239 replies to this topic

#81 EAP10

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 401 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 28 May 2015 - 01:48 PM

Guys I cracked it! It's the **** ****** cockpit! You can see it at the top of the window! Don't look if you don't want spoilers. ;)

#82 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 May 2015 - 01:53 PM

View PostEAP10, on 28 May 2015 - 01:48 PM, said:

Guys I cracked it! It's the **** ****** cockpit! You can see it at the top of the window! Don't look if you don't want spoilers. ;)

Gladiator?

#83 Twilight Fenrir

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 01:55 PM

Haha, that was adorable, and seemed to be quite uncomfortable for everyone involved :P Keep at it, you'll get used to it.

Lookin' forward to Wave III :D Lookin' good from what we've managed to see of it so far!

Also... Where can I get one of those Raven models? :D Got one for a King Crab???? :D

Edited by Twilight Fenrir, 28 May 2015 - 01:56 PM.

#84 Agent 0 Fortune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 01:56 PM

I am not sure what was more off-putting, the uncomfortable interactions and forced dialog in the interview/vlog, or the creeper posts in this thread.

I think it was the thread, Tina will probably get better at public speaking, but the posters are likely to get worse.

Edited by Agent 0 Fortune, 28 May 2015 - 01:57 PM.

#85 IceHawk00

• PipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 30 posts
  • LocationEllwood City, PA

Posted 28 May 2015 - 01:57 PM

View Postxengk, on 28 May 2015 - 10:54 AM, said:

ALL MY WANT
Posted Image

YES! DEAR GOD Y-E-S!

#86 Tiamat of the Sea

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:16 PM

Well.

Tina is totes adorbs, yes, but looks very nervous to be doing this (shy maybe? 'Saright, many people are.) Buck up, Tina, you're doing fine. Quietly, but quite alright. Don't worry about knowing everything right off the bat, there's a lot of stuff to figure out and learn about the setting, the previous games, the core game (Battletech), and this game.

Glad to see that even if you're not totally comfortable with the doing a Dev Vlog thing, Lisa, Alex, you're both willing to try and put in a good effort too.

All three of you- go ahead and relax a little more. Having people watch you, even by proxy, is nerve wracking until and unless you can manage to pay less attention to the fact that people will watch what you do and more to what it is you're doing for the people to watch. A bit of a fuzzy difference, but an important one all the same.

It's good to see more faces from PGI in a Dev Vlog, and I really appreciate the attempt to make it more conversational and less interrogational. You all keep at it, you'll adjust in time if you keep trying.

Do appreciate the info, and nice to hear some of the background thought going into things like the cockpits. I'm hoping that in the future we can get a little more info along those lines, even if it's just as asides, rather than entire questions or major topics of vlogs.

So does that Mechwarrior Fighter cabinet actually have a game in it? Either way, it's a cool idea.

Wouldn't mind seeing other bits of the office in Dev Vlogs either.

Here's hoping for more communication in the future as well.

-QKD-CR0

#87 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:20 PM

View PostIceHawk00, on 28 May 2015 - 01:57 PM, said:

YES! DEAR GOD Y-E-S!

I realize that PGI lacks the licensing for physical merchandise, so that can't happen commercially, but 3D prints of mechs like that? I'd absolutely buy them. I'd be throwing credit cards at my screen like they where on fire. Well, that didn't make any sense, but yeah... I do want. From that first Atlas model on, I'd have to collect them all, don't care what they cost.

View Posto0Marduk0o, on 28 May 2015 - 12:32 PM, said:

Because all of them are interpretations. There is no law how the mech has to look exactly. Furthermore the artwork above is just fugly. Looks like an entire different mech compared to other variants.

Yeah... Even if one likes that sort of look (his posted artwork) the anime-esque look is really just not suitable for MWO at all. That would have been entirely out of place here.

#88 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:22 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 28 May 2015 - 10:23 AM, said:

Hello Mechwarriors,

After a long hiatus, we have returned to creating Dev Vlogs!

We have a new format that is hosted by our Community Manager, Tina Benoit. We've added a little more casual chat and personality!

Our interviewees in this episode are Lisa Sapinsky, 3D Artist responsible for modeling cockpits and Alex Iglesias, 'Mech concept artist extraordinaire!

Enjoy and let us know what you think of our new Dev Vlog format!

Posted Image

#89 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:27 PM

Do we get a female pilot?

if you get the bushwacker I want Cougar XD

I challenge you to a trial of possesnion Alex I bid my nova prime! :P

Edited by KursedVixen, 28 May 2015 - 02:29 PM.

#90 Bombadil

No Guts No Galaxy

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:28 PM

Yay for Tina, Lisa and Alex being brave and being the first back in front of the camera for the revitalization of the Dev Vlogs! It's a lot harder to do, and to seem comfortable doing it, than people think. Especially when you're a developer and not an entertainer by trade.

This is just the beginning (well a 2nd beginning of sorts), and each Vlog will get better as we go and get more experience with the new casual and conversational format, which I agree is much better.

And yes, we will be having other devs, other departments, and more sneak peeks & reveals in the Vlogs as we progress as well. Remember though, these are for getting to know the devs and the people behind the game, and getting a look behind-the-scenes at PGI, and are not meant to take the place of the Weekend Updates or Town Hall meetings, where some sneak peeks & reveals are more appropriate.

Currently our goal is to do two Dev Vlogs a month, so we're already working on the next one!

#91 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:29 PM

And, yeah... Dat Urbanmech cockpit. It's awesome.

#92 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:35 PM

View PostBashfulsalamander, on 28 May 2015 - 11:49 AM, said:

SO how does this
Posted Image
turn into this?
Posted Image

btw i know they are not same varients above, but imagine the bottom as a 0X

To be fair, it was this:
Posted Image
Or God forbid, this:
Posted Image
And became this:
Posted Image

EDIT: but yes, it would be terrific if the 0X (I refuse to call it 0XP) had ballistic hardpoint in the shoulder...

Edited by Odanan, 28 May 2015 - 03:59 PM.

#93 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:36 PM

What is that spining thing in the right side of the maddog cockpit?

#94 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:37 PM

View PostBombadil, on 28 May 2015 - 02:28 PM, said:

Yay for Tina, Lisa and Alex being brave and being the first back in front of the camera for the revitalization of the Dev Vlogs! It's a lot harder to do, and to seem comfortable doing it, than people think. Especially when you're a developer and not an entertainer by trade.

This is just the beginning (well a 2nd beginning of sorts), and each Vlog will get better as we go and get more experience with the new casual and conversational format, which I agree is much better.

And yes, we will be having other devs, other departments, and more sneak peeks & reveals in the Vlogs as we progress as well. Remember though, these are for getting to know the devs and the people behind the game, and getting a look behind-the-scenes at PGI, and are not meant to take the place of the Weekend Updates or Town Hall meetings, where some sneak peeks & reveals are more appropriate.

Currently our goal is to do two Dev Vlogs a month, so we're already working on the next one!

2 a month would be fantastic. I was thinking that PGI could also do like 3 minute clips once a week, either for one specific staff member a week, or maybe even each staffer releases one every week. They don't need to be anything complicated. Could be as simple as seeing Lisa do 3 minutes of cockpit work. Russ staring at screens for 3 minutes ... Or alex trying to do some mech art. 3 minutes, nothing longer. Once a week, either one staffer at a time, or each doing their own 3 minute clip. Doesn't need to be sneak-peak oriented, could be something like "this is what I'm working on this Tuesday."

View PostKursedVixen, on 28 May 2015 - 02:36 PM, said:

What is that spining thing in the right side of the maddog cockpit?

I think it's a MDD, but I'm not sure.

#95 BladeXXL

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:40 PM

Nice to see another Dev Vlog. :-)

btw.:
PLEASE DETACH THE COCKPIT MODELS FROM THE MECH MODELS!!!

This fine cockpit details look awsome, but costs to much performance when there are 24 loaded, transformed (3D direction transformation), textured and lightened, but only ONE is visible to the player!

#96 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:40 PM

Is this a Virtua Figher arcade machine in the background?

#97 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:43 PM

View PostBladeXXL, on 28 May 2015 - 02:40 PM, said:

Nice to see another Dev Vlog. :-)

btw.:
PLEASE DETACH THE COCKPIT MODELS FROM THE MECH MODELS!!!

This fine cockpit details look awsome, but costs to much performance when there are 24 loaded, transformed (3D direction transformation), textured and lightened, but only ONE is visible to the player!

Are you sure they are all rendered? The detailed cockpit is separate from the outside of the mech in the game files.

I haven't actually checked if they are rendered or not. Would indeed be silly if they are.

#98 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:46 PM

View PostBombadil, on 28 May 2015 - 02:28 PM, said:

Thanks for the Vlog!

For the next one, I'd very much like to see one of the 3D modelers because I'd like to know what difficulties arise from translating Alex' works into in-game 3D models (as we know they sometimes don't look exactly the same, e.g. the Enforcer). Although this has been touched before, I'd also like to see you guys talk about how PGI scale the 'mechs in different tonnage categories relative to each other.

#99 Cranky Puppy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 114 posts
  • LocationHarem of French Poodles

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:49 PM

When anyone calls a mech "CUTE" they need to think about the purpose of the machine, it is a walking shooting death machine.
Mechs don't want to be "CUTE" they want to bring destruction and fear to the enemies.

Just like when you are piloting a medium 50 ton mech...you turn the corner and see THREE 100 TON DIREWOLVES. The thought of OHH CUTE DIREWOLF does not come to mind...especially when 3 of them are about to rip you apart with gauss and auto-cannon. What runs through people's minds when faced with 300 tons of chaos is....kiss my butt goodbye this match.....or RUN and RUN FAST!!!

"Everyone USES the TIMBERWOLF".........nope....not anymore and its use has been decrease, after its been downgraded. Don't like seeing negative quirks in any mechs especially when you purchase WAVE 1 with real money. It was a huge blow to the Timberwolf and also the Stormcrow. Feels like someone ripped out the teeth to my Timberwolf. Now it attacks other mechs with its gums. GRRRRRR

Everyone is raving about Tina, I agree she is a good looking gal and possibly gets hit on all the time there. I would most likely hang out with LISA though, she has a creative side to her and creative people are always fun to be around...they also have hot friends too.

#100 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:51 PM

View PostMarineTech, on 28 May 2015 - 01:20 PM, said:

Lisa was the designer for the Urbie cockpit?

Lisa WINS the interwebs.

I'll second that emotion! Oh so happy with my Urbanmechs.

And I am happy that some of the designers aren't old school Battletech gamers - we can too easily be cemented in our old sentimental, stodgy ways that could actually make the game suck! (Small lasers that gave a range of more than 90m?!? Blasphemous!!!). I'll admit it, I complained about a big engine cap on my beloved Urbies, but against my better judgement I find they are pretty dang fun scooting around stuffed with laser beams!

I'm just glad to see that we have females heavily involved in the design process. Tina, when you described the Madcat as "cute", that kind of input is genuinely important - good aesthetics can help people accept foreign ideas easier, and anything you can do to get the ladies interested in giant stompy robots is better for us all.

As for the mediocre interview skill, not a big deal. Y'all did fine! Crank some more of these out weekly, and you'll get more comfortable, and things will go more naturally.

As for some mechs that could use your "cute-ification", I think the "soccer ball with a jet pack" Hornet is a good candidate, and I still really need a Javelin, think like a Commando but with a barrel chest; more Dwarf than Halfling if you are into that genre.

Edited by stealthraccoon, 28 May 2015 - 03:14 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users