Does The Is Gauss Cannon Really Need Charge Up For Is Mechs?

102 replies to this topic

#1 speleomaniac

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 193 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:41 AM

Lets be honest here.

Gauss charge up is there because of Clans. Direwolfs that can load 3 Gauss or 2 Gauss and 2 ER PPC.

The thing is to load Guass cannon you have to go most of the time XL engines and clans are not paying that big of a penalty to load XL engines.

At the WE I try to run Dragon Slayer with the classical poptart setup Gauss and 2 PPC for 35 Alpha and today game 35 Alpha is really joke for the risk you take in a 80 ton XL engined Assault. I can hit in my Firestarter for 30 Alpha all the time with a 30 tonner.

So why the big fuzz about Gauss/2 PPC in 80 ton XL Assault.

When I try to run this setup with DS I could not pass 200 damage because of the face time you get with Gauss charge up gives the enemy the opportunity to concentrate to side torso and all the broken jump animation can prevent so much damage.

When I switch to STD engine and some weird setups I directly jumped to 500-600 damage with DS.

When I see Jägermech with Dual Gauss with my Timbie one single 60 Alpha to arm most of the time will blow the arm/Gauss/side torso. In my opinion a 35 alpha does not pay this level of risk.

They will not change how the XL engine behaves in IS mech but I think they should really consider changing the Gauss charge up for IS mechs.

I don't know any IS mech then can load 2 Gauss cannons and 2 ER PPC and be as dangerous as Direwolf. So for clans charge up should stay but XL vulnerability and Gauss charge up is too much for IS.

#2 meteorol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:45 AM

But if we are honest, the charge was there long before clan mechs, so it can't be there because of clans. The PPC curbstomp was (among other reasons) because of the DW.
They even made a thread if they should nerfnuke PPCs or link PPCs and Gauss for some kind of cooldown on the DW back then.

#3 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:46 AM

Assumming that if they removed the IS Gauss' charge up mechanism, the cooldown has to be increased. Do you agree with this?

#4 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:47 AM

No, the charge was in far longer than Clams have been.

It was made explosive and given the charge for it to have an actual downside. It was a 1 heat AC15 previously; it was the only ballistic ever taken.

IS do have more Dual Gauss robots, but that won't always hold true.

#5 kesmai

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Lol @ op. So much win.

next topic: Clan flamers are pay to win.

#6 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

View PostHit the Deck, on 22 June 2015 - 12:46 AM, said:

Assumming that if they removed the IS Gauss' charge up mechanism, the cooldown has to be increased. Do you agree with this?

You wouldn't enjoy the 1.3s Grid Iron Gauss rifle?

#7 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:48 AM

View Postspeleomaniac, on 22 June 2015 - 12:41 AM, said:

Lets be honest here.

Gauss charge up is there because of Clans. Direwolfs that can load 3 Gauss or 2 Gauss and 2 ER PPC.

The thing is to load Guass cannon you have to go most of the time XL engines and clans are not paying that big of a penalty to load XL engines.

At the WE I try to run Dragon Slayer with the classical poptart setup Gauss and 2 PPC for 35 Alpha and today game 35 Alpha is really joke for the risk you take in a 80 ton XL engined Assault. I can hit in my Firestarter for 30 Alpha all the time with a 30 tonner.

When I try to run this setup with DS I could not pass 200 damage because of the face time you get with Gauss charge up gives the enemy the opportunity to concentrate to side torso and all the broken jump animation can prevent so much damage.

When I switch to STD engine and some weird setups I directly jumped to 500-600 damage with DS.

When I see Jägermech with Dual Gauss with my Timbie one single 60 Alpha to arm most of the time will blow the arm/Gauss/side torso. In my opinion a 35 alpha does not pay this level of risk.

They will not change how the XL engine behaves in IS mech but I think they should really consider changing the Gauss charge up for IS mechs.

I don't know any IS mech then can load 2 Gauss cannons and 2 ER PPC and be as dangerous as Direwolf. So for clans charge up should stay but XL vulnerability and Gauss charge up is too much for IS.

Actually Gauss charge is there because it was not only being utilized in large numbers, but was being overused in brawling situations.

I don't like the charge mechanic at all, I feel it's immersion breaking and an annoying feature [which could have EASILY been fixed by just adding a god damned min range] but I understand WHY it's there... and the why, has absolutely 0 to do with the clans. as the charge mechanic was introduced far before the clans were released.

#8 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:52 AM

hold the button 2 seconds, then you have 2 seconds to fire, or you wont fire at all.
What a stupid mechanic, devs, you dont know how to balance this weapon right ? So you make it useless.

GJ.

#9 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:58 AM

View PostTitannium, on 22 June 2015 - 12:52 AM, said:

So you make it useless.

If by useless you mean one of the best weapons in game, and for clans the undisputed best ballistic weapon, then yeah that's totally what they did.

#10 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:59 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 22 June 2015 - 12:47 AM, said:

You wouldn't enjoy the 1.3s Grid Iron Gauss rifle?

Well, since the GI is already overquirked to begin with, I think we can't really complain if it got this treatment.

#11 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 22 June 2015 - 01:05 AM

Lets be honest here.

Gauss charge up is there because of Clans.

Stopped reading there, no it isn't. The charge up on gauss rifles was there before Clans came along, and it was to solve a different problem that would come back again with a vengeance if the charge up was removed for either side.

#12 speleomaniac

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 193 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 01:09 AM

Are you really sure charge up is there before clans.

I started playing this game around the time people start complained about 2 x Gauss 2 x ER PPC dires and I think they introduce the charge up after that.

#13 -Vompo-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 532 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 22 June 2015 - 01:10 AM

If you have to complain that a gauss sniper mech like the jaeger is in trouble cause it has to stay in view for too long you need to play it differently. Charge the damn gauss while you are coming to view and fire the very instant you see the enemy and move back. Your exposure time should be much lower than any laser mech out there.

Edited by VompoVompatti, 22 June 2015 - 01:11 AM.

#14 speleomaniac

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 193 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 01:14 AM

View PostPjwned, on 22 June 2015 - 01:05 AM, said:

Stopped reading there, no it isn't. The charge up on gauss rifles was there before Clans came along, and it was to solve a different problem that would come back again with a vengeance if the charge up was removed for either side.

It was either there for clans or jump shooting.

Jump shooting is already dead and can't be back the way the jump jets implemented at the moment.

View PostVompoVompatti, on 22 June 2015 - 01:10 AM, said:

If you have to complain that a gauss sniper mech like the jaeger is in trouble cause it has to stay in view for too long you need to play it differently. Charge the damn gauss while you are coming to view and fire the very instant you see the enemy and move back. Your exposure time should be much lower than any laser mech out there.

You know to be charge up before you have to know where is the red rectangle, with so many ECM mechs most of the matches I don't see any rectangles.

I don't have that much problem with my Jägers because with the high mounts you can hide but DS with that low mount Gauss it is pain in a certain location.

#15 Black Ivan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 01:16 AM

The charge up for Gauss came long before the Clans apperaed on the horizon. It was originally implemented to keep down Jump Sniping or other very high damage then Meta builds.

#16 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 22 June 2015 - 01:22 AM

Lets be honest here.

Gauss charge up is there to desync Gauss PPC builds. There was much whining because 35 points pin point. So it is not because of Clans we have a charge up.

Now Gauss also has a 60 meter minimum range for both Clans and IS. That is nicely simulated by the short charge up. Makes it a bit difficult to just snap off a shot at something close. And though I'm not a fan of the mechanic... it does fit the way the weapon is meant to work.

#17 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 22 June 2015 - 01:25 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 22 June 2015 - 01:22 AM, said:

Gauss charge up is there to desync Gauss PPC builds. There was much whining because 35 points pin point. So it is not because of Clans we have a charge up.

Now Gauss also has a 60 meter minimum range for both Clans and IS. That is nicely simulated by the short charge up. Makes it a bit difficult to just snap off a shot at something close. And though I'm not a fan of the mechanic... it does fit the way the weapon is meant to work.

Wait, what? There's a minimum range for gauss?

#18 Jaeger Gonzo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 01:26 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 22 June 2015 - 01:22 AM, said:

So introduce same mechanics for PPC, AC5 and AC2 then.

View PostKiiyor, on 22 June 2015 - 01:25 AM, said:

Wait, what? There's a minimum range for gauss?

it should be
AC5 and AC2 is supposed to have min range as well

#19 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 22 June 2015 - 01:28 AM

View PostJaeger Gonzo, on 22 June 2015 - 01:26 AM, said:

it should be

I understand it should, if it were referring to BT rules, but the concept is silly.

#20 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 22 June 2015 - 01:29 AM

View PostJaeger Gonzo, on 22 June 2015 - 01:26 AM, said:

it should be

I wouldn't complain, but I know others would. AC5 and AC2 do not require a recharging of Magnetic Capacitors and as such really don't have a "reason" to have a trigger delay.

PPC... yes charging capacitors are there as well, and could use a 2 second delay. 90 meter minimum after all. ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users