Just Loving The New Face Time

18 replies to this topic

#1 crustydog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:44 AM

Yup - Whoever thought this up should probably be fired.

And banned from computers... forever.

#2 Templar Dane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:47 AM

View Postcrustydog, on 20 May 2015 - 12:44 AM, said:

Yup - Whoever thought this up should probably be fired.

And banned from computers... forever.

Don't like the new clan tag lasers?

#3 N0ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:23 AM

Adapt and overcome.

Or if you don't want it give it to me.

#4 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:39 AM

Use pulse lasers with srms and do twice the damage anyhow.

#5 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:23 AM

Learn to use Gauss?

#6 Xeraphale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 241 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:38 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 20 May 2015 - 03:23 AM, said:

Learn to use Gauss?

There's a lot of people who are going to have to because it's not like clan auto cannons are any good!

Having said that, I can't really comment as I haven't played since the patch. Only one of my timbie builds was laser vomit anyway, though I'm intrigued to see how it will affect my 2x PPC 6x SPL build.

#7 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:44 AM

I just bought the all energy Locust... Is it a bad time to do that? :huh:

#8 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:52 AM

I remember when the gauss rifle charge-up mechanic was implemented in MWO. There was much hysteria, much wailing and gnashing of teeth. A lot of people talking about how the gauss rifle was now useless and PGI had ruined the game forever.

Two years later, it's still one of the best weapons in the game.

A lot of the QQ came from people who just weren't very good to begin with.

#9 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:56 AM

I still don't "like" the charge up on teh Gauss. BUT it does a good job enforcing that 60 Meter minimum range. You either learn how to time the charge or you miss an enemy in close. It fits, I don't like it but it does work.

#10 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 20 May 2015 - 04:04 AM

The charge is a clear disadvantage for an otherwise very powerful weapon; the increase in face time for lasers is just that. For poking the cERLL was already quite useless but I'm slightly unhappy that the cSPLs that I need for close-range pinpoint also suffer. I use 5 or 6 of them, so that's 15-18% on top of the other energy weapon slots.

I'd be in favor of unlocking endo for all the other clan mediums & heavies and modifying the entire clan laser range, rather than an ad-hoc quirk. Is it a coincidence that the mechs that are supposedly OP have both FF and endo unlocked?

Edited by The Great Unwashed, 20 May 2015 - 04:11 AM.

#11 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 20 May 2015 - 04:13 AM

View PostThe Great Unwashed, on 20 May 2015 - 04:04 AM, said:

I'd be in favor of unlocking endo for all the other clan mediums & heavies and modifying the entire clan laser range, rather than an ad-hoc quirk. Is it a coincidence that the mechs that are supposedly OP have both FF and endo unlocked?

I'd actually be for unlocking endo/ferro for other clams because until that happens everything will be inferior to clams that have them unlocked and PGI will have to go through the quirkening again.

New Clam Quirk (already mentioned before):
  • This mech can upgrade to endo/ferro.
Balance problem for clams solved. :ph34r:

#12 Duke Nedo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 04:23 AM

View PostThe Great Unwashed, on 20 May 2015 - 04:04 AM, said:

The charge is a clear disadvantage for an otherwise very powerful weapon; the increase in face time for lasers is just that. For poking the cERLL was already quite useless but I'm slightly unhappy that the cSPLs that I need for close-range pinpoint also suffer. I use 5 or 6 of them, so that's 15-18% on top of the other energy weapon slots.

I support this view as well, a few non-laser-vomit builds are collateral damage and implementing it as a straight 10% cd/duration nerf on the CTs could have done the job just as well if not better.

Endo/ff, yes to that as well. Going all in with quirks instead is just band-aid which postpones a more proper in-depth take on both clan vs clan and clan vs is balance. Imo PGI would make life easier for them selves if they addressed the clan XL once and for all and unlocked ff/endo in the process.

Edited by Duke Nedo, 20 May 2015 - 04:24 AM.

#13 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 20 May 2015 - 04:41 AM

I'm not sure how the XL engine might be solved (interesting topic for discussion), but I do know that if energy boating is a problem you might want to stop handing out 13 energy slots to Stormcrows and stop releasing mechs like the recent Timber-A...

Solution 1: I do think the heatcap is a bit too high so firing many weapons goes unpunished. Make it lower to avoid high-energy alphas
Solution 2: A sort-of ghost-cooldown penalty makes sense if you require all your weapons to be recharged and your engine just can't keep up with the power demand; the more heat you generate, the longer your cooldown period. Some weapons might start to recharge in sequence so you need to wait much longer (almost like the UAC jam...).
Solution 3: if you shut down from overheating you run a serious risk of burning out a DHS or two :)
Solution 4: make clan ballistics viable and make sure ammo explosions due to overheating start to occur

Implement all of the above; it will make a clan mech much more difficult to drive. But do not increase the burn time of the weapons further.

Edited by The Great Unwashed, 20 May 2015 - 04:46 AM.

#14 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 04:48 AM

View PostElizander, on 20 May 2015 - 04:13 AM, said:

I'd actually be for unlocking endo/ferro for other clams because until that happens everything will be inferior to clams that have them unlocked and PGI will have to go through the quirkening again.

New Clam Quirk (already mentioned before):
  • This mech can upgrade to endo/ferro.
Balance problem for clams solved. :ph34r:

When did this become Tide of the Goldfish?

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 20 May 2015 - 04:51 AM.

#15 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 20 May 2015 - 04:53 AM

Couldn't bear it after having read confidant.

#16 Sable

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 924 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 07:24 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 20 May 2015 - 03:52 AM, said:

I remember when the gauss rifle charge-up mechanic was implemented in MWO. There was much hysteria, much wailing and gnashing of teeth. A lot of people talking about how the gauss rifle was now useless and PGI had ruined the game forever.

Two years later, it's still one of the best weapons in the game.

A lot of the QQ came from people who just weren't very good to begin with.

Do you know why people forced themselves to learn how to use the Gauss??? Because everything else sucked! And when everything sucks you might as well take the no heat generating suck to balance out the high heat of energy weapons.

Edited by Sable, 20 May 2015 - 07:24 AM.

#17 crustydog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 May 2015 - 07:31 AM

I don't like Gauss rifles, I don't need 3 streak boats... I don't need crippled Crows.

Can't use cannon ballistics - can't use lasers - can't unlock useless tonnage - I guess that leaves LRM's....

A 100 KPH LRM BOAT!!!

That's the ticket - get ready for some rain - 'cause I've a lot of wasted C-Bills to recover.

Edited by crustydog, 20 May 2015 - 07:32 AM.

#18 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 09:11 AM

View Postcrustydog, on 20 May 2015 - 07:31 AM, said:

I don't like Gauss rifles, I don't need 3 streak boats... I don't need crippled Crows.

Can't use cannon ballistics - can't use nothing BUT lasers - can't unlock useless tonnage - I guess that leaves LRM's....

A 100 KPH LRM BOAT!!!

That's the ticket - get ready for some rain - 'cause I've a lot of wasted C-Bills to recover.

FTFY.

Got to give kudos' for the high level of Drama Queen in that post though. Very well done. ;)

Edited by Almond Brown, 20 May 2015 - 09:11 AM.

#19 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:51 AM

I don't feel a difference... whether I'm immune or confused (or something you could make up, I'm sure)... I dunno.

However, CERLL... lol no. I'm not touching that. Everything else (at least as the laservomit meta is concerned) is more or less the same.

Unfortunately, since PPCs aren't in use or in force as a counterplay measure, it doesn't feel that much different and it's hard to punish laservomit w/o actual PPC usage (like unquirked and generically better).

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users