Lrm Boats Op

18 replies to this topic

#1 longwang

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 03:50 PM

Devs, can you please do something about missile boats similar to what you did to the laser crow? when mechs have more than 2 LRMs it is incredibly difficult to play. It is not fire support. It is spam and makes the experience very unpleasant.

While it would be nice to nerf LRMs in general, just make ghost heat or cool down greater. There is no reason to have 6 LRM 5s other than to make it impossible for targets to play. Same with 3 + LRM 15 or 20. just one or two volleys will kill a single mech.

Thank you!

#2 That Guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 04:05 PM

lrm are not overpowerd. infact they are one of the worst weapons in the game. they have the most hard counters (slow projectile speeds, warning alerts, ECM cover, AMS, inaccurate), and can easily be dodged, or have damage mitigated by movement and cover. being killed by LRMS is a slow grading process that is more annoying and frustrating than effective. TTK with LRM vs any other weapon system is very high

however you do bring up a point. the LRM 5 is op in comparison to the other launchers. it has the fastest reload time, and tightest missile spread. when used in large numbers it can be very very deadly, and much more ammo efficent than other LRM launchers.

on the flip side the LRM 20 is far too inaccurate to bother with. the spread is to wide. it wastes alot of the ammo it shoots.

the LRM 5 needs to have the same accuracy as the LRM 10, and the 20 needs to have the same accuracy as the 15. help tune those weapons. or alternitivly missile spread needs to be determined by the number of missiles in the total volly rather than the launcher. meaning firing 2 LRM 15 (30 missiles) and 6 LRM 5 (30 missiles) would yield the same missile spread

#3 DoctorDetroit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 483 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 04:21 PM

View Postlongwang, on 26 June 2015 - 03:50 PM, said:

Devs, can you please do something about missile boats similar to what you did to the laser crow? when mechs have more than 2 LRMs it is incredibly difficult to play. It is not fire support. It is spam and makes the experience very unpleasant.

While it would be nice to nerf LRMs in general, just make ghost heat or cool down greater. There is no reason to have 6 LRM 5s other than to make it impossible for targets to play. Same with 3 + LRM 15 or 20. just one or two volleys will kill a single mech.

Thank you!

LOL!!!! Thanks for that OP. I needed another crazy this weapon is OP thread.

I will give the standard answer. LEARN 2 PLAY! Get ecm and radar dep module. Not that you really need those to easily find cover from the lrms.

Edited by DoctorDetroit, 26 June 2015 - 04:23 PM.

#4 Nazar24

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 94 posts
  • LocationItalia

Posted 26 June 2015 - 04:27 PM

Oh my, an LRM OP NERF111!I!1 post.
It's been so long.

This is from 1 year ago.

View PostNazar24, on 13 August 2014 - 02:17 PM, said:

i wouldn't call lrms overpowered, you just need to know how to deal with them :)

First of all,ecm.
Ecm render the acquisition of the target difficult (if not impossible) for the enemy.
So, as soon as the match start, localize the ecm mech and make sure that he cover the main team, and stick with it.

But in pug's games,it could happen that there are no ecm available in your team, or the ecm decide to leave the group and go by himself.

so what can you do?

Stick with the team and equip ams.
Ams has only one role, to counter the lrm.
one ams can bring down 3 missile per volley, making that lrm 20 directed to you an lrm 17; which is still a big number of missiles, but if you stay close to another ams friend you can stack your effects.
If you get 7 ams , that lrm 20 will be completely shoot down.

If for a reason or another, you find yourself alone targetted by lrm, find cover
That's the most basic form of defence.
Don't run in the open alone, not only lrm but any form of focus fire will tear you into pieces. Instead, as soon as you can hear betty screaming "warning incoming missiles", get a rock, a building anything taller than you between your mech and the danger.

Remember, lrm require lock, so the enemy has to get the target by himself or via a spotter.
If you find yourself under a barrage of lrm, try to identify one of the two, and shoot back (while you get cover).
No one like to be shotted at, and they will probably back up losing the lock.
If you cant find none of the two, chances are that you are under uav or narc.
While in cover search in the sky for a hovering object (the uav), if you find it, shoot it an destroy it, if not try to get under ecm or stay under cover.

If all of this doesn't work, modules.
Modules are expensive, but effective.

"Radar deprivation" make the enemy lose the target immediately after losing sight of you. (it's probably best used on a 70+ kph mech).
"Ams overload" will make your ams shoot faster, and deal more damage to that lrm volley.
"Ams range" will also allow you to shoot down more missiles, while covering better your allies

Additionally you can try to use lrm by yourself, to learn how they work and what stop them by experience.

If all of that fail, well...
The enemy have done really a good job, not because lrm are op, but because the pilot is op.

TL;DR

-get ecm near you or use an ecm capable mech by yourself
-equip ams on your mech
-get the allies to cover you with ams and ecm
-use the cover
-get some modules that counter the lrm (radar deprivation, ams overload, ams range)
-shoot back at the lrm mech

Lrms are just a trash.

Edited by Nazar24, 26 June 2015 - 04:34 PM.

#5 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 27 June 2015 - 08:59 AM

Nerf it. Is that your answer. How about trying something new such as taking advantage of an ECM Mech, equipping AMS, or taking cover behind a building instead of standing out in the open for someone like me. Yes I use LRM's because people don't take basic precautions and stand out in the open or way up on a ridgeline where I can shoot them. And when I fire off a salvo, they stand there, so I fire another salvo.

So how about this instead of beating a dead horse. Suggest something new. Hey, here are some examples for you to start with.
1. Suggest a New Hero Mech
2. Suggest a New Map Feature
3. Suggest a New Map
4. Suggest a New Consumable Item

But then again, these are helpful, and would help expand the game and make it more fun and enjoyable. So go ahead, stand out in the open where people like me will nail you and then complain about it. If you can only say NERF it, and can't take cover behind a building, use AMS or take advantage of an ECM Mech's coverage, people like me who use LRM's will nail you everytime, and we will take great pleasure in watching your Mech fall apart. And then when your Mech is trembling finish you off with a nice shot from our two heavy lasers. So enjoy the rain buddy. I am tired of NERF posts, they do nothing to add to the game!

#6 MechWarrior849305

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:17 AM

Thank you!

You are skilless noob, that is it.
Someone had to say this stright to your face, so face it now.

LRMs are useless piece of trash FOTM, if you can't deal with them - nothing will help you :ph34r: Learn to play.

And, to say that, it's a lucky day when full enemy team is all boated with LRMs while own team has none.
And these people cry why they are roflstomped over their face with 10-48 score <_<

Edited by DuoAngel, 06 July 2015 - 05:21 AM.

#7 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:03 AM

Thank you!

Ignoring all the insults being thrown around here. LRMs really are the weakest weapon in the game. There's a reason you don't see them in higher Elo matches. They are too easy to counter.

So I recommend you get more familiar with the maps. understand which kind of cover helps your mech. Then learn how to counter LRMs with equipment such as ECM, or Radar Dep module. Once you know the terrain, neither of those two will be really needed.

Are 6 LRM5s annoying? Yes. Do I think they should be removed from the game? No.

I think you need to play an LRM mech for a while, and that would give you a much better idea of how to counter them.

To the rest of the folks here: Guys. 53 posts for OP. Take it easy, and no need for insults. Yes, we've seen these threads a million times. OP should not bear the sins of his predecessors.

#8 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:08 AM

One way is to go back to what used to be done, have tube limits on Missile launchers more restrictive than now. For an example, look at Catapults. Why have 20 tubes per launcher on the C1? The C4 was designed for 20 tube launchers, giving the same ability to the C1 kinda kills the point of the C4. I expect the Awesome-8R to become worse, the LRM version uses 4 LRM15s but it only has 30 tubes max. Imagine if, in a pass, it gets 60 tubes in one shot.

Another is to add quirk penalties to spread, cooldown and other ways to certain Mechs that abuse the system.

PS, just because someone has 53 posts does not make them new, there are a number of people who play that rarely if ever post, the OP also has a Founder's tag so who knows how often OP has played compared to posting.

Edited by Wildstreak, 06 July 2015 - 07:25 AM.

#9 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:06 AM

Is this subject not dead already. Nerf, Nerf, Nerf. LRM's are overpowered. This or that is overpowered. How about trying something new, like suggest something new to the game instead.

#10 MechWarrior849305

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:09 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 06 July 2015 - 06:03 AM, said:

To the rest of the folks here: Guys. 53 posts for OP. Take it easy, and no need for insults. Yes, we've seen these threads a million times. OP should not bear the sins of his predecessors.

Man, look @ his logo... he is fuwkin founder. If he couldn't learn to play for more than 3 years now - what could help him now anyway?

#11 Vlad Striker

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:38 AM

I suggest to limit any sort of ammunition by 6t.

#12 bossclan

• PipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 89 posts
  • LocationIndiana United States

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:49 AM

I honestly wish they would un-nerf lrms and make them viable and usable again,in their present state lrms are trash and can barely make a difference even in a low elo match.
Bring the damage back up and speed the flight time up so they feel more like guided missiles and less like bottle rockets.
And increase ammo a bit more so a mech does not have to carry half its weight in lrm ammo just to get through a match.
After all they made mechs have 2x armor value so it would be ok to have 2x the ammo count per ton.

let the flames begin.

#13 BigJimJack

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 53 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:04 AM

I actually think that lrm's are fine. Of course I use tag that counters ECM and doesn't require my teammates to spot and get locks. Although that leaves me in the open and gives you every opportunity to shoot me. Fair exchange if you ask me.

#14 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 06 July 2015 - 04:52 PM

if LRMs are a problem it's because you are not staying near cover. it takes a while to get to know the maps, but after a while you will instinctively be able to stick near cover on all the maps and LRMs will be a joke. once LRMs become a joke you won't see them anymore because your ELO will have gone up and you will be playing with other players who also think LRMs are a joke

hug buildings, hug hills, hug trees - if you were a real-life soldier in a war would you stand in the middle of a field and let the enemy get a clear shot at you? no, you would stay in cover because that's how you avoid getting shot at. MWO is no different

Edited by JagdFlanker, 06 July 2015 - 04:53 PM.

#15 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:04 PM

View PostDuoAngel, on 06 July 2015 - 09:09 AM, said:

Man, look @ his logo... he is fuwkin founder. If he couldn't learn to play for more than 3 years now - what could help him now anyway?

Remember that a lot of players did leave for a long long time.

So it's quite possible OP has returned to the game recently.

#16 Black Ivan

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:36 AM

View PostThat Guy, on 26 June 2015 - 04:05 PM, said:

lrm are not overpowerd. infact they are one of the worst weapons in the game. they have the most hard counters (slow projectile speeds, warning alerts, ECM cover, AMS, inaccurate), and can easily be dodged, or have damage mitigated by movement and cover. being killed by LRMS is a slow grading process that is more annoying and frustrating than effective. TTK with LRM vs any other weapon system is very high

however you do bring up a point. the LRM 5 is op in comparison to the other launchers. it has the fastest reload time, and tightest missile spread. when used in large numbers it can be very very deadly, and much more ammo efficent than other LRM launchers.

on the flip side the LRM 20 is far too inaccurate to bother with. the spread is to wide. it wastes alot of the ammo it shoots.

the LRM 5 needs to have the same accuracy as the LRM 10, and the 20 needs to have the same accuracy as the 15. help tune those weapons. or alternitivly missile spread needs to be determined by the number of missiles in the total volly rather than the launcher. meaning firing 2 LRM 15 (30 missiles) and 6 LRM 5 (30 missiles) would yield the same missile spread

Well said and argued. I'm for it.

#17 Draykin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 154 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:05 PM

Someone get this man an internet cookie. In lore, the LRM20 was a devastating weapon, easily as intimidating as an AC/20, only at long range. It annoys me so much that, when I do see LRMs, I only see LRM5 spam, because that's the 'best' way to use LRMs. That's like saying the best way to use ACs is to stack up AC/2s and fire them off one at a time in rapid succession. How many people do you see doing that?

Nobody fills missile slots with anything but SSRMs, SRMs, and LRM5s. I never see these 'LRM Boats' that everyone seems to find. If anything, that tells me that missiles are the opposite of OP.

#18 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 05:38 AM

View PostKalimaster, on 06 July 2015 - 07:06 AM, said:

Is this subject not dead already. Nerf, Nerf, Nerf. LRM's are overpowered. This or that is overpowered. How about trying something new, like suggest something new to the game instead.

Because sometimes you have to go back and fix stuff that needs be fixed.
Example, look at New River City.

View PostJagdFlanker, on 06 July 2015 - 04:52 PM, said:

once LRMs become a joke you won't see them anymore because your ELO will have gone up and you will be playing with other players who also think LRMs are a joke

Yes, we know about 'those' people who think LRMs should be a joke because they have zero understanding of what a Long Range Missile weapon should be, 'those' people should be ignored.

#19 Stingray Productions

• 1,906 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:48 AM

agreed. The increasing ECM quantity in the game makes it more challenging.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users