Would You Be Upset If Mwo Had More Advanced Jumpjets?

45 replies to this topic

#1 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 11 July 2015 - 05:53 AM

I'll keep this short and sweet:

In "MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat" from 1995, mechs with jump jets had 6 different jump jet buttons. If I recall correctly, it was something like:

Insert - Spin left
Home - Jump forward
Page Up - Spin right
Delete - Strafe left
End - Jump backwards
Page Down - Strafe right

So my question is simple. How would you feel if PGI suddenly implemented these advanced controls in the next MWO patch? And would you prefer it if 6 controls were only available to mechs with a certain number of jump jets, for example?

#2 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 11 July 2015 - 05:58 AM

Would I be upset? Hell no, I'd be jumping for joy (excuse the pun).

JJs in MWO are the sorriest implementation of jump jets I've ever come across in any game.

Just about any other implementation would be an improvement.

#3 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 11 July 2015 - 05:58 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 11 July 2015 - 05:53 AM, said:

In "MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat" from 1995, mechs with jump jets had 6 different jump jet buttons. If I recall correctly, it was something like:

Insert - Spin left
Home - Jump forward
Page Up - Spin right
Delete - Strafe left
End - Jump backwards
Page Down - Strafe right

So my question is simple. How would you feel if PGI suddenly implemented these advanced controls in the next MWO patch? And would you prefer it if 6 controls were only available to mechs with a certain number of jump jets, for example?

I'd be all for it, as long as it was implemented in the name of maneuverability, and didn't herald the triumphant return of the 33rd irregular poptart brigade.

#4 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 11 July 2015 - 05:59 AM

ANYTHING would be better than the pathetic excuse for Jump Jets we have now.

#5 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 11 July 2015 - 06:00 AM

Just as long as it is not spammy, with appropriate cooldown after each jump, I am fine with it.

#6 Yosharian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 06:08 AM

I'd settle for forwards + backwards jump ability.

#7 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 06:17 AM

View PostYosharian, on 11 July 2015 - 06:08 AM, said:

I'd settle for forwards + backwards jump ability.

Isn't that sorta-kinda what we have, but implemented in the most rudimentary way possible? Run forward, jump = jump forwards. Run backwards, jump = jump backwards.

#8 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 11 July 2015 - 06:47 AM

View PostKiiyor, on 11 July 2015 - 05:58 AM, said:

I'd be all for it, as long as it was implemented in the name of maneuverability, and didn't herald the triumphant return of the 33rd irregular poptart brigade.

So how would it need to be implemented to counter the obvious advantages of more advanced controls?

I wish light mechs at least had something similar to Hawken jump jets, allowing them to do advanced maneuvers in the air while shooting. I don't think it would make them OP at all, because drifting around in the sky at slow speeds is kind of risky for a light mech. But it would make brawling a lot more fun as a light mech, especially when collisions are implemented. When we get real collisions in this game, light mechs are going to have a really bad time.

View PostEl Bandito, on 11 July 2015 - 06:00 AM, said:

Just as long as it is not spammy, with appropriate cooldown after each jump, I am fine with it.

Is the cooldown a big issue though? Maybe it's part of the problem, but I always figured the main issue was the ability to land ~30 damage with pinpoint accuracy while flying, and then instantly dropping out of view.

#9 AlexEss

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 11 July 2015 - 06:58 AM

I am actually happy with how they work now... I would not like to see 8-way directional jets. Sure the heavy and assault jets are pretty useless and i´ could see them getting a bump at the cost of more weight or higher crit chance.. After all 10 meters of plasmaducts and some rocket grade exhaust combined with computers nobody really understand how they work and things should be prone to break.

But i guess heavy and assault pilots would not like that idea.. So my vote is keep it as it is.

#10 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:00 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 11 July 2015 - 05:53 AM, said:

Insert - Spin left
Home - Jump forward
Page Up - Spin right
Delete - Strafe left
End - Jump backwards
Page Down - Strafe right

I WOULD LOVE IT!

Provided the jets get more boost, too.

However, in order to do this, they would need to remove all terrain movement penalties from non-jump jet 'mechs.

#11 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:01 AM

I'd much rather jump jets have immensely more thrust for a reduced duration. I'd like to see jump jets catapult your mech into the air - the higher speed making it harder to hit you, but also making fire more difficult for you too. It'd make them much more exciting to use.

#12 Dettmam

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 115 posts
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:32 AM

I believe the spider should fly!

#13 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:41 AM

I think having 6 dedicated buttons for jumpjet control would be a little too fiddly to handle.

But it should be possible to increase JJ maneuverability by increasing the contextual control using the normal WASD key + Q and E for strafing. That would be awesome.

I definitely think a change of that magnitude would require some kind of CoF mechanic to simulated inaccuracy in the air though, otherwise it would just be too powerful.

I would look at Robocrafts solution to that, it's very good. In Robocraft your reticule is larger or smaller depending on your stability in the air, turbulence at different heights and the sway adds naturally to that with the physics based flight system. You have to consider in air stability when you build your robot and decide where to place rotor blades, wings, hoverblades and thrusters in relation to your shape and weight.

Of course MWO could not hope to have that kind of complex flight system, but some of it could be ported such as the inaccuracy mechanic and air stabilisation.

It would also be interesting if the placement of jumpjets in different body parts had different effects on you mech, for example it should unbalance your mech if you place them asymmetrically, leg JJs could give more upward thrust, CT JJs could give more forward thrust and ST JJs could give faster turning.

Edited by Sjorpha, 11 July 2015 - 07:50 AM.

#14 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:47 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 11 July 2015 - 07:01 AM, said:

I'd much rather jump jets have immensely more thrust for a reduced duration. I'd like to see jump jets catapult your mech into the air - the higher speed making it harder to hit you, but also making fire more difficult for you too. It'd make them much more exciting to use.

I've been known to argue for this as well.

A tap of the jump jets should catapult your 'mech 30 meters {forward|backward|left|right} and 6 meters up. Continue to hold the jump button and you'll gain distance and elevation up to a max of (30 m * number of jump jets distance, 6 m * number of jump jets elevation).

That would make them extremely useful for maneuvering, but all but useless for pop-tarting (as there would always be a horizontal component to the jump five times larger than the vertical component). The speed of the jump would make firing in the air difficult enough that reticule shake might not even be needed.

Edit: Come to think of it, it might even be okay if there was no horizontal component unless you held a direction key (WASD), provided the tap always popped you 6 metres up fast enough. Pop-tarting needs slow, highly controllable jumps; fast, less controllable jumps like this might be enough that pop-tarts wouldn't be all the rage again.

Edited by stjobe, 11 July 2015 - 07:51 AM.

#15 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:49 AM

I'd love it.

#16 Thorqemada

• 6,371 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 08:01 AM

Yes - it would break more than fix...

#17 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 08:08 AM

I am not opposed to jump jets for mobility, but it would have to come with a 'no shooting' in air, or no shooting within 1 sec of pressing jump. Additionally I would like to see a stricter 1 jump per 10 seconds requirement.

#18 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,062 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 11 July 2015 - 08:11 AM

MechWarrior 2's only fault was jump jets allowed speed massively in excess of walking speeds. The ability to side strafe and quickly rotate were a joy.

#19 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 08:22 AM

They already give a decent advantage over non-JJ mechs. If you took it further. There would need to be a counter balance. Like more heat or weight.

#20 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 11 July 2015 - 08:25 AM

I would have to learn or at least try to learn something new... Bonus!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users