Mwo: The Least Competent Player Base

114 replies to this topic

#101 Tyler Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona

Posted 31 May 2015 - 11:21 AM

This game is a huge resource hog (nice engine PGI) and has terrible ping (nice servers PGI). Most of the discrepancy between players is due to the fact that people have computers more than seven minutes old and don't live in areas where 1gbs fiber is an option...
I moved a few months ago and realized what was really going on. I used to have fiber and I would routinely rack up match scores over 800 points, sometimes as high as 1200. I waited 10 minutes to get in game because my ELO was so high. Then I moved...
I still play the game just as much, my skill level hasn't changed, BUT, now i have DSL. My average match score is probably 300. So much depends on the hit detection in this game and if your ping is above 75, ***NEWS FLASH***, your hit detection sucks.
It seems like the people playing this game are terrible sometimes but the fact of the matter is, if you don't live in an urban area and you don't have a relatively new computer, you can be the best player in the world but the game simply will not register the fact that you are hitting other 'mechs.
Still love the game, still play every night, but F***... sometimes i wish they would do something, anything, to make this game a little more efficient.

#102 MandyB

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 11:24 AM

Everyone starts at the bottom, I used to not even break 100 on an atlas, now I can break 800 on a panther. It just takes time for people to get better.

#103 omessiaho

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 11:28 AM

I wonder if its people using un mastered or un familiar mechs. I picked up a few timberwolfs on sale and am abysmal in them. Like I'm happy to get 300 damage in them. I thought that maybe I was just **** so I hopped in my beloved locust and got six kills with just under 1000 damage. The fact is until you get your mechs leveled up they aren't very good.

That said I have seen people walk into red smoke, ignore the enemy team creeping up on their flank, ignore their teammate 10 feet away getting hammered, group up in the open with no cover and run in front of people's shots way too many times. Maybe it is a mixture.

#104 Stelar 7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 315 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 04:14 PM

1/10 Good clickbait title but content fails to deliver.

#105 omessiaho

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 04:35 PM

OK, so my last game I told my team the enemy was moving on our left and are in the caldera in caustic. Nobody even looked over yet alone repositioned. They just stood there, I guess hoping that the enemy would just walk back into the brilliant "firing line" they had created. What started off as 2-0 ended 4-12. This cleared things up for me, I'm gonna go with bad players.

Edited by omessiaho, 31 May 2015 - 04:36 PM.

#106 LordBraxton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 04:58 PM

View PostAbaddonis, on 30 May 2015 - 06:54 PM, said:

Alek, you know exactly what the problem is...unless you're just trolling for an argument or are blissfully naive. The player base is not good at the game.

A player base that largely will not use consumables.

LRM boaters who don't bring TAG or put up UAV's.

Forest Colony arch campers. Ok, this is more to blame on terrible map design, but still, don't camp the ******* arch.

Terra Therma caldera stall team. Yeah, you know who you are.

OP, you come across as an arrogant *****, no offense. Well.. Maybe some offense.

Most people are bad at most things.It took me my first few jobs to realize that the professional world is full of wankers who really don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. You start to wonder how society works at all. (oh wait it barely does...)

True maturity is recognizing how often YOU are the ****** who doesnt know wtf is going on.

I got extra upset because... wait for it...

I never use consumables.

I think theyre an awful\unbalanced idea, and I wish PGI would remove them. So I refuse to use them to stay 'competitive.' Don;t need em anyway.

Arrogant, narrow-minded jerks like the OP are the real issue with MWO's playerbase.

Edited by LordBraxton, 31 May 2015 - 05:03 PM.

#107 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:00 PM

Lower your sensitivity.

gg

#108 Templar Dane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:12 PM

Posted Image

#109 GeistHrafn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 450 posts
  • LocationMB, Canada

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:20 PM

View Post00ohDstruct, on 30 May 2015 - 07:32 PM, said:

Not all pug players are bad...

But many professional blame layers in...

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻┻PUG LYFE━┻ ︵ ╯(°□° ╯)
Life of the Terri-pug.

Live. Die. Repeat.
Live. Die. Repeat.
Live. Die. Whine in chat about how the team should have carried them harder. Repeat.
Live. Die. Repeat.
Live. Die. Angry 5 minute rant about how LRM's are noskill n00btube weapons because they died to them. Repeat.
Live. Die. Angry 5 minute rant about how Laser Vomit are noskill weapons because they died to them. Repeat.
Live. Die. Repeat.
Live. Die. Angry 5 minute rant about how their Laser Vomit build overheats getting them killed. Repeat.
Live. Die. Repeat.
Live. Die. Repeat.
Live. Die. Angry 5 minute rant about how Clan mechs are OP'd after dying in an IS mech. Repeat.
Live. Die. Angry 5 minute rant about how IS quirks are too strong after dying in a Clan mech. Repeat.
Live. Win. Angry quips about how the lowest scorer was worthless and should uninstall. Repeat.

This. Is. So. Accurate. Made me lulz

#110 RussianWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 31 May 2015 - 06:26 PM

View PostAbaddonis, on 30 May 2015 - 06:46 PM, said:

The random deaths like this are to be expected. 3-6 players consistently unable to do anything significant is more than random bad luck. I'm sure you understand that. Maybe.

If you aren't seeing the SAME 3-6 players each match, then how do you know that they are "consistently bad"?

Edited by RussianWolf, 31 May 2015 - 06:27 PM.

#111 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 07:52 PM

View PostTyler Valentine, on 31 May 2015 - 11:21 AM, said:

and don't live in areas where 1gbs fiber is an option...

ping mostly depends on your geographical distance from the server, the quality of your line (if it doesn't drop packages) and its width don't matter much

#112 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:48 PM

View PostElizander, on 30 May 2015 - 08:18 PM, said:

Oh man, I am so taking out my pimped out mastered Direwhale when Steam releases and pad my KDR. I just hope they sorta fix laser HSR by then or I'll need a different build.

Im gonna pad my KDR with a Locust, hunt those newbs who think Assaults can tank.

The pain will be real.

#113 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 01:31 AM

For those who have seen the movie 300 about the spartans and Leonidas. The spartans were able to resist the persians superior numbers due to the persians being forced to advance through a narrow chokepoint. Being forced to advance through a narrow chokepoint can result in a significant tactical disadvantage.

Chokepoint warz on the caldera of terra therma help illustrate this.

One thing that can be fustrating (and extremely hilarious from a masochistic perspective) is the determination many show to immediately head for the chokepoint on alpine. Its like the persians in the movie 300 being able to fight the spartans on a wide open field where they can use their numbers to their advantage, and instead heading for thermopylae (the hot gates) and deciding to screw themselves repeatedly trying to get through a narrow chokepoint.

That basic lack of strategy and tactics extends to many aspects of the game and used to annoy me.

Now I just laugh at how screwed we would all be if a zombie apocalypse ever went down.

#114 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 29 July 2015 - 02:27 PM

View PostAbaddonis, on 30 May 2015 - 06:46 PM, said:

3 teammates dying within 2 minutes of the match starting...not disconnects....not the slow assaults left to die...just 3 players dying by being terrible.

Stomp the enemy team 12-3....enemy team has 5 players that can't crack 200 damage....3 of them can't crack 100.

The Steam release is going to exacerbate this even further.

The random deaths like this are to be expected. 3-6 players consistently unable to do anything significant is more than random bad luck. I'm sure you understand that. Maybe.

well with team release, and many many many players, elo may find more people of the same rankings to match up, which could help to improve matchmaking.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users