So How About Some More Ballistic Hardpoint Options For The Scr And Tbr...

9 replies to this topic

#1 Jeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 441 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:35 PM

The SCR, if I am not mistaken has only one ballistic hardpoint option ... so the rest are missile or lasers.

The TBR isn't as bad, but every single left arm is energy hardpoints... How about a ballistic left arm...

We have seen forever how boating lots of the same type weapons can do massive dmg... so the clan mechs using lots of lasers will pack a punch... it's part of life with a FPS vs rolling dice for hit location... but the clan mechs also seem to be built around boating lots of lasers or missiles based on hardpoint options...

I personally tend to migrate towards ballistic / laser builds if I can in most cases...
Ballistics give punch, and lasers don't run out of ammo... which I find a nice balance, but I found with clan mechs, most of my builds become energy focused, or energy / missile focused... not due to a meta per say... but due to the hardpoint options.

So, how about some more ballistic omnipods :)

#2 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:36 PM

would first require ballistics to be better than energy so theres actually a reason to use them

#3 TyphonCh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationDue North

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:17 AM

Oh, so we can start boating those next? No thanks. Get creative for gods sake

#4 xDust

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 113 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:22 AM

Yeah, sure thing, it's called a Cauldron-Born.

#5 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:22 AM

Sean lang runs a Timber wolf with 2 torso mounted UA/C5s and 3 arm mounted ERMLasers to pretty good effect. I'm not sure the omnipod load out, but it does have JJs. You may want to try that.

I've also run my Prime with a gauss or ultra 10. Both seemed to work decent.

#6 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:26 AM

Tried dual Ultra 10 on my TBR and I fel flat on my face, but that's mostly because I was impatient and fought beyond ideal range. I normally do really well on my UAC20 HBR or my UAC5 Gargle. Maybe the UAC10 is just not for me.

#7 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:30 AM

I think the dual 5s did look good. Rarely will both jam and it does have the additional range that dual 5's offer over a single 10 or larger. Plus I'm sure screen shake is pretty intense.

I'd try it, but I only have a pure TW prime at the moment with no omnipods. I'm saving up for my second TW now.

#8 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:34 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 20 May 2015 - 02:30 AM, said:

I think the dual 5s did look good. Rarely will both jam and it does have the additional range that dual 5's offer over a single 10 or larger. Plus I'm sure screen shake is pretty intense.

I'd try it, but I only have a pure TW prime at the moment with no omnipods. I'm saving up for my second TW now.

2 UAC5s and 6 tons of ammo should be good for 400-600 damage on their own regardless of whether you are IS or Clan. I run it frequently on both sides. Toss in the 3 ERMLs on top of that and you should be doing well most of the time.

I do often cheat though. I wait for people to figure out where the slow assault mechs are and I point my guns in their direction.

Edited by Elizander, 20 May 2015 - 02:35 AM.

#9 Jeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 441 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:05 AM

View PostTeam Chevy86, on 20 May 2015 - 02:17 AM, said:

Oh, so we can start boating those next? No thanks. Get creative for gods sake

the idea of adding more ballistic hardpoints was to allow more options then just lasers and missiles... or to be more creative...
In a stormcrow your not going to be able to boat very many due to the weight needed anyways...
TW you can limit the number of hardpoints to prevent too many.

I was just thinking part of the problem I find when building clan mechs is they do tend to come out laser heavy due to hardpoints.

Although after thinking about it more, I agree with Khobai, the current ballistics weigh a lot more, and need more weight for ammo... it's hard to justify taking them over the lasers which need no ammo and weigh very little...

I might give the uac4/3ml a try though as that sounds like an IS setup I would run... ;)

I sometimes do the TBR with a gauss, but I had swapped it out to a PPC to change things up a bit (and I sorta suck with the gauss lol)

Edited by Jeb, 20 May 2015 - 11:07 AM.

#10 Sarlic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:06 AM

Go away.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users