Does The Is Gauss Cannon Really Need Charge Up For Is Mechs?

102 replies to this topic

#61 Axeface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 655 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 07:35 AM

Yes, the Gauss rifle needs a charge time.

The Gauss rifle needs some way to balance it, anyone can see this. Any other attempt at balancing it can only turn it into another AC. The charge mechanic is fine - cant you just learn to use it?

#62 Lexx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 740 posts
  • LocationSlung below a mech's arm shooting nothing but dirt

Posted 22 June 2015 - 07:52 AM

I think gauss chargeup time should be reduced for IS mechs, and/or increased for clan mechs. Since their gauss weighs 3 tons less and takes up less space, a longer chargeup time would be a good way to balance things.

Edited by Lexx, 22 June 2015 - 07:52 AM.

#63 Eyepop

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 07:56 AM

View Postspeleomaniac, on 22 June 2015 - 03:27 AM, said:

My argument is, as a same player doing from 200 dmg per game in XL engined Gauss DS to 500-600 with non Gauss STD engine build, for me is a sort of a proof how crap the XL engine + Gauss combination sucks in IS mechs other then Jäger + Catapult, in my opinion it still suck with Jäger while that Gauss and XL is covered with 40 armor in a world that every freaking mech has 40 Alpha.

Actually, it's more proof of how awful you are. I get more than 200 damage per match in a ERPPC Locust PB. Maybe your problem is that you have no idea how to aim.

#64 Mr Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 141 posts
  • LocationIn a Shadowhawk

Posted 22 June 2015 - 07:58 AM

View PostAxeface, on 22 June 2015 - 07:35 AM, said:

Yes, the Gauss rifle needs a charge time.

The Gauss rifle needs some way to balance it, anyone can see this. Any other attempt at balancing it can only turn it into another AC. The charge mechanic is fine - cant you just learn to use it?

It weighs 15 tons and will destroy half your mech when damaged. That seems balanced to me! Really the charge mechanic is ******** the capacitors are pre charged and recharge during cooldown. I hear you on it needs to be balanced and there is also a 3 negative to the guass other than weight other than the fact that is a suicide 'nade. Recoil. Read this;

[color=#000000]During the War of 3039[/color][color=#000000] the 9th Ghost[/color][color=#000000] regiment was engaged with the [/color][color=#000000]Screaming Eagles mercenary[/color][color=#000000] company during the Elidere[/color] [color=#000000]IV[/color][color=#000000] campaign when they modified two of their [/color]Hunchbacks[color=#000000] to carry prototype Gauss Rifles[/color][color=#000000]. Able to cause tremendous damage at ranges beyond their expectation, the new weapons confounded the mercenaries' commander Colonel[/color][color=#000000] Walther Hokala and forced him to surrender the planet. Unfortunately the recoil from firing these powerful weapons often caused the [/color]Hunchback[color=#000000] to stumble or even fall over, and when no solution to the balance problem could be found the the Kuritans were forced to undo these modifications after the war's conclusion.[/color]

That is a quote from here; http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Hunchback
In case you live under a rock that's the Battle Tech wiki.... However mechs like the crab and dire can fire these weapons in pairs without issue. If a jumping Catapract or Jager tried this they'd be on there ass.

Edited by B8hunter, 22 June 2015 - 08:08 AM.

#65 KuroNyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:32 AM

Except there is no recoil, there wasn't recoil in games.
Except here the probability of having a destroyed are so low that you have more risk of losing your side torso.
And before that you could lose it to absolutly anything and it was that much that it was ridiculous.

The charge need to stay, and it was maybe one of the few good stuff they actually did under IGP reign.

#66 zazz0000

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:44 AM

View Postspeleomaniac, on 22 June 2015 - 03:27 AM, said:

That is the thing you are not my opponent.

This is internet, you will not convince me, I will not convince you.

You can start your own thread also.

What matter is not what I think or what you think. What matter is what majority thinks and what PGI thinks.

My argument is, as a same player doing from 200 dmg per game in XL engined Gauss DS to 500-600 with non Gauss STD engine build, for me is a sort of a proof how crap the XL engine + Gauss combination sucks in IS mechs other then Jäger + Catapult, in my opinion it still suck with Jäger while that Gauss and XL is covered with 40 armor in a world that every freaking mech has 40 Alpha.

IDK man, I've been runnin my CTF-3d w/ twin gauss 4ml for a loooong time. XL-255 or so, slow as it can get. To make things more fun, not only does losing a side torso kills you, losing your right arm gauss has a very good chance at causing a chain reaction to your right torso gauss and killing you. Still, a risk I'm more than happy to take, as that mech has performed better for me than anything else, IS or Clan. Maybe it has more to do with the pilot?

#67 Mr Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 141 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:16 AM

View PostKuroNyra, on 22 June 2015 - 08:32 AM, said:

Except there is no recoil, there wasn't recoil in games.
Except here the probability of having a destroyed are so low that you have more risk of losing your side torso.
And before that you could lose it to absolutly anything and it was that much that it was ridiculous.

The charge need to stay, and it was maybe one of the few good stuff they actually did under IGP reign.

The charge still makes no sense... Recoil does and In addition to nerfing the hell out of the gauss/ ac20 jager it will also make things like ac boats wildly in accurate. Just a thought but if a mech is designed around usage of either multiple heavy or light ac ( mauler dire-b and king crab come to mind) then it can absorb more recoil from such weapons.

#68 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:23 AM

What, you want something special just because your gauss rifle weighs 25% more than clans? That is crazy do you know how long it took PGIs brightest minds to come up with a formula were 12=15?

#69 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:35 AM

View PostAgent 0 Fortune, on 22 June 2015 - 09:23 AM, said:

That is crazy do you know how long it took PGIs brightest minds to come up with a formula were 12=15?

0 seconds, as FASA did it back in 1990.

#70 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:45 AM

this again?

ok, then I will answer this again:

The main point of the charge it to simulate the minimum range from TT and make it not better in every range than all the ACs.

Without the charge, you have a 15 point damage ballistic with near instant-hit projectile for nearly no heat. It was very easy to hit with, even back when the Gauss had a projectile speed of 1500 or something (like the PPC before the PPC nerf) and the PPC was faster (I think it had 1800 back then).

Get yourself a mech with a Gauss and some other weapons and jump into testing grounds. Run full speed and shoot, twist and charge to get a hang of it. Thats one round against standing targets and you are good to go.
If you have a Laser, you can use the beam duration as help for timing too.

#71 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:46 AM

do is mechs really need the ability to change engines?

#72 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:05 AM

View PostEscef, on 22 June 2015 - 09:35 AM, said:

0 seconds, as FASA did it back in 1990.

The problem is that FASA actually did think it through and brought forth the concept of asymmetrical balancing. It still ruined battletech, but at lest they understood that clans were significantly more powerful and didn't pretend that 12 IS mechs could take 12 clan mechs.

#73 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:08 AM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 22 June 2015 - 09:46 AM, said:

Based on the clans inability to change Engine size, it's only fair that they remove the engine change mechanic from the IS.

That or give it to the clans too, along with the rest of the modifications that remain locked out FOR NO GOOD REASON.

#74 topgun505

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,625 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:32 AM

I could live with removing the IS gauss charge in exchange for a longer cooldown.

#75 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:55 AM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 22 June 2015 - 09:46 AM, said:

Not really, IMO.

Personally (and fully acknowledging the advantage of hindsight), I would have preferred that PGI had locked-down all of the changes corresponding to factory-grade (that is, Class E & Class F) modifications, as defined in Strategic Operations for standard (e.g. non-OmniTech) BattleMechs of both tech bases.

In other words:
  • Standard BattleMechs would not be able to change myomer type. (not currently applicable to MWO)
  • Standard BattleMechs would not be able to alter CASE arrangements (e.g. CASE could not be added to a 'Mech that doesn't already have it, removed from a 'Mech that does have it, or mved from one location to another within a 'Mech).
  • Standard BattleMechs would not be able to change their internal structure type.
  • Standard BattleMechs would not be able to change their Engine type.
  • Standard BattleMechs would not be able to change their Gyro type. (not currently applicable to MWO)
  • Standard BattleMechs would not be able to change their cockpit type. (not currently applicable to MWO)
Standard BattleMechs would still be able to do the following:
  • change the arrangement/distribution of internal structure critical slots
  • change Heat Sink type
  • change Heat Sink quantity
  • change Engine rating
  • change Armor type
  • change Armor quantity/distribution
  • change Jump Jet quantity/locations
  • change which weapon was mounted in a given hardpoint
There are two additional changes I would make:
  • The Engine rating range for all Standard BattleMechs, regardless of weight class or tech base, would be limited to ±1.2x, relative to the 'Mech's stock Engine rating.
  • All hardpoints would be size-locked relative to the stock weapon, as well as type-locked; essentially, it would follow the hardpoint designed outlined by the "Class A" refit described in StratOps.
OmniMechs would work as they do now, with regard to locked components and unsized hardpoints.

Thoughts?

Edited by Strum Wealh, 22 June 2015 - 11:02 AM.

#76 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:10 AM

View Postspeleomaniac, on 22 June 2015 - 01:09 AM, said:

Are you really sure charge up is there before clans.

I started playing this game around the time people start complained about 2 x Gauss 2 x ER PPC dires and I think they introduce the charge up after that.

Gauss charge up was added before clans, onnly being able to fire 2 at a time came when the DWF was brought in game.

You are wrong with your facts.

#77 Mr Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 141 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:26 AM

View PostLugh, on 22 June 2015 - 10:08 AM, said:

Based on the clans inability to change Engine size, it's only fair that they remove the engine change mechanic from the IS.

That or give it to the clans too, along with the rest of the modifications that remain locked out FOR NO GOOD REASON.

Hey genius, you can change your hardpoints! What did they screw up your genes in the iron womb?

Edited by B8hunter, 22 June 2015 - 11:26 AM.

#78 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:27 AM

View Postmeteorol, on 22 June 2015 - 12:58 AM, said:

If by useless you mean one of the best weapons in game, and for clans the undisputed best ballistic weapon, then yeah that's totally what they did.

Well, I think he means for "some" unusable. Simply because the mechanic can be annoying as hell

#79 ce0815

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:40 AM

View PostAgent 0 Fortune, on 22 June 2015 - 10:05 AM, said:

The problem is that FASA actually did think it through and brought forth the concept of asymmetrical balancing. It still ruined battletech, but at lest they understood that clans were significantly more powerful and didn't pretend that 12 IS mechs could take 12 clan mechs.

Agreed

Also where is my godamn inferno ammunition and LBXs LBX/Standard ammo exchange
Im not asking for the Arrow IV sytstem . But Inferno s Arrow and maybe tripplemyomer are the things that IS had and clans not . ..... MRM s later down the timeline

#80 Aiden Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:58 AM

View PostTitannium, on 22 June 2015 - 12:52 AM, said:

hold the button 2 seconds, then you have 2 seconds to fire, or you wont fire at all.
What a stupid mechanic, devs, you dont know how to balance this weapon right ? So you make it useless.

GJ.

Gauss Useless? Trolololol you're useless!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users