Does The Is Gauss Cannon Really Need Charge Up For Is Mechs?

102 replies to this topic

#41 Ralgas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,628 posts
  • LocationThe Wonderful world of OZ

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:21 AM

View Postspeleomaniac, on 22 June 2015 - 01:09 AM, said:

Are you really sure charge up is there before clans.

I started playing this game around the time people start complained about 2 x Gauss 2 x ER PPC dires and I think they introduce the charge up after that.

NO. It was introduced just after ghost heat, because people circumvented the mechanic by running 2ppc/gauss and dual gauss mechs instead of ac40's. Predated the clans by a long shot

Edited by Ralgas, 22 June 2015 - 03:24 AM.

#42 speleomaniac

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 193 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:27 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 22 June 2015 - 03:05 AM, said:

I sh*t you not, the IM 3 gauss troll is a mech that does 45 damage alpha at virtually any range.

It was the whole reason you can't fire more then 2 for nearly a year now. It was to kill this build. and later on kill the Direwolf 3-4 guass build but let me remind you this was way before PGI even had a concept for Clan mechs and how they will be in game. For all they knew virtually every weapon will be hardwired and clans will kinda peform simular to MW: LL but in MW: O, You can't modify your mech, but it has untouched stats and no nerfs . A possible outcome to clans.

Also escuse me? The King crab has a better profile then a direwolf and the arms not only have minor quirks to them but due to the 'claws' has a natural 10% immunity to damage, if your arms keep popping off I do not know what to say to you, because the direwolf torso pops off even more often... Nano seconds? tell me any mech or 2 mechs or even 3 mechs iwht a legitiment build that isn't a direstart that can take it off in even 1. And being 3 missile mechs at 2 meters range with SRM spam wouldn't be practical...

Also "slower" then the direwolf? the Direwolf is another 100 tonner with a 300 rating engine. It would be the same speed as a direwolf and the XL / other builds I posted would out run a direwolf... DWhy do you think the direwolf is the first mech to die in any game of NASCAR?

Also you say all my 'negativity' ? I was mainly filling you in on all the negativity you forgotten, the key to the debate is a balanced argument, should have thanked me for helping you out make a point or see that a point is false, instead of blame it on someones negativity. Do you want me to mention all the positives of the Inner sphere XL engines and Standard engines have because of all your negativity towards them? hmm?

Also after a ST of a clan mech falls, off, which is common for a direwolf as it has ST's the side of the awesomes Ct's which can even be hit from behind... the Direwolf will loose most of it's ammo as well as it's heatsinks and such, as well as a few engine heatsinks, thus it would have issues maintaining that 1 er ppc it has remaining, also due to how ammo drains from a mech, if the enemy hits you on the left side of the mech, you loose 50% (fresh mech) to 100% (half way through your ammo) on your direwolf if he takes your left side out. having a single ER PPC on an assault? the Cicada can do that better or a spider...

This is why you would more likely see a direwolf with a shield side and dumping all the ammo to the legs, ct, head, and the side the shield is on with few ammo on the shield side. (note: weapons on left side), however this prevents a duel gauss build and devoting that much space for simple shielding is in my mind stupid for a 100 tonner. however that's the meta of the direwolf atm... that or 4 er medium laser + 2 large pulse + 2 gauss rifles, however that's like the elite-players version of the timberwolf meta as you need 3+ keys to use it for firing as well as not die durring NASCAR, LRM's, NARCIng, etc. practically you need a pocket player with ECM to make sure you survive that ordeal and to help ease the pain of using shortcuts for NASCAR.

As I have seen from some units who successfully use the direwolf.

And I have shown some IS 100 tonners that's MORE then on par with the clan example you gave: the Direwolf. both 100 tonners, but King crab does it much more better in every way. What? you trying to compare a 85 tonner to the 100 tonner?
As odd as that is... I could point you the Battlemaster 2C who has more armour then a direwolf could ever have... or the Dragon 1N that out does it in Dakka / ballistics for small arms. However I doubt you want to turn the debate off the topic of Gauss rifles for those match ups to be valid for the debate at hand.

Also you say you need 1.5S face time, however the SAME applies to a clan mech. You need to CHARGE your gauss rifle before peaking.

Look at the jagermech, due to it's high mounts and such, it only needs to expose as I said above less then 10% to the enemy to fire for literally 0.5 seconds if you are good at timing (my friend only needs 0.16 seconds to fire off his gauss and hit a CT of an enemy mech in a jager from recordings and on reaction time rests we threw at him online he scored sometimes after 30 seconds of practicing under 0.12 seconds reaction time... however 0.3 to 0.5 is the average and for a game that's quite a bit, especially considering that quite a few people have 200-300 ping meaning you can charge, poke out, shoot, and go back behind cover before a person even has a chance to see you and hit you)

Also it owuld not be a 100m min range, it would be a 60m min range as part of TT... yep, this weapon as well as AC 2 and 5 had around 60m min range. to prevent snipping weapons used in brawling. This may be alright, but would be a bit confusing... I would welcome this though.

Also for your XL issue: the thing is not many people aim for a ST unless it's damaged and most likely from a rookie mistake on the shooter or hitboxes messed up or out of proportion, or a indirect wepaon like arty, lrm's, srm's, lbx, or you rolled your armour (which you SHOULD do in a Victor, that's like first step of usign a victor!), or what ever other reason: most people aim at the CT.

they only aim at your ST when it's in a worse condition then CT.

Clan mech suffer too from ST explosion, not a instant death, but in the form of major heat penalties and later on speed and movement penalties. Which if you compare to a IS standard engine (which is a fair debate as not all clan mechs or even most clan mechs have endo steel or a good sized engine or hardwired equipment that in some cases are useless, to the point all your weight savings is put towards an over sized standard engine that is more fragile in a IS one for eg)

Look at the Nova for eg... the direwolf, the executioner... the summoner, etc... do you think it has the average benifits of an XL engine? when they lack ES, or sometimes both ES and FF?
How many times have you choosed FF over XL engine?

Anyway, to see if I can prove against your point I made a standard engine heavy mech with duel gauss: JM6-A
Average speed, is at least on par with most assaults and some heavies. On top of that it has MORE ammo then the Mad Dog C and 5 more shots then the mad dog C, if you land all your hits in range, you would get 675 damage in your game, rather above average I would suppose, assuming a 25% miss chance and depleation of ammo that's a 500 damage game rounded down at least coming your way. Still rather decent.

Also single gauss builds? I can name PLENTY of builds for those.

My zeus, highlander, victor, banshee, king crab, stalker, battlemaster, for a while my catapult K2, and my Hunchback as well as my centurion and shadowhawk ran 1 gauss with a standard engine plenty fine and in most cases on par with clan counterparts.

however I learned the catapult is beast with an XL engine reguardless of build as well as the dragon, so those are 2 very good XL mechs that behave if like they had LFE's (aka clan xl engines) but not hardwired...

You didn't hit a nerve. just throwing the counter arguement and using this thread instead of making a new one called "does the clan gauss cannon really need charge up for clan mechs" =P

what you did to deserve this and that wall of text?

Ignore one of the most IMPORTANT rules of a debate, which is ballance.

if you do not do it yourself, your oponent will do it for you and then does his own. Which tips the scale in his favour and not yours.

As not only does the person in the debate know the "problem" more then you, but also has more of an idea on the solution and how to execute it over you in a situation like this...

Trust me I am not a politician here to robe you of money when you are not looking. :ph34r: Just here talking about pixel guns in a pixel game in a pixel world that I am a bit obsessed over for the past decade.

That is the thing you are not my opponent.

This is internet, you will not convince me, I will not convince you.

You can start your own thread also.

What matter is not what I think or what you think. What matter is what majority thinks and what PGI thinks.

My argument is, as a same player doing from 200 dmg per game in XL engined Gauss DS to 500-600 with non Gauss STD engine build, for me is a sort of a proof how crap the XL engine + Gauss combination sucks in IS mechs other then Jäger + Catapult, in my opinion it still suck with Jäger while that Gauss and XL is covered with 40 armor in a world that every freaking mech has 40 Alpha.

#43 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:29 AM

View Postspeleomaniac, on 22 June 2015 - 03:27 AM, said:

You can start your own thread also.

What matter is not what I think or what you think. What matter is what majority thinks and what PGI thinks.

My argument is, as a same player doing from 200 dmg per game in XL engined Gauss DS to 500-600 with non Gauss STD engine build, for me is a sort of a proof how crap the XL engine + Gauss combination sucks in IS mechs other then Jäger + Catapult, in my opinion it still suck with Jäger while that Gauss and XL is covered with 40 armor in a world that every freaking mech has 40 Alpha.

Actually it doesn't matter what any of us think. Only PGIs Opinion matters to them and THEIR game. The GM ALWAYS has the final say.

#44 KuroNyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:29 AM

So get lost, you said Charge mechanic was here because of the clans.

We prooved you it wasn't the case and explained you why it was here.
But of course your doing the deaf and can't understand that.

#45 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:34 AM

I started playing this game around the time people start complained about 2 x Gauss 2 x ER PPC dires and I think they introduce the charge up after that.

Yes, we are quite sure.

Specifically, the charge-up (officially, "Gauss Fire Delay") was introduced in the September 03, 2013 patch, while the Clans were not implemented until June 17, 2014 (as noted from the first destructions of an IS 'Mech by a Clan 'Mech, and vice versa).

In other words, the Gauss Fire Delay predates the implementation of the Clans by a bit over 9 months. :rolleyes:

For reference, speleomaniac, your profile states, "Member Since 06 Sep 2014" - the day after the one-year anniversary of the implementation of the Gauss Fire Delay, and a bit less than three months after the implementation of the Clan 'Mechs.

Edited by Strum Wealh, 22 June 2015 - 03:36 AM.

#46 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:37 AM

This my shock you, but as reasonable adults you can in fact have a conversation on the internet, actually listen, and change your opinion as a result of what you learned.

Ranting and ignoring others isn't helpful for anyone, particularly when it's shown that your are demonstrably incorrect.

well, this isn't a democracy, so what the majority thinks is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is what PGI thinks.

it's proof of nothing other than that player being bad at spreading damage. .

Sadly, there are lots of bad players who are too arrogant to take a moment to listen and learn, and instead just loudly proclaim things to be bad without understanding anything.

#47 ce0815

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:41 AM

Well if i rember correctly Gauss chargeup was for breaking sync between Gauss and ErPPC .
Nothing wrong with the chargeup but the mechanic is garbage . Just change it in a way that gauss is firing on button relase after charge up .That would break the sync too but does not mess around with aiming .

Also its the way mw4 did it .

Edited by ce0815, 22 June 2015 - 04:16 AM.

#48 Jaeger Gonzo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:41 AM

Charge mechanic was introduced to nerf pop tarting with gauss and 2 PPC. Of course it was fail attempt. Only heavy JJ nerv helped here. But they keep it realizing that 4 gauss Dires are coming... So 60 PPFLD was simply unthinkable.

#49 speleomaniac

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 193 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:28 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 22 June 2015 - 03:37 AM, said:

This my shock you, but as reasonable adults you can in fact have a conversation on the internet, actually listen, and change your opinion as a result of what you learned.

Well funny I never experienced that in my 25 years of internet experience.

And nobody showed and proofed me anything, you are speaking like we 2+2=4 science here.

View PostStrum Wealh, on 22 June 2015 - 03:34 AM, said:

For reference, speleomaniac, your profile states, "Member Since 06 Sep 2014" - the day after the one-year anniversary of the implementation of the Gauss Fire Delay, and a bit less than three months after the implementation of the Clan 'Mechs.

Yeah about right, I told you I started playing this game during the 2xGauss 2xER PPC dire discussions.

And so?

View PostKuroNyra, on 22 June 2015 - 03:29 AM, said:

So get lost, you said Charge mechanic was here because of the clans.

We prooved you it wasn't the case and explained you why it was here.
But of course your doing the deaf and can't understand that.

Oh yes, sir, I definitely take orders from you.

Welcome to internet.

In my opinion Gauss charge up is mainly there to prevent 50-60 pinpoint combined 2xGauss x 2 ER PPC clan alphas.

Specially considering no jump sniping left in the game.

Edited by speleomaniac, 22 June 2015 - 04:35 AM.

#50 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 05:45 AM

Even if this derailed into a troll thread, I just want to add a little detail - the Limitation that you can only charge 2 Gauss wasn't because of the Ilya but the then incoming Direwolf wh can mount 4 of those guns without being a joke build.

Still you can see this build ingame now and then, so even with the charge and the 2guns limit it is still viable. Says enough how potent that weapon still is, imho.

#51 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 22 June 2015 - 05:54 AM

View Postspeleomaniac, on 22 June 2015 - 04:28 AM, said:

I'm not surprised. You've shown a truly remarkable resistance to actually listening to anyone, despite being completely wrong.

Perhaps you should consider that maybe - just maybe - the reason you never see people having reasonable discussions and learning is because you are the one preventing it?

In my opinion Gauss charge up is mainly there to prevent 50-60 pinpoint combined 2xGauss x 2 ER PPC clan alphas.

Specially considering no jump sniping left in the game.
It had nothing to do with jump sniping, it was purely due to gauss+(er) PPC synchronization. People often link them because that was ALSO at the height of the poptarting days, but even if poptarting wasn't a thing PGI wanted to break up the gauss PPC pairing.

The thing here is... Well, your opinion is simply objectively wrong.

PGI implemented the Gauss Charge mechanic 9 months before Clans where a thing, and they where entirely up front about WHY they where implementing it. . They'd even asked the community prior to its implementation what their opinion was on how to desynchronize the two weapons. This was the solution PGI settled on.

There is no wondering or guessing here, no opinions. This is just fact. PGI discussed additional actions to address 2gauss2erppc DWF's(specifically preventing more than 2 gauss/PPC's from firing at a time - the even made the code, but never turned it on), but it was later deemed unnecessary after the great PPC nerfs.

#52 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 22 June 2015 - 06:18 AM

View Postspeleomaniac, on 22 June 2015 - 12:41 AM, said:

Lets be honest here.

Gauss charge up is there because of Clans ...

Did you somehow take a career in revisionist history?

View PostHit the Deck, on 22 June 2015 - 12:46 AM, said:

Assumming that if they removed the IS Gauss' charge up mechanism, the cooldown has to be increased. Do you agree with this?

Yes, a 90 second IS gauss cooldown should be enough. That way IS folks would only ever need 1 ton of ammo.

#53 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 22 June 2015 - 06:34 AM

http://mwomercs.com/...40-03-sep-2013/

Gauss charge mechanic added 03 SEP 2013

http://mwomercs.com/...lease-schedule/

Clan mechs released 3rd full week of June 2014.

Almost a year apart.

#54 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 22 June 2015 - 06:36 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 22 June 2015 - 01:56 AM, said:

You say that as if I would actually care what the whiners want Winters. I supported a reduction on convergence over any type of trigger delay. But I can see the range limitation it causes with the Gauss & the same would work on a PPC for the same reason.

It may not be the best way to "fix" the convergence problem but the mechanic fits the weapon(s).

Yes cause at 60-90 meters out you just can't brawl can you?

"Brawling" range... is max effective range of the Mlas. Since the Mlas is your baseline "workhorse" weapon.

So yes, 60-90 would easily be considered within brawl range.

#55 Mr Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 141 posts
  • LocationIn a Shadowhawk

Posted 22 June 2015 - 06:37 AM

Remove the charge across the board... See the ***** reason the gauss rifle turns into a suicide grenade when it gets destroyed is because the capacitors are pre-charged... and the weapons cooldown is them recharging. Oh also reloading the hyper-velocity 150 mm slug.
And it says nothing about a charge mechanic here http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Gauss_Rifle so...

Edited by B8hunter, 22 June 2015 - 06:40 AM.

#56 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 22 June 2015 - 06:43 AM

View PostFlash Frame, on 22 June 2015 - 06:36 AM, said:

"Brawling" range... is max effective range of the Mlas.

Max effective or max optimal? I have to ask because some people seriously do not know that MLs can still scratch paint at over 500 meters. EFFECTIVE range is 540 meters, optimal is 270.

#57 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 22 June 2015 - 06:55 AM

View PostB8hunter, on 22 June 2015 - 06:37 AM, said:

Remove the charge across the board... See the ***** reason the gauss rifle turns into a suicide grenade when it gets destroyed is because the capacitors are pre-charged... and the weapons cooldown is them recharging. Oh also reloading the hyper-velocity 150 mm slug.
And it says nothing about a charge mechanic here http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Gauss_Rifle so...

As I've said before I like the charge mechanic, so I want to keep that, but from what you say it would be appropriate and interesting if the rifle only exploded if critted while charged/charging.

I seriously don't understand why people dislike the chargeup, it creates some diversity in how weapons function.

I'd love it if there was some more special firing mechanics, like a very powerful ballistic weapon that you had to stand still to fire etc.

Or maybe weapons with a chargeup that applied heat during charge instead of release, PPCs could work that way for example and be more powerful to balance it, instead of a firing window they would continue heating up your mech until you release the shot.

Edited by Sjorpha, 22 June 2015 - 07:03 AM.

#58 CrushLibs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 546 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 07:21 AM

The CTF-3D was the main problem

It would JJ up pop you with 1 gauss and 2 PPC and then rinse and repeat.

PGI put in charging to offset JJ/snap shooting ,, people started using a macro to time both to shoot at same time ,, PGI then messed with flight speeds to kill that tactic off.

I agree 100% the gauss should not have a charge up. Its annoying as heck and puts noobs behind a serious learning cure.

decrease Gauss to 1100m/s and put PPCs back to 2,000 m/s and don't re-adjust JJs to much.

#59 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 22 June 2015 - 07:24 AM

And nobody showed and proofed me anything, you are speaking like we 2+2=4 science here.

Oh yes, sir, I definitely take orders from you.

View PostStrum Wealh, on 22 June 2015 - 03:34 AM, said:

Yes, we are quite sure.

Specifically, the charge-up (officially, "Gauss Fire Delay") was introduced in the September 03, 2013 patch, while the Clans were not implemented until June 17, 2014 (as noted from the first destructions of an IS 'Mech by a Clan 'Mech, and vice versa).

In other words, the Gauss Fire Delay predates the implementation of the Clans by a bit over 9 months. :rolleyes:

You were saying kido?

Edited by KuroNyra, 22 June 2015 - 07:24 AM.

#60 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 22 June 2015 - 07:26 AM

Yeah about right, I told you I started playing this game during the 2xGauss 2xER PPC dire discussions.

And so?

It further reinforces the main point of my post (which is reiterated in Escef's post): that the implementation of the Gauss Fire Delay, the implementation of the Clan 'Mechs, and when you started playing are each several months apart from one another, thus answering your question ("Are you really sure charge up [was] there before Clans?") AND pointing out that your claim that there is a causal relationship between the GFD and the Clans is, at the absolute best, highly dubious.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users