#41 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:09 PM

View PostNightshade24, on 25 June 2015 - 08:54 PM, said:

eeeeeh... clan mechs have issues chasing the meta as well... for instant the timberwolf changes decently...

Also the Nova used to be a T1 mech... look where it sits now? (it used to be a T1 mech because it had insane damage out put to the point it would make even a superheavy mech if added to game cry with a good hit)

I would say at best you should get a hero mech that YOU Enjoy.

Because if you love it and play it often it would make you more money then this meta hero mech or what have you and force yourself to play it but you are meh or hate it. Doing 20 games a day in your Jester is much better then 5 games in a timberwolf.

Now, I have to stop you here. . You may have liked the Nova, but at no point has the Nova been a tier one mech in MWO. Not even t2. Not even close.

#42 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,917 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:03 AM

i rather like the bane and the ilya. i recently bought a misery and am far less impressed. maybe i will like it more after i master it (im still a stalker short and probibly wont get it untill i can cull some more clan mechs after i master them).

#43 Ovion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 03:41 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 25 June 2015 - 07:01 PM, said:

The best money maker Hero would be the Invasion Whale. Too bad PGI does not sell them alone.
It will really depend on the person.

My best money makers are my Adder Prime (I), my Kit Fox Prime (I) and my Jagermech Firebrand.
My Locust Pirates' Bane, Raven Huggin, Firestarter Ember, Cicada X-5, Stalker Misery, and Mad Dog Prime (I) are all pretty reasonable earners too, just the first 3 peek out slightly ahead there.

A few, like the Commando The Death's Knell, Spider Anansi and Cataphract Ilya Muromets are new enough to not know yet, but all seem fine so far.

The rest, either I haven't really used enough, but I bet they'll all provide decent moneys.

You can also hedge your bets, and increase earning with the right weapons and tactics.
LRMs / LBXs are good for earning as they rack up plenty of damage, assists everywhere, crits etc.

But at the end of the day, it'll depend on you, your playstyle / preferences and what you do as to what will be 'best' for you.

Edited by Ovion, 26 June 2015 - 03:44 AM.

#44 GreyNovember

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 03:42 AM

I'd argue Oxides are actually better than Huginns when running them solo. This is coming from someone who ran them when the quirks came, and when the Jenner CT was still massive.

While the Huginn technically fires faster by virtue of quirks, the Oxide can spit out a volley of 3 ASRM4s quicker, move at the same speed, and then run away faster than the Huginn. This helps survivability greatly, compared to laser based Jenners.

The Huginn, granted, can spread damage better. So it's a smaller saving grace for it.

Can't speak for other Hero mechs. I only really put time in with these two cheeky ********.

#45 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 03:45 AM

View PostGreyNovember, on 26 June 2015 - 03:42 AM, said:

I'd argue Oxides are actually better than Huginns when running them solo. This is coming from someone who ran them when the quirks came, and when the Jenner CT was still massive.

While the Huginn technically fires faster by virtue of quirks, the Oxide can spit out a volley of 3 ASRM4s quicker, move at the same speed, and then run away faster than the Huginn. This helps survivability greatly, compared to laser based Jenners.

The Huginn, granted, can spread damage better. So it's a smaller saving grace for it.

Can't speak for other Hero mechs. I only really put time in with these two cheeky ********.
When they both go the same speed, and the Huggin has JJ's on top, how can the Oxide run faster?

Personally, the Huggin seems like the Oxide+ at the end of the day.

I might buy the Oxide just because next it's on sale though...

#46 GreyNovember

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 04:22 AM

View PostOvion, on 26 June 2015 - 03:45 AM, said:

When they both go the same speed, and the Huggin has JJ's on top, how can the Oxide run faster?

Personally, the Huggin seems like the Oxide+ at the end of the day.

I might buy the Oxide just because next it's on sale though...

Faster in the sense that it can unload a reasonable amount of damage quicker, and get to cover. The Huginn is forced to either hope that nobody sees it ( Unlikely, given what the constant BAM BAM BAM of missile fire would tell people ), or make longer passes against targets.

#47 Gaussfather

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 310 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 06:13 AM

I own a lot of the hero mechs... most I bought on sale but some not. And most were fun before the Clan invasion.

I'm playing the "Boarhog" right now... and I regularly get 100+ scores with it. Its not super fast w/o the 400xl but running XL in an Atlas is just a bad idea.

With 6MPLs, AC20 and LRM10+artemis you can devastate between 100 - 400m as long as you aren't standing in front of a Dire Wolf :)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d6cca672a2e8645

Important to have the following Weapon Modules: MPL cooldown, MPL range, AC20 cooldown

With the MPL range and mastered, your range is 275m with the MPLs, max range of 550m

#48 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 06:31 AM

The Ilya is way past his prime.

#49 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 06:37 AM

Firebrand is the best hero mech in my stable, Ember and Sparky are also very good

The rest are meh, at best

I regret buying Yen Lo Wang and Grid Iron since the chassis cannot solo an assault (assuming equally skilled player) and are therefore relegated to support status

Dragon Slayer is hard to use and doesn't score well even when its used well

Edited by UrsusMorologus, 26 June 2015 - 06:43 AM.

#50 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 06:54 AM

I like Fang and Flame, mostly because people ignore me when I am piloting them for some bizarre reason.

The Ilya is the most effective hero I've driven and remains so due to it's ability to cater to my love of DAKKA.

I also have a Heavy Metal, but it's not nearly as effective as it once was.

View PostUrsusMorologus, on 26 June 2015 - 06:37 AM, said:

I regret buying Yen Lo Wang and Grid Iron since the chassis cannot solo an assault (assuming equally skilled player) and are therefore relegated to support status

You may want to look at how you are fighting those Assaults then. You should be flanking them / in their ass. This brings you victory in a medium over an assault. Both are capable of doing this and doing it well.

#51 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 26 June 2015 - 06:56 AM

View PostLugh, on 26 June 2015 - 06:54 AM, said:

I like Fang and Flame, mostly because people ignore me when I am piloting them for some bizarre reason.

The Ilya is the most effective hero I've driven and remains so due to it's ability to cater to my love of DAKKA.

I also have a Heavy Metal, but it's not nearly as effective as it once was.

You may want to look at how you are fighting those Assaults then. You should be flanking them / in their ass. This brings you victory in a medium over an assault. Both are capable of doing this and doing it well.

*cries*

My Flame was my favourite mech from it's release until Ghost Heat. The Heavy Metal was my next favorite, up until the totally trashed Jump Jets and nerfed the heck out of PPC's.

I miss them both so much :(

#52 Gaussfather

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 310 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 07:20 AM

Favorite Hero Mechs:

LOVE the Heavy Metal! C'mon its a beast now with extra armor quirks and u have to love the original and still best "war horn"
LOVE the Dragon Slayer!

Those are 2 of my favorite IS mechs to play in a normal game (not CW). They don't play as well in CW due to ammo restrictions and need for an XL engine to make them fun and powerful.

Yen Lo Wang is a "blast" with either the AC20 or 2UAC5 build. I use the 2UAC5 in CW with my "dakka" dropdeck. It takes more damage than most 50 ton mediums if you torso twist properly and use the shield arm.

Sparky is a good hero mech for CW play with 2 LPLs and a 4MLs

I used to really enjoy playing the Banshee Hero mech pre-clan invasion and quirking. But now its not as great as the other Banshee models... same can be said for alot of the other mechs... after the quirkening most Hero mechs aren't the best variant to play.

Cheers!

#53 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 27 June 2015 - 03:03 AM

View Postmeteorol, on 26 June 2015 - 06:31 AM, said:

The Ilya is way past his prime.

It is, but it is also still dangerous. I well remember what triple cannon Ilyas can do. While they are no longer one of the 3 most dangerous heavies on the field, they will still f*** you up if you don't take them seriously. Hell, one of my EBJs is rigged as triple UAC5, triple ERML to ape the old Ilya, and it can and will wreck people.

#54 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 27 June 2015 - 03:44 AM

View PostEscef, on 27 June 2015 - 03:03 AM, said:

It is, but it is also still dangerous. I well remember what triple cannon Ilyas can do. While they are no longer one of the 3 most dangerous heavies on the field, they will still f*** you up if you don't take them seriously. Hell, one of my EBJs is rigged as triple UAC5, triple ERML to ape the old Ilya, and it can and will wreck people.

It's my "go to" build for the jaguar. A lot of dakkafun.
Also with tc1, the killing rate is real.

#55 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 June 2015 - 03:45 AM

The Arrow is mediocre to crap imo. Mediocre when used with an AC20/medium laser build & crap when used with any MG build.
It needs to have its quirk revisited, i would be ok with having its load out changed to something more useful actually.

View PostUrsusMorologus, on 26 June 2015 - 06:37 AM, said:

Firebrand is the best hero mech in my stable,

Interested in what build you use on your FB?

Edited by Ace Selin, 27 June 2015 - 03:49 AM.

#56 QuantumButler

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts
  • LocationTaiwan, One True China

Posted 27 June 2015 - 03:47 AM

Only a couple heroes are actually any good, most are mediocre to terrible.

#57 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 27 June 2015 - 03:54 AM

The CPLT-K2 is just a bad version of the Jester, unless you're running dual gauss or dual AC20 (in which case you're running a bad version of the Jagermech).

XL350 engine, 96.7 kph.

You're running circles around most other heavies, and even Clan heavies are considerably slower. 6 energy hardpoints for maximum laservomit, which is very in vogue right now. Jump jets aren't there to fly with, they're just there for hill climbing. A pretty good investment, unless you just want extra heatsinks.

AC20 Yen Lo Wang and UAC5 or AC5 Ilya Muromets are still the best hero mechs that I've played though.

#58 QuantumButler

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts
  • LocationTaiwan, One True China

Posted 27 June 2015 - 03:56 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 27 June 2015 - 03:54 AM, said:

The CPLT-K2 is just a bad version of the Jester, unless you're running dual gauss or dual AC20 (in which case you're running a bad version of the Jagermech).

XL350 engine, 96.7 kph.

You're running circles around most other heavies, and even Clan heavies are considerably slower. 6 energy hardpoints for maximum laservomit, which is very in vogue right now. Jump jets aren't there to fly with, they're just there for hill climbing. A pretty good investment, unless you just want extra heatsinks.

AC20 Yen Lo Wang and UAC5 or AC5 Ilya Muromets are still the best hero mechs that I've played though.

I'd say the Huginn is probably one of the most nasty pure damage dealing mechs atm, it's just a glass cannon and needs to get real close.

It's also very fun.

#59 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 06:21 AM

View PostAce Selin, on 27 June 2015 - 03:45 AM, said:

Interested in what build you use on your FB?

The build I run is XL 280 w/ 1xGauss 2xERLL 2xMG, basically a rear-line fire-support mech that hill peeks the early game, can also defend itself pretty well against a single near target.

The deep value comes from the flexibility of the chassis

#60 Bleary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 365 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 01:15 AM

View PostQuantumButler, on 27 June 2015 - 03:47 AM, said:

Only a couple heroes are actually any good, most are mediocre to terrible.

Pirate's Bane, Ember, Oxide, Huginn, Yen Lo, Grid Iron, Sparky, Golden Boy, Gray Death, Jester, Firebrand, Muromets, Hellslinger, Misery, Boar's head.

All of those can do at least one thing well, either on the strength of their base chassis or thanks to the unique traits the hero variant brings to the table.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users