be sure :)

#11 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:29 PM

View PostFupDup, on 12 May 2015 - 06:24 PM, said:

The Panther has 4 total hardpoints, 2 of which are ballistics. That's not power creep, that's power REGRESSION.

Huginn--

Beyond that, this feeds into the forum fear/theory that PGI is literally living from paycheck to paycheck. They just keep trying to pile on more and more wacky bonuses to get people to buy the packs.

It's brilliant isn't it?

#12 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:31 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 12 May 2015 - 06:29 PM, said:

Huginn--

Every mech and variant quirked after the second Quirkening wave has gotten pretty bleh quirks. Huginn-level rocketmachineguns is pretty unlikely.

It's brilliant isn't it?

Maybe if they pack in just a few more thingamajigs and whatchamacallits, enough people will buy in to the grabdeals to keep PGI's hamster wheels spinning for a day.

#13 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:32 PM

Huginn--

It's brilliant isn't it?

Huginn can pack 4MG, at least. Almost enough to actually crit something still. Almost. 2 is just useless.

#14 Anarcho

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 538 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:34 PM

I would love to see tiny packs around 5 to 20 bucks with a couple colours and skins, anything better than buy MC and wait for sales sonce their p4ices are so high for individual itens...

#15 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:37 PM

View PostFupDup, on 12 May 2015 - 06:24 PM, said:

Kinda my concern, although this isn't THAT huge a step beyond the ordinary.

What this likely means is that the Steam release won't be seeing as many delays as we'll probably be asking for.

#16 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:41 PM

1) Zeus with all of those hardpoints loses the sword and board, the strength of the mech, sounds like a -6T with a ballistic arm to me, and guess what you don't have room for a pile of tube AND a big gun, not without slowing to Atlas speeds.

2) There are already 6-7-8 E hard point grasshoppers, who cares, its a too tall jumping T-bolt

3) AC20 enforcer? Meh, enforcers have a 260 engine limit, Yen Lo has a 300, unless the new mech can match that engine, its a non-starter.

4) Panther. I'll say no more.

#17 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:48 PM

View PostYokaiko, on 12 May 2015 - 06:41 PM, said:

1) Zeus with all of those hardpoints loses the sword and board, the strength of the mech, sounds like a -6T with a ballistic arm to me, and guess what you don't have room for a pile of tube AND a big gun, not without slowing to Atlas speeds.

2) There are already 6-7-8 E hard point grasshoppers, who cares, its a too tall jumping T-bolt

3) AC20 enforcer? Meh, enforcers have a 260 engine limit, Yen Lo has a 300, unless the new mech can match that engine, its a non-starter.

4) Panther. I'll say no more.

Well, Panther is actually a solid Light Mech...for non Light Pilots. Maybe not as Ideal as a pack of Firestarters, but still see a fair bit of them for a reason.

The ENF will have a 350 engine limit. SO...if you don't ac20, that's a fast engine, like CN9-D fast...but without any arm reflex. Or JJs. Fair tradeoff.

#18 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:49 PM

View PostAnarcho, on 12 May 2015 - 06:27 PM, said:

I got that, but those letter near the second set of colours make me wonder if they are toed to the faction skin or they are just for people who bought the resistance 1, or something else that PGI will change last minute. I will wait till end of month just to be sure :)

The colors are tied to what faction packages you get. Each faction package comes with a warhorn, 6 color unlocks, and 2 other cockpit a doo-dads. If you decide you want multiples of one package for multiple warhorns you lose out on other faction packages, and thus other faction color unlocks. With 6 faction choices available, plus the 3 Resistance colors, you can conceivably get as many as 39 color unlocks. (I have all the Resistance 1 faction content, so I already have half of the faction color unlocks from that.)

#19 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:52 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 12 May 2015 - 06:00 PM, said:

Well, the Zeus drops a ballistics and Energy hardpoint for 2 missiles.

Last I checked the current Meta is Lazors, Lazors and MORE LAZORs, with a supplemental in Ballistics. And that Missiles were kinda crap again. So not sure how that's creep, even though I like the layout.

Grasshoppers doesn't have ape arms, so don't see a huge advantage to all torso energy. A little more durability for a lot less aimability. Maybe appeal to the armlock crowd. Shrugs.

The Enforcer has no JJs. Pretty big tradeoff on a Medium Mech. Arm is nice and aimable, but also a low mount. Kind of a hybrid between a HBK-4G and CN9-AH. Nice to have an AC20 option for people who want to run Enforcers. Not going to have the tonnage to heavily utilize the energy slots and enough ammo and DHS, especially at speed.

And the PNT looks cute and fun, and kinda bad. Now if it had a pair of medium lasers instead of the SRM slots? Might be kind of interesting.

Not exactly seeing a TimberWolf D or A being added here.

Grasshopper gets another high mounted energy, if not 3.

Enforcer is an up-engined YLW that also gets 2 more energy hardpoints. Not seeing how that's a sacrifice. You can easily fit 3 tons of AC20 ammo and 4ML considering that's what I have on my YLW.

View PostMoomtazz, on 12 May 2015 - 05:48 PM, said:

Are you saying these mechs won't be available for MC and Cbills at some point?

They will. But so will all the 4th preorder variants. Doesn't change the fact that they always make the hardest to get variant the one that people will want. I understand the marketing, but it's the same as making the Assault the highest tier and making all 3 lower tiers mechs you don't want (cough Resistance 2 cough)

#20 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:55 PM

View PostFate 6, on 12 May 2015 - 06:52 PM, said:

...but it's the same as making the Assault the highest tier and making all 3 lower tiers mechs you don't want (cough Resistance 2 cough)

(cough a-la-carte is an option cough)

42 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 42 guests, 0 anonymous users