19 replies to this topic

#1 theta123

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:51 AM

My warhawk collection is complete. My dires are expended with a new Big boy

Now i need to get myself a new clanmech and i really really am intrested in the gargoyle. I know its the most difficult clan mech out their

But today i saw an 12 ER Small laser build wrecking trough my direwolf and i was mega impressed

GAR-D

Tell me lads, is this a good build? is the heat managable in bursts of 6?

#2 Mad Ox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:15 AM

Not sure it all that great a build but should be manageable Paper cuts of DOOM. Ran something similar with my Nova Prime 10 ER SL and 2 ER LL if that could do it see no reason Gar can't

Sure long as you keep it moving and brawl at right times will be pretty nasty.

#3 DONTOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 24 April 2015 - 01:37 PM

I just built a 10 SPL Gargoyle with 28 DHS, same damge as 12 ERSLs but faster and shorter...
Was trying to do something wth the variant that has no CT weapons and this can put out 120 damage pretty quickly for only about 60% heat total, it runs pretty cool.

#4 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 April 2015 - 05:07 PM

I built a 12 CSL Gar.

In summary, it doesn't work. Way too hot if you want to keep DPS up (which you do). And an alpha (the real appeal of this build imo) triggers such a severe ghost heat penalty that it just isn't worth it. A 6 cERML build is much more reliable.

#5 Demospata

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:59 PM

I have tried everything. Ths mech needs a serious overhaul or they should remove it from the game and give us something that's actually useful. I feel sick to my stomach that I preordered this pile of ****. Supposed tobe a reinforcement but it feels like a clan traitor.

Edited by Demospata, 01 May 2015 - 01:01 PM.

#6 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 01 May 2015 - 01:07 PM

I run 12 SPL w/24 DHS. It IS a wrecking machine but clearly has limitations.

#7 theta123

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 04:08 AM

my only 2 clan mech variants are the warhawks and direwolves. I also have barely any IS heavy mechs so i putted the Gargoyle on hold and i went for the maddogs

#8 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:42 PM

There was a time where this was THE build for the Nova. But it could never fit 27 DHS and it didn't run with 480 armor...

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8228b4b93779239

Why run a myopic build when you can run one that can punch you just fine at 500m?

#9 TheSilken

• 1,492 posts
  • LocationLost in The Warp

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:53 PM

UAC-20, 3 ERMLs, 5-6 tons ammo, 1-2 DHS. Double tap the UAC-20 and face **** people that underestimate you.

#10 grendeldog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 340 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:04 AM

I believe LB-X builds are reasonably useful. I was on group last night wih sebody running one and he had plenty of success.

#11 Mad Ox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:25 AM

Settled into the following myself just a few games short of mastery now.

Prime - LBX2 x 2 SRM6 x 2 and ERML (toying with LBX5 x 2 SRM2 x 2 and ERSL now that I am skilled up but so far LBX2 seems most effective.)
A - 2 ERLL 4 ERML
D - 2 ERLL 4 SPL

Tried all sorts of energy arrangements but thing over heats so fast the above seem to be good compromises. Though the A and D both have hard time going against even a heavy mech damage output it too low.

A distinct advantage goes to the Prime with both LBX2 firing away or LBX5 in chain mode firing away, hitting enemy non-stop. Causes enemy to shake so much they have to get out of firing cuz they cant see anything. Add on very heat efficient. I can pound away with lasers on enemy but they will stay there firing away maybe slowly retreating. LBX though is great to cover team with or just get mech to go away at range once in close they ahve a heck of a time hitting you through the screen shake.

#12 Ryokens leap

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:47 AM

Yep, I'm tired of the laser vomit and am running builds that take advantage of burst fire and quirks. Gar d with lb10x, erppc and med pulse. Cool down mod on both lbx and erppc allows 2 salvos of lbx and med pulse for every erppc shot. Much fun when people charge expecting a hot laser Gar only to find continuous, sustained fire. Use Gar speed and maneuverability to close on ERLLAS spam and play pop out alpha game, you get full damage burst and step back while their lasers are still burning for partial damage. Also performs well on Hellbringer zombie, Summoner pop tart and even Stormcrow. Laser spam meta = super lame and boring.

#13 Cupid and Psyche _

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 256 posts
  • LocationUnion DropShip

Posted 16 May 2015 - 05:10 PM

Gargoyle Pilot here. I'm tinkering around with builds quite a bit.

I like Gar-C with an LBX-20 and 6 Er-Small lasers. Make sure to use a gargoyle prime arm instead of the stock one, so you take advantage of the OmniPod quirk.

For D, I found that 6 Er Small Pulse Lasers and a Large pulse laser works quite well. I mount the large Pulse laser in one of the arms, but you could mount it in the center if you want.

This build is superior to the 8 ER-MDL build because you can sustain fire for longer while brawling (since that is one of the strengths of this amazing 'mech).

There are a lot of other builds I can come up with if you want.

#14 Randall Flagg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 590 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 07:07 AM

6 medium pulse + heat sinks.

It's the best config I came up with that was consistent while leveling that mech.

Edited by SKINLESS, 23 May 2015 - 07:14 AM.

#15 Ryokens leap

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 15 June 2015 - 07:17 AM

For LOLs I ran 2 lbx2 on quirked arms with cool down mods and a couple ct lasers. Wow! The rate of fire is crazy, I had Crabs and Dwolves backing down, super trolly fun.

#16 Black Ivan

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:06 PM

I'm getting into the Gargoyle myself now.

What are the most viable build?

I'm using one with 6 MPLs, one with LB-X20 and a couple of 6 ER-S lasers and one with L-Pulse Laser and 6 ER-Meds.

#17 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:25 PM

I just go with 2 UAC5s on mine.

#18 Black Ivan

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:39 PM

Only 2 UAC 5 and ammo? Do you use the variant optimized for UAC use?

#19 Autologus

• PipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 12:16 PM

Anyone ever give the UAC2 a try on this mech? I built one and got to run 2 games before my OS crashed and blue screened on me. The mech can lay down some impressive suppression fire and runs fairly cool and does not jam a whole lot.

Over all it appears to be a pretty fun mech, at one time I was able to prevent 6 mechs from coming through the arch on Forest Colony by myself, they would start to push and I would open up and a constant barrage of AC rounds had them all ducking for cover and backing away, it was quite funny.

Here is the Smurfy build.

GAR-D

#20 oO JimPansen Oo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 189 posts
  • LocationHerzberg / Lyran Commonwealth

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:22 PM

Running the GAR-D with 1LPL 8SPL 22DHS

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d2b40ffe940b13c

Best build i found till now.