Visual Comparison Clan Iic Mechs Vs I.s. Original

68 replies to this topic

#61 Mardek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 133 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 11:03 AM

View PostScarecrowES, on 27 June 2015 - 09:50 AM, said:

Man use some sense. my point is: why making more mechs if you have alredy plenty of those but only 1/4 (and im being generous there) see the field due to quirks/hardpoints/meta... invest money and energy to other aspects of the game.

and since you asked (but i was referring to mech packs): donation, premium time&currency, cosmetics, bays, champion/hero mechs.....

#62 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 27 June 2015 - 03:05 PM

View PostMardek, on 27 June 2015 - 11:03 AM, said:

Man use some sense. my point is: why making more mechs if you have alredy plenty of those but only 1/4 (and im being generous there) see the field due to quirks/hardpoints/meta... invest money and energy to other aspects of the game.

and since you asked (but i was referring to mech packs): donation, premium time&currency, cosmetics, bays, champion/hero mechs.....

How many IS mechs are available? Now, relative to that, how many Clan mechs? About half? Until both sides have approximately equal variety and gaps in battlefield niches there will continue to be a need for more mechs.

#63 Mardek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 133 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 03:22 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 27 June 2015 - 03:05 PM, said:

How many IS mechs are available? Now, relative to that, how many Clan mechs? About half? Until both sides have approximately equal variety and gaps in battlefield niches there will continue to be a need for more mechs.

how many commando, jenner, orion, nonddc atlas, trebuchet, vindicator, kintaro have you seen in your last 10 matches? (hero mechs of those doesnt count cuz event)

Edited by Mardek, 27 June 2015 - 03:30 PM.

#64 ScarecrowES

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 27 June 2015 - 06:25 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 27 June 2015 - 09:11 AM, said:

Not that the mechs look bad, and aesthetics being a subjective thing, what bothers me is that certain mechs don't entirely fit the established MWO art style. Like, the Highlander IIC in particular. It does not follow the same sort of style that we've come to expect in the game. The quality is fine, and it is a very, very close mimicry of the tabletop model, but it doesn't look like it belongs in MWO. Too lanky and the proportions seem off (lower legs and the head, the oversized rifle arm). Fits the model but deviates an awful lot from the chunkier, bulkier redesigns everything else seems to have received.

Orion IIC and Hunchback IIC look about right to me, though I dislike the Hunchback's center torso design. It just looks odd to me. The Jenner IIC, otoh, has a really, really weird looking face and the legs seem too skinny to me. Almost like they bolted locust legs to it and smashed it in the face with a hammer.

The pack does not interest me too heavy in and of itself, but what it represents, Clan Battlemechs, does. We might get to see some interesting mech designs like the Vapor Eagle (oh god yes), Grizzly, Kodiak, and Supernova. Come to think of it, I do not think the Vape was ever in any prior mechwarrior game, and it is such a sexy, sexy looking mech.

I'd argue here that the IIC models actually look like a transitionary aesthetic between the tradition IS styles and the later Clan styles. They're what you might expect to see if the Clans redesigned IS mechs and updated the looks with their own preferred styles (which is exactly what they did).

View PostMardek, on 27 June 2015 - 11:03 AM, said:

Very few people buy premium time, the game is not popular enough to thrive on donation. Cosmetics and champion/hero mechs fall with the same teams building NEW mechs. The reality is, mechpacks are PGI's bread and butter. No mechpacks, no game. It's that simple. And like I said... the people working mechs can't just be moved to other activities... it doesn't work that way. This is the same in pretty much EVERY free to play game.

#65 Predyz

• PipPip
  • The Defiant
  • 47 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:23 AM

How else do free to play games make money but by selling you things?

Advertising, banners, partnerships, sponsors...

LoL it's not the best around becase they sells heroes skins, but because they are way crowdfunded by ESL and WCG events and brands like Razer give their sponsorship.

So a good FTP game doesn't necessarly need to sell its pants for two dollars to go ahead.

There are some FTP games in full beta testing like Nosgoth that are already in weekly ESL Tournaments with real money as first and second prize, and they don't sell anything but cosmetic skins for nerd players.

What about MWO? No official tournaments around, buggy game modes, and only gold mech packs to let the devs buy some food for their children...

Nice way to manage a brand.

Edited by Predyz, 28 June 2015 - 08:24 AM.

#66 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 03:00 AM

guess PGI hadn't posted the concept art on the forums yet!

#67 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 29 June 2015 - 03:43 AM

I dunno, the IIC looks sometimes, "too much chaos" when putting weapons on it... IS looks more "precious"

#68 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 29 June 2015 - 04:01 AM

I didn't even notice the Jenner IIC was a chicken-walker till I looked in this thread. Huh.

I approve.

#69 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 04:59 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 29 June 2015 - 04:01 AM, said:

I didn't even notice the Jenner IIC was a chicken-walker till I looked in this thread. Huh.

I approve.

yah buddy

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users