Choosing a Merc' unit.

22 replies to this topic

#1 Brenden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:36 PM

Hello guys, I was wondering could someone help me in deciding which Mercenary unit to join? So many choicies, so many options! I do not know which one to choose, any help?

#2 Strayed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:46 PM

I know this probably ain't answer your'e looking for but if you post here in the Hiring Hall thread you may get a lot of offers from like minded corps.Surprised there ain't a merc unit master thread or something.

Hope this helps.

#3 Mikhal Rain Longcut

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Locationidaho

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:23 PM

Greating and Salutaions Brenden,

My handle is Rain from ARMEGEDDON UNLIMITED, Colonel Kay Wolf Commander. Contact the colonel about joining!!

Listen go for the merc hall then they will ask you to join, doesn't matter your skill set they want to pick up everyone to bolster there lets say " cannon fodder" if you know what that means it's not the best. But I went onto the Merc Net which I believe is a great idea and the colonel found me and we talked for about a day after that I was hooked talk to the Colonel Kay Wolf the view that this group will have is going to be rather cool plus the web site the Colonel is putting together.

Any Questions talk to the Colonel or myself if not hope to see you out there.
Good Hunting

#4 AlfalphaCat

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:31 PM

Don't pick one.

The game is not made, the Merc units listed are not really active in any regard to MWO. They are all just staking their claims on names.

Just wait 'til we all know how this is going to work. From what I can tell most units think this works just like MW4 and previous MW titles, but it may be quite different than they expect.

#5 Mikhal Rain Longcut

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Locationidaho

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:29 PM

Brenden,

AlfalphaCat is correct.

But if you want look into
mailto:the_wolf@wolvesau.net?Subject=Interest in AU

#6 John Clavell

• 1,609 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:16 AM

View PostAlfalphaCat, on 29 November 2011 - 06:31 PM, said:

Don't pick one.

The game is not made, the Merc units listed are not really active in any regard to MWO. They are all just staking their claims on names.

Just wait 'til we all know how this is going to work. From what I can tell most units think this works just like MW4 and previous MW titles, but it may be quite different than they expect.

This basically. Though some of the groups play other games, or are groups from MWLL, MW4 or older Mechwarrior titles coming back together. Ultimately your better off to wait, unless you have friends in a certain corp or you find yourself attracted to one corp and don't mind waiting for 7-8 months.

Edited by John Clavell, 30 November 2011 - 12:17 AM.

#7 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:01 AM

It's more than just staking claims to names, we're also setting up our faction allegiances and coordination with other units, and trying to build a core playerbase of people with similar interests.

A lot of people aren't going to know what faction they want to fight for at this time. Others have specific favorites and obsessions. ;)

#8 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:29 AM

View PostStrayed, on 29 November 2011 - 05:46 PM, said:

I know this probably ain't answer your'e looking for but if you post here in the Hiring Hall thread you may get a lot of offers from like minded corps.Surprised there ain't a merc unit master thread or something.

Hope this helps.
This is your best bet. Yes, AC is correct that the game is not developed far enough along, yet, to really begin setting down our units, as though they're already in the game. For all we know, MWO MAY get set back a little bit because of the sheer amount of stuff they're trying to do with the game, and they've not yet outlined how the Merc Corps HQ will actually work, yet, just how they want it to work. However, AC is wrong in the fact that, for AUs part, we're looking to start and cultivate friendships among our people, prior to getting busy, so when we do get busy, though the friendships might be strained, they will continue to exist instead of someone getting torqued off for a minor mistake someone else makes. I would rather my people see blatant mistakes as just that, mistakes, and not intentional digs, unless it's meant to be a dig. Also, it's best to assemble one's forces and then adjust fire as the situation changes, with a little scramble at the end, not wait until the last minute, as AC would suggest, and then have to scramble huge to get everything lined out.

Please feel free to head over to Strayed's Merc Hiring thread if you've not, already, fill out the few lines there and post it, so it will be fair for all merc units to have the opportunity to pick you up? I know that's how I gauge whom I wish to pick up and not, and it's usually based on your unit type, whether you're a team player or a wild child, and the gaming experience you have. Zero gaming experience, for example, is more acceptable to me than someone who's only experiences are MechAssault and Dark Age.

Have a great day, all.

#9 John Clavell

• 1,609 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:47 AM

View PostDihm, on 30 November 2011 - 06:01 AM, said:

It's more than just staking claims to names, we're also setting up our faction allegiances and coordination with other units, and trying to build a core playerbase of people with similar interests.

A lot of people aren't going to know what faction they want to fight for at this time. Others have specific favorites and obsessions. ;)

I agree. A lot of the info we need to really get down to business however is still a long way off. So everything happening right now is just touchy-feely stuff :o

#10 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:57 AM

Some people like being touchy-feel'd ;)

#11 Firefly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 757 posts
  • LocationAtlanta GA

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:29 AM

Don't pick one.

We can pretty much bank on there being 'Mech-on'Mech combat and merc units/guilds. Whether this be simply wearing a tag or having a meta-game merc unit (guild) set up on some MWO website database like the Battlefield 3 platoons, or actual in-game units, there will be units. So, knowing these two things, we can at least get a framework going.

And since there will undoubtedly be combat, whether PvE or PvP, this means that at least one merc unit (mine) runs regular practices in either MWLL or MW4 Mercs.

Have a nice day.
--ff/bwc

#12 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:07 AM

View PostJohn Clavell, on 30 November 2011 - 07:47 AM, said:

I agree. A lot of the info we need to really get down to business however is still a long way off. So everything happening right now is just touchy-feely stuff ;)
Precisely.

View PostFirefly, on 30 November 2011 - 08:29 AM, said:

We can pretty much bank on there being 'Mech-on'Mech combat and merc units/guilds. Whether this be simply wearing a tag or having a meta-game merc unit (guild) set up on some MWO website database like the Battlefield 3 platoons, or actual in-game units, there will be units. So, knowing these two things, we can at least get a framework going.

And since there will undoubtedly be combat, whether PvE or PvP, this means that at least one merc unit (mine) runs regular practices in either MWLL or MW4 Mercs.

Have a nice day.
--ff/bwc
I couldn't, and didn't, have said it better myself, hehe. We need to get practices running, as well, start getting down tactics and general strategies, though with Mercs-4 that latter part will be impossible, not enough room on any of the maps.

#13 Dlardrageth

• 1,198 posts
  • LocationF.R.G.

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:18 PM

View PostDihm, on 30 November 2011 - 06:01 AM, said:

[...]
Others have specific favorites and obsessions. ;)

View PostDihm, on 30 November 2011 - 07:57 AM, said:

Some people like being touchy-feel'd ^_^

Damn, after reading the first post I was starting to think black leather plus whips&chains... ^_^

#14 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:02 AM

Someone needs to do a mech repaint of that.

#15 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:22 AM

Hmm...Thank you all for these reviews, I really enjoyed them. To be honest, I haven't touched a Battletech Mechwarrior Simulator since they ended Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries online. Man, those were the days... Then I picked up Mechassault 2...It wasn't bad, but it could have been better. Well, I think I might go over to the hiring hall and take a look at what they have to offer. IF they have them, I'm going to get my old Shadow Hawk out of retirement - about time that thing took back to the dirt, all it's doing is serving as my house right now..

(BE WARNED: I like to roleplay, as such my character is called Brenden W. HENCE the last part of the paragraph.)

#16 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:54 AM

Totally got that, and it brought a smile to my face.

#17 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:08 AM

View PostKay Wolf, on 01 December 2011 - 08:54 AM, said:

Totally got that, and it brought a smile to my face.

Ah, thank you. I appreiciate the gesture. So I see you have just recently joined a group eh? Tell me, what is it most people look for in a Mercenary group? The money, the renown, the women (Old merc group, now disbanded had six women, two in Archers, two in TImber wolfs and two in Locust)

#18 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:30 AM

The yes, actually. All of them, and more. Most mercs are greedy, but they love the opposite ***, also, and the renown doesn't hurt, though it doesn't seem to make the circles it used to. Mostly, though, it's the feeling of being alive. Admit it, you're facing down a Hunchback with an AC/20 in your face, you don't know if he's loaded or empty, since you're grappling, but you also know that's a super-close range weapon, and it tears crap up, so despite the fact you're grappling with this crazy pilot, you already need a change of underwear, and your adrenaline is not going to wear off for the next year. So, you win the fight, put down the Hunchie, and you go get steak, brew, and 'tang until you're sick, and then sleep like you've never slept before knowing the next day holds a brand new adventure you're going to survive. I love this job.

(OOC: I just sent you an invite to AU, if you're interested. Always like to have some role-playing in my BattleTech.)

#19 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:36 AM

Don't pick one.

Agreed! QFE!

Wait until the game is released and we get a sense of how unit formations and things work. Merc COs and their Web Designers will be able to tailor their "brand" so that it represents their in-game structures, goals and achievements etc. Right now it's all just background and stories in the minds of the creators and members.

I would recommend that you tool around the forums though and get an idea for people whose thoughts and opinions you agree with because they are the people whose ideology you might best be compatible with. Other than that I would hold off until the game goes live like the Quote Author stated.

Cheers

#20 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:07 AM

View PostKay Wolf, on 01 December 2011 - 09:30 AM, said:

The yes, actually. All of them, and more. Most mercs are greedy, but they love the opposite ***, also, and the renown doesn't hurt, though it doesn't seem to make the circles it used to. Mostly, though, it's the feeling of being alive. Admit it, you're facing down a Hunchback with an AC/20 in your face, you don't know if he's loaded or empty, since you're grappling, but you also know that's a super-close range weapon, and it tears crap up, so despite the fact you're grappling with this crazy pilot, you already need a change of underwear, and your adrenaline is not going to wear off for the next year. So, you win the fight, put down the Hunchie, and you go get steak, brew, and 'tang until you're sick, and then sleep like you've never slept before knowing the next day holds a brand new adventure you're going to survive. I love this job.

(OOC: I just sent you an invite to AU, if you're interested. Always like to have some role-playing in my BattleTech.)

Ah ha but what is a Hunchback against a Shadow Hawk? Not just any, MY own Shadow Hawk: One Ultra AC 5 instead of the regular AC5, two Streak-SRM4s (no LRM5 or SRM6, removed them for those SRM4s.) two Medium Lasers in the left arm and a Large Pulse Laser in the right. Added armor, jumpjets, the moment that hunchback FIRES I would have already jumped high into the air, activate my jets and then rain hell fire as the red glare of Lasers and Rockets come flying at him!

(Also note: I am in school right now using a laptop, once I get home around four I will take a look at it. Not to bad though.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users