I Haven't Even Seen The New Ui Yet, So -

22 replies to this topic

#1 Soy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 06 June 2015 - 08:09 AM

- why don't you, the reader of this amazing thread, post a one sentence reason in your most succinct, constructive, and critical manner of why you like or dislike the new UI.

I, not even having seen UI yet, will use my lordly wisdom to gleam dank nuggets of objectivity, hopefully both positive and negative, upon logging in and studying it later.

Then I will report back in this thread with results of who posted relevent stuff and who's dumb, etc.

gg

#2 Sir Wulfrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 872 posts
  • LocationIn a warship, over your planet :-)

Posted 06 June 2015 - 08:23 AM

I like it because the amount of information presented is higher, it's flatter (fewer layers) than the old design, it's more logical and most of all it's FAR more organised than the old version, i.e. mechs arranged by weight class and by origin (IS or Clan).

For those with huge numbers of mechs it's far in advance of the old version. Had I only a few mechs I'd still prefer it due to the way in which information is presented. Information which, as a veteran mech user, I need and want to see as I make changes to a build.

I'd concede that It may be more confusing to new players due to the amount of information immediately to hand.

OK this has been 4 sentences but necessary to illustrate my points.

#3 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 09:51 AM

Ok, noted.

#4 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 09:55 AM

"PGI once again added some useful things, intentionally removed some useful things, and forgot to keep useful things you didn't realize were useful until they were gone."

Story of the MWO UI history. Best example is that you can no longer double click modules to add them to your mech, you MUST drag them into their slot now.

Edited by Fate 6, 06 June 2015 - 09:56 AM.

#5 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:02 AM

They've removed a handful of very handy and time saving features, completely screwing over sub 1600*900 plebs.

• Removed the Equip button (without implementing Double Click to equip)
  • Removed Mech Overview screen; impossible to see your entire mech without Expanded
  • Removed Auto Opening menus (remove an Omnipod, the menu used to open, now you need to open the 3 required tabs, likewise for ammo and weapons)

All were very handy. None exist anymore.

You can filter ammo now.

#6 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,980 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:06 AM

Prepare to be horrified, and pleasantly surprised at the same time.

The new mechlab UI is nothing short of outstanding, the new features and functionality of it are far beyond what we once had, there are still some missing pieces and tweaks need to be done, but overall A+.

What you will find, is that while mechlab is good now, the mech selection screen has not been given the same attention, its pretty horrible, everything is layed out in drop boxes ushering in the CLICKPOCALYPSE again.

Quirks and simple information that makes selecting what mech you want to use, a little difficult, because you have to dig elsewhere in the UI just to find that information now.

Edited by Mister D, 06 June 2015 - 10:09 AM.

#7 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:07 AM

It's ok. 10/10 - IGN

#8 AntiCitizenJuan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:10 AM

You can strip out cockpit items but not Modules

#9 XtremWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 551 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 06 June 2015 - 11:38 AM

Pros: great Smurfy style mechlab if your not below 1600*900. Easier Modules finding.
Cons: If you play under the 1600*900 threshold, no expended view anymore. If you liked to one-click-pick some random Mechs in your list just to take a look at them and make them spin (ok, maybe i'm weird) now you'll have to select your mech on a list then go to the Camo part and only then can you take a look at them (and make them spin like crazy! ok, i'm realy weird).

Edited by XtremWarrior, 06 June 2015 - 11:42 AM.

#10 Haakon Magnusson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 636 posts
  • LocationI have no idea, they keep resetting CW map

Posted 06 June 2015 - 12:24 PM

Mechlab itself is miles forward, mech selection for battle step back.

#11 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 06 June 2015 - 12:43 PM

One constructive, critical reason expressed in a single sentence? Hmm, let's see.

The new UI is like this girl that you've been going out with for a while who talks too much about herself and doesn't really get you at all or listen too much to what you have to say, so she just makes you listen to her make all these 'bleep' and 'bloop' noises and then you have to say "uh-huh" like a million times for her to get to the point, which isn't really that interesting to begin with, because she's not really that deep, you know, and even though you've talked to her about it, it doesn't really feel like she's working on the relationship, but then she finally promises that big changes are coming and things are going well for a while, even though you sometimes think if you should get back with your ex-girlfriend (not your previous one, but the first one) because she was a lot prettier and she had some good sides that you miss in your new girlfriend, but so then your current girlfriend is suddenly busy all the time and you wonder what's up with that, and now it's suddenly a big chore to really plan anything and you're constantly shuffling through the calendar together to find time with each other and even though it's a lot easier to talk to her these days, the relationship still isn't working very well and maybe it's because she's secretly looking for the next thing and not really willing to try too hard to make things right in case it doesn't work out anyway, which is just typical and maybe it's because her parents split up when she was a kid and she never really trusts anyone and she just expects all her relationships to end at some point anyway, so she's just trying to be nice to make sure you guys at least have a good break-up, which is fine by you, because it's not like it was true love anyway, but you still had some good times and it's almost been three years now, but you still feel like this relationship could work out if she just listened more and was willing to experiment more in bed.

How did I do?

#12 Sir Wulfrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 872 posts
  • LocationIn a warship, over your planet :-)

Posted 06 June 2015 - 12:45 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 06 June 2015 - 12:43 PM, said:

One constructive, critical reason expressed in a single sentence? Hmm, let's see.

The new UI is like this girl that you've been going out with for a while who talks too much about herself and doesn't really get you at all or listen too much to what you have to say, so she just makes you listen to her make all these 'bleep' and 'bloop' noises and then you have to say "uh-huh" like a million times for her to get to the point, which isn't really that interesting to begin with, because she's not really that deep, you know, and even though you've talked to her about it, it doesn't really feel like she's working on the relationship, but then she finally promises that big changes are coming and things are going well for a while, even though you sometimes think if you should get back with your ex-girlfriend (not your previous one, but the first one) because she was a lot prettier and she had some good sides that you miss in your new girlfriend, but so then your current girlfriend is suddenly busy all the time and you wonder what's up with that, and now it's suddenly a big chore to really plan anything and you're constantly shuffling through the calendar together to find time with each other and even though it's a lot easier to talk to her these days, the relationship still isn't working very well and maybe it's because she's secretly looking for the next thing and not really willing to try too hard to make things right in case it doesn't work out anyway, which is just typical and maybe it's because her parents split up when she was a kid and she never really trusts anyone and she just expects all her relationships to end at some point anyway, so she's just trying to be nice to make sure you guys at least have a good break-up, which is fine by you, because it's not like it was true love anyway, but you still had some good times and it's almost been three years now, but you still feel like this relationship could work out if she just listened more and was willing to experiment more in bed.

How did I do?

At the risk of adding to forum bloat... That was one damned funny post! :lol: :D

#13 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 06:04 PM

K I logged in.

It's dumb as ****.

I mean, no new player is gonna wanna look at spreadsheets. Superfail.

Sad part is I don't even give a ****. I'm just callin it how I see it. And I see it as a convoluted spreadsheet from hell.

I recorded my initial reaction but honestly this is so ******* stupid I cba.

#14 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 06 June 2015 - 06:07 PM

View PostSoy, on 06 June 2015 - 06:04 PM, said:

K I logged in.

It's dumb as ****.

I mean, no new player is gonna wanna look at spreadsheets. Superfail.

Sad part is I don't even give a ****. I'm just callin it how I see it. And I see it as a convoluted spreadsheet from hell.

I recorded my initial reaction but honestly this is so ******* stupid I cba.

Now, be sure to use the Expanded view and not Column. Click that Layout dropdown menu.

I hear it's better. Column view lacks features the last mechlab had.

#15 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 09:16 PM

Ofc go expanded, that's a no brainer, did it within 10 secs of seeing the UI.

I stand by my initial reaction. Too much spreadsheet, too little mech lovage.

Seems like it was a waste of PGI's time.

I didn't even bother dropping a round, I was like '**** it it i'm out'.

#16 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 June 2015 - 09:24 PM

View PostSoy, on 06 June 2015 - 09:16 PM, said:

I didn't even bother dropping a round, I was like '**** it it i'm out'.

Ditto. I haven't dropped a single match since the patch last Tuesday, and before that I was playing 6+ hours a day.

The new changes just ... completely killed any desire for me to play the game. Kinda lost faith in PGI.
  • It doesn't scale/hard to read
  • Mech Select is convoluted
  • Can't see all my pretty mechs at once or select them easily
  • Ugly solid colours - no textures applied - smells strongly of "BETA-WIP"
  • Not very intuitive in some places
  • Some changes applied where changes weren't necessary
  • Really disappointing tooltips
  • Assorted buggy or annoying behaviours that weren't thought-through
Been planning on just staying away from it as much as possible until I can be buggered to do a proper write-up and what I think should be done to improve it. A lot of it has to do with new player experience and making things "At-First-Glance Intuitive". Yes, A.F.G.I. Just made it up right now.

Edited by Tarogato, 06 June 2015 - 09:25 PM.

#17 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 09:45 PM

I'm not like that, but I just don't have the desire right now to relearn a ******* UI of all things.

Sorry, just, more enjoyable things I could spend my gaming time on at the moment.

Maybe later this week I'll bother figuring it out, right now my care levels are reading zero for that ****.

#18 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 06 June 2015 - 11:01 PM

WARNING: There are no Confirm prompts when you buy something now. Always check the CBill charge before you click Save.

#19 bryantjudoman

• PipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 11:23 PM

the only thing i don't like is that I can't see my entire roster of mechs to do more random picks. I used to just close my eyes and throw a sticky dart at my screen to decide what machine to run. Now I can't do that :(

#20 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 12:29 AM

I dont like PGI's list.....the Mech's hardpoints need to be in a Smurfy style Table....its much less confusing to move about the mech parts when its not in a list. Put hte mech behind the table, then put the table over the mech. Place the lists of weapons we have now off to one side. THat would be cool. But putting all the hardpoints in a list...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users