Hsr Really? What About Real Damage?

32 replies to this topic

#1 Yanlowen Cage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:51 AM

Ok yah! HSR is better for large mechs. Fine with that.
But my real damage issue is that I avoid contact. creep up behind a hunchie and do a forty alpha full blast into it's rear ct. and BAM! no armor, but also no death. That is enuff damage to pierce the rear armor, destroy the internal structure and start chewing out the front armor.
I have tried this on several mechs and on two seperate hunchies. one was all at once and one was chain fire. still no joy.
O0k fix HSR, fine. But stop handcapping damage that hits the rear. Staple of lights is the hit and run. but when you can't kill the enemy quickly because of some sort of ghost armor that stops one or even two shot kills from the rear, you have handicapped a light and med just as bad as poor HSR handicaps heavies and assaults.

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:55 AM

Are you sure you managed to put all 40 damage in one spot? It is theoretically possible to core out an HBK with such damage, since the internal of its CT is 32, plus 8 or less rear armor. If you have Nvidia card, use Shadowplay to record such happenstances.

Edited by El Bandito, 13 July 2015 - 09:56 AM.

#3 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:55 AM

With the Structure Buff you need more then 40 pts most the time to kill them. 32 structure plus 10 on the back equals 42....

Quirks my friend....

Edited by DarthRevis, 13 July 2015 - 09:56 AM.

#4 Solahma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 1,364 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNerv HQ, Tokyo-3

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:57 AM

View PostDarthRevis, on 13 July 2015 - 09:55 AM, said:

With the Structure Buff you need more then 40 pts most the time to kill them. 32 structure plus 10 on the back equals 42....

Quirks my friend....

Hunchie doesn't have CT armor or structure quirks bruh.

#5 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:58 AM

Quirks my friend....

HBKs do not have CT structure quirks. :huh:

*Ninjaed*

Edited by El Bandito, 13 July 2015 - 09:59 AM.

#6 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:58 AM

Quirks my friend....

He would need more than 40 on mine before quirks existed. I've never been a proponent of minimal rear armor.

Edited by Bilbo, 13 July 2015 - 10:02 AM.

#7 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:01 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 13 July 2015 - 09:58 AM, said:

HBKs do not have CT structure quirks. :huh:

*Ninjaed*

Well you will have to excuse me then as i hate them and dont play them.

Just the ST's then huh? Because that ST has more armor then VTR do in the CT.

and 8 armor is really low on the back....you are brave if you roll that low. I play lights a lot so i will have to remember that if i ever see you out on the battlefield! :P

Edited by DarthRevis, 13 July 2015 - 10:05 AM.

#8 Solahma

• Fury
  • Fury
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:02 AM

Only mechs I've been able to get insta-kill backshots, consistently, is my Pulse boats. 8x MPL BJ-1X, 9x MPL Top Dog, 9-12x SPL SCR. Those all do about 50 damage and very VERY quick burns. Minimizes the chance of spreading damage and accounts for possible high back armor.

I feel like my soul becomes a little more black each time I do it though, wouldn't recommend it if you're going for spiritual happiness, pretty sure i'm going to hell for the amount of times i've done it in the past few days alone.

Edited by Solahma, 13 July 2015 - 10:03 AM.

#9 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:10 AM

View PostDarthRevis, on 13 July 2015 - 10:01 AM, said:

Well you will have to excuse me then as i hate them and dont play them.

Just the ST's then huh? Because that ST has more armor then VTR do in the CT.

and 8 armor is really low on the back....you are brave if you roll that low. I play lights a lot so i will have to remember that if i ever see you out on the battlefield! :P

All of my mechs, even the slow-assed Dakka Whale has 3-4 armor max in rear CT. You are welcome to try to kill me.

#10 Ovion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:12 AM

If the Hunchie had more than 9 rear armour, or you missed with even one set of ticks, it won't go down in one of 40.
2 certainly, but not one.

What mech are you in?
What range?
What weapons? (I Assume lasers)
Did every tick definately hit the same component?
Did the oponent twist?
And even after all that, if they had 9 or more rear armour, that's not enough to one-shot them.
With 'balanced' (3:1) armour, a Hunchie would have 16 rear.

#11 Yanlowen Cage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:13 AM

Again, not just hunchies. I have snuck up on ravens 40 alpha. not insta kill. But I have noticed that if I chainfire into the rear of the raven quickly (Basically alphastrike) I can insta kill them. I am getting the thought that All weapons fired at once on the rear (and maybe the front) actually do reduced damage. I think this may be a Hit reg issue because of the number of weapons hitting at once or an intentional debuff to stop insta kills. I have noticed that larger weapons(say 2 aC 20S OR 2 GAUSS) do not suffer from this. Been one shot many a time by said configs.

#12 Yanlowen Cage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:19 AM

Firestarter 8 med lasers
less than 90 meters
full blast to the rear ct. only armor that glowed and he didn't move for about a second after my fire ended. Didn't know I was there.
End of shot shows his armor rear gone, internal crit red ct, front armor red outlined with yellow. I assume that meant he was crit ct internal and yellowed front armor.

#13 Solahma

• Fury
  • Fury
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:20 AM

View PostOvion, on 13 July 2015 - 10:12 AM, said:

If the Hunchie had more than 9 rear armour, or you missed with even one set of ticks, it won't go down in one of 40.
2 certainly, but not one.

I should also mention that you don't have to have an alpha that exceeds the total structure+armor. Any crits will immediately ad 15% more damage to internal structure. Depending on what you hit with and how many weapons make up that alpha, there is a very good chance to be doing 15% more damage with half of you weapons. So if you have a 40 point alpha, you can reasonably assume you would actually inflict 43 points of damage if you penetrated the armor. Also, that is only with 1x crits. There is also the chance of getting 2x or even 3x crits... you could see as much as a 58 point hit if each weapon got a 3x crit.

#14 Solahma

• Fury
  • Fury
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:24 AM

View PostYanlowen Cage, on 13 July 2015 - 10:19 AM, said:

Firestarter 8 med lasers
less than 90 meters
full blast to the rear ct. only armor that glowed and he didn't move for about a second after my fire ended. Didn't know I was there.
End of shot shows his armor rear gone, internal crit red ct, front armor red outlined with yellow. I assume that meant he was crit ct internal and yellowed front armor.

record it. Unless you show people the issue you are facing, it's hard to just take your word for it. More often than not, people who experience these issues simply aren't hitting where they think they are or their aim is worse than advertised.

Fact is, many people do not have this issue. Others do and I would advise them do the same thing and record it for a talking point. Two things are bound to happen. Either you didn't actually hit all of your damage to one location, or your registration is in-fact bad.

One thing is for sure. Telling me that you emptied a 40 point alpha into the rear CT of a raven and it not even ripping armor off is something I will not take your word for unless you show me.

#15 DjPush

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:32 AM

I can't insta-kill a mech! Game must be broken!

#16 MikeBend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 536 posts
  • LocationUnderhive

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:36 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 13 July 2015 - 10:10 AM, said:

All of my mechs, even the slow-assed Dakka Whale has 3-4 armor max in rear CT. You are welcome to try to kill me.

Huginn approves.

#17 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:40 AM

View PostYanlowen Cage, on 13 July 2015 - 09:51 AM, said:

Ok yah! HSR is better for large mechs. Fine with that.
But my real damage issue is that I avoid contact. creep up behind a hunchie and do a forty alpha full blast into it's rear ct. and BAM! no armor, but also no death. That is enuff damage to pierce the rear armor, destroy the internal structure and start chewing out the front armor.
I have tried this on several mechs and on two seperate hunchies. one was all at once and one was chain fire. still no joy.
O0k fix HSR, fine. But stop handcapping damage that hits the rear. Staple of lights is the hit and run. but when you can't kill the enemy quickly because of some sort of ghost armor that stops one or even two shot kills from the rear, you have handicapped a light and med just as bad as poor HSR handicaps heavies and assaults.

I experience the same when I do backstabbings with my light mechs. However, this is not restricted to Hunchies. It takes suspciously many hits in the back to do real damage despite you can be sure the mech should have hardly any armour at the back.

Edited by Bush Hopper, 13 July 2015 - 10:40 AM.

#18 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:43 AM

View PostBush Hopper, on 13 July 2015 - 10:40 AM, said:

I experience the same when I do backstabbings with my light mechs. However, this is not restricted to Hunchies. It takes suspciously many hits in the back to do real damage despite you can be sure the mech should have hardly any armour at the back.

Out of curiosity, how can you be sure they have hardly any armor at the back?

#19 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:47 AM

View PostBilbo, on 13 July 2015 - 10:43 AM, said:

Out of curiosity, how can you be sure they have hardly any armor at the back?

You want to imply that nearly all mechs - medium and heavies seem to have like 15 back armour on all location? Yup, sounds very likely.

#20 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:53 AM

View PostBush Hopper, on 13 July 2015 - 10:47 AM, said:

You want to imply that nearly all mechs - medium and heavies seem to have like 15 back armour on all location? Yup, sounds very likely.

All mine have at least that in the CT, ST generally carry a little less, but I don't use XL's so it's not a huge concern.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users