What 3 Do You Suggest I Get?

15 replies to this topic

#1 MysticLink

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 214 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:27 PM

I want do buy 3 timberwolfs and 3 stormcrows, I have just enough c-bills for this, what three do you suggest I buy of each? (explain why please)

Thanks.

#2 Kira Onime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:28 PM

Timber 'cause it's still a great mech.

#3 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:32 PM

View PostKiraOnime, on 21 May 2015 - 12:28 PM, said:

Timber 'cause it's still a great mech.

It wasn't an either or, he's wondering about which variants of each he should get.

#4 Big Tin Man

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:32 PM

Why not both?

3 stormcrows, play 2 of them hard this weekend and get basics done. Strip & sell them (save the omnipods) and buy as many timberwolves as possible after that. You may only get 2 of the 3 timmies, but then you'll have the equivalent of 5 mechs.

If you're going for a clanner dropdeck, then do this, but buy & sell the timmies first since you only need 1, keep the crows. You lose more on resale this way, but you're keeping more mechs.

Nevermind, misread the OP. Thought it was either SCR or TBR's. Carry on.

Edited by Big Tin Man, 21 May 2015 - 12:36 PM.

#5 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,611 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:33 PM

Timberwolf Prime, Alt D, Alt C or, Alt S if you want jump jets. 'A' is only for MCs still. But Prime and Alt D first.

Edited by Lightfoot, 21 May 2015 - 12:34 PM.

#6 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:34 PM

He means variants, here are TBRs
the S because its the only way to get 1 JJ
The C because it has a CT energy
The A (i think it also has a CT energy) check before purchasing.

All the prime has is the CT ballistic... so a single MG, and those a pretty worthless on TBRs for most builds

Edited by DONTOR, 21 May 2015 - 12:35 PM.

#7 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:35 PM

You might want to wait a couple of days until the hysterics dies down and some good feedback on how the modified Timberwolf and Stormcrow actually plays comes through.

At the moment, the impression I have from most of the comments is that the nerf ranges from hardly noticeable to significant but still playable. A few people are complaining that it is completely useless and unplayable but given the range of other moderate opinions also expressed from owners of Timberwolves, I think the extreme comments have to be laid at the feet of the pilot or the fitting rather than the mech.

I only have the Stormcrow and haven't had a chance to play it since the patch so I don't have a direct opinion based on experience ... though the increase of about 0.25 seconds on burn times should be noticeable but not impossible to deal with.

P.S. Ooops ... misread the initial post ... look for the variants that offer the most unique fitting options. CT energy hardpoints ... jump jets ... high shoulder mounted energy hard points (e.g. TBR-A) Since, all of the omni pods are interchangeable ... the goal is to try to get the best mix as opposed to one variant being better than another ... the only difference in each is the CT. In addition, as far as I know, you can buy the individual omni-pods in the mech lab ... so if there is one omni-pod you really want from one variant but the rest doesn't offer much .. get the other variants and pick up that omni pod by itself. Base the variant choice mostly on what the CT has to offer and the overall variety of pods between the 3 choices.

Edited by Mawai, 21 May 2015 - 12:40 PM.

#8 Crotch RockIt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 583 posts
  • Locationchewing his lower lip

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:38 PM

View PostDONTOR, on 21 May 2015 - 12:34 PM, said:

He means variants, here are TBRs
the S because its the only way to get 1 JJ
The C because it has a CT energy
The A (i think it also has a CT energy) check before purchasing.

All the prime has is the CT ballistic... so a single MG, and those a pretty worthless on TBRs for most builds

Yes, but the Prime avoids the negative energy quirk on the CT.

#9 Big Tin Man

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:43 PM

As for stromcrows, all CT's are void of hardpoints and carry the same quirks, so the chassis doesn't really matter. Mix and match your omnipods based on what works for you.

Prime, D and C affords you the most hardpoint variety.

#10 Fuggles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 518 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 01:31 PM

View PostCrotch RockIt, on 21 May 2015 - 12:38 PM, said:

Yes, but the Prime avoids the negative energy quirk on the CT.

this is a good point to consider, i was going to pick up the S, C, D but i imagine that id be using the CT energy point on the C and D anyway. i just dont see any other point in the prime, CT ballistic is useless and no CT JJ

Edited by Fuggles, 21 May 2015 - 01:34 PM.

#11 MysticLink

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 214 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 03:25 PM

I am not going get the A, since i want to only spend c-bills. So I get the s for jumpjets, i get the c for laser in the middle, so what should i get as the third the d or prime?

Edit: Was talking about the timberwolf.

Edited by MysticLink, 21 May 2015 - 03:46 PM.

#12 MysticLink

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 214 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 03:56 PM

Regarding the timber wolfs. Definitely the S for jumpjets.

I am going to get the prime because I might want to builds that missile or ac heavy with little lasers and may want to take less laser penalty with lpl instead of medium lasers, and think I am going get the D instead of the C for some missile builds with 2.5% extra bonus experience.

It seems you can pick either c or d and it does no difference really, but the other two can bring different variety.

For stormcrow, pick prime, d and c because it gives most variety and there is no difference in CT.

Do I got this right?

#13 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:17 PM

View PostMysticLink, on 21 May 2015 - 03:25 PM, said:

I am not going get the A, since i want to only spend c-bills. So I get the s for jumpjets, i get the c for laser in the middle, so what should i get as the third the d or prime?

Edit: Was talking about the timberwolf.

The Prime has "no penalty". The Timberwolf-C and Timberwolf-D are more or less the "same" with the current state of MWO.

The C has the ballistic arm (you may want to use that...) and the D has the missile side torsos that are more useful if you have no need for the Timberwolf-S's side torso JJs. The latter probably has a more useful application (of course, you can buy the omnipods for that anyways as the CT is "fixed" more or less).

View PostMysticLink, on 21 May 2015 - 03:56 PM, said:

Regarding the timber wolfs. Definitely the S for jumpjets.

I am going to get the prime because I might want to builds that missile or ac heavy with little lasers and may want to take less laser penalty with lpl instead of medium lasers, and think I am going get the D instead of the C for some missile builds with 2.5% extra bonus experience.

It seems you can pick either c or d and it does no difference really, but the other two can bring different variety.

For stormcrow, pick prime, d and c because it gives most variety and there is no difference in CT.

Do I got this right?

For the Stormcrow, it kinda doesn't really matter, due to the CT having no variation. However, I think the Prime (functions mostly OK, except for the recent nerfs that affects the CERLL the most), the C (ballistic), and D (missile) are arguably the best... the A has not so much value.. and even then you could just buy the 4E left arm omnipod anyways.

Edited by Deathlike, 21 May 2015 - 05:20 PM.

#14 xDust

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:42 PM

Timber Wolves:

S - CT JJ and, concerning the recent laser fiasco, no penalties. The torso omnis can be transferred to give JJs to other mechs.

D - CT E hardpoint. Some say that it's not too much of a difference with the TBR-C for most intents and purposes, but I think the plain 2M torsos can come very handy, and with a few tweaks, the stock D loadout can be potent.

Prime - CT ballistic which is only one slot, so really not too useful, but it also has no negative laser quirks, which might be the new reason to get TBR-Primes.

#15 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:49 AM

TBR-Prime for Gauss+2LPL
TBR-S for 4ASRM6+4SPL
TBR-C for pew pew builds

SCR literally doesn't matter they're identical.

#16 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:54 AM

The medium mech queue is much shorter than the Heavy mech queue so I suggest the medium.

Also I think ton for ton the SCR really packs in the firepower.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users