Blackjack Guide?

13 replies to this topic

#1 DA BAWSS

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 08:56 PM

Hello!
In need of a 45 ton mech, I turn to you, the community for help.
I really don't have much of a selection, as the Vindicator was a rather bad mech according to most. So I plan to use this in CW alongside a Centurion and Jagermech.

could someone please give me a rundown on the variants, what they're good at, and general tips for them?
I understand they're like miniature jagermechs.

I have been looking mostly at the BJ-1X and BJ-3.

Plz help

#2 process

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:06 PM

The Vindicator suffers from subpar hardpoints, but other than that it's very agile and survivable.

As for Blackjacks, excellent choice.

BJ-1X is a beast, both due to it's high engine cap and ability to energy boat. Run it with an XL280+ and your favorite lasers.

BJ-1 sets itself apart due to it's ballistic hardpoints and jumpjets. Since it's slow, stay with heavier mechs and provide support.

I find the other variants not very impressive. The Arrow is fun if you're into machineguns, and the BJ-3 primarily for PPC jumping. The BJ-1DC is probably the worst of the bunch, being slow and unable to jump.

#3 Nullmancer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:01 PM

I describe the Blackjack and how I feel about it in this thread, couple of posts down

http://mwomercs.com/...ge__fromsearch_

#4 The Mech behind you

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationGermany, Northern Baden-Württemberg

Posted 25 June 2015 - 12:35 AM

The Blackjack is my most capable medium Mech and all the C-Bills variants have the best KDR of all of my mediums. Only the Arrow can't keep up.

First, the Blackjack is XL friendly. It's also tiny for it's 45t and harder to hit than the Vindicator. It's also suprisingly mobile for its engine cap. Brawling or backstabbing works great with this mech.

BJ-1:
XL 235, Jump Jets, AC 20 in one of the arms and 3 Medium Lasers.
I prefer 2 MPLs in the torsi so I can strip the armor off the other arm for more ammo or Jump Jets. This Blackjack has a mighty punch with its AC 20 and can ruin someones day. Even if that one is much bigger than you.

BJ-1DC:
XL 235, no JJ, 2 AC 5, 2 Medium Laser
Many players run a dual AC 2 build with this, but I prefer AC 5s for a bigger punch. This Blackjack can dish out damage at range AND being lethal at close range, but I would prefer to keep some distance because it's not as effective as the BJ-1 or BJ-1X at close range.

BJ-1X:
XL 295, no JJ, 8 Medium Laser (6 ML + more DHS)
Normally this Blackjack is equipped with 8 Medium Laser but I prefer only 6 (all in the arms) and more DHS for a total of 20 DHS. This granted me a lot of easy kills on the hot maps as my opponents tend to overheat fast in brawls. It almost never overheats in cooler maps even tho I'm alpha striking those 6 ML all the time. Hint: With it's high speed I'd suggest you keep moving in a fight as long as there's a gun pointed at you. You would be surprised how much gunfire misses you.

BJ-3:
XL 235, Jump Jets, 2 PPC, 2 Medium Laser (both in one arm)
Just a common PPC sniper with Jump Jets. The high arms help a lot. Having both Medium Lasers in one arm means you can shield with the other.

The Arrow:
XL 235, Jump Jets, 2 Large Pulse Laser, 6 Machine Guns (+1 Small Laser)
2 LPL and 6 MGs is a common build. Many players run the stock loadout with it's single LPL + 2 ML. I prefer to put a Small Laser into the CT and assign it to the MG fire group, because I'm unsatisfied with the firepower of 6 MGs.

#5 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:25 AM

The 1X is a superb peeking mech, one of the best in the game. It has great high hardpoints, even for the torso lasers, great acceleration, ludicrously short burn time, and a decent turn of speed. It does however have fragile torsos (even buffed as they are) and has poor torso twist, making it a sub-par brawler...

...so don't brawl in it. Play it like a short range Jagermech. Make sure you hang out in areas where your team can support you, and practice peeking and firing as quickly as possible with as little exposure as possible. It's nice to drop in the Forest Colony training grounds and practice your peeking there. If you time it right, you can fire and be back in cover almost exactly after your lasers finish flaying your target. If you practice enough, you can even out-poke mechs that know exactly where you are. They'll have their crosshair ready, prepared to fire, and you'll have nailed them before their lasers finish a third of their burn. You can safely out peek gauss mechs if they aren't pre-charging.

It calls for good situational awareness though - as peek fights will often see you stationary, and by extension a juicy, juicy target. Pretty much any mech can ruin your day with a steady handed alpha, so make sure you don't fixate on your targets, and try to avoid being the attention of enemy mechs.

How though? Easy: refrain from exploratory peeking, especially if your spider sense is tingling. Don't let curiosity get the best of you - instead, peek against a target someone else has R'ed, poke at something you see on seismic (hint - INVEST IN SEISMIC) or lurk in ambush where someone else is likely to approach. Ambushes are great, especially if the enemy isn't facing you. You can usually get a full alpha in, followed by a poke or two while they wonder what hit them.

I run three main builds with these:

WubJack - while not as awesome as it was before it's WUB was so cruelly removed, it's still OK, and the LPL's give you some decent range. I've min/maxed the crap out of this though - so if you're struggling with survival, you can drop your engine rating a little for some more armour. I keep the LPL's in the same arm because the convergence is FAR better there, and I find it far easier to apply concentrated damage.

POKEJack(STD engine) - Trades some speed for survivability. I hated it for a start, because it wasn't decked out with WUB, but it's grown on me quite a bit. I bind the weapons thusly: all the LHS weapons to LMB, the right to RMB, the arms to a third mouse button, and all on chain to a fourth. That way, poking is as simple as clicking for the side you are on.

More META MLASJack Sacrifices survivability for more speed and a little WUB. If you're running at full speed, it can be surprisingly survivable as a mobile striker also. Just plan out a bombing run, charge and blast everything you see, and never stop.

I really love the BlackJack, and prior to the LPL nerf it was my favourite mech. There are probably better mediums out there, but this one suits my playstyle perfectly. it is still a light medium, however - so get used to the idea of feast or famine. For every match where you flay the armour from the bones of your enemies like a ghostly friggin surgeon, you'll likely have another where a DireWhale or MetaCat one shots you.

Think of yourself as a traditional rogue more than a warrior and you'll do fine.

#6 Shadey99

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 04:10 AM

I actually do amazingly well in my BJ-3, though my BJ-3 is 2xPPC and 4xSPL. Strike at mid to long range with the PPCs and use the SPLs up close. While it takes some good piloting, I've managed to down Direwhales one on one with it. I do tend to forget I have jjs though...

#7 DA BAWSS

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:00 AM

Thank you all so much!

At first glance I figured the Blackjack was a sniper mech. But now I know it can be much more.

I'm probably going to buy the 1X. But can someone give me a good STD engine build?
I can manage heat as low as 35%.

#8 Shadey99

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:37 AM

You can do something like this BJ-1X if you want to run with a standard engine.That's about optimal for critical space vs engine/DHS load with a standard.

#9 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 04:52 PM

The BJ-1 is my current most played mech, its just fun to make a Direwolf or Kingcrab run from you, in a 45t medium. I play to the quirks and go almost stock. I try to find a point where the enemy has to come thru and I have a bit of cover and I wail on their faces as they try to come thru. Narrower the pinch point the better. Amazing hardpoints for peeking and taking very little damage. Aim for the face and they will be so blind they can't hit you. Most people believe post nerf AC@ isn't viable, with the quirks, on this mech they are.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e119633da3c0cff

My BJ-1DC trades the jumpjets and some armor for a 3rd MPL and another 1/2t of ammo. AC2 range and MPL range modules top them off.

The cannons arm mounted and jj means you can waste the top of their head and take 0 return fire.

If someone rushes you, stand your ground and aim for the face, they usually make a sharp turn.

Truly OP 45 tonner.

The 1x doesn't deliver the lols thinking about the look on that guys face. Laser spam is common. I run it like this
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f7262272040fc3d

Ive tried xl 245 2x ERLL 4x MPL or xl260 3x ERLL

Hang with the fatties and end other peoples fights. Set the MPLs on chainfire and the ML paired. Also an excellent Light Killer.

Edited by Tractor Joe, 26 June 2015 - 04:54 PM.

#10 Jorunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 136 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:54 PM

Recent convert to the Blackjacks and started off terrible as I'm an Assault/Heavy pilot and the mediums were just too fragile. Well I've played extensively in Eliting them and have found the Blackjacks to be amazing little killing machines. The BJ-1X first then the BJ-1DC with Gauss.

Edited by Jorunn, 04 July 2015 - 09:20 AM.

#11 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:53 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8ac2418aa2a8333
Speed is life, so the speedy BJ must have its max engine.

What about poptarting? BJ, jumping jack.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6e4cfce60fae947
Maximum JJ, max cooling eff.

And then the classic Arrow 6mg+lpl.
Or, since mg is kinda meh, now...it's good to bring maximum wubbiness:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c70d9cedd80cbfb

Have fun!

#12 Jorunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 136 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:22 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 03 July 2015 - 11:53 PM, said:

What about poptarting? BJ, jumping jack.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6e4cfce60fae947
Maximum JJ, max cooling eff.

Running dual PPCs without any other weapons is questionable as you are helpless under 90m which happens a lot toward the end game.

#13 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:18 PM

View PostJorunn, on 04 July 2015 - 10:22 AM, said:

Running dual PPCs without any other weapons is questionable as you are helpless under 90m which happens a lot toward the end game.

yep, it can be risky, but with 89 kph and staying close to teamates is good to solve that.

I prefer so, because removing DHS and adding energy weapons would make worse the cooling eff., which is very important in poptarting ppc mechs.

#14 Shadey99

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 07:03 PM

My BJ-3 uses the paired PPCs at mid-long range and 4 SPLs up close to cover for the 90m minimum range. Of course with SPL range being slightly higher than 90m you can actually fire PPC->SPL->PPC at around 120-90m without overheating on maps outside of Terra Therma and other hot maps. Also the SPLs can do 16 points of nearly pinpoint damage out to nearly 120m for 'only' ~8 heat and they can fire almost twice as fast as the PPCs (which do 20 points of damage and generate 18 heat per double shot). Add to that the ability to jump and attack from 'odd' angles and increased PPC velocity and you have an agile (If not super fast) striker that can peak better than most mechs allowing you to use cover much more effectively.

While not every game goes my way, my BJ-3 certainly doesn't let my teams down...
Posted Image
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users