Regarding Regional Servers

17 replies to this topic

#1 Gryphorim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 382 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 06:45 PM

Just a thought on how to impliment regional servers without sharding the player base.
This comes up as I play in a unit that has members from all 3 proposed regions.

What if, just after 24 players have been matched up for a game, but before loading map assets, the game does a poll of all player pings to each of the three regional servers and picks the one with the lowest average ping for all present players in that match.

This keeps all the players playing in the same pool, with the projected downside of people who have always had excellent ping, having up to 300ms if playing in another region's primetime.

#2 the hedgehog

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 06:52 PM

you can pick which servers you play on same as what game type.

#3 Gryphorim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 382 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:01 PM

Yes, but players picking which server they play on divides the player base.

#4 darkkterror

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:16 PM

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd be pretty upset if I went from having always excellent ping (which I have) to suddenly having terrible ping.

#5 CtrlAltWheee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 610 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 01:14 AM

I like the international community of mwo. It's a compromise I'd be okay with.

Playing robots with some random guy in Australia is one of the joys of the internet.

#6 Karmen Baric

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • LocationSarna

Posted 20 June 2015 - 01:40 AM

random guy from Oz chiming in

#7 Hit the Deck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 20 June 2015 - 01:50 AM

BTW, at the request of Mike Forst (it's up there pinned), I sent him my traceoute and ping results for the servers in Singapore from my place (Indonesia). I got 20-35ms ping it's so good I almost cried!

Edited by Hit the Deck, 20 June 2015 - 01:52 AM.

#8 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 20 June 2015 - 01:57 AM

If you can't find a game for your server just check them all.

#9 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 20 June 2015 - 02:44 AM

i hope there will, be check boxes, like for assault, skirmish, and conqeust.
Like NA, EU, oceanic, checkboxes.
You select all, you play randomly on all. You select one, you play one.

#10 Scratx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 06:20 AM

Speaking for myself as an EU player, still planning to go with both US and EU servers. Jury's out on the Singapore one, though. Until I see what kind of connection I have to it, I won't know if I should even try or not.

#11 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 20 June 2015 - 06:35 AM

View PostScratx, on 20 June 2015 - 06:20 AM, said:

Speaking for myself as an EU player, still planning to go with both US and EU servers. Jury's out on the Singapore one, though. Until I see what kind of connection I have to it, I won't know if I should even try or not.

My experience tells me that Germany-Singapore connection is not good (250ms ping or more).

#12 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 20 June 2015 - 06:37 AM

Nah, would be better if you just picked your region when you click the Play button, kinda like how you pick your game modes. But they could also make it so you can pick multiple different regions if you are cool with it.

#13 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 20 June 2015 - 06:52 AM

They're going to have to do something. Going to suck when the 50 people playing this game gets cut by a 3rd hehe.

#14 Scratx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 07:33 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 20 June 2015 - 06:52 AM, said:

They're going to have to do something. Going to suck when the 50 people playing this game gets cut by a 3rd hehe.

You realise they wouldn't even be thinking of doing this if they thought they didn't have enough people playing to be able to take the chance, right?

But depending on time zone, yeah, you may have to get out of your own regional server to get fast and good matching.

#15 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 June 2015 - 07:49 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 20 June 2015 - 06:37 AM, said:

Nah, would be better if you just picked your region when you click the Play button, kinda like how you pick your game modes. But they could also make it so you can pick multiple different regions if you are cool with it.

that was how Russ talked about it

picking your Server with a fallback option(s)

#16 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 20 June 2015 - 08:40 AM

View PostScratx, on 20 June 2015 - 07:33 AM, said:

You realise they wouldn't even be thinking of doing this if they thought they didn't have enough people playing to be able to take the chance, right?

But depending on time zone, yeah, you may have to get out of your own regional server to get fast and good matching.

There is no way they're thinking about now. They're thinking about a steam release and hoping this will bring people. They have memories from cw release and clan wave 1. With lots of hopes haha. Unless they improve this game these servers will be shut down in about a year.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 20 June 2015 - 08:42 AM.

#17 Questia

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn permanent 250+ ping mode

Posted 20 June 2015 - 09:17 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 20 June 2015 - 08:40 AM, said:

There is no way they're thinking about now. They're thinking about a steam release and hoping this will bring people. They have memories from cw release and clan wave 1. With lots of hopes haha. Unless they improve this game these servers will be shut down in about a year.

Oh please, you people keep claiming that every year. I'll be playing along, and laughing when next June 21, 2015 1:17 am GMT+8 comes around and MWO is still alive.

But enough of that, that's offtopic. I think the ping right now for Oceania is workable but certainly not optimal at all. If it hits <100 ping on our part due to the new servers, then I'll be cheering so hard my voice will shatter... finally, my aim will actually matter (especially against those lights)!

As for the queue problem... well, definitely we should be able to choose servers as we see fit, and thus see server load for each (to determine if the area has enough for decent queue-time / too much for ping to stay stable).

#18 ThisMachineKillsFascists

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 09:50 AM

i dont want to play on us primetime anymore. there seem to be alot dumb goats. I wanna stay on eu servers for eva

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users