48 replies to this topic

#41 Drunk Canuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 572 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh?

Posted 07 July 2015 - 03:49 PM

View PostScarecrowES, on 07 July 2015 - 01:44 PM, said:

I remember early in the tourney we had an opportunity - and I believe this was the only opportunity during the entire tourney - to attack a Jade-held planet. This would have been against KCOM early when they only had one planet. Taking that planet would have put SWOL in third place on the planetary board and knocked KCOM completely off it. We had a small but vocal group lobbying to go gate the planet... but know what?

Our groups decided against it. Not because we didn't want to fight Jade, not because absolutely no Jade units were defending it... but because that planet was so far off the lines that it made no sense to bother over, even if it allowed us to jump right to the top of the planetary boards. We just didn't care enough to bother with pointless fights that distracted from Terra.

Plus, we had no lack of fights against IS forces. I don't recall a single ghost drop in my last week of play.

Once the exploits were found i think even the few of us that wanted to go after non-Terra planets early on pretty much dropped all interest in that.

I think you misunderstood the intent behind not dropping against JF in the rear. Why would we waste resources to defend planets we don't even need? Every 12-man we have defending a rear planet is better spent up front capturing territory.

Not sure why you guys think we'd back off on Terra and round after round of full drops with IS to facilitate Jade Units looking to be less bored.

So you lost the event rewards because you thought somehow PGI was going to let you attack Terra? How amusing. I guess none of the some thousands of Wolf players didn't bother to click on the big star that is Terra where it is clearly labeled as being held by the PGI dev team faction? That should have been a good indicator that you can't conquer it.

#42 Moldur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 03:55 PM

A lot of drama for a game where there is hardly even any loot.

#43 ScarecrowES

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 07 July 2015 - 03:59 PM

View PostBlueduck, on 07 July 2015 - 03:42 PM, said:

We haven't been able to complete our surround of terra as the algorithm seems to be throwing up. And as I said I'm not going to feed Kcom kills by throwing guys on trial mechs at them. If Kcom and others wanted a brawl they should have messaged us or logged into our TS to arrange a time and we would have joined you in a jolly brawl and fight. No one ever contacted me so I never bothered to get enough players together that have the mechs and experience to fight a group like that.

With that said we're always partial to a good fight in SWOL but you need to let us know when you want to do it. Most of our players work full time and it can be a challenge to get a full group of veterans together that will be able to take on a group like that. Again, we don't want to throw new guys out of you because it is discouraging for them and disrespectful to you. Let us know directly next time and we'll do some fighting in the proper setting.

Honestly, it's been fun getting new SWOL players trained up during the event because we've gotten to peg them against a variety of drop structures and conditions. We had been seeing everything from dedicated 12-mans from the top IS units to skittles, with half-half's in between. We got to introduce them to simmery brawling strats, gen rushes, mixed tactics... Was good experience for the beginners.

I was routinely dropping in 12-man SWOL units consisting of a handful of veterans and often 4 or more complete rookies running 3-4 trial mechs per deck. Our consistent winning record through the tourney shows that Focus and Strategy can often overcome better builds and pilots (though my personal play sadly suffered from having to compensate for a bit of squeemishness in pushes). I completely agree about not throwing new players to the wolves (er, Falcons) during a tourney. I'm sure they had much more fun learning and playing with merely the single goal of Terra and the benefit of the expanded player base during the event.

View PostDrunk Canuck, on 07 July 2015 - 03:49 PM, said:

So you lost the event rewards because you thought somehow PGI was going to let you attack Terra? How amusing. I guess none of the some thousands of Wolf players didn't bother to click on the big star that is Terra where it is clearly labeled as being held by the PGI dev team faction? That should have been a good indicator that you can't conquer it.

Can't conquer it now, per se, clearly... but unlocking Terra is a mere click on a database away. Rest assured that a Clan Wolf flag on Terra will end the current Beta session.

And LOST the event rewards? We got quite a few. And more than a little prestige I think. After all, the top 2 clan Wolf Units outscored the entire Jade Falcon leaderboard COMBINED.

Edited by ScarecrowES, 07 July 2015 - 04:02 PM.

#44 Star Wolves Admin Account

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 04:40 PM

View PostScarecrowES, on 07 July 2015 - 03:59 PM, said:

Honestly, it's been fun getting new SWOL players trained up during the event because we've gotten to peg them against a variety of drop structures and conditions. We had been seeing everything from dedicated 12-mans from the top IS units to skittles, with half-half's in between. We got to introduce them to simmery brawling strats, gen rushes, mixed tactics... Was good experience for the beginners.

I was routinely dropping in 12-man SWOL units consisting of a handful of veterans and often 4 or more complete rookies running 3-4 trial mechs per deck. Our consistent winning record through the tourney shows that Focus and Strategy can often overcome better builds and pilots (though my personal play sadly suffered from having to compensate for a bit of squeemishness in pushes). I completely agree about not throwing new players to the wolves (er, Falcons) during a tourney. I'm sure they had much more fun learning and playing with merely the single goal of Terra and the benefit of the expanded player base during the event.

Can't conquer it now, per se, clearly... but unlocking Terra is a mere click on a database away. Rest assured that a Clan Wolf flag on Terra will end the current Beta session.

And LOST the event rewards? We got quite a few. And more than a little prestige I think. After all, the top 2 clan Wolf Units outscored the entire Jade Falcon leaderboard COMBINED.

I think everyone did good. :) In regards to Wolf I don't think it can be ignored that MS was doing speed drops like nobodies business and blew everyone else out of the water; however, we do take quite a bit of pride that Wolf really was the only group to field large number of loyalist units that did very well. SWOL alone had points nearly equal all of the Ghost Bear groups combined and we weren't even playing "hardcore" in way that was designed for farm points enmasse.

All in all we had a lot of fun during this tournament and wanted to avoid people having to treat the game like a job to win.

Good showing all around and hopefully some of the issues discovered will lead the devs to improvements in regards to Community Warfare.

#45 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:43 AM

View PostPat Kell, on 05 July 2015 - 12:48 PM, said:

Again...you have reached Terra...

And no, I am not saying that we are the only faction that can put up a fight, I am saying that some units ran from a fight that was presented to them and are trying to hide behind that decision with claims of tactics and reaching Terra when that goal had already been achieved so it's very clear to most people why you made the decision you did. Anyone willing to watch the Twitch feed that was posted can hear it said first hand.

Also, we have fought teams from every faction in the game. Don't think that just because we don't have a border with Davion doesn't mean that they haven't come to try and help Steiner out. That's a ridiculous argument that is being given in an effort to hide the fact that certain units are actively avoiding the CJF front. Claim what you want about that but everyone knows why that is being done now. It's sad state of affairs when we can attack Steiner and get matches all night long even after the planet is at 100% yet if we attack any other Clan, it's long wait times and probably 50% ghost drops minimum.

Then do not attack other clans...problem solved. Is it really so hard to understand? Clan Wolf has no desire to get tangled in the web that has continually brought the IS down. Inter-faction wars prevent focusing on specific goals.

You might think it is cute, funny, or productive to ghost drop other clan worlds and complain about not getting matches...however...you are not making any real progress by capturing worlds already held by Clans...

Whoopie! A planet clans owned has now become owned by clans! /sarcasm

Seriously...get over yourselves, check your ego at the door, and fight the IS. If you want to fight clan pilots...I have heard of these things called private lobbies, where you can take 2 groups of warriors...(from your clan or another)...and pit them in a fight for honor with no repercussions of any kind for the intergalactic conquest campaign to conquer terra.

#46 Tom Sawyer

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationOn your 6

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:56 AM

Trying to take Terra or any capital planet reminds me of my old hound dog I had long ago in high school.

She caught a box turtle crossing HER back yard and she went yelping all the way to it. Turtle promptly did what turtle does and become a rock. No matter how much she barked, pawed, or tried to get it to come out and play it just ignored her safe in its shell.

Eventually she grew bored and went and laid back on the porch. Turtle unboxed and proceeded on its path to the back fence and points beyond.

Congrats! You have surrounded Terra. As a reward you get to pick another planet with no value and fight for it.

CW needs such a serious overhaul :(

#47 RjBass3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 635 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationKansas City MO.

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:11 PM

View PostQueenBlade, on 04 July 2015 - 01:07 PM, said:

In other words people, MS doesn't want to have to compete for victory points on the planet when you keep dropping on it. If you move to the next planet it will allow them to tag more planets.

This ^^

#48 Pat Kell

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationSol, NA, Iowa

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:26 AM

You're kidding right Gyrok? MS is hired my Wolf apparently, they surround Terra almost single handily and then other units try to take credit for it as if it would have been even remotely possible otherwise and I am the one with the ego? Not to mention the only reason we attacked wolf was because of the event rules. Why don't you try to get your facts straight before you start running at the mouth.

#49 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:51 AM

:ph34r:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users