310 replies to this topic

#101 Mattrixx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 108 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:01 AM

I too would like to see a rascally little Urbie runni... going about. Hell, I'd even get one and go about it in my self from time to time. ;)

#102 Reoh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:04 AM

Urbies, claptraps of the BT Universe.

#103 Boneripper

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 78 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA.

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:27 AM

I thought that the Urbie was where all good mech warriors go to die!! ;)

#104 Sean von Steinike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:52 AM

View PostBoneripper, on 06 July 2012 - 12:27 AM, said:

I thought that the Urbie was where all good mech warriors go to die!! :D

No no no....it's where all troublemaker mech warriors go to die. You know, like the penal battalions the Soviets used in WW2. Get court-martialed and you are assigned an Urbie.

#105 Buck Rogers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationMica Majority

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:50 PM

An AC-10 packs a 10 damage point punch which will slam into one hit location, and has a range of up to 450 meters.

Yeah, the Jenner can fire 4 medium lasers at once for 20 damage points, but only at 270 meters or less, and those 4 lasers could hit 4 different hit locations.

Now, if it's one thing World Of Tanks has taught me it's that most people think that if a vehicle is fast, that means this is an advantage, and rushing to meet the enemy is the best way to exploit it. Seasoned tacticians know that's wrong, but I guarantee you that a lot of MWO players will think "My Jenner goes 118kph! CHARGE!". Happens in almost every WoT game if someone has a fast tank.

Well, my point is, if the enemy is coming to the Urbanmech, not the other way around, then Tank Destroyer style tactics will let the Urbanmech achieve success quite a lot of the time. Urbanmech has 2 tons more armor and a longer punch than the Jenner.

Urbanmechs weapons & low speed limits your combat options to: Defend, Snipe, & Support.

Jenners weapons & high speed means your options are: Flank, Charge, Reconnoiter, Defend, Support.

Now, which mechs combat options would be harder to pull off successfully? Which mech would your average "noob" die in faster?

Mechwarrior Online will be as much about the players as the mechs. I guarantee you there will be a lot of "LOL i'ma charge'em with my speedy speed mech!". And when that happens, an equally "noob" Urbanmech player will waddle into view, fart out a few AC-10 rounds, and then feel very accomplished that they took down that enemy.

For a new player, being very fast will often get you killed far quicker and more pointlessly than being very slow. Anybody who's played WoT knows exactly what I'm talking about.

Edited by Buck Rogers, 07 July 2012 - 01:06 AM.

#106 Gozer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 368 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:03 AM

All support for Urbie craziness. ;)

#107 Valkeminator

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 57 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand.

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:45 AM

Come to think of it, if they included the Urbie in game as a cheap disposable unit, I can see it being a *Bait* unit :D

If not, they probably should create a game mode where you can only pilot Urbies... DEFENCE OF THE URBIES!

... If not we can also have a survival mode where we will have to fight against hordes of undead Urbies... Some of them happened to be ones which we destroyed countless times seeking for revenge and approval...

View PostSean von Steinike, on 06 July 2012 - 01:52 AM, said:

No no no....it's where all troublemaker mech warriors go to die. You know, like the penal battalions the Soviets used in WW2. Get court-martialed and you are assigned an Urbie.

Or this, assign the Urbie to a lancemate/squadmember who lost a bet... ;) All just for the Lulz. Hell, give them the bonus of it being a founder mech too!!

I do want an urbie bobble head for my mech though.

Edited by Valkeminator, 07 July 2012 - 12:47 AM.

#108 takashi

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Locationhttp://www.nilaya112.com/tracking.html

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:54 AM

View PostBuck Rogers, on 06 July 2012 - 11:50 PM, said:

An AC-10 packs a 10 damage point punch which will slam into one hit location, and has a range of up to 1,500 meters.

Nice post ;) but from memory, those ranges seem way off...

#109 Buck Rogers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationMica Majority

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:05 AM

View Posttakashi, on 07 July 2012 - 12:54 AM, said:

Nice post ;) but from memory, those ranges seem way off...

Translating the numbers from the mech tables always confuses me. An AC-10 has a maximum range of 15 hexes on the tabletop board game. I thought 1 hex was 100 meters? Or is it 10 meters...? Well now that I typed it out 100 meters per hex is obviously wrong.

Ok, the internet tells me it's 30 meters per hex. I'll go edit those numbers.

#110 Combatant

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:30 AM

Most 'mechs have a place on the field, the urban mech is no different. Cheap cost, good starting gun, good armor, and good upgrade potential, it'll be compleatly possible for 2 or 3 of them to take down an Atlas.

Besides, I'm sure we'll see the urbie before the Timber Wolf. Prolly even before we'll see the clan invasion. But when we do, I'm naming mine Wall-E.

Also, bump for a urbie bobble head.

Edited by Combatant, 07 July 2012 - 01:31 AM.

#111 BlackAbbot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationSecret UrbanMech Production Facility

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:30 AM

View PostBuck Rogers, on 06 July 2012 - 11:50 PM, said:

An AC-10 packs a 10 damage point punch which will slam into one hit location, and has a range of up to 450 meters.

Yeah, the Jenner can fire 4 medium lasers at once for 20 damage points, but only at 270 meters or less, and those 4 lasers could hit 4 different hit locations.

Now, if it's one thing World Of Tanks has taught me it's that most people think that if a vehicle is fast, that means this is an advantage, and rushing to meet the enemy is the best way to exploit it. Seasoned tacticians know that's wrong, but I guarantee you that a lot of MWO players will think "My Jenner goes 118kph! CHARGE!". Happens in almost every WoT game if someone has a fast tank.

Well, my point is, if the enemy is coming to the Urbanmech, not the other way around, then Tank Destroyer style tactics will let the Urbanmech achieve success quite a lot of the time. Urbanmech has 2 tons more armor and a longer punch than the Jenner.

Urbanmechs weapons & low speed limits your combat options to: Defend, Snipe, & Support.

Jenners weapons & high speed means your options are: Flank, Charge, Reconnoiter, Defend, Support.

Now, which mechs combat options would be harder to pull off successfully? Which mech would your average "noob" die in faster?

Mechwarrior Online will be as much about the players as the mechs. I guarantee you there will be a lot of "LOL i'ma charge'em with my speedy speed mech!". And when that happens, an equally "noob" Urbanmech player will waddle into view, fart out a few AC-10 rounds, and then feel very accomplished that they took down that enemy.

For a new player, being very fast will often get you killed far quicker and more pointlessly than being very slow. Anybody who's played WoT knows exactly what I'm talking about.

This.

Add to this that not only will your 4 MLs likely not have full convergence, they are a DoT weapon in MWO so if you don't keep that reticule locked on exactly the same spot that damage is going to spread even more. Good luck with that when that AC/10 knocks you on your arse. That's assuming the Urbie pilot hasn't decided to swap out for a Gauss or 3 AC/2's or 2 AC/5's and you can actually get in range to even fire your ML's before you're cored.

But really, like any good TD pilot the point an Urbie pilot should be making himself known to you is when his name pops up on your death screen. Even the maps that have been shown so far, which would hardly be described as 'urban combat' have so many good spots for a ambush ganker to lurk it's not even funny.

#112 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:36 AM

Anyone can suceedin an Atlas or MadCat. If you can suceed in and Irbie, then you truly deserve respect.

#113 CaveMan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationIn a leather flying cap and goggles

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:47 AM

I want my Urbie customized as a lowrider.

#114 SnakePliskin

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL.

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:49 AM

are they going to have every mech everyone wants at start. NO. im sure youll se it at some point. absence makes the heart grow fonder. exersize some patience.

#115 Dhimmi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:52 AM

i *almost* feel sad for the urbie when i see that pic

#116 Prussian Havoc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationShenandoah, PA

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:57 AM

I agree - while it may be rare that the Urbie is a star in the center-ring... when conditions / driver talents combine, this mech does fight above his weight with greater frequency than should be possible. ...(perhaps the metagame will account for this!!!)...

#117 Buck Rogers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationMica Majority

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:01 AM

View PostSnakePliskin, on 07 July 2012 - 01:49 AM, said:

are they going to have every mech everyone wants at start. NO. im sure youll se it at some point. absence makes the heart grow fonder. exersize some patience.

One of the reasons us Urbanmech fans are so vocal, is because it would fit with the developers wishes perfectly.

- It's quite common in-universe, and is abundant in Liao space.
- We have no light mech that can mount autocannon weaponry so far.

The devs want various mechs in various roles per weight class. They also like the idea of these mechs being common in-universe.

Yeah, us Urbie people are persistent, but we're logically persistent. I like the Warhammer/Marauder/Madcat as much as the next person. But for various reasons, those will not be in the game at launch.

There are 2 light mech designs the devs could choose from if they want to be consistent with their mech choice philosophy. Firestarter, or Urbanmech. Both are quite common in-universe, not unseen, from the appropriate time, and are good mechs. I'd bet money that one of them will be in the game at launch.

I, and a large group of others, just want it to be the Urbanmech, and there's no harm in being enthusiastic about it ;) .

#118 Alex Wolfe

• 2,359 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:09 AM

I wonder what will happen when the beloved trashcan is finally added.

My bet, people will suddenly remember that it's a game with no respawns, and they're stuck with a mech too slow to maneuver and pick its battles, too lightly armored to withstand slugfests and too lightly armed to really make a difference. It's like somebody was making a hunchback, but ran out of resources mid-way. Essentially, an "adorable", rotund coffin.

Seriously, the mech was created to be cannon fodder. I realize that it's "oh so pwetty and tiny and potentially so badass if you win with it", but at the end of the day, in a multiplayer environment I forsee few people willing to actually play as cannon fodder.

#119 Elkarlo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:20 AM

One thing to think about:
A AC/10 have a weight of 12 Tons 13 with ammo.
An Urbi got the 10 Default Heatsinks.

He got one Ballistic and one Energy Mount.

My suggestion:

Light Laser AC/10 out,
PPC in, MG in 8 tons used up.
0.5 Tons more Armor (for the light laser)
So we got another ton free for MG ammo and 3 heatsinks.

And suddenly the Urbanmech is a pesty longrange sniper, which could even use a ER-PPC.
You can jump to sniping positions and you are a damm small Target.
Damage profil stays the same.

Edited by Elkarlo, 07 July 2012 - 02:20 AM.

#120 Uri Brauer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:27 AM

View PostProtection, on 05 July 2012 - 02:10 AM, said:

I will keep this up until we get the Urbie...

If you keep it up that long you should probably seek medical attention.

59 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 59 guests, 0 anonymous users