Does The Is Gauss Cannon Really Need Charge Up For Is Mechs?

102 replies to this topic

#101 Hades Trooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,461 posts
  • LocationWillow Tree, NSW

Posted 23 June 2015 - 07:57 AM

View Postspeleomaniac, on 22 June 2015 - 12:41 AM, said:

Lets be honest here.

Gauss charge up is there because of Clans. Direwolfs that can load 3 Gauss or 2 Gauss and 2 ER PPC.

The thing is to load Guass cannon you have to go most of the time XL engines and clans are not paying that big of a penalty to load XL engines.

At the WE I try to run Dragon Slayer with the classical poptart setup Gauss and 2 PPC for 35 Alpha and today game 35 Alpha is really joke for the risk you take in a 80 ton XL engined Assault. I can hit in my Firestarter for 30 Alpha all the time with a 30 tonner.

So why the big fuzz about Gauss/2 PPC in 80 ton XL Assault.

When I try to run this setup with DS I could not pass 200 damage because of the face time you get with Gauss charge up gives the enemy the opportunity to concentrate to side torso and all the broken jump animation can prevent so much damage.

When I switch to STD engine and some weird setups I directly jumped to 500-600 damage with DS.

When I see Jägermech with Dual Gauss with my Timbie one single 60 Alpha to arm most of the time will blow the arm/Gauss/side torso. In my opinion a 35 alpha does not pay this level of risk.

They will not change how the XL engine behaves in IS mech but I think they should really consider changing the Gauss charge up for IS mechs.

I don't know any IS mech then can load 2 Gauss cannons and 2 ER PPC and be as dangerous as Direwolf. So for clans charge up should stay but XL vulnerability and Gauss charge up is too much for IS.

The fact he didn't realise the charge mechanic was in before clans just show ignorance and yet another IS cry to be more OP

#102 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 23 June 2015 - 08:05 AM

View Postspeleomaniac, on 22 June 2015 - 01:09 AM, said:

Are you really sure charge up is there before clans.

I started playing this game around the time people start complained about 2 x Gauss 2 x ER PPC dires and I think they introduce the charge up after that.

Yes it was added about the week the Orion was released because I never got to use a Gauss Rifle on my Orions. Like May 2013. Due to all the players whining something about Gauss+ERPPCs taking out their new 5xAC2 Jagermechs. They called it the Gauss+PPC meta, but it was really because Gauss+PPC stops 5xAC2's. Gauss beats Dakka, but Dakka does more damage per second. It was actually a good balance, better than Laser Vomit which has very short TTK and is just point and click for the kill and has completely destroyed MWO as a Mech Sim.

They should remove the Gauss charge if just one is mounted immediately. Their Charge-up did nothing it was supposed too anyway, in fact it had the opposite effect making the Gauss a short-range preferred weapon because the targets are hard to miss. It also solidified the Gauss Rifle as 2xGauss only since just one is too weak for the clumsiness of the charge-up compared to other options, and the charge-up was supposed to eliminate this too.

Removing the charge-up when just one is equipped would discourage 2xGauss with a great reward and allow average players to have access to the Gauss Rifle on average mechs instead of just the rare 2xGauss capable mechs. It just doesn't fit a MechWarrior game to block single Gauss Rifles, unless you want Laser Vomit which is not MechWarrior at all.

Now the Gauss itself is the most balanced weapon across the IS and Clan faction armories so no, you can't have one have no charge-up while the other retains the charge-up. They are identical except for the tonnage, but Clan mechs have much lower payloads so that evens out for the Gauss.

Some say an IS mech with an XL gets destroyed if the Gauss explodes (CASE should prevent this according to Battle Tech), but an IS mech with a ST engine can lose both Side Torsos and survive and a Clan mech can't, so there is balance of a sort there as well. Many times I have carried a Large Laser in the CT and survived the battle with both side torsos long gone.

#103 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 23 June 2015 - 10:24 AM

View PostLugh, on 23 June 2015 - 07:53 AM, said:

http://<a href="http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=54&l=5dfa9f6c43bbc01d1a911b16c44dcf104d640c1c">ILYA MUROMETS Dual Gauss Standard</a>
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...44dcf104d640c1c

The only thing it's missing is the 89 kph. Which shouldn't be a big deal because you'll be staying with your assaults anyway.

This is the faster kill me instantly clan version:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4315c6c12a554a8

That Cataphract has a slower top speed than a Dire Wolf, without anywhere near the firepower or armor of one. Cauldron Born wins that comparison by a landslide.

Also, you can add more armor to that Cauldron Born by using 3 ERSL instead of 1 ERSL + 2 ERML. You can max out the LT, CT, add 2 more to the head, and bring both legs up to 47.

PS: Your armor allocation is strange. Why didn't you max out CT armor on either mech?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users