Does Anyone Else Get Rusty To Fast?

25 replies to this topic

#1 SovietArmada

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 261 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:42 PM

This is a serious question, because I am curious if I am the only one with this problem. Does anyone else get rusty, lose skill, fast when not playing for a small period of time?

If i don't play for a day, it takes me a few hours to get back into it. If i don't play for two days, it feels like it was the first time i ever played the game, cant land a shot or pilot my mech...

If i don't play for a week, well it takes me about 3 weeks to get back into it... It's a frustrating cycle to go through every time, and I am curious if anyone has this issue. I asked my unit and they all just say it's psychological, but i swear i play really bad if i don't touch the game for a short while.

Please don't tell me I'm alone in this issue :(. If anyone else does have this issue, what do you do to get back into the game FAST!

#2 DYSEQTA

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 347 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:44 PM

Yep. Take a break for a month and come back feeling like a nub. :o

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:45 PM

All trigger ready games are susceptible to rustiness, fast. Turn based games like Hearthstone are less affected.

Finally, remember that faster you learn, faster you forget.

Edited by El Bandito, 19 June 2015 - 07:47 PM.

#4 odiemoncrew

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:45 PM

i Also think it's a matter of the tactics can change slightly and make you feel off.

#5 Kira Onime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:47 PM

Can happen to everybody.
You can lose some of your reflexe if you don't practice them regularly but at the same time they can come back rather quickly when you pick them back up.

#6 unFearing

• PipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 81 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:00 PM

Try getting back into the feel of the game with less piloting stress - take a laser-based mech that has speed and good amount of armor (light - heavy), reacquaint yourself with the feel of the battlefield and movement, then move onto a sniper mech with gauss or ppc that has similar or less speed (light - fast assault), then go back to your favorite builds that add an element back to your former skill set. I.e. hop into a HBK-4P, then maybe a JM6 with dual gauss, then perhaps an HBK-4G or STK-M.

In short, ease back into the game, and get a feel for your ballistics/missiles every time you see Assaults - you'll need that feel for when Lights come around. Brawling mechs you should try easing into last if it's been a while, and start with speed > armor, if anything (so take a brawler medium or heavy rather than an assault) to remember the feel for when to push the enemy. Ranged mechs are typically "safer" options for the PUG environment, but that doesn't mean sit back with LRMs or ER LL weaponry forever; contribute via offense and defense to your team.

#7 Bill Shakespear

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:08 PM

I went from playing about two hours a day to two hours a week about six months ago and my skills have definitely deteriorated.

I've found that if I get some regular and consistent play time (like over a long weekend), it starts coming back.

Hang in there! ;)

#8 Navy Sixes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationHeading west

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:30 PM

Do I get Rusty to fast?

Nah, I let him eat whenever he wants! :)

#9 Ryllen Kriel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 754 posts
  • LocationBetween the last bottle and the next.

Posted 19 June 2015 - 10:00 PM

When I take a week or two off, sometimes I come back and play better. Each to their own.

#10 Felbombling

• 2,976 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 19 June 2015 - 10:10 PM

Embrace the horror. I came back tonight after being away for awhile and bought a new Grid Iron to compound my ring rust. Oh, the humanity!!

#11 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 19 June 2015 - 10:56 PM

I don't get rusty, I start rusty and stay rusty.

#12 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 11:01 PM

Depends on the game. In MWO not too fast, because it's a rather easy game when it comes to the actual combat. Tragets are slow, aiming is easy, there is no recoilcontrol needed. I had several longer breaks from MWO without noticeably getting worse during them.

But i just went to play a match of CS:GO after taking a break for like half a year. Good god i was horrible. Infact i was so bad i couldn't be bothered to get back to my old skill level and just uninstalled again.

#13 Light-Speed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 286 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 11:08 PM

View Postmeteorol, on 19 June 2015 - 11:01 PM, said:

Depends on the game. In MWO not too fast, because it's a rather easy game when it comes to the actual combat. Tragets are slow, aiming is easy, there is no recoilcontrol needed.

I dare you to play try playing lights seriously. As in making major contributions to the victory kind of serious, not the run in there and have fun and doing whatever you want to do or the halfway decent effort kind.

#14 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 19 June 2015 - 11:18 PM

Not really, but once in a great while ill do poorly in a game that I knew i could've done well on :/

#15 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 12:07 AM

View PostNightingale27, on 19 June 2015 - 11:08 PM, said:

I dare you to play try playing lights seriously. As in making major contributions to the victory kind of serious, not the run in there and have fun and doing whatever you want to do or the halfway decent effort kind.

Even when playing lights, which undoubtedly have the highest skillceiling in MWO, the game is easier than a lot of competitively played FPS. Yeah, you are moving fast in a light which makes hitting accurate shots harder and if you make a mistake you are dead. There are quite a few games out there in which this is the case for everyone, not just a single class. But nevertheless your targets can't sidestep, bunnyhop (JJ tabbing aside), stutterstep (probably won't make you miss because its too slow), crouch, slide, walljump or anything in that regard. You never have to worry about recoil with a single weapon in mwo.

A light changing his direction frequently and tabbing JJ is the hardest thing you have to hit in MWO. In quite a few other games something similar is your average target. Aiming in MWO is easier than in other FPS, and that is what usually degenerates first if you stop playing.

Edited by meteorol, 20 June 2015 - 12:08 AM.

#16 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 12:07 AM

I find that after taking a long break, I don't know how to lead SRMs onto moving targets anymore.

#17 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 20 June 2015 - 12:10 AM

View Postmeteorol, on 20 June 2015 - 12:07 AM, said:

Even when playing lights, which undoubtedly have the highest skillceiling in MWO, the game is easier than a lot of competitively played FPS. Yeah, you are moving fast in a light which makes hitting accurate shots harder and if you make a mistake you are dead. There are quite a few games out there in which this is the case for everyone, not just a single class. But nevertheless your targets can't sidestep, bunnyhop (JJ tabbing aside), stutterstep (probably won't make you miss because its too slow), crouch, slide, walljump or anything in that regard. You never have to worry about recoil with a single weapon in mwo.

A light changing his direction frequently and tabbing JJ is the hardest thing you have to hit in MWO. In quite a few other games something similar is your average target. Aiming in MWO is easier than in other FPS, and that is what usually degenerates first if you stop playing.

The only hard part is how you die in 1 mistake, while you can't kill anyone else nearly as quickly, no matter what mistakes they make (unless they're already heavily damaged). Even shooting someone in the back tends to take at least 2 alphas to blow out a side torso on anything bigger than another light.

The fact that lights themselves are so easy to hit compared to most FPS games doesn't help either.

#18 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 20 June 2015 - 01:01 AM

Of course... i don't know why but i recently feel that i can't aim for sh*. I miss gauss shots. I miss PPC shots. I stand in the open like an idiot and peek when i know everyone is waiting on the other side.

Also i feel I'm losing my eyesight.

Edited by Navid A1, 20 June 2015 - 01:01 AM.

#19 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 20 June 2015 - 01:55 AM

Your ELO stays the same so the game believes that you are still the elite haxxorz super soldier you once were even after you take a break.

#20 NeoCodex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 799 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 02:06 AM

I often take long 2-4 weeks break from the game. I am always worried of getting rusty, but everytime I come back it feels like riding a bike.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users