Hit Reg #1 Issue W\ Mwo

4 replies to this topic

#1 crustydog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 June 2015 - 03:42 PM

I've been here nine months, and seen this issue come and go. I feel I can't stress this enough, with all of the changes we have seen over this time in this game, Hit Reg has been an ongoing issue that has never truly been properly addressed.

I realize there are priorities, the project is huge, and badly under resourced, there are real and practical limits to what can be reasonably achieved within any given time frame.

Hit Reg, however, is a source of massive frustration with this game. You see things on the battlefield, and how can you tell if what you are seeing is someone cheating, or is it actually the results of wonky outcomes with the Host State Rewind? Furthermore, can we say it is a problem with the HSR? If the possibility exists the other player could be just cheating? Given our clear problems with HSR, we at least know that this part of the equation is broken... that is a known known, and it is something we can fix - if we can indeed fix it.

AND we really really do need to fix it. How can we judge which mechs or weapons are better when the weapons are not scoring? How can we inflict massive nerfs time and again, when people are playing the way they are because the scoring system has gone to hell in the first place? It's not the mech or weapon or player or cheat code that is broken, it is the lack of a stable and reliable game environment existing as a stable foundation in the first place.

You cannot build your castle on quicksand and expect it to hold up as you pile ever greater weight upon it.

How can we fix anything without a reliable standard to measure our results?

NO - First and foremost, we must stabilize the scoring code, establish a rock solid, robust and reliable system for the hit registration. Then we can truly see the real state of weapon performance, mech performance, player performance, and all of the rest.

#2 That Guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 03:48 PM

you are in luck. last night during the town hall meeting russ announced that they have in fact made a huge stride in fixing the games hit registration.

he said that the hit state rewind only is calculated for a mechs position, and NOT its bones, thus leading to some wonkey things happening in a mission. they have now added in the HSR for these bones as well and should result in much better hit reg

#3 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:02 PM

Look up few posts " real fix to hitreg coming"

#4 Macster16

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 576 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:05 PM

As an Australian player, I do share some of the OP's frustration. Playing with 250+ ping, HSR can change dramatically from almost perfect registry to "throw a dart at the board" random and I'm often finding myself having to guess where to shoot and having to get a feel for how good/bad hitreg will be for me at any given time. It's the fluctuations that really frustrate me - if HSR was more consistent and less random, I wouldn't have too much of an issue with it.

#5 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:39 PM

View PostThat Guy, on 26 June 2015 - 03:48 PM, said:

you are in luck. last night during the town hall meeting russ announced that they have in fact made a huge stride in fixing the games hit registration.

he said that the hit state rewind only is calculated for a mechs position, and NOT its bones, thus leading to some wonkey things happening in a mission. they have now added in the HSR for these bones as well and should result in much better hit reg

Yep, this. I'M SO FRIGGIN EXCITED. There were also other improvements to the netcode, and don't forget that we're getting regional servers. OP, i don't know if you've seen the oceanic testing thread pinned in General, but check it out, and see how your ping is. I get around 110ms, which is spectacular.

Huiggins, you are no longer the invincible harbinger that heralds my doom!

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users