Light 'mechs Re-Scale Vote (Part 1)

76 replies to this topic

Poll: Light 'Mechs Re-Scale Vote (3334 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Light 'Mech do you want to have re-scaled the most?

1. Voted Locust - 20 Tonnage (219 votes [4.28%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.28%

2. Voted Commando - 25 Tonnage (268 votes [5.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.24%

3. Voted Mist Lynx - 25 Tonnage (225 votes [4.40%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.40%

4. Voted Spider - 30 Tonnage (271 votes [5.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.30%

5. Urbanmech - 30 Tonnage (190 votes [3.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.71%

6. Voted Kit Fox - 30 Tonnage (1693 votes [33.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.09%

7. Voted Jenner - 35 Tonnage (373 votes [7.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.29%

8. Raven - 35 Tonnage (519 votes [10.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.14%

9. Firestarter - 35 Tonnage (345 votes [6.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.74%

10. Panther - 35 Tonnage (227 votes [4.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.44%

11. Voted Adder - 35 Tonnage (786 votes [15.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.36%

Vote

#21 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 03 July 2015 - 05:13 PM

View PostTennex, on 03 July 2015 - 05:02 PM, said:

Sorry dude its not practical to hold on to that chart. Look what it did to the Nova, the fact of the matter is many of the mechs that are linked by legs to a larger mech are misscaled as a result. The Kit fox, Nova, Gargoyle

Tell me how the kitfox is misscaled? Gargoyle sure... Nova / Viper? not really at all.. kitfox/ adder? 5 ton difference and Adder is larger in terms of area.

Do not mistaken size for height.

View PostGHoppa, on 03 July 2015 - 05:08 PM, said:

True.

While things can be loosely based around lore/TT, this is MWO, a game, played online believe it or not, that needs balance, and underperforming mechs should be modified to lift performance, which includes reducing size/ rescaling of proportions/ hitboxes.

What about overall quirks?

Also according to the people above, the kitfox needs to be smaller due to it being lighter.

HOWEVER besides the fact it is already smaller. it is the ADDER that is worse to the kitfox, NOT vice versa...

There is NOTHING to achieve by making the scale out of sync between these two. it would just mess up a constant that has been around for multiple decades. Messes up most of Clan philosophy. AAAAAAAAAAAND makes no ballance change! Unless you make the kitfox and adder the size of a mist lynx there will be no impact. BUT then the mist lynx needs to be so small that even a protomech or ultra light mech would feel they are to big as a 25 ton mech is smaller then a 7 or 15 ton mech...

Kitfox and Adder is fine for scale, it's just the quirks that need work. If the Adder has twin true 15 damage ER PPC's the adder will not be that bad anymore.
or the Kitfox having a velocity boost to ballistics and slightly colder energy and missiles it wouldn't be that bad.

you even agreed to another person that lights do not need much of a scale change...

#22 Scorpion Feet

• PipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 05:21 PM

View PostNightshade24, on 03 July 2015 - 05:13 PM, said:

stuff

I agreed that lights don't need adjustments as much as other weight classes, not that none is needed all together. I would personally be surprised if 1 light made it into the final 5 to be done first up.

I also didn't realize that MWO had been around for decades.

I respect your opinion, and understand your principal of adjusting quirks for balance. I believe, that is only part of the picture, and for better balance a more holistic approach to Mechs is required.

I don't have all the answers but i think re-scaling portions of individual mechs, or mechs relative to each other is another part of that picture.

#23 Sovery_Simple

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 269 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 05:22 PM

Well, adder's meh weaponry with it's massive size and slow speed is sort of a special trifecta. Add in a lack of JJ's and it's hard to envision a mech that could be worse than it. Since speed and weaponry is staying the same, this is a chance to give it a chance as being a harder target.

Not that it really matters, no one will use it anyways, the weaponry just isn't there. /sadder :<

#24 Kassatsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 03 July 2015 - 05:23 PM

Can I vote for the Adder like 5,000 times?

#25 SilentSooYun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 426 posts
  • LocationTikonov

Posted 03 July 2015 - 05:24 PM

Raven could stand to be a bit shorter, on the whole.

Have no real opinion on Clan Mechs, but Kit Fox does strike me as a bit too wide.

#26 Lord0fHats

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 619 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 05:35 PM

Scaling is part of balance. A mech being small or large for its weight can help balance out other factors, so I think weight is a bad way to go about scaling.

I actually think scaling for Light mechs is fine as is XD

#27 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 03 July 2015 - 05:43 PM

As an honorable mention, I think that the Mist Lynx just needs it weapon geometry redone, similar to the mockups below:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#28 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 03 July 2015 - 05:46 PM

View PostGHoppa, on 03 July 2015 - 05:21 PM, said:

I agreed that lights don't need adjustments as much as other weight classes, not that none is needed all together. I would personally be surprised if 1 light made it into the final 5 to be done first up.

I also didn't realize that MWO had been around for decades.

I respect your opinion, and understand your principal of adjusting quirks for balance. I believe, that is only part of the picture, and for better balance a more holistic approach to Mechs is required.

I don't have all the answers but i think re-scaling portions of individual mechs, or mechs relative to each other is another part of that picture.

Cheers.

Also I wouldn't mind some parts of the torso of the kitfox and smaller weapons (PS... keep them sexy long ballistics in the arms long as long as they go where the hand is.). But resize/ changing legs is a bit of a no no...

And I meant the design of the clans and kitox/ adder was like this through the decades... hehee... however as person above shows... MIST LYNX need weapon designs...

#29 Lord0fHats

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 619 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 05:50 PM

The Mistlynx would be fine if; mounting weapons didn't turns it's arms into giant shields that tend to get blown off and leave it weaponless well before it gets cored out, or the mech was given ST weapon hardpoints. Either or would make the MLX a good light mech.

#30 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 03 July 2015 - 05:52 PM

View PostFupDup, on 03 July 2015 - 05:43 PM, said:

As an honorable mention, I think that the Mist Lynx just needs it weapon geometry redone, similar to the mockups below:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Much yes...

Don't forget the size of the machine guns and other weapons!

Posted Image

PPC and UAC 2 needs to be in the arm! not on top!

Energy and machine guns are too big due to useless box space!

I mean look at the MG's on the mist lynx in game... compared to concept art... see any differences? (PS I preffer concept art misisles as well...)
Posted ImagePosted Image

#31 jay35

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 06:00 PM

KFX is the only Light that stands out to me. I can easily pick two Mediums and two Heavies, but only the KFX for lights and AWS for assaults.

#32 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 03 July 2015 - 06:03 PM

View Postjay35, on 03 July 2015 - 06:00 PM, said:

KFX is the only Light that stands out to me. I can easily pick two Mediums and two Heavies, but only the KFX for lights and AWS for assaults.

Mist lynx?

#33 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 03 July 2015 - 06:05 PM

View PostNightshade24, on 03 July 2015 - 06:03 PM, said:

Mist lynx?

Well, the MLX's body is mostly scaled fine, it's just the weapons that are crazy on it. The Cute Fox however has mostly good weapon scaling but a somewhat bulky body for its size (namely the legs).

#34 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 06:10 PM

>overall lights probably don't need this as much as other classes

i disagree

the size it's one of the two main defenses of lights, size and speed

poor kit fox and adder have neither good speed not good size

#35 Krizalius

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,632 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPolar Terma City

Posted 03 July 2015 - 06:18 PM

I disagree.

Necessary to adjust the scaling of maps and robots in relation to man (pilot), based on the known technical data. As with it should be.

#36 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 03 July 2015 - 06:40 PM

View PostFupDup, on 03 July 2015 - 06:05 PM, said:

Well, the MLX's body is mostly scaled fine, it's just the weapons that are crazy on it. The Cute Fox however has mostly good weapon scaling but a somewhat bulky body for its size (namely the legs).

I think the kitfox is not that bad for it's weight of 30 tons (ofc we have the anorexic spider being the only other 30 tonner in game and the urbanmech... Which is very odd for the 30 ton weight range).

Comparing to other artwork of the kitfox from other games I can imagine the ST being a bit thinner and more compact but more boxy...

#37 ZnSeventeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 334 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:05 PM

I really think lights are pretty good. I vote for none!

#38 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:41 PM

Kit Fox and Adder are about the right size... flipping back and forth between them all and considering mass, I think the Spider is a TAD too small. Lights though don't have any that stick out like a sore thumb.

#39 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 July 2015 - 09:28 PM

I, for one, would hope the Kitfox and Adder match. I'm in favour of reflecting the lore. Lore dictates the mechs, their designs, and their scaling. Balance dictates numbers and quirks.

#40 m

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 09:30 PM

I suppose map scaling will be taken into account next.

http://mwomercs.com/...ng-seems-wrong/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users