R.i.p. Timber Wolf, Over Nerfed.

163 replies to this topic

#21 kuritakun

• PipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:07 AM

i think some people are blind to the nerf and quirks because of being hardcore IS or in some cases hardcore Clan, why dont we all be to the point that when its nerfed and the mech suffers from it that its a bad thing, and when its quirked and its too much for that mech its a bad thing too.. only then will we see balance...

#22 Lugh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:07 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 18 May 2015 - 05:03 AM, said:

1. I was pointing out the OP's omission. If you think I was wrong to do that, then you are not worth talking to

2. I am completely fine if those IS mechs you mentioned gets nerfed. Since the top Clan mechs were nerfed, the quirks can now finally die down. Plus, I won't cry over those IS mechs like a sad Clanner.

But it's effectiveness solely lies on quirks, meaning it has a big chance of getting touched sooner and more frequently. I don't chase FoTM mechs so 4N's nerf is of no consequence to me.

As I said, with the lowering of the balance bar, thanks to negative Timbie and Crow quirks, more IS quirk nerfs will inevitably follow. Patience, mechwarrior.

When you have 1000x options to choose from it's not so bad. When you have 10 options everything hurts worse.

#23 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:09 AM

But it's effectiveness solely lies on quirks, meaning it has a big chance of getting touched sooner and more frequently. I don't chase FoTM mechs so 4N's nerf is of no consequence to me.

The quirks alone didnt make the 4n effective. Stalker's being a good design(when not used as an LRM mech) made the mech effective. Quirks simply make it ever more effective.

Edited by mogs01gt, 18 May 2015 - 05:12 AM.

#24 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:12 AM

1. I was pointing out the OP's omission. If you think I was wrong to do that, then you are not worth talking to

2. I am completely fine if those IS mechs you mentioned gets nerfed. Since the top Clan mechs were nerfed, the quirks can now finally die down. Plus, I won't cry over those IS mechs like a sad Clanner.

As I said, with the lowering of the balance bar, thanks to negative Timbie and Crow quirks, more IS quirk nerfs will inevitably follow. Patience, mechwarrior.

IS is not crying because you still have lots of OP chassis to run to...2 out of the 3 viable CW mechs for Clans are about to take a dirt nap...it is kind of a big deal...

#25 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:13 AM

View PostDuoAngel, on 18 May 2015 - 05:06 AM, said:

I got coughed laughing. :lol:
Okaaayy...
So, the only, nope, THE ONLY mech with the same dps out there is DWF with 6xCUAC5s. IRC their dps was 18.3 for DRG vs 18.5 for DWF. Any other mech has 9,5 dps max.
SO, what will you do against four DWFs in CW mode, when you barely can bring one?
But, OK. You cannot see it's OPness, your bad.
I'll die. Should I be mad about that as well? BTW 4 of almost any Mech in th game will likely kill what ever I drive if thet focus fire. So I truly don't see the problem you are having.

Oh and I can't bring any Dire Wolves... I'm Lyran.

#26 DarkMetalBlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 270 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:25 AM

What I think this'll do is bring back the PPC/Gauss meta of the old. Of course, this is probably little more than speculation.

AT the same time, I'm also predicting the population of light mech pilots to be at .00000000000001% come tomorrow.

#27 Insects

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 995 posts
  • Locationstraya

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:31 AM

Okaaayy...
So, the only, nope, THE ONLY mech with the same dps out there is DWF with 6xCUAC5s. IRC their dps was 18.3 for DRG vs 18.5 for DWF. Any other mech has 9,5 dps max.
SO, what will you do against four DWFs in CW mode, when you barely can bring one?

You just shoot its arm off and then run in circles laughing at it.
The things are fun to find, huge achillies heel.

I think stuff like that is good, powerful but at the same time such a weakness which is easily exploited.
Paper, scissors rock is always fun. Everything super powered should have a kryptonite.

#28 MechWarrior849305

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:32 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 18 May 2015 - 05:13 AM, said:

I'll die. Should I be mad about that as well? BTW 4 of almost any Mech in th game will likely kill what ever I drive if thet focus fire. So I truly don't see the problem you are having.

Oh and I can't bring any Dire Wolves... I'm Lyran.

Facepalming :ph34r: You clearly can not into logic and what was written

View Postjoelmuzz, on 18 May 2015 - 05:31 AM, said:

You just shoot its arm off and then run in circles laughing at it.
The things are fun to find, huge achillies heel.

I think stuff like that is good, powerful but at the same time such a weakness which is easily exploited.
Paper, scissors rock is always fun. Everything super powered should have a kryptonite.

Unless you play in 12-man against 12-man with those, no? Try once, you will like it ;) There will be plenty opportunities to 'shoot off their arms'.

Edited by DuoAngel, 18 May 2015 - 05:34 AM.

#29 Lexx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 740 posts
  • LocationSlung below a mech's arm shooting nothing but dirt

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:32 AM

IS mechs received such strong quirks because the TBR and SCR were so OP. They needed them to try and be somewhat competitive.

Now that PGI is finally doing what should have been done in the first place, nerfing the 2 OP mechs instead of trying to buff everything else up to their level, some of those IS quirks got toned down.

So much crying from clan mech users who had an unfair advantage for so long. Now that it's being taken away, some of you are having a temper tantrum like a spoiled little brat crying when someone broke his favorite toy.

#30 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:52 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 18 May 2015 - 05:09 AM, said:

The quirks alone didnt make the 4n effective. Stalker's being a good design(when not used as an LRM mech) made the mech effective. Quirks simply make it ever more effective.

Wrong. Prior to the quirks, I have seen 4N maybe once in 200 pug matches, and it was never used in CW.

Edited by El Bandito, 18 May 2015 - 05:52 AM.

#31 Corpral ellenbogen

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 38 posts
  • LocationChampion PA

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:52 AM

View PostAlwrath, on 18 May 2015 - 04:01 AM, said:

Wow. Just wow. What happened to " small incremental changes "???

LOL. Unless they dial those nerfs back a bit in a few patches, im probably going to put in a support ticket to ask for my a la carte $55 Timberwolf purchase refund.

The Timberwolf, while an excellent mech, was balanced imo. So many people kept on complaining about it being op and the Stormcrow being op but honestly, after all the quirks the IS mechs got, they were just fine and in the right place.

I would have justified these nerfs IF the IS mechs didnt get quirks... but since they did and alot of them are extremely op... these nerfs leave a sour taste in my mouth. And this is coming from someone who plays IS mostly.

I will give PGI time to dial it back since wave 3 is almost here and I dont really care that much. Just sharing my thoughts on this drastic nerf hammer that never should have been.

these nerfs are nothing a good pilot cant addapt too and overcome stop being so negative

#32 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:53 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 18 May 2015 - 05:52 AM, said:

Nope. Prior to the quirks, I have seen 4N maybe once in 200 matches, and it was never used in CW.

That is one variant, how many Misery's have you seen.

#33 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:53 AM

View PostGyrok, on 18 May 2015 - 05:12 AM, said:

IS is not crying because you still have lots of OP chassis to run to...2 out of the 3 viable CW mechs for Clans are about to take a dirt nap...it is kind of a big deal...

For one, the effects of the nerf are probably a bit exqgerated. Let's see how things play out. The affects will be felt, but claiming a dirt nap for the Storm Crow and Timber Wolf is a bit over dramatic for the sake of trying to make a point.

Secondly, keeping 2 mechs very OP for the sake of Clan competitiveness in CW is not a good reason to keep them OP. Instead of getting angry about balancing overpowered chassis, you should be asking why a buff to other Clan mechs isn't happening at the same time (or at least right on its heels).

The Timber Wolf and Storm Crow did need to be adjusted. I highly doubt it has made those 2 mechs dead...hardly. Still, if you want more variety in CW for Clanners, push PGI for a broad clan quirk pass instead of asking for over powerful mechs to stay overpowered. Heck, ask for a good A/C ballistic pass while your at it.

#34 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:54 AM

View PostLugh, on 18 May 2015 - 05:07 AM, said:

When you have 1000x options to choose from it's not so bad. When you have 10 options everything hurts worse.

Drop off the hyperbole. It makes your post stupid if nothing else.

View Postmogs01gt, on 18 May 2015 - 05:53 AM, said:

Do not derail it. I was speaking solely about the 4N.

Okaaayy...

If you think Direwhales in CW is OP, then clearly you do not play CW well enough. Besides,since top Clan mechs are nerfed, PGI will eventually nerf the 1N as well.

Edited by El Bandito, 18 May 2015 - 05:58 AM.

#35 Caboosegg

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 47 posts
  • LocationWigan, UK

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:54 AM

wait you mean people will actually have to play well instead of just building a point and click mech........ SHOCK HORROR.

#36 Catra Lanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:03 AM

View Postkuritakun, on 18 May 2015 - 05:07 AM, said:

i think some people are blind to the nerf and quirks because of being hardcore IS or in some cases hardcore Clan, why dont we all be to the point that when its nerfed and the mech suffers from it that its a bad thing, and when its quirked and its too much for that mech its a bad thing too.. only then will we see balance...

The problem is that I've seen this cycle before in other games. There will never be balance it will go round and round or back and forth if you will until the game shuts down.

Sometimes I'd think it would be better if we simply accepted that some mechs are way better than others and instead concentrated on getting bugs ironed out and better game modes.

#37 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:08 AM

View PostAlwrath, on 18 May 2015 - 04:01 AM, said:

The Timberwolf, while an excellent mech, was balanced imo.

... lol. There's your problem.

Your idea of balanced is "it's the best mech in the game and can do almost any loadout better then every other mech in the game"?

#38 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:09 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 18 May 2015 - 05:53 AM, said:

I have one.

#39 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:09 AM

In general I think more weapon systems should be viable for both, clans and IS. Personally I do not play clans because I can't stand those damn autocannons.

LRMs are useless now, too, thanks to the ECM inflation...so.../shrug

#40 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:11 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 18 May 2015 - 05:54 AM, said:

Do not derail it. I was speaking solely about the 4N.

The quirks didnt make the 4n popular, the play style of CW and lasers being the most reliable weapon in MWO did. The 6LL 4n still ran hot as piss in non-CW matches.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users