Such Disappointment, Much Wow

29 replies to this topic

#21 Midax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 195 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 07:54 AM

The revamp on maps sounds like it is a huge change on the level of making a new map. I can't really complain about the current way they are do this. They are fixing flaws with the map design and making it larger. Quite a few people want larger maps.

Hopefully they move away from the MOBA maps in CW with the revamps they are doing there.

#22 Nik Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 08:13 AM

View PostDoctorDetroit, on 26 June 2015 - 07:53 AM, said:

NO!!!! CW maps are horrible for skirmish mode. Too much focus on narrow lanes. Takes over 5 minutes just to move across the map.

Yes!! all they have to do is use a part of the map not the whole thing , while adding a few rocks , buildings and other cover elements.

#23 HellJumper

• 1,226 posts
  • LocationIslamabad, pakistan

Posted 26 June 2015 - 09:18 AM

redoing the existing maps will bring not much change to the stale gameplay atm... river city will still be pretty much played as it its being played now..

yes redoing is a good thing.. they should have done it as a parallel thing.. its not like they are making everything from scratch so i dont consider them as a new map...they should not take 3 months to redo a single map..its pretty much the same amount of time they use to take to make a new map..

CW maps is one option for sure.. using features from them and making maps for pug games..

just simply compare the amount of mech packs they announce in these big announcements vs maps that they annoucne to make..

that is why i have siad.. for once make maps your priority.. just crunch out a number of maps (5 can be just made from CW maps) and another couple new ones plus the redo of exisitng maps and you have a big chunk to give out the the player base..then you can go back with the mech packs

#24 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 26 June 2015 - 09:28 AM

View PostLugh, on 26 June 2015 - 05:23 AM, said:

New maps are a potential money maker. PGI needs to wake up. If you price a map pack at 10.00 and it has 4 new maps on it, people will ante up for the variety.

I would not spend 10 dollars on maps....sorry.

#25 DoctorDetroit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 483 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 09:29 AM

View PostHellJumper, on 26 June 2015 - 09:18 AM, said:

redoing the existing maps will bring not much change to the stale gameplay atm... river city will still be pretty much played as it its being played now..

yes redoing is a good thing.. they should have done it as a parallel thing.. its not like they are making everything from scratch so i dont consider them as a new map...they should not take 3 months to redo a single map..its pretty much the same amount of time they use to take to make a new map..

CW maps is one option for sure.. using features from them and making maps for pug games..

just simply compare the amount of mech packs they announce in these big announcements vs maps that they annoucne to make..

that is why i have siad.. for once make maps your priority.. just crunch out a number of maps (5 can be just made from CW maps) and another couple new ones plus the redo of exisitng maps and you have a big chunk to give out the the player base..then you can go back with the mech packs

How do you know if it will change gameplay? 3 months for one map? what about all the CW map changes? Also, how do you know the changes they are making are minor? Do you know they are adding destructible trees and lamps?

The point is that at this stage of MWO, more maps do not make better gameplay. Better maps make better gameplay.

#26 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 26 June 2015 - 09:30 AM

View PostHellJumper, on 26 June 2015 - 09:18 AM, said:

I think this is the dumbest thing i seen all day...kudos.

#27 HellJumper

• 1,226 posts
  • LocationIslamabad, pakistan

Posted 26 June 2015 - 10:17 PM

View PostDarthRevis, on 26 June 2015 - 09:30 AM, said:

I think this is the dumbest thing i seen all day...kudos.

talk to me on this when it will come out... then we talk..

View PostDoctorDetroit, on 26 June 2015 - 09:29 AM, said:

How do you know if it will change gameplay? 3 months for one map? what about all the CW map changes? Also, how do you know the changes they are making are minor? Do you know they are adding destructible trees and lamps?

The point is that at this stage of MWO, more maps do not make better gameplay. Better maps make better gameplay.

and its taking them like 3 years to realise this?? to make the existing bad maps better.. wow..gg..
and destructible lamps/ trees bring what? might wanna tell?? i am not even talking about CW maps here.. its all about the non CW qeueu where most of the population is...

so you wana tell me how long it took them to make a single map?? (not talking about CW maps here).. was it not something like costing $250,000 for a single map as well...

#28 Lord Perversor

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in New Aragon

Posted 26 June 2015 - 10:22 PM

View PostHellJumper, on 26 June 2015 - 10:17 PM, said:

talk to me on this when it will come out... then we talk..

and its taking them like 3 years to realise this?? to make the existing bad maps better.. wow..gg..
and destructible lamps/ trees bring what? might wanna tell?? i am not even talking about CW maps here.. its all about the non CW qeueu where most of the population is...

so you wana tell me how long it took them to make a single map?? (not talking about CW maps here).. was it not something like costing $250,000 for a single map as well...

Increasing map size, dynamic day time, adding extra elements and areas within the current map can change the whole way how it is played.

Also it's worth to notice PGI is well know for not having a huge developing team, so each feature it's oftenly developed by similar or shared teams, instead have a single one dedicated to the single task at hand.

#29 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 26 June 2015 - 10:34 PM

The problem with making new maps is that we've already got 5-6 maps which are pretty bad. So every time you drop, there's a 50% chance of landing on a map with some serious issues (size, balance, geometry, or all of the above) and a ~10% chance of landing on the new map.

Fixing the problematic / terribad maps is a much better guarantee for fun games than adding a good map to the pile.

And let's be fair - the most recent public match map, Viridian Bog, is one of the most disliked maps in the game right now. So new map doesn't necessarily mean better map.

#30 madhermit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 159 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 11:08 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 26 June 2015 - 10:34 PM, said:

The problem with making new maps is that we've already got 5-6 maps which are pretty bad. So every time you drop, there's a 50% chance of landing on a map with some serious issues (size, balance, geometry, or all of the above) and a ~10% chance of landing on the new map.

Fixing the problematic / terribad maps is a much better guarantee for fun games than adding a good map to the pile.

And let's be fair - the most recent public match map, Viridian Bog, is one of the most disliked maps in the game right now. So new map doesn't necessarily mean better map.

I personally despise Terra Therma. What an awful map. You basically have Jesus spot ring in the middle and anyone who is not in it is gonna die. Impossible to dislodge from too since entrances are basically funnels forcing the first one to become primary target immediately. Circling around to another entrance takes strange aeons to reach during which the people in the middle realize enemies outside have split up so they can just roll over the single lance that is left there. Just freaking awful map. I would play Viridian Bog over Terra Therma any day. On top of that it is high heat map so unless youre running gauss, youre more or less boned.

Just terrible. Same goes for any map that is focusing too much on a specific spot. I'm looking at you, Caustic Valley and Alpine Peaks. All just awful, AWFUL maps.

Edited by madhermit, 26 June 2015 - 11:10 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users