173 replies to this topic

#21 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 05:05 AM

Waypoint reached!

Zeus' have Basic skills done. Grasshoppers and my random reward Jaeger to go.

I've found the meta-tastic Zeus' to be much easier, which isn't always the case. Laser vomit and Gauss/Laser vomit are way easier to do well in than SRM brawler. Maybe its hit reg with the SRMs but I just don't get the punch I'd like from either 12 or 18 missiles. I'd try an LRM variant but again, not enough missiles to be effective without compromising the rest of the build.

Anyhoo, I'll be naming and commenting on the last few Zeus matches tonight. Check it out. Or not. I'm not the boss of you.

#22 OTC-Tumbleweed

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 11 posts
  • LocationCitrus County, FL USA

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:11 AM

Love your attitude, cleghorn6, because it's exactly the same as mine. I only pug because I don't have the time to devote properly to CW. Some nights I can't do anything right, it seems (not often all MY fault), and others I rock in with 3-5 kills per game. I just love this game and anything MechWarrior. Been messing with this since MW2 DOS, with all versions of FPS-type played since. (No MechCommander). I have my favorite chassis' and load-outs, but I can't stand running them all the time. I'm here for the fun and diversion from real life. I'll run with you anytime, look me up!

Edited by yamamoto, 24 August 2015 - 06:13 AM.

#23 Bluemaxx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 115 posts
  • LocationAustralia....somewhere

Posted 24 August 2015 - 04:39 PM

thankyou so much for putting your vids on youtube. Sub from me ;)

i've been playing for the same amount of time that you have and i've had a love/hate relationship with MWO for a lot of that time. You videos have helped me not feel so bad about my skills - stats be damned!
Oceanic servers are making playing MWO again more enjoyable seeing as I can finally hit what i'm aiming at these days B)

#24 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 06:43 AM

Oh, when I see a sub 100 ping on the pre-match screen it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy (I'm in Perth, suckers!). Looking at Russ' recent tweets, it looks like the Euro players aren't hard enough to come play with the ping we're used to ;)

I feel you on the stats thing. When I started out I was screen-shotting my web site stats screens whenever I changed 'mech so I could reverse engineer my individual 'mech stats. I eventually realised that actually, I could just enjoy the game and have fun. So maybe it's because I don't get to play much, just a couple of matches a day at most, or maybe because I like trying different things so I know I'm tanking my stats but I've never had to take time off.

I know I'm never going to be a competitive player, in the same way I know I'm never going to be picked out of the crowd to play cricket for Australia. I might like to imagine I could but I'm aware it probably wouldn't work the way I like to imagine.

I've considered joining ARMD (also F8L) just to see how the group thing is. I know a couple of people who play with you guys but again, I'm quite happy doing what I'm doing. I'll add you in-game, if you see me online, say hi.

#25 Bluemaxx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 115 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 07:26 PM

I've moved from Perth to Sydney and have the 140 ping showing up but wishing i had the sweet 100ms ping

I'll look for your invite and if I see you on we can drop some games, don't have a great deal of time with study and all but still nice to be enjoying mwo again and would be good to join up and drop with you.
in regards to joining a group, if your interested in just pugging then I wouldn't worry. I know ARMD has its competitive players, its CW players and its plungers but just make friends with anyone from any group and it'll be sweet.

Watched some of your vids, playing the enforcer looked like it was a tough time.....I should know....I've mastered the vindicators before the quirks were released *shudder*

Edited by Bluemaxx, 25 August 2015 - 07:30 PM.

#26 Cementi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 779 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 08:33 PM

I think many of you missed the point of the OP. He is doing this for fun and to let people know they are really not as terrible at the game as they might think.

I play alot for fun, often with some goofy builds *shrug* sometimes they work sometimes they do not. Like the OP my stats are not so hot, .89 or so with about 3000 matches. Does not really reflect my skill though as there are alot of drops there where I was running odd builds or frankly running with a good group of friends that may or may not have been rather inebriated more often than not heh.....even sober they were not the most co ordinated bunch lol. Not because they were bad, many damn good pilots but they were more worried about having fun than anything else.

So take away the goofing around drops/builds and track only my serious drops/builds I know that it would be alot higher. Stats mean nothing.

PS: your not as bad as you think you are OP especially for a casual player. Keep having fun man, it is what the game is about, now off to my AC 20 Raven.

#27 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 08:58 PM

so i watched a couple of ach vids (lb2, 3 ml on one; 2 lrm-5, 2 ml, 1 flamer and tag on another, no ecm on the first) and then i watch a pnt vid, the op asks his teammate 'dude, are you seriously running locust-pb without ecm?'
here i chuckled

Edited by bad arcade kitty, 25 August 2015 - 09:03 PM.

#28 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:05 AM

View PostBluemaxx, on 25 August 2015 - 07:26 PM, said:

Watched some of your vids, playing the enforcer looked like it was a tough time.....I should know....I've mastered the vindicators before the quirks were released *shudder*

I believe professional help is available for people who have been through a traumatic experience like that. Hug it out man.

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 25 August 2015 - 08:58 PM, said:

so i watched a couple of ach vids (lb2, 3 ml on one; 2 lrm-5, 2 ml, 1 flamer and tag on another, no ecm on the first) and then i watch a pnt vid, the op asks his teammate 'dude, are you seriously running locust-pb without ecm?'
here i chuckled

The ACH variants in my First Impressions vids are stock or near stock, certainly no omni-pod changes so if it doesn't come with ECM out of the box, I didn't run it with ECM. To run a no ECM LCT-PB, you have to have decided that you have a better use for 1.5T and 2 slots than the magic invulnerability box. This is a level of crazy previously unexplored by mankind.

I'm happy to take criticism but you're going to have to do better than that.

EDIT: In other news, the first GHR vids are up.

Edited by cleghorn6, 26 August 2015 - 07:50 AM.

#29 Bluemaxx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 115 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 12:50 PM

Oh grasshopper, was looking at going into that chassis. I shall watch with interest.....

On a side note, the meds I'm on after my vindicator experience have greatly helped me recover from the trauma.
The mechs still sit in my mechbays but.....I want to be rid of them but something stops me from letting them go....maybe it is because every time I pilot the -1 AA model I kill a king crab every time I take it out for a run....4MPL and an SRM6 do work :)

Edited by Bluemaxx, 26 August 2015 - 12:50 PM.

#30 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:23 AM

Yeah, don't rush. I haven't settled into a groove with them yet. It's ... not pretty.

I know exactly what you're talking about. I struggled for so long with the ENF-5P but every once in a while I'd take it out and it would just sing. Then 5 matches of 127 damage, 2 assists and a loss.

GRF-1S on the other hand, I stripped and sold that fscking thing as soon as I finished basics. Still the only 'mech I've ever sold.

#31 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 02:42 AM

Progress update for my millions of fans. Just completed the Blood Pact challenge week with the GHR-5J because C- Bills. I had a mediocre time of it. It has taken me a long time to get into the groove of a laser vomit heavy. I'm running a 350XL in the J which makes it fast (for a heavy) but squishy.

I'm back in the H now with I think a 300STD. Maybe 320. I'll have to see how I go. I don't do well in Assaults because my positioning is bad. This translates to Heavies, especially slow heavies, so a 350 J I can get the hang of. A 300 odd H is another matter entirely. So come on down and see how hard I'm eating it. Link is in my sig.

#32 Bluemaxx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 115 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 12:54 AM

*fanboying so hard right now*

:P

#33 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 08:20 AM

Ok, it's safe to come and watch now Bluemaxx, I'm starting to get the hang of it.

Plus, now I'm driving a 8 x MPL GHR-5N. So, you know ... wubs.

#34 Extremist Pain

• PipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 01:46 PM

i gave you two subscriptions. watch my vids and critic (self promo)

#35 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 08:05 AM

I'm loving all the comments guys, keep it up. I'm glad people are enjoying my videos.

In the bad news column, I'll be taking an enforced break for about a week, I'm moving house. Hopefully I'll be back and recording games again by the end of next week. I knew you'd be worried so I thought I'd let you know.

Clearly I'm not going to get my IS 'mechs all done any time soon since I've now got a bunch of brand spanking new Maulers sitting in my hangar and a queue of other new 'mechs on their way. Plus I'm going to have to buy the Marauder pack. It's not even a choice. So settle in kids, it's gonna be a long ride.

#36 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 04:22 PM

Two points. 1, scrub tier confirmed. And not even "oh I'm right on the edge", nope, smack bang in the middle of tier 4. 2 I'm back online. Recorded a couple of matches last night, will upload them later today.

You may carry on with your lives now.

#37 Danghen Woolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 339 posts
  • LocationHarlech, Romulus, Outreach

Posted 28 September 2015 - 04:46 PM

I applaud your attempts to change how players are measured. I too have been playing for a while and my stats show that I am as casual as they come. I think the most important part about the whole thing is to have fun.

See you out there,

"Cargo"

#38 TheMessy

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 05:47 PM

Going to watch some now, but you really should elite a mech out so it has basic x2 sometime, just one mech you like a lot. It makes a world of difference how they move once you have double basics! Keep up the good work average player (just like me).

#39 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 28 September 2015 - 06:52 PM

Good for you cleghorn6.

Understand where you are coming from with working on each mech.
To me, each mech has a particular feel to it.
Add to that the ability to customise and then getting the skills, there is a real adaption to the process.
I do something similar in that I like to work my way through each chassis, get a feel for the stock loadout a bit, then start tweaking it.
Might explain some of my stats, but in the end the games I enjoy most are those where I felt like my actions contributed to the success of the team and we had an epic fight.

Keep up the good work.

#40 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:35 PM

I've decided to Master my Hunchback 4J, the only HBK I don't have mastered. So come and compare my tactics to JMan's (Hint: his are better).

After that I might do the same to my two unloved Jenners, the K and the Oxide but I'm pretty sure I've tried to Master the Oxide before and man it is HARD WORK. Missiles at high ping. *blech*

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users