Losing Streaks

45 replies to this topic

#1 Poisoner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 440 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:45 AM

There has been a trend of measuring epeen by comparing losing streaks and it's got me thinking. At what point do you become responsible for your own losing streak?

#2 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:50 AM

Well, it is the MM's job to keep you at 50%. And you can't control your teammates. Basically, you could get 4 kills and 1000 DMG and lose.

#3 Mudhutwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:55 AM

View PostPoisoner, on 25 June 2015 - 05:45 AM, said:

There has been a trend of measuring epeen by comparing losing streaks and it's got me thinking. At what point do you become responsible for your own losing streak?

At what point can posters complete a thought?

That's what I want to know.

#4 Piney II

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:55 AM

I feel responsible for all of my losing streaks. With losses, I find I've usually contributed to the cause.

I have played some great matches and still lost............but that is not the norm. I'll never rage in chat or VOIP about the team. Sometimes, s*&t happens.........

When I hit a bad run of matches, I usually change mechs and try a different tack, or I'll just take a break.

Edited by Piney, 25 June 2015 - 05:56 AM.

#5 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:58 AM

After a 12-pack?

#6 Poisoner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 440 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 06:20 AM

View PostMudhutwarrior, on 25 June 2015 - 05:55 AM, said:

At what point can posters complete a thought?

That's what I want to know.

Don't be a jerk. I said what I had to say. This isn't a topic that requires much elaboration.

#7 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:02 AM

You are never responsible for losing streaks, because every single loss is caused by synchdroppers, exploiters and cheaters. :ph34r:

Edited by meteorol, 25 June 2015 - 07:02 AM.

#8 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:05 AM

View Postmeteorol, on 25 June 2015 - 07:02 AM, said:

You are never responsible for losing streaks, because every single loss is caused by synchdroppers, exploiters and cheaters. :ph34r:
and PGI, don't forget PGI.

#9 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:19 AM

View PostPoisoner, on 25 June 2015 - 06:20 AM, said:

Don't be a jerk. I said what I had to say. This isn't a topic that requires much elaboration.

It's a topic that diverts from the issue. Your right it doesn't require much elaboration. Every time a touchy subject is running on the forums we get one to several threads like this. In a political sense for professional posters it has an explanation all spelled out in their training.

If a subject comes up in a forums that needs to be squelched one of the first tactics is to post nonsensical items in rapid succession to dilute the conversation by diversion. No one wants to read through multiple stupid posts to get to reasonable ones. One of the next tactics is to start threads that have similar subject matter but no real items to discuss of value thereby pushing the contested thread down on the page.

Pretty much anytime you see a contested thread you will soon see many BS threads started.

Everybody but the intentionally ignorant knows these tactics by now.

Edited by Mudhutwarrior, 25 June 2015 - 07:19 AM.

#10 KodiakGW

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:42 AM

View PostPoisoner, on 25 June 2015 - 06:20 AM, said:

This isn't a topic that requires much elaboration.

No, but this is a topic that requires you to experience the "Elo Hell" of those that are doing the complaining before passing judgement.

So, I offer you and PGI a challenge. Request support to set you at the Elo level my heavy is at right now. Then play nothing but your best heavy in solo PUG queue. After about 20 games where you see 5-7 players on your team unable to crack 200 damage/ 30 match score (you know..the score PGI has used to give away stuff because they believe that is easily obtainable), you'll be going "WTF???" like we do. I bet you'll be top four in damage and match score in 90% of the games, just like me (check some of my prior posts for screen shots).

You'll also get to enjoy the varying wait times while the heavy queue stays near the same %. After getting a game in 26 seconds when the queue says 46%, you'll be puzzled why you have to wait 2 minutes, 32 seconds when the queue says 39% the very next time.

Here are some other treats you'll experience.
1) Players telling you "You don't know what you are talking about" when you tell them not to go to the area on the map where they can be easily surrounded and sniped to death. Then watch as the melt because you told them it would happen on comms and text chat.
2) One guy telling everyone to "TAKE THE CENTER" on Terra Therma. Then watch him sit from a corner and poke and snipe, because his intention from the start was to have everyone else be his meat shield so he could get easy kills and do lots of damage without any return fire.
3) Watching the last light mech running around the map for 5 minutes, painting the landscape with laser fire, only occasionally hitting a mech, until they are surrounded. And at the end, they did a whopping 9 points of damage.
4) Seeing drop after drop where someone driving an assault disconnects on your team.
5) Seeing infamous messages in light blue like "Get me targets and I'll make it rain!", "I'm trying a different loadout, so this may suck (just before they do a test alpha and blow up).", or...my favorite..."Sorry" after they put a test alpha into your left leg.

So, are you and PGI up to the challenge?? BAWK!

And remember, document it with screen shots and/or video, because coming back in here and just saying "No, I was fine, it must be you." won't cut it. In other words, no proof - then it didn't happen. I'm getting in components to build a new system this week. So in a month I'll be able to share videos of all these wonderful moments in "Elo Hell."

#11 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:50 AM

Hard question

When are you responsible for your wins?

Once you can go to the programmers and have the game modified you open up a Pandora’s Box

Could you imagine the game of monopoly being modified as much as online games are?

What if I could us my charisma to convince the devs the TW is OP

For the devs it’s a nightmare do you say hey we designed the game this way because we are the designers
Or do you do the "no child left behind" thing

When I had only 3 mechs I would say I had 9

3 nerfed Jagers 3 buffed Jagers and 3 I don’t know where they are at

#12 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:54 AM

Don't put down Yeagers. I hadn't driven mine in months so I took a spin last night. First match 4 kills 700 dam. I love Yeagers.
Best mech in the game for not needing any buffs or nerfs. Just good piloting and a little luck.

#13 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:54 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 25 June 2015 - 05:50 AM, said:

Well, it is the MM's job to keep you at 50%. And you can't control your teammates. Basically, you could get 4 kills and 1000 DMG and lose.

You can get 6 kills, 1200-1400 damage, and still lose.

CTs and STs with lasers; not streak or LRM spread damage.

When 80% of the team fails to get 200 damage, you know it will be a loss no matter how hard you carry. You can't carry enough ammo or enough heatsinks to counteract that amount of Bad.

#14 Poisoner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 440 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:55 AM

I am in Elo hell already. I can't take out my Hellbringers or my Grasshopper without get roflstomped. I leveled my 5N and Prime variants on upswings of the win/lose cycle and had really high KDRs with them.

I like the Grasshopper quite a bit. I think I will get the 5J next.

As far as forum strategies, I guess I don't post enough to know the forum meta.

Edited by Poisoner, 25 June 2015 - 07:55 AM.

#15 KodiakGW

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:05 AM

Screen shots, or it didn't happen.

And, liking your own post...*sigh*

Now, don't go and unlike it. I've got a screen shot and will use it.

#16 Poisoner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 440 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:16 AM

Didn't mean to like my own post. I was trying to edit it from the mobile theme. Sorry about that. I'll post some screen shots when I get home.

#17 JudgeDeathCZ

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:32 AM

View Postmeteorol, on 25 June 2015 - 07:02 AM, said:

If I do 500-600 dmg 2 kils each match in heavy mech and still lose 6 games in a row then who is responsible?

#18 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:36 AM

View PostPoisoner, on 25 June 2015 - 05:45 AM, said:

Theoretically MM is supposed to be creating 'balanced' matches.

The match maker is an f'ing lie, let's just get rid of it, even temporarily to give us some idea of how "bad" it could supposedly get without it...

#19 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:48 AM

View PostKodiakGW, on 25 June 2015 - 07:42 AM, said:

No, but this is a topic that requires you to experience the "Elo Hell" of those that are doing the complaining before passing judgement.

So, I offer you and PGI a challenge. Request support to set you at the Elo level my heavy is at right now. Then play nothing but your best heavy in solo PUG queue. After about 20 games where you see 5-7 players on your team unable to crack 200 damage/ 30 match score (you know..the score PGI has used to give away stuff because they believe that is easily obtainable), you'll be going "WTF???" like we do. I bet you'll be top four in damage and match score in 90% of the games, just like me (check some of my prior posts for screen shots).

You'll also get to enjoy the varying wait times while the heavy queue stays near the same %. After getting a game in 26 seconds when the queue says 46%, you'll be puzzled why you have to wait 2 minutes, 32 seconds when the queue says 39% the very next time.

Here are some other treats you'll experience.
1) Players telling you "You don't know what you are talking about" when you tell them not to go to the area on the map where they can be easily surrounded and sniped to death. Then watch as the melt because you told them it would happen on comms and text chat.
2) One guy telling everyone to "TAKE THE CENTER" on Terra Therma. Then watch him sit from a corner and poke and snipe, because his intention from the start was to have everyone else be his meat shield so he could get easy kills and do lots of damage without any return fire.
3) Watching the last light mech running around the map for 5 minutes, painting the landscape with laser fire, only occasionally hitting a mech, until they are surrounded. And at the end, they did a whopping 9 points of damage.
4) Seeing drop after drop where someone driving an assault disconnects on your team.
5) Seeing infamous messages in light blue like "Get me targets and I'll make it rain!", "I'm trying a different loadout, so this may suck (just before they do a test alpha and blow up).", or...my favorite..."Sorry" after they put a test alpha into your left leg.

So, are you and PGI up to the challenge?? BAWK!

And remember, document it with screen shots and/or video, because coming back in here and just saying "No, I was fine, it must be you." won't cut it. In other words, no proof - then it didn't happen. I'm getting in components to build a new system this week. So in a month I'll be able to share videos of all these wonderful moments in "Elo Hell."

We must be a the same ELO level, all of this happens to me too!

#20 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:51 AM

View PostJudgeDeathCZ, on 25 June 2015 - 08:32 AM, said:

If I do 500-600 dmg 2 kils each match in heavy mech and still lose 6 games in a row then who is responsible?

That's crystal clear.
Cheaters, exploiters and synchdroppers on the enemy team. Every defeat is caused by them. Didn't you know? Ask mudhut, he will gladly explain it if you haven't heard it before.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users