8 replies to this topic

#1 Valkyrie73

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 158 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 24 May 2015 - 04:42 PM

Hi all, I am a new player and this is also my first online game. I live in Sydney Australia and have an average ping of 270. What does this mean to me in game terms and should I avoid certain mechs, weapons etc or is it negligible. So far I like Assaults and brawling :)

#2 Nine-Ball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 657 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 04:51 PM

Ping is essentially the time it takes for data to get to the server and back to you.

The higher your ping the more packet loss you get; more data is lost transferring to and from the server and enemies will tend to appear jumpy.

What this means for your weapons is that you might have to "lead" your targets ever so slightly if you want to hit them clean. It also means while you may "see" you hit your enemy, the server is saying "oh no, sorry your 270ms off the mark"... lasers will take longer to register their damage and AC's may miss entirely if you don't lead a moving target appropriately.

#3 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 05:36 PM

View PostValkyrie73, on 24 May 2015 - 04:42 PM, said:

Hi all, I am a new player and this is also my first online game. I live in Sydney Australia and have an average ping of 270. What does this mean to me in game terms and should I avoid certain mechs, weapons etc or is it negligible. So far I like Assaults and brawling :)

You ballistics eg. Auto Cannon more. It work reasonably well even at high ping usually at range, what you see hits. HSR for ballistics will auto correct and register the hit.
However at super close range HSR might go wonky especially against fast mechs.

Lasers you might want to avoid laser boats until you have a stable set of ballistics boats. I would recommend the Jagermech. You can go AC20s, Gauss, AC50, UAC5s, SRMS/LRMS if you want on the Jager A.

Lasers HSR does not work well at high ping, you have to lead with lasers in order to hit moving target. That means shoot the AIR infront of the moving mechs.
However you can still laser big, slow or just bad pilots would like to stand still. Always try to aim for people who stand to get good damage with lasers.

Edited by ShinVector, 24 May 2015 - 05:38 PM.

#4 Valkyrie73

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 158 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 25 May 2015 - 03:25 AM

cheers guys

#5 AetherYamato

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 04:03 AM

Valk, I am from Darwin NT :) Aussie aussie aussie!

:D got no problem with brawling or sniping. :3 takes awhile to get used to.

#6 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 25 May 2015 - 04:38 AM

Yup, I play at 300-500 ping. Scrap the lasers or don't make them your main weapon. ACs/PPCs/Gauss/SRMs are pretty much what you are going for.

#7 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 25 May 2015 - 04:47 AM

Mine is 210, and I've also experienced 270 from time to time.

You need to lead your targets a bit more.

Standard lasers have poor hit registration, but pulse lasers seem reasonable.

IS ballistic weapons are your best friend. LRMs and Streak SRMs, while not great weapon systems, at least hit reliably. Standard SRMs are pretty good too.

I suggest you use fast Medium Mechs, as speed with your ping will make you a bit harder to hit, as long as you keep moving. That will offset to some extent the disadvantage you have of poor hitreg.

Edited by Appogee, 25 May 2015 - 04:49 AM.

#8 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:13 AM

I'd like to add that there are times when laser HSR gets fixed but it almost always gets broken again.

#9 Denali Leader

Rookie

• The Lanner
  • The Lanner
  • 5 posts
  • LocationThe Canopy of a Mad Dog Prime, watching a movie.

Posted 26 May 2015 - 11:14 AM

View PostAppogee, on 25 May 2015 - 04:47 AM, said:

Mine is 210, and I've also experienced 270 from time to time.

You need to lead your targets a bit more.

Standard lasers have poor hit registration, but pulse lasers seem reasonable.

IS ballistic weapons are your best friend. LRMs and Streak SRMs, while not great weapon systems, at least hit reliably. Standard SRMs are pretty good too.

I suggest you use fast Medium Mechs, as speed with your ping will make you a bit harder to hit, as long as you keep moving. That will offset to some extent the disadvantage you have of poor hitreg.

I agree with using the faster Mediums. I've had some high ping at times and going with a slower Heavy usually ends up with me getting that little voice chiming in with "Right Torso destroyed."

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users