Executioner And Ebon Jaguar Countdown: 0 Days Left!

717 replies to this topic

#441 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 13 June 2015 - 05:51 AM

View PostTúatha Dé Danann, on 13 June 2015 - 03:55 AM, said:

You know that I'm talkling about the trade-off and not about what can be done? We have fixed JJ now, but we had dynamic ones before. We have a fixed Flamer in the Adder, but Russ talks about making it removable. We have fixed engines and MASC now which pose a problem for many mechs and we have fixed upgrades like Endo/Ferro which hurts mechs, esp. the bad ones.
You see the pattern? Good.

Now try to outbalance that with 4 medium lasers. Or 4 tons of free gauss ammo. Again: Trade-off.

That would be part of the cross-balancing discussion between Clan mechs. There is also the Gargoyle or the running fridge that need more love.

Never heard anything about the Cataphract being bad. Sorry. But I foresaw that the Gargoyle, the Ice Ferret and the Myst Linx will be bad... which they are. And I'm now telling, that the trade-off (4 tons, 4 Slots, fixed equipment) for MASC in the Executioner is bad... in a mech that is already not good, which makes it worse. It won't be as bad as the Gladiator, but it will be junk compared to the Dire wolf next to it.

Which is also part of the stagnant behavior when IGP still had their hands on the game. Things are balanced faster now. Which is good btw.

Point 1:
The flamer removal for the adder is in my mind is a mistake, buffing the flamer like russ mentioned earlier would be much better option as well as a quirk for the most iconic weapon on the adder ever to the point that ever adder has it...
These are clan mechs were are talking about and unlike IS ones we just got the still developing quirk omnimech system and the different set of stuff that mechs bring in, and right now the Executioner stands as the 2nd best Clan assault we have, 2nd to the direwolf, with the warhawk following 3rd and gargoyle at 4th.

Point 2:
Yes, but you could also put MASC on the executioner to give it a unique edge for you know, the whole reason you wanted the executioner. If you wanted your faster more heat efficient executioner who hates hardwired MASC and jumpjets then you can have fun with your gargoyle for now.
Can quite see you probably dislike the executioner, but I see probably my 2nd fave MW: O clan mech coming in game in a few days. Has good speed, good agility, nice jump height for weight class, and decent hardpoints as well as the unique advantages of MASC.

Point 3:
Was talking about in terms of MASC, gargoyle has no MASC and thus it is not the base for the MASC ballancing as of 16/06/3050 (2015)
Gargoyle is already confirmed to get love soon, possible ammo related quirks and stuff.

Point 4:
Lots of people said it was DOA for that mech and that it would be ****. Poor hardpoints... no high hardpoints... Catapult can do anything it can do... Low slung arms...
Nic Minute (+1 for you if you get that reference) the cataphract was the god of the game with pop tarting (2 x PPC + 1 Gauss rifle with JJ) to the later evolution of pop tarting (2 x PPC + 1 AC 20 with JJ) to the Dakka times of the no ghost heated colder faster fire rate AC 5's (4 x AC 5) to even cattering to the reason you can't fire more then 2 gauss rifles (3 Gauss rifle build)
It was thought to be DoA, but turned out to be one of the best mechs in game.
Firestarter, Shadowhawk, Highlander, Victor, etc are all thought to be DoA mechs but turned out to be very good.

Also the Ice Ferret is from memory considered the 2nd best clan medium mech and one of the most popular ones for CW as it has good armour, speed, and firepower for generator rushing, this is practically the best or only mech that can reliably do it with 140 kph, max armour, and 3 SRM 4's with a medium pulse (considered the CW meta mech), some Meta or comp units often run at least 1 for a 12 man zerg rush to take the generators with them. I've been part of them. Do not like the style as I am quite used to my non-streak version of the Ice ferret prime, but it was quite effective. As the whole reason on standard meta the reason why missiles isn't popular is due to spread, which isn't important for generators that have 1 huge hitbox.

Note: also I do not consider this thing a DoA mech or a poor performing mech. Still ebtter then most other clan mechs and competes with some IS, which is weird for a clan mech as only a hand full of Clan mechs competes with IS counterparts at something.

Point 5:

Not really, because after this so called balancing, it has killed all JJ mechs from heavy weight class+. Ghost heat loopholes occured for clans (ie Timberwolf 2 large pulse, 4 er mediums-5 er mediums), Most Clan mechs can't even compete with the current poor IS mechs like the awesome or locust. and last of all we got mechs with 50% quirks running amock everywhere.
Dragons doing the same Dakka as a King crab, Banshee, or a Direwolf that isn't overheating.
Battlemaster 2C being the most armoured mech in game even though it's not a 100 tonner... or a 95 tonner... or a 90 tonner...
nor those 125, 135, 150, or 200 tonner freaks of nature.

We got Cicada 2C's firing PPC's if like it has a mythical Targeting computer 15 and we got the Grid iron using the uknown Jihad era weapon known as the "Rotary unjammable Gauss rifle".

In a way, IGP's snail like paste left more room for ballancing then PGI's fast past "spam" so to say. We got half baked clan quirks and we got over quirked IS mechs and for some reason the treatment of quirks are different on both sides.

Don't get me wrong, I do love PGI's work and celebrated IGP's leavings. However seeing the timberwolf and stromcrow nerf.
The pathetic quirks recieved on the mechs like mist lynx, adder, summoner, gargoyle, etc. While mechs like locusts, grid iron, cicada 2c, dragon 1n, have extremes that make nearly any other mech with a simular role extinct, or to the point that doing any build that isn't with the overquirked weapon is considered pathetic as you cut your effeciency by half regardless if your running duel UAC 5 on the dragon 1N or an AC 10.

I kinda wish they slow down a bit and let the animators, the artists, and the people who are making the ballancing decisions more time till they spam another package.
Looking at the quality of the modular weapons on clan wave 2 (look at mist lynx arms for eg) or how long it took animation fixes for the half done timberwolf, kitfox, adder, direwolf, warhawk, etc...

#442 Twilight Fenrir

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 06:02 AM

View PostTúatha Dé Danann, on 13 June 2015 - 01:03 AM, said:

Well, take the Shadowcat. Take out MASC and put the 2 tons directly into the reactor (in theory) XL270-->XL300
Now you have a piece of equipment that boosts your speed temporarily and the difference is not that huge anymore.

On bigger engines which weight more than smaller ones (exp. rising curve) MASC may make a little more sense, but on smaller to medium engines, you want to put that tonnage directly into the reactor instead of "wasting" it for MASC.

That being said, you do not only put in 4 additional tons but also 4 slots AND have a piece of equipment you cannot remove. If you put all those things together on a mech that only has 25 tons of pod space on a freaking 95 ton mech, MASC begins to hurt, esp. if you can only use it for something like 10 seconds and then your 4 tons and 4 slots are useless.

I dunno, that video of the Koala popping out of the Citadel and back in with, and without MASC sure sold me on the value of the equipment.

Never heard anything about the Cataphract being bad. Sorry. But I foresaw that the Gargoyle, the Ice Ferret and the Myst Linx will be bad... which they are. And I'm now telling, that the trade-off (4 tons, 4 Slots, fixed equipment) for MASC in the Executioner is bad... in a mech that is already not good, which makes it worse. It won't be as bad as the Gladiator, but it will be junk compared to the Dire wolf next to it.

I remember that discussion, actually. The 'Phract was a walking fridge, it was assumed it would be slaughtered because of how big it was. Hell, I STILL hear that the 'Phract is garbage, because it is too slow and can't mount a decently sized engine...

The Ice Ferret meanwhile was one of the single greatest banes of CW :P 12 Ice Ferrets are unstoppable on a base rush. They are also the fastest Clan mech in the game, until the Arctic Cheetah comes out.

Which is also part of the stagnant behavior when IGP still had their hands on the game. Things are balanced faster now. Which is good btw.

That was more about the variety of mechs in the game at that point than anything. It was what... Jenner, Raven, Hunchie, Cicada, Dragon, 'Phract, Atlas and maybe Stalker? It was the only mech at the time that could sport 3 UAC5s. Also, the UAC5s were glitched, and actually fired 3 rounds instead of two, which it took a while to realize. So 'Phracts were king due to lack of competition moreso than being unbalanced. (Except the broken UACs) But, as more mechs were introduced, and there was more variety, balance was restored.

#443 Matt Newman

Live Ops Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 09:05 AM

Cockpit Preview Videos are live! Enjoy!

#444 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 13 June 2015 - 09:09 AM

That cockpit on the EBJ is ... delicious! All that visibility! And the Executioner's cockpit looks extremely secure and safe.

Also, that music for both of those. Why u no in game?!

#445 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 13 June 2015 - 09:28 AM

But I foresaw that the Gargoyle, the Ice Ferret and the Myst Linx will be bad... which they are. And I'm now telling, that the trade-off (4 tons, 4 Slots, fixed equipment) for MASC in the Executioner is bad... in a mech that is already not good, which makes it worse. It won't be as bad as the Gladiator, but it will be junk compared to the Dire wolf next to it.

Gargles, IF, and Lynx were pretty obviously going to be bad from the get go.

The Executioner is... Well, it's limited by having a ridiculously huge engine. That is, it's only going to be good at one particular thing, and really not good as a general purpose assault.

Engines over 350 in assaults are bad, period. Too many tons invested for too little speed. However, the Executioner will be able to basically be an Assault pre-nerf laser vomit timberwolf, and that's not a bad thing.

As to MASC in particular on the Executioner... I'd take MASC over a larger engine any day. I'd take masc over 4t/4s of anything else in that mech. Being able to turn so much faster, accelerate so damn fast, it'll be able to tank damage much better than a banshee (comparable armor and profile, VASTLY faster twist and turn, Clan XL); be able to peek and poke like a medium. That's a major advantage.

Take MASC out, and you have a rather boring unquirked bnc3m.

#446 Dekontoroga

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 137 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 13 June 2015 - 09:31 AM

Dat Cockpit of the Couldron Born ... sweet ... now i will fill it with Cockpititems that will make it my 2nd Home! :wub:

Edited by Dekontoroga, 13 June 2015 - 09:44 AM.

#447 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 13 June 2015 - 09:32 AM

Oh, sweet jesus, that Cauldron Born cockpit. The whole mech... God, it's perfect. I've never been so in love :)

How am I going to find time to tear myself away to play with the others?

#448 GermanPartisan

• PipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 09:34 AM

Man that Cauldron Born really shapes up to be one of the best mechs ever.

In general that whole Wave III is the wave I enjoy the most, not one mech in there that Id call DoA.

Executioner is a good workhorse. Cauldorn Born seems to be stupidly good in every regard. Shadowcat is a good damage chassis, and the Hankyu ... for my purposes ... THE best clan light mech.

I am happy.

Edited by GermanPartisan, 13 June 2015 - 09:38 AM.

#449 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 13 June 2015 - 09:34 AM

I'm so happy I'll be able to run the whole pack as a CW drop deck. Executioner, Cauldron Born, Shadowcat, Arctic Cheetah; 235t well spent. 2xECM, high speed across the board, multiple JJ options, delicious firepower. *cackles*

#450 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 09:44 AM

Yep, I knew the EbJag's cockpit would be awesome :3

We already saw the Koala's though... I call gyp! :P

Kind of a weak day 3 IMO. Not that anything they showed in it was BAD, just not something I would have dedicated a day to, personally :P

#451 Dekontoroga

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 137 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 13 June 2015 - 09:48 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 13 June 2015 - 09:32 AM, said:

Oh, sweet jesus, that Cauldron Born cockpit. The whole mech... God, it's perfect. I've never been so in love :)

How am I going to find time to tear myself away to play with the others?

You will NEVER go away from this Couldron Born! Couldron Born is Power! Couldron Born is Life! You will be a good Host for our Couldron Born! ^_^

I guess i have the Virus already in me ... and i dont regret it!

Edited by Dekontoroga, 13 June 2015 - 09:49 AM.

#452 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 09:52 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 13 June 2015 - 09:34 AM, said:

I'm so happy I'll be able to run the whole pack as a CW drop deck. Executioner, Cauldron Born, Shadowcat, Arctic Cheetah; 235t well spent. 2xECM, high speed across the board, multiple JJ options, delicious firepower. *cackles*

View PostDekontoroga, on 13 June 2015 - 09:48 AM, said:

You will NEVER go away from this Couldron Born! Couldron Born is Power! Couldron Born is Life! You will be a good Host for our Couldron Born! ^_^

I guess i have the Virus already in me ... and i dont regret it!

Pfft, 3 Cauldron Borns and a Shadow Cat for me :D 240 tons!

Edited by Twilight Fenrir, 13 June 2015 - 09:53 AM.

#453 Uncle Totty

• The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,556 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSomewhere in the ARDC (Ark-Royal Defense Cordon)

Posted 13 June 2015 - 09:59 AM

View PostMatt Newman, on 13 June 2015 - 09:05 AM, said:

Not to sound ungrateful but screenshots could have done the trick.

#454 Dekontoroga

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 137 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 13 June 2015 - 09:59 AM

View PostTwilight Fenrir, on 13 June 2015 - 09:52 AM, said:

Pfft, 3 Cauldron Borns and a Shadow Cat for me :D 240 tons!

By the Power of Math (which i dont have me sillywilly!) so be it!

#455 Cimarb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:04 AM

View PostNathan K, on 13 June 2015 - 09:59 AM, said:

Not to sound ungrateful but screenshots could have done the trick.

I actually really like the video, as it gives a much better impression of how it looks than a simple screenshot would have, due to FoV settings.

#456 Sandtiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 262 posts
  • LocationVernal Utah

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:14 AM

View PostMatt Newman, on 13 June 2015 - 09:05 AM, said:

I am so dumb when it comes to navigating these forums. Where can I find the vids? Thanks!

#457 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:14 AM

View PostSandtiger, on 13 June 2015 - 10:14 AM, said:

I am so dumb when it comes to navigating these forums. Where can I find the vids? Thanks!

First post of this thread, silly monkey :)

#458 Uncle Totty

• The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,556 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSomewhere in the ARDC (Ark-Royal Defense Cordon)

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:15 AM

View PostSandtiger, on 13 June 2015 - 10:14 AM, said:

First page in this thread.

Edit: Damn, beat me to it.

Edited by Nathan K, 13 June 2015 - 10:17 AM.

#459 Lsq78

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:18 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 13 June 2015 - 09:34 AM, said:

Yeah I also noticed that... Wave 3 is a solid dropdeck on its own.

#460 Sandtiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 262 posts
  • LocationVernal Utah

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:20 AM

Ahhh of course! Thanks Gents! =]

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users