Dakkageddon

81 replies to this topic

#1 Axeface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 655 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:46 PM

So, tomorrows patch is buffing clan ac's. They get less ammo, but a major increase in usability. The previous patch also gave them a ROF buff that was fairly well recieved... but I can't help but feel an impending sense of doom at this.

Dire Wolf.

The dakka wolf has always been an excellent mech, always - it is only a mediocre mech in the hands of someone who isn't very good. And each of these recent patches seem intent on making it better. It's dps is insane.... it needs negative quirks and fast.

I have seen someone pull 3500 in pug solo queue with it, and its the only mech i own that I hit 1k with enough for it to be 'regular'.

I propose 'ghost rate of fire'. 3+ Clan UAC's recieve a decrease in rate of fire, up to 30% when weilding 6. Although, i'm not the game dev... and this would only return it to it's pre recent patch state.

Edited by Axeface, 06 July 2015 - 06:24 PM.

#2 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:47 PM

not really less ammo you could never stop the bursts. I have no idea why they counted it per pellet anyway. It should have always been counted like IS ac ammo. It was a 100% buff to clan ac weapons.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 06 July 2015 - 05:49 PM.

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:50 PM

Dakkageddon?

Posted Image

Edited by El Bandito, 06 July 2015 - 05:51 PM.

#4 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:50 PM

The Dakka Whale has never once been anything but a trollerskates build. It is categorically inferior to a dual Gausslasers Whale in every manner except sheer vicarious thrill.

A Whale that can spike you for 30 heat-free damage at basically any range it pleases, followed by an eighty-point energy salvo, will never have anything to fear from something boating burstfire scatterguns. Sure, the Dakka Whale may actually start being moderately threatening instead of a great joke, but it's still going to get absolutely rocked by Gigaspikes.

#5 Axeface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 655 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:52 PM

View Post1453 R, on 06 July 2015 - 05:50 PM, said:

The Dakka Whale has never once been anything but a trollerskates build. It is categorically inferior to a dual Gausslasers Whale in every manner except sheer vicarious thrill.

A Whale that can spike you for 30 heat-free damage at basically any range it pleases, followed by an eighty-point energy salvo, will never have anything to fear from something boating burstfire scatterguns. Sure, the Dakka Whale may actually start being moderately threatening instead of a great joke, but it's still going to get absolutely rocked by Gigaspikes.

I disagree, unless you are talking about comp? A dakkawhale shooting at you completely negates your mech. It's suppression is unsurpassed except maybe for a dedicated LRM boat with help.

Edited by Axeface, 06 July 2015 - 05:53 PM.

#6 Aresye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:52 PM

View PostAxeface, on 06 July 2015 - 05:46 PM, said:

I have seen someone (xghostx or xlichx or something like that) pull 3500 in pug solo queue with it...

Pics or it didn't happen, because that's a major pile of BS.

#7 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:54 PM

Yeah, I just ran my Whales a few times over the past week and came to re-appreciate how deadly they can be, whether that be a mixed UAC build, or the easy-peasy 4xUAC10 build.

We are going to see a lot more dakka starting tomorrow.

View PostAresye Kerensky, on 06 July 2015 - 05:52 PM, said:

Yeah, I've never heard of anyone breaking 3000, as that would require far too much ammo. I have however seen people break 2000 from time to time. Always with a whale of course.

#8 Axeface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 655 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:56 PM

I'll look through my screenshot directory because I think I did SS it. It was during an event quite a while ago, maybe a year ago (really it was 3500).

Edited by Axeface, 06 July 2015 - 05:56 PM.

#9 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:59 PM

I'm going to take a "wait and see" stance on this one. Clan ACs are getting a nice buff, but time will tell if this ends up making C-UACs all that and a coke.

#10 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:08 PM

View PostAxeface, on 06 July 2015 - 05:56 PM, said:

I'll look through my screenshot directory because I think I did SS it. It was during an event quite a while ago, maybe a year ago (really it was 3500).

CW wouldn't be surprising, but a solo pug drop would.

Also, the more I think about it, 4xUAC10 is going to be the big winner. Not only is each bullet going to do 3.33 (2.5 before) damage, but ammo per ton stays the same at 60. That means you're getting 1/4 more damage per ton, allowing you to add backup weapons to a 4xUAC10 build, something that usually compromises longevity. Now 4xERSL as a backup is an easy shoe-in. I'm excited for my Whales.

Edited by Greenjulius, 06 July 2015 - 06:09 PM.

#11 Axeface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 655 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:09 PM

Ok I have a pic with the guy at 2032 damage, and coincidentally as I was looking for it I found 3 1.2k+ games in my dakka whale :D One mech that has ever beaten it was my fluke 1.6k Shadowhawk 2k game.

Maybe that 2032 game is the one I am thinking of and my memory is infliating it, or maybe I just didnt take a shot - in any case, we cant sit here any argue that the dakka wolf isn't the mech with the highest damage potential (not CW) can we?

Am I wrong to be worried about tomorrows patch? As a 100% pugger.

Edited by Axeface, 06 July 2015 - 06:10 PM.

#12 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:11 PM

View PostAxeface, on 06 July 2015 - 06:09 PM, said:

Ok I have a pic with the guy at 2032 damage, and coincidentally as I was looking for it I found 3 1.2k+ games in my dakka whale :D One mech that has ever beaten it was my fluke 1.6k Shadowhawk 2k game.

Maybe that 2032 game is the one I am thinking of and my memory is infliating it, or maybe I just didnt take a shot - in any case, we cant sit here any argue that the dakka wolf isn't the mech with the highest damage potential (not CW) can we?

That's more likely... I know mechspecs is the place for braggers to post their games, and I've personally never seen more than 2500 posted by a user. There are definitely a collection of pilots who've run over 2000 damage however. It's quite an exclusive club. :)

#13 Thunder Child

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:19 PM

Rather than messing with weapon mechanics, why not just make it even MOAR WAHLE. Reduce the turning speed by another 10-15%, so that even an Atlas can circle it to death, and then the only people that will ever die to it will be those that engage in staring contests (kind of like now, actually).

Edit: Actually, make it 25% turning reduction, and then even my Stock Urbie will be able to get behind it and stay there.

Edited by Thunder Child, 06 July 2015 - 06:22 PM.

#14 Axeface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 655 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:20 PM

View PostThunder Child, on 06 July 2015 - 06:19 PM, said:

Rather than messing with weapon mechanics, why not just make it even MOAR WAHLE. Reduce the turning speed by another 10-15%, so that even an Atlas can circle it to death, and then the only people that will ever die to it will be those that engage in staring contests (kind of like now, actually).

That wouldnt negate it's killing potential, which is the problem.

I am a person that likes battletech, its the only reason I play this game - the more they try to let people deal sustained and burst damage to single components, the more annoyed I get.

#15 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:22 PM

View PostAxeface, on 06 July 2015 - 06:09 PM, said:

Am I wrong to be worried about tomorrows patch? As a 100% pugger.

I've broken 1300 in a Zeus 6S (AC10, LRM15, 4xML). Can a DireDakka out damage every other mech in the game? Hypothetically? No, because it will eventually run out of ammo. In practical application? Dires in general pack a better combination of raw firepower and sustained DPS than most mechs, while I'm not about to say they can't be topped, I will say that the best Dire Wolf players will be difficult to outperform.

I run solo queue almost exclusively as well. Am I worried? No, it's just a video game. Will it be unbalanced? Dunno. But I'm more curious than anything else. The next few days will be interesting.

#16 Axeface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 655 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:26 PM

View PostEscef, on 06 July 2015 - 06:22 PM, said:

I run solo queue almost exclusively as well. Am I worried? No, it's just a video game.

I take fairness a little too seriously, it's a flaw of mine :ph34r:

View PostEscef, on 06 July 2015 - 06:22 PM, said:

But I'm more curious than anything else. The next few days will be interesting.

It will indeed, but the reason I am so worried is that I think I know what I will be able to do with a dakka whale with these buffs. I'm not that good, so what will others do with it? Meh, can they just bring convergence and cone of fire please <_<

Edited by Axeface, 06 July 2015 - 06:27 PM.

#17 Thunder Child

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:35 PM

Big CBT fan here too Axeface. I'd LOVE a Cone of Fire too, but apparently it takes away player "Skillz".
Personally, I'd love to see MWO follow the MW:LL line of development.... eventually..... when they get around to it.
But outright nerfing the Whales Damage output? No. It's the Direwhale. It dedicates roughly half it's tonnage to Firepower. That's what it is known for. That's what it should be capable of doing. Reduce the torso twist? Slow it down? Reduce the turn rate? Sure. But leave it with it's OMGWTFROFLMAOBBQ Firepower.

#18 Gamuray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 866 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:43 PM

The lb2-x machinegun has just been upgraded to a uac2 machinegun. B) Fear the dps mortals! :D

#19 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:53 PM

View PostGamuray, on 06 July 2015 - 06:43 PM, said:

The lb2-x machinegun has just been upgraded to a uac2 machinegun. B) Fear the dps mortals! :D

That means the Dire can finally directly match the 6xAC2 crab... which is just okay.

Edit: 6xUAC2 leaves you with plenty of room for lasers to back it up however. I could see some sort of suppression role coming from a silly build with 6xUAC2s.

Edited by Greenjulius, 06 July 2015 - 06:57 PM.

#20 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:53 PM

Thread needs more pics of the king crab skin with the word "DAKKA" written on its pincer forearm.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users