- - - - -

Shooting Lrms At Mechs With Ecm

18 replies to this topic

#1 LMP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 277 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 04:40 PM

I used to not shoot LRMs at Mechs with ECM, but I noticed the other day that if I do my reticle will still flash red indicating hits just as frequently as when I shoot at Mechs without ECM.

So what's going on?

#2 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 14 June 2015 - 04:47 PM

If you can get a lock, they'll fly normally. There are several situations where you can lock an ECM mech, though usually it takes a long time.

#3 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

ecm makes locking significantly harder but if you manage to get the lock you still can shoot

#4 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

you don't even need a lock, lrm will hit where you're pointing at. the tracking needs a lock, not the ability to do damage.

#5 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 14 June 2015 - 05:47 PM

View PostLOADED, on 14 June 2015 - 04:47 PM, said:

you don't even need a lock, lrm will hit where you're pointing at. the tracking needs a lock, not the ability to do damage.

THIS!!! You can shoot them without a lock and they will land were your reticule is. I show that at the 17 minute mark of this video that includes a bunch of tricks and tips for targeting.

#6 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 05:50 PM

View PostLOADED, on 14 June 2015 - 04:47 PM, said:

View PostSpike Brave, on 14 June 2015 - 05:47 PM, said:

THIS!!! You can shoot them without a lock and they will land were your reticule is. I show that at the 17 minute mark of this video that includes a bunch of tricks and tips for targeting.

Good luck getting them to land on anything at a decent range except an assault standing still. A side benefit is that there is no Betty alarm about incoming missiles on their end. The downside to the lack of a message is that the psychological effect of that message playing isn't there either.

#7 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 06:07 PM

View PostLyoto Machida, on 14 June 2015 - 05:50 PM, said:

Good luck getting them to land on anything at a decent range except an assault standing still. A side benefit is that there is no Betty alarm about incoming missiles on their end. The downside to the lack of a message is that the psychological effect of that message playing isn't there either.

That's usually what I hit. D-DCs standing in the open relying on the ECM to protect them. Also shut down mechs make lovely target for that too.

Edited by Spike Brave, 14 June 2015 - 06:07 PM.

#8 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 08:15 PM

View PostLMP, on 14 June 2015 - 04:40 PM, said:

I used to not shoot LRMs at Mechs with ECM, but I noticed the other day that if I do my reticle will still flash red indicating hits just as frequently as when I shoot at Mechs without ECM.

So what's going on?

What people have said.
You can Dead Fire LRMs so long as your plus target symbol is aimed at the location you want to hit.

#9 Tylerchu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 253 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 14 June 2015 - 08:43 PM

You can also dumb-fire at them. I do it when I'm giving suppressing fire on a narrow/blind corner.

#10 Lan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 119 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 14 June 2015 - 11:21 PM

ECM only messes with your ability to lock on and track the enemy, normally I would not fire LRM's without locks but there are a few occasions where it is a good idea.

Blindfire vs a shutdown mech.
Suppress a location with a rainbow (few pilots willingly step into LRM rain).
Deny a cap point.

However, 99% of the time it's better to group up with a dedicated spotter. Get yourself a friend running a NARC & TAG Raven, that'll even the odds on ECM and give intel to your team. A good NARCer is a fine teamplayer, IMHO.

#11 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 15 June 2015 - 12:08 AM

A classic pug situation where LRM dumbfiring comes in pretty handy is the classical situation at maps like caustic where ppl tend to deathball and cling to the ever same lokations.
There you can easiely get behind them and lob LRMs into the blob.
Since they dont get a missle warning as long as they didn't where locked on by the missles they will take a few volleys till you get spotted.

#12 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 15 June 2015 - 02:34 AM

I can't believe no one mentioned this, but a UAV will allow you to get locks even on an ECM mech. DO THIS! If a friendly pops a UAV and there are several enemy symbols available, ALWAYS lock on the one with ECM. If you can take him out (or his ECM) before the enemy figures out that there's a UAV up, it will make getting locks that much easier. If the enemy ECM unit is a fast light (Pirate's Bane, Spider 5D, Raven 3L for example) it may run away if the lrms start raining down. If that's the case and you lose your lock, go ahead and look for the baddest assault you can find to lurm, don't just star lurming on the first mech you lock.

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 06:25 AM

View PostSpike Brave, on 14 June 2015 - 05:47 PM, said:

You can shoot them without a lock and they will land were your reticule is. I show that at the 17 minute mark of this video that includes a bunch of tricks and tips for targeting.

To expand on the contents of this video....
It is also possible dumb-fire LRMs at two different points at the same time for suppressive purposes.
I'm curious, so lets see if Spike Brave can figure this one out.

#14 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 15 June 2015 - 06:36 AM

I also like bombarding corners and ramps like the ones leading up to Tera Therma center. If you notice mechs popping out of a specific area just let it rain there and sometimes you get some hits.

#15 Tylerchu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 253 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 15 June 2015 - 07:34 AM

LRMs really aren't designed to kill. They're supposed to rattle and disrupt enemy pilots and instill fear into newer players while doing massive amounts of (nonlethal) damage. I've seen many dedicated LRMers get +750 dmg per match because of the sheer amount of firepower they throw at absurd range. Two kills and ten assists maybe?
But man if you don't get a hella lot of component destruction bonuses...
If you're looking for kills go with autocannons and SRMs, but LRMs are great team players.
-
I intensely dislike boating LRMs for various reasons, but the biggest lesson I've learned from boating them (in my very noob days) is that being a coward is not a valid play. Get in there and do things yourself while raining hell, but make sure you do something useful besides indirect support.

#16 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 15 June 2015 - 08:56 AM

Another great spot to dumb fire lurms is C3 on Frozen City. If there are enemies jump sniping, dumb fire some lrms in their direction.

#17 Voivode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:08 AM

Good advice already put out there, but I'll touch a little more on locking ECM mechs.

1) Equip a TAG: TAG penetrates ECM and allows locking. TAG also speeds up locks in general when you have line of sight.

2) Equip a BAP: This is another general help for LRMs as BAP helps you get locks in general. Where it matters against ECM is when the enemy gets close. For instance, an annoying spider keeps swinging through the group and taking potshots and his ECM is ruining your locks. Equipping BAP will allow you to continue lobbing LRMs at his teammates while your lights and/or mediums attempt to take him out. BAP is a must have when running SSRMs.

3) NARC beacons: NARC is a funny weapon, a bit difficult to rely on in pug matches, but it can be extremely powerful. Generally, you will not equip NARC as the LRM mech (though I've seen some Trebuchet builds rock it beautifully) but as the LRM mech you should keep an eye out for it. Look for the NARC symbol (sort of like wifi symbol) on a mech. This means that you will be able to lock on and hammer this mech for 30 seconds. Take advantage of it if a light mech is risking their hide to put it out there. NARC is another ECM penetrating item.

#18 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 03:09 PM

View PostKoniving, on 15 June 2015 - 06:25 AM, said:

It is also possible dumb-fire LRMs at two different points at the same time for suppressive purposes.
I'm curious, so lets see if Spike Brave can figure this one out.

LRMs in the arms and torso with no lock. Point your arm reticule (circle in Is, elipse in Clan) away from your chest reticule (plus in IS, x in clan). I'll have to add that when I redo this video. Currently working on the UI stuff, but I need to revisit this as well.

#19 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 07:44 PM

View PostSpike Brave, on 15 June 2015 - 03:09 PM, said:

LRMs in the arms and torso with no lock. Point your arm reticule (circle in Is, elipse in Clan) away from your chest reticule (plus in IS, x in clan). I'll have to add that when I redo this video. Currently working on the UI stuff, but I need to revisit this as well.

Good man. And that's exactly how.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users