Gameplay

28 replies to this topic

#1 Gaussfather

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 310 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:11 PM

Please please please bring us a The Solaris Games Arena mode... MWO needs a 1 on 1 or 4 vs 4 mode that is gladiator style mech destroying duels! Give us 4 weight classes, small arena style maps like MW4 had, and online leaderboards that are always updating for the 4 weight classes!! Maybe have a pro and newbie circuit...

Allow people to challenge each other for climbing the leader boards... let competitors wager c-bills on the match outcome (but not bystanders).

If anything, the pre- and post battle of Tukkayid shows a few trends:

1) MWO players like contests and their names in rankings... give us one that never ends! :)

2) People (including myself) are a bit bored with CW & MWO as it is (note the huge drop in CW players post Tukkayid)

3) CW is unbalanced when PUG teams play 12 mans... PUGs need something they can compete well in by themselves and master.

4) PUGs need somewhere to hone their skills and I think arena style matches will be better training for CW matches than the current "standard" game mode

So... initially the Arena matches could only allow IS mechs... until a Clan can conquer Solaris in CW. Then its anything goes :) So there can be a link to CW with Solaris.

Anyone else want to see a Solaris Arena Mode??

If someone can start a voting thread I'd appreciate it... can't seem to find the option! :_

Edited by Jman88, 03 May 2015 - 01:22 PM.

#2 Frosted

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 515 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:21 PM

YES!

#3 Tincan Nightmare

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:24 PM

Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it. Considering the state of balance in the game right now, I can easily see the roll out of Solaris going like this.

1) Solaris becomes a new mode and players flock to it for some fun mech bashing
2) the min/max crowd use quirks and current weapon states to make the 'ideal' solaris mechs for each class
3) Players begin to leave Solaris and cry for 'nerfs' or 'fixes' as those mechs begin to dominate the scene
4) Solaris becomes a ghost town like CW with just a few players running the same cookie-cutter builds while everyone else goes back to the public queue.

It will just be CW on a smaller scale.

#4 SuomiWarder

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationSacramento area, California

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:29 PM

Yeah, this makes logical sense and could be easily done using portions of the maps they already have. Free for all 12 pilot drops would be popular as well judging by the old MW4 servers set for that (most no heat, no ammo back in the day). I have 28 person team that as a hard time getting 12 together at one time. Groups of 4 is easy, so 4x4 matches would be cool too.

ill need to et Clan mechs play though, people paid money for them. Maybe Mix Tech and Pure Tech matches. In MixTech you ca bring either, in Pure Tech you matchs are clan or IS only. Clanners that know the source material could do various trials as well.

#5 Stoned Prophet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:30 PM

View PostJman88, on 03 May 2015 - 01:11 PM, said:

Please please please bring us a The Solaris Games Arena mode... MWO needs a 1 on 1 or 4 vs 4 mode that is gladiator style mech destroying duels! Give us 4 weight classes, small arena style maps like MW4 had, and online leaderboards that are always updating for the 4 weight classes!! Maybe have a pro and newbie circuit...

Allow people to challenge each other for climbing the leader boards... let competitors wager c-bills on the match outcome (but not bystanders).

If anything, the pre- and post battle of Tukkayid shows a few trends:

1) MWO players like contests and their names in rankings... give us one that never ends! :)

2) People (including myself) are a bit bored with CW & MWO as it is (note the huge drop in CW players post Tukkayid)

3) CW is unbalanced when PUG teams play 12 mans... PUGs need something they can compete well in by themselves and master.

4) PUGs need somewhere to hone their skills and I think arena style matches will be better training for CW matches than the current "standard" game mode

So... initially the Arena matches could only allow IS mechs... until a Clan can conquer Solaris in CW. Then its anything goes :) So there can be a link to CW with Solaris.

Anyone else want to see a Solaris Arena Mode??

If someone can start a voting thread I'd appreciate it... can't seem to find the option! :_

Private matches.

#6 Spleenslitta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:39 PM

View PostJman88, on 03 May 2015 - 01:11 PM, said:

I allready did...sorta anyways. I want weight class matches as well as open weight matches.
Solaris Open Weight Matches.

But it was just unpopular. I suggested a way to make PGI to start mech feedback threads based on polls.
But that was unpopular too. We could have had enough feedback on for example the Awesome's sidetorso's to convince PGI to give it an overhaul within a week.

But nope.....players only cared about the thing concerning right this very second.
So the thread was buried under favorite mech suggestion threads and such.

#7 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 May 2015 - 03:31 PM

View PostStoned Prophet, on 03 May 2015 - 01:30 PM, said:

Private matches.

Not even remotely what he is suggesting...

+1 for Solaris

#8 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 03:36 PM

I'm in for this.

+1 for leaderboards (for all game modes!)
+1 for arena 1v1 and 4v4
+1 for wagers

#9 JohnnyWayne

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:09 PM

We need Solaris.

We are leaving the whole of the real competetive crowd out of the game, not the "competetives" that rather well... stomp randoms.

#10 Naduk

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:10 PM

You guys should listen to the town hall pod casts, you can find them on ngng site or utube

They already have a design in place for Solaris
They want to make solaris (itching to even)
But as with anything it takes time
Russ even believes its a bigger feature than cw
But for it to even be started many things need to come first
Like a usable spectator tool and other items
But from what little they have said about it, its going to be awesome, i just hope we get melee for it

#11 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:11 PM

They need to start working with George Ledoux right now. I want hundreds of hours worth of commentating sound clips, to cover every sort of situation. And I want half that time to be hilarious anecdotes and grumpy reflections.

If I heard Duncan Fisher make an in-game comment in Solaris about poptarts and laservomit, I would die a happy man.

#12 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:41 PM

View PostStoned Prophet, on 03 May 2015 - 01:30 PM, said:

Private matches.

If private matches didn't cost Premium Time to use, perhaps that might apply. But since they do, it doesn't.

Also, privates require you to know everybody ahead of time. A Solaris queue/mode would bring together random or sorta random people.

#13 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,657 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:43 PM

I want to hear Duncan Fisher along with this game mode please.

#14 Epathian

• PipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 52 posts
  • LocationForestHill, California

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:49 PM

I loved Mw4 for the reason that I can go to instant action and play against waves of endless A.I for hours.

and here is the thing... it was fun.

But that is something non of you know about.

I doubt pig will ever add such a thing but I would be glad to actually invest in this company If they did.

But they don't care about their customers do they.. Just how sell out the fan base, with half thought-out Mech packs!!

#15 GreyNovember

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:49 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 03 May 2015 - 05:11 PM, said:

They need to start working with George Ledoux right now. I want hundreds of hours worth of commentating sound clips, to cover every sort of situation. And I want half that time to be hilarious anecdotes and grumpy reflections.

A LITTLE Unreasonable, considering "Hundreds of hours" far exceeds most Triple A Games' dialouge.

And I'd rather not have that big of a patch to download. Please, think of us dirty third world country residents and our terrible internet.
a
One day we might take that Gauss round and save your mech.

#16 Gaussfather

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 310 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:18 AM

View PostEpalypso, on 03 May 2015 - 05:49 PM, said:

I loved Mw4 for the reason that I can go to instant action and play against waves of endless A.I for hours.

and here is the thing... it was fun.

But that is something non of you know about.

I doubt pig will ever add such a thing but I would be glad to actually invest in this company If they did.

But they don't care about their customers do they.. Just how sell out the fan base, with half thought-out Mech packs!!

I loved the Solaris mode in MW4! Which makes me think with real live people it would be even more fun! And yeah, getting that commentator for MWO Solaris would be amazing! :)

This game needs more fun for players who don't always want to do 12 mans all the time.... I don't care about the spectating tools right now. Add that later. We have everything in place to do a decent Solaris since we can do private matches 1 v 1. Just need maps and not make it premium time only.

I'd like to see it set up so that initially you are in Amateur Division for the weight class. You have to get 100 wins to go Pro Division in the weight class. That would keep the newbies from being cannon fodder for the top players and also give new players a place to learn the better mech piloting before dropping into CW etc.

Once you are Pro Division your stats record resets and you can slowly climb up on your win-loss record and by challenging players ahead of you to matches. If you win you take their place and they drop a few.

Probably someone has a more sophisticated/better concept but something like this would be fun and give us all better piloting skills...

#17 Gaussfather

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 310 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:23 AM

P.S.

If the leaderboards and rankings are available online, then you can find the name of the person you want to challenge. Then you can send them a Solaris invitation similar to other invitations. Something like this shouldn't be to hard to implement.

For random que make it 4 vs 4 if doing many 1 vs 1 matches is tough on the server capacity. Just be sure to have Pro/Amatuer Division option for players.

#18 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:26 AM

View PostTincan Nightmare, on 03 May 2015 - 01:24 PM, said:

Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it. Considering the state of balance in the game right now, I can easily see the roll out of Solaris going like this.

1) Solaris becomes a new mode and players flock to it for some fun mech bashing
2) the min/max crowd use quirks and current weapon states to make the 'ideal' solaris mechs for each class
3) Players begin to leave Solaris and cry for 'nerfs' or 'fixes' as those mechs begin to dominate the scene
4) Solaris becomes a ghost town like CW with just a few players running the same cookie-cutter builds while everyone else goes back to the public queue.

It will just be CW on a smaller scale.

Not really. Some people might get tired of the meta builds but the players in it for the competition will stay. CW isn't about competition (hence PUGs vs 12mans), it's about grinding down planets so your unit name can be on it after you've walked across the fields of dead PUGs.

#19 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:29 AM

View PostJohnnyWayne, on 03 May 2015 - 04:09 PM, said:

We need Solaris.

We are leaving the whole of the real competetive crowd out of the game, not the "competetives" that rather well... stomp randoms.

Stomping randoms is the only thing we can do though, because there's no game mode that lets us play against organized/competitive players. The matchmaking doesn't match our group drop against an equally skilled team 80% of the time, so we drop against worse players and run them over fast so we can drop again and hopefully get a decent game.

#20 McScwizzy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:33 AM

It would be a fun game mode, but like someone said it would end up the same cookie cutter builds as always and become a ghost town and everyone back into the public queue.

I say every week have a different set of rotating stock mechs that everyone can choose from non-customizable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users