Utility Hardpoint Changes

No replies to this topic

#1 Helaton

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationStar Captain, Star Wolves

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:40 PM

Utility Hardpoint Changes
Goal is to bring more versatility/controls to utility/systems hardpoints located on mechs.

Changes
  • 2015-06-17 | Version 1.0
Goals
  • Promote the use of some omnipods
  • Promote the use of some mechs with various utility hardpoints
  • Mechs with limited Hardpoints but open support points can equip additional support equipment without limiting existing hardpoints
  • Allow people to consider that equipping a utility item like TAG or NARC is not a loss of hardpoint
I. Current Utility Hardpoints

The current state of utility hardpoints is strictly related to AMS alone. Most mechs do not use AMS except in some cases and the variety and placement of these hardpoints goes unused on many mechs.

II. Utility Hardpoint Updates
Redefining What is a Utility
The following equipments can be made to be Utility Hardpoints (Used in AMS/Utility slots):
  • AMS (Existing)
  • Active Probe (BAP/CAP)
  • Command Console
  • Narc
  • TAG
  • Targeting Computer
III. Mechs that could Benefit

There may be more, or some that are left up to the pilot, but these are mechs that could benefit from my perspective from the change. In most cases these support utilities will free up 1-2 weapon hardpoints that could be used for complementary or backup weapons.

That said, a lot of IS mechs will benefit from this and only a few Clan mechs (due to Clan's swappable Omnipods).

Most of what I consider qualifying mechs are 2+ missile points, 3 or less energy points. Reasoning: Because one of those energy points could be used on TAG, and a missile hardpoint means another missile bay instead of potential narc.
  • Most other lights just don't have enough pod space for helpful support equipment. (Most of them have more weapon hardpoints than a lot of mechs.)
  • Jenner Oxide
  • Panther 10P
  • Raven Huginn
  • Adder 'Prime' Right Torso
  • Vindicator St Ives
  • Centurions - Nearly all except the YLW
  • Hunchback 4J
  • Trebuchet - All of these
  • Griffin 1S/2N
  • Kintaro - All of these
  • Shadowhawk - A lot of these could benefit
  • Ice Ferret - 'A' Right Arm, 'D' Left Arm
  • Quickdraw - 4H
  • Catapult - A1, C1, C4
  • Jagermech - A
  • Thunderbolt - 9S, 5S, 5SS
  • Cataphract - 2X
  • Orion - K, M, V, VA
  • Hellbringer - 'Prime' Head
  • Summoner - 'B' & 'D' Left Torso and 'D' Right Torso'
  • Awesome - 8R, 8T, 8V, 9M, PB
  • Victor - 9S (but all could potentially benefit)
  • Zeus - 5S, 6T
  • Battlemaster - 1S, HS, 2C (how natural for a TAG in an arm?)
  • Stalker - 5S
  • Highlander - (All can potentially benefit)
  • Atlas - DDC, K, S
  • King Crab - 000, 0000, 000B
  • Gargoyle - 'Prime' Left Torso
Under-performer Overview

Aside from a few instances, the majority of the above underplayed mechs. So the freeing up of a weapon hardpoint could be beneficial to these builds.

This won't affect a lot of light mechs under 30 tons as they just don't have the tonnage for auxillary utility equipment. It would have to replace a weapon (and they usually come with a ton of hardpoints anyways.)

Over-performer Overview
There are a few clear cases where this could act as a restriction.

Stormcrows, Timberwolves, Direwolves only have access to 1 AMS on the chassis. Thus limiting utility equipment choices (CAP, Targeting Computer, AMS). While a mech like the Kit Fox with 3 Utility points would be an amazing flexible support mech.

On the IS side, There's some impact, but most mechs I've seen that are 'Meta' don't use support equipment much if at all.
---

Let me know your thoughts.

Edited by Helaton, 17 June 2015 - 03:39 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users