Land Air Mechs...

68 replies to this topic

#21 Stray Ion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:10 PM

If they add those they better add the SDF-1 as well. I would pay $1000 for it just the ability to stomp on Atlases.

#22 AnubySet

• Pip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 18 posts
  • LocationAlberta

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:12 PM

View PostAntharPrime, on 04 July 2012 - 02:18 PM, said:

I want them unseen or reseen, perferably unseen but just to be able to be so mobile on the battlefied would be awesome. Gimme, gimme, gimme... ;)
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Stinger_LAM
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Wasp_LAM
http://www.sarna.net...hoenix_Hawk_LAM

BAD Pilot.....BAD....thats Macross Tech right there, not for you..........Bad.

#23 AnubySet

• Pip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 18 posts
  • LocationAlberta

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:17 PM

Posted Image

#24 Saevus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • LocationRight side of Upside down

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:20 PM

Please god. Kill me now. Awful, awful, awful creations. They are like that uncle who smells funny and you hope won't hug you at a family reunion, but you just can't escape them, they keep popping up.

#25 Kristarian

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationEarth, United States, Indiana

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:27 PM

Anyone ever play Earthseige, it wasn't Mechwarrior but it was pretty darn good.

#26 Project_Mercy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 430 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:09 PM

Devs have confirmed, no LAMs. It wasn't even a "not at this time" or "we'll think about it." It was a flat no.

#27 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:04 PM

View PostWraeththix Constantine, on 04 July 2012 - 08:09 PM, said:

Devs have confirmed, no LAMs. It wasn't even a "not at this time" or "we'll think about it." It was a flat no.

And that is GOOD. I should give the OP a nice list just in case he hasn't taken any clues.
1) They look retarded. Very retarded. Like something a 12 year old would doodle on paper while being bored in math class. You can argue that any ground Mech looks stupid, there sure is a few at least, but they aren't a plane with legs.
2) They make no logical kind of sense. We do have flying planes IRL that heavy but... they don't also have walking legs. Why would a plane or jet want walking legs??? You wouldn't put walking legs on your helicopter. It can already fly. It doesn't need to walk. Flying insects have legs but they spend just as much time walking as they do flying. A jet does not. It will only ever fly. It might have a reason to roll around on the airfield, but it has 0 reason to walk with legs. There's NO reason why you would want a fighter jet to walk one day as opposed to just flying or rolling. Legs on a jet would just be dead weight to it in the end. That's weight it could have used for more armor, fuel, missiles, etc. Is the lack of logic stacking up enough yet?
3) Assuming we, for some reason, did want to put this crap in, guess what; coding this into the game based on ground combat would be a nightmare. You can't mix a ground shooter with Ace Combat and not have it be one big mess of a game.
4) Balancing it in the game would be another nightmare.

The most I could support here is NPC controlled air support. If we had the ability to call in air support or if they were featured in PvE missions that would be great. But player controlled flying Mechs? NO.

#28 Tincan Nightmare

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:12 PM

View Postjakucha, on 04 July 2012 - 06:54 PM, said:

Everyone gets all butthurt but I love those mechs mostly because of the Macross thing. They would have much too big an advantage in MWO though.

Yah and its because of that 'Macross' thing that we got Harmony Gold slapping the power of lawsuit down and creating the unseen/reseen issue. NO THANKS!

#29 Monsoon

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationToronto, On aka Kathil

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:11 PM

I'm in the camp of 'I love Robotech, but this isn't Robotech', no LAMs please, but Wasps, Stingers, Phoenix Hawks, yes!

I do however hope they expand the game to be more Joint Task Force, with Tanks, Armor, Aerotech, heck even infantry!

#30 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:15 PM

wait...what? Monsoon, you say no LAMS, yet, you want 3 of them?

#31 Tincan Nightmare

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:21 PM

View PostRejarial Galatan, on 04 July 2012 - 11:15 PM, said:

wait...what? Monsoon, you say no LAMS, yet, you want 3 of them?

Your so sneaky Rejarial ^_^ , you know those are standard mechs. Did have to lol about a little though B) .

(edit here, yes I know they also come in LAM versions, just so you don't school me.)

Edited by Tincan Nightmare, 04 July 2012 - 11:21 PM.

#32 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:23 PM

might as well chuckle while I can, I mean, lets face it, I am getting swarmed at launch any way XD

#33 Adrienne Vorton

• 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:23 PM

there was a clear "No! LAMS will not be in MWO" by PGI... and i´m happy about it

Edited by Adrienne Vorton, 04 July 2012 - 11:25 PM.

#34 CancersCincar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 233 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:26 PM

According to the BattleTech Wiki's paragraph, " the scientists found the Land-Air Mechs to be too unstable to field in normal combat."

This makes sense, and, from the same paragraph, Clan Jade Falcon were the only ones known to have delved into LAM research, and the project was terminated in 3059.

Edit: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Battlemech -Scroll down to the Land to Air 'Mechs section.
Edit 2:

View PostAdrienne Vorton, on 04 July 2012 - 11:23 PM, said:

there was a clear "No! LAMS will not be in MWO" by PGI... and i´m happy about it

Also, this.

Edited by CancersCincar, 04 July 2012 - 11:27 PM.

#35 Squeak

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationThe Rat's Nest

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:34 PM

i have to agree no lams.

i liked them for my massive campaign in battle tech but that waws mass campaigns and for quick response force and anything heavyier then a light mech was silly and even then they where not all that great,

and the maps wouldnt be big enogh for sure since the movement for these things was mesured in grid maps not grid hexes

#36 Rychard Starheart

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 300 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:35 PM

Posted Image

#37 Wolftrap

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:40 PM

never gonna happen...though I wouldn't mind seeing the base mech version.

#38 Tincan Nightmare

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:59 PM

Well this is one good reason for the Clan invasion, because I'm pretty sure they capture the last remaining LAM factory and burn it at the stake for heresy (crossing the lines of the mechwarrior and aerospace castes.) B)

#39 BlackAbbot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationSecret UrbanMech Production Facility

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:04 AM

Keep in mind too that a quick perusal of Sarna will show that there was one functional LAM factory in 3049 that produced only Stinger LAMs in very small numbers for the DC and that was destroyed in 3050. Other than that the designs were functionally extinct anyway.

[Edited to add: Hey, there was a page two. Way to repeat what other people said, me.]

Edited by BlackAbbot, 05 July 2012 - 12:07 AM.

#40 Aeryk Corsaer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationCentral California

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:54 AM

Keep Robotech out of Battletech, I say, except for bringing back the Unseen!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users