Heyo

Help Me New Player Feedback

20 replies to this topic

#1 Ivory Vise

Rookie

• Mercenary
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:24 AM

My name is Rayne, and I've been a MechWarrior fanatic for quite a long time. However, this is the first step I have set foot on for Mechwarrior Online.

In the past, anything Mechwarrior I have always dived head on for the Atlas battlemech. What is the upsides and downsides of the Atlas battlemech I may encounter on MWO?

#2 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:34 AM

View PostIvory Vise, on 23 May 2015 - 09:24 AM, said:

My name is Rayne, and I've been a MechWarrior fanatic for quite a long time. However, this is the first step I have set foot on for Mechwarrior Online.

In the past, anything Mechwarrior I have always dived head on for the Atlas battlemech. What is the upsides and downsides of the Atlas battlemech I may encounter on MWO?

Upsides:
Pretty good at Brawling.
Can take a serious beating before going down.
Is really pretty.
The D-DC variant has ECM, which is the single most powerful module in the game

Downsides:
The weapon hardpoints are slightly awkward.
Doesn't really work in long range engagements.
The D-DC variant is clearly the best, so the others might end up mostly collecting dust.

#3 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:35 AM

Right now it's lacking in some armor quirks. It's not terrible and you can wreck face with it, but it requires a lot of twisting and positioning in order to get good results from it due to it having mixed weaponry. It's still a decent ride, but I personally think that it could use some head reduction quirks when it goes brawling.

You'll definitely want the D-DC for ECM and just pick whatever you want for the other 2.

Oh, another downside is that CW (the sorta more competitive part of the game) is limited to 240 tons so if you start with Atlas mechs you can bring 2 at most with 2 locusts.

#4 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:49 AM

Although the Atlas is the iconic mech, there are a few assaults that are arguably better. However, it is currently the only assault that can mount an ECM (The D-DC variant), so that alone makes the other issues worth dealing with.

#5 Cupid and Psyche _

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 256 posts
  • LocationUnion DropShip

Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:08 AM

The people who have commented before me pretty much about sum it up. The 'mech can be a bit more difficult to pilot as well as you can in other mechs if you are new. If you are a new player looking for suggestions for an IS assault mech, then I would have to say the Stalker and Banshee are the way to go.

#6 RedEagle86

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:23 AM

Another comment - they tend to get focused first, and especially the gun torso.

#7 Ivory Vise

Rookie

• Mercenary
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 11:20 AM

I'll be sure to note these when the game finishes it's installation.

Thank you!

#8 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:21 PM

View PostIvory Vise, on 23 May 2015 - 11:20 AM, said:

Thank you!

when you start you are stuck with the trial Mechs, use those for the first 25 matches and (thanks to the cadet bonus) you should have 9-10 million cbills, earnings slow after the first 25

if you want the Atlas as your first Mech you will have roughly enough to purchase one, but bear in mind to make it work well you will want about another 4 million to spend on upgrades, you will definitely ultimately want Double Heat Sinks (considered a compulsory 1.5 million cbill upgrade for most Mechs if you want them to be competitive), you will probably also want a larger Stahdard engine (an XL is a bad idea in an Atlas as you can still be very dangerous with a single side torso, and people will usualy remove your ballistic carrying Right torso first) and quite possibly Endo Steel internals (weight saving in exchange for space, offers a larger weight saving for the same number of slots as Fero Fibrus armor)

you may consider buying the Atlas mastery Pack (under bundles in the store, it contains 3 Atlas variants, including one with a 30% income boost, some premium time and cockpit items) but that would require spending $50 on MC, you would have enough left over to buy a few colours or Mechbays.

#9 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:27 PM

View PostIvory Vise, on 23 May 2015 - 11:20 AM, said:

Thank you!

If you plan on being anywhere near the front line you will want a standard engine in it (STD 300 preferably, it's the best of the bunch for most short range builds).

Just a heads up, this is nothing like the previous Mechwarrior video games. So please, come here, and ask questions as often as possible.

Also, you will want to read this thread when it comes to building your mech.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 23 May 2015 - 10:28 PM.

#10 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 24 May 2015 - 01:24 AM

Posted Image
(Sorry, always wanted to use that pic, welcome!!)

A few more things on the Atlas. As an Assault it is slow and to utilize it optimally you need good map knowledge and situational knowledge. I.E. you need to know where the rest of your team will be going and already move there in order to arrive in time and not be left behind (don't count on your team mates to wait for you in solo games).

When you're at the front you'll often also be expected to take the lead when near the enemy, with friendly mechs looking your way and silently asking you why you aren't doing something. Because you will be expected to wade in and brawl, bring the hurt to the enemy and help take the first hits while the rest of the team (hopefully) comes up behind you in support. And if you do not know what you're doing (twisting to spread damage, good use of intermediate cover, prioritizing targets) you can be dead within seconds.

These things can make the Atlas hard to play. The first can be mitigated by spending time on the maps in the training grounds, but most of it is experience.

Now don't get me wrong, I find the Atlas very fun to play (love both the DDC and the S) but they don't function like the single player campaign mechwarrior Atlas. Your armour won't save you long versus other human opponents. That's why we often recommend new players to start with Medium mechs to learn the game.

But hey, what do I know? I started the game without looking at advice, got myself an Awesome and completely sucked, and then moved to a Jenner (while playing Lights is considered even harder for new players) but I did well with them (once i was finally able to afford the upgrades which I had to grind for). So sometimes you just need to play what you want, you just need to be willing to put in hard effort. :)

#11 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 01:54 AM

Welcome to MWO, sorry about your sanity.

The game is pretty complex, and has a high skill ceiling. To avoid some major frustrations, start with a medium mech, read this guide, and bookmark these resources.

#12 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 24 May 2015 - 01:57 AM

Here is your best friend regardless of which mech you buy. Always check it before buying a new mech.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...echlab#modified

#13 Kyynele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 973 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 07:41 PM

I'd also recommend starting with a medium mech, level 3 variants of one to master. It's much easier to make money in a leveled up mech, and you're going to need lots of money to buy and equip 3 Atlas (you need to have 3 to level them up to elites, and until you do that you will be in a clear disadvantage to pretty much all the other players in the game.)

You'll also learn the maps a bit easier in a faster medium, which will in turn help with piloting an assault later on.

That said, I personally hate piloting assault mechs, especially the Atlas. They're just so slow and completely at the mercy of your team. If your team leaves you, and the enemy finds you, you will die a slow and humiliating death. Atlas is mainly a brawling mech, so you likely want to brawl with it. If you engage in a brawl and your team doesn't follow you, you will die a slow and humiliating death.

With lighter (faster) or generally mechs that work at longer ranges, you will have much easier time adapting to whatever your team decides to do.

Anyway, you will get to pilot the trial mechs first, so you can get some first hand experience what weight class truly works for you in MWO. Welcome, and good luck.

Edited by Kyynele, 24 May 2015 - 07:41 PM.

#14 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 12:07 AM

yea i gotta agree with the other people.. If you want to start out and learn the game, mediums really are the best way to do it.. For C-bills it is hard to beat picking up 3 HBKs, My suggestion on them, 4P (laser mech), 4SP (SRM+Medium laser), 4H for Ac-10 or 20, + medium lasers..

basically for just a tad bit more than you are going to earn with your cadet bonus, you can get all 3. and buy and STD 250 engine to swap around in um while you level them and get the upgrades of endo, and double heat sink on all 3. By the time you master all 3 you will have a much better grasp on the game as a whole

If you wanna spend some MC, the shadow hawk package is a pretty good deal, you can find threads in these forums it.

But might i suggest spending time on all the maps In the testing grounds before you start. It is on the home page, pick a trial mech and click on testing grounds, and then a map. (don't bother with the last 6 on the list, they are clan wars maps, and you are going to want to avoid that for a while)

Practice in the trials in the testing grounds. get a feel for the heat, and weapon recharge. Get to know the maps as well, and practice twisting away from an enemy, then back to locate it and fire, and twist away again. (press R to get target)

Use the lights as your first drops to really check out the maps. Alpine, and tourmline are the biggest.. Play around with the heavies and assaults on the smaller and easy to get around maps, Like frozen city, forest colony, river city and caustic.. Use a mech with jump jets to play around in canyon, and the factory map.. HPG is another one that is fun for JJ mechs or fast mechs in general.

have fun!

Edited by JC Daxion, 26 May 2015 - 12:09 AM.

#15 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 26 May 2015 - 12:32 AM

yo buddy, wc.

Atlas is slo-mo tank, but my main mech. Good choice, if you master them, you are hero of the battlefield.

#16 HimseIf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Visekorporal
  • 270 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 26 May 2015 - 12:43 AM

Upside, Can carry lots of weight and has intimidating size.
Downside, Everyone will have high expectations placed on you and use you as a shield or simply push you into danger you are not equipped for.

Edited by HimseIf, 26 May 2015 - 12:43 AM.

#17 Arn0ldSchwarzenegger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 198 posts
  • LocationHigh Wycombe, England

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:52 AM

Pretty much in these replies are right apart from one MAJOR thing

People are telling you to buy a very small engine, a Atlas' strength is not just about its firepower but its ability to 'tank' and soak damage. The larger your engine the quicker you can torso twist your mech and use your arms as shield inbetween weapon reloads thus keeping you alive a lot longer, not only that the speed will ensure you are at the front which is where an atlas needs to be. An atlas who dies first but does 0 damage is not bad. An atlas who dies at 50% health is bad. The longer you live in the push, the more time your team have to push out the damage unopposed.

the Standard 300 engine is too small, its simply not fast enough - it might look enticing with the ability to put lots of weapons on but your going to overheat fast so actually your damage per second (DPS) actually ends up lower. you want to rely on instant weapons (AC20-SRM's) as you can fire and immediately turn to tank the damage onto your arms. 330 is without doubt the bare minimum. 340-350 are recommended. anything below 330 is just foolish.

My biggest tip is if your going to use an atlas is work with the team. An atlas can give your team such an advantage in an aggressive push IF it is utilized correctly, so if you want to enjoy your atlas. Join a unit!

#18 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 02:47 AM

In my experience, STD335 is a weight/speed sweet spot for assaults when STD350 will not fit.

#19 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:57 AM

imho, 350 standard to all atlases is a MUST, wont go outside without this.

#20 Arn0ldSchwarzenegger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 198 posts
  • LocationHigh Wycombe, England

Posted 26 May 2015 - 07:05 AM

View PostTitannium, on 26 May 2015 - 05:57 AM, said:

imho, 350 standard to all atlases is a MUST, wont go outside without this.

I drop to the 330 in the AS7-S as i like having the extra tonnage for CW ammo requirements :P normal pug match though, as you said the 350 is the way ahead.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users